IGNORED

Amy and the Pickle 5: Trekking to TLC

choralcrusader8613

She says she will be working there full-time, so it does sound like a legitimate job, not a volunteer gig. But she does not have any professional training, does she? Neither in social work/counseling nor in nursing or any related fields. She says she will be "mentoring" these girls - what does that even mean?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

It’s interesting that the Turpins hit Amy hard. I wonder if she realized that she’s been participating in a TV show that glamorizes very large families, and sometimes having a very large family turns out very, very badly. (Although the Turpins are clearly more about mental illness than family size.)

• Upvote 1

Probably a type of group home? They have staff that are not social workers. Like house parents that do not reside there. Can be tough though. We shall see...

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

Probably a type of group home? They have staff that are not social workers. Like house parents that do not reside there. Can be tough though. We shall see...

That's what I'm thinking.  You're right, it can be tough.  My foster nephew was placed with my sis and BIL because he was assaulted in a group home.  Glad she's acting on something rather than just talking about it, but I have a feeling she'll learn more from the girls she will be mentoring than they will from her.  In any case, I hope it works out.  

Edited by Snarkasarus Rex
bad grammar
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

Maybe she knows (thinks? assumes?) the Turpins had all those kids because of the fame of the Duggars. Yes, I know some of the Turpins are the same age/older than Duggar kids, plus nobody really knew who the Duggars were until there were 14 of them (outside of their general area) right? 

But maybe she feels some sort of guilt or obligation to “make it up” to people because of the perceived/real influence of her family on that family?

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

I don’t know...Amy’s made some slip-ups. But perhaps she’s the one who can grow and evolve from her relatives.  I’m still willing to give her a chance in the world.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

On 7/1/2018 at 3:09 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

It’s interesting that the Turpins hit Amy hard. I wonder if she realized that she’s been participating in a TV show that glamorizes very large families, and sometimes having a very large family turns out very, very badly. (Although the Turpins are clearly more about mental illness than family size.)

There were a lot of people comparing them to the Duggars when the news came out, based on size and also how they were dressed.  I think the situation definitely hit her hard because of her own family. I don’t think she felt any guilt, nor should she,  but I do think she feels sad for her cousins. 

Edited by Illmarryyoujana
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

So I believe Amy’s Instagram is set to private (I am part of an elite group of 369 thousand followers...don’t be jealous) but with the new ‘ask me a question’ feature in Insta stories, there were two questions about her cousins and their relationship. Basically how she feels about them and who she was closest to. She answers ‘No comment’ and then says she had lots of school friends and was content as an only child growing up.

Just interesting that she is clearly not allowed to discuss them at all anymore. Far cry from when she was inserted into every situation as a storyline. 

I can post screenshots if her insta isn’t private anymore but I thought I’d err on the side of caution. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

40 minutes ago, AnnEggBlandHer? said:

So I believe Amy’s Instagram is set to private (I am part of an elite group of 369 thousand followers...don’t be jealous) but with the new ‘ask me a question’ feature in Insta stories, there were two questions about her cousins and their relationship. Basically how she feels about them and who she was closest to. She answers ‘No comment’ and then says she had lots of school friends and was content as an only child growing up.

Just interesting that she is clearly not allowed to discuss them at all anymore. Far cry from when she was inserted into every situation as a storyline. 

I can post screenshots if her insta isn’t private anymore but I thought I’d err on the side of caution. 

It’s still private. :) 

• Thank You 4

2 hours ago, AnnEggBlandHer? said:

I'm glad she's respecting their wish that she not discuss them anymore. HOWEVER: I don't understand what she was doing with the "ask me a question" feature then. Literally the only thing she is known for is being on her famous cousins' show. So OF COURSE the majority of the questions would be about the Duggars. If she's can't/won't discuss them, then there's really no point in using the feature.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

I'm glad she's respecting their wish that she not discuss them anymore. HOWEVER: I don't understand what she was doing with the "ask me a question" feature then. Literally the only thing she is known for is being on her famous cousins' show. So OF COURSE the majority of the questions would be about the Duggars. If she's can't/won't discuss them, then there's really no point in using the feature.

She just started a new job apparently working with girls who have been through trauma, and most of the questions were about that, and her marriage, and silly stuff like her cats/favorite food/etc. there were probably 20 questions that she answered and only 2 about the Duggars

• Upvote 4

I wonder how much Amy is actually “working” with these kids. Is she counseling, even though she has no training to do so whatsoever? Or is she doing something like intaking their basic information or doing clerical work? My concern is that she is going to start posting about her job or what is going on with the kids and they lose their privacy. 

• Upvote 1

She’s been wearing scrubs in all these posts about going to work and she did give the name of the facility and her hours, which I thought was too much information to share. She also had a question (I can’t remember what) but answered that she went through ‘lots and lots’ of training for this job and she is doing it because she wants to make a difference. So far nothing specific about who these girls or women are or exactly what her job entails, but I agree that she is the type to say something damaging for the attention it will bring her. 

• Upvote 6

IF in fact she did get some training, she was also told about HIPAA and PHI and PII, and what is and is not allowed to be discussed.  Where she is working is fine to share, however, the second she starts sharing stories about these girls she is in some risky territory.  Those that work with this kinda info are pretty careful not to discuss anything of what we have seen/heard.  Better to not say anything than to get a bit too close to the edge

Edited by xlurker
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

22 hours ago, JillyO said:

Do we know that the main Duggar clan asked her not to discuss them? Or is Amy trying to separate & become her own public figure: related but not associated with? (Like Jenny McCarthy & Melissa McCarthy or Elizabeth Olsen & MK&A Olsen)

I follow a handful of the girls & Amy on Instagram and I notice not only they don't "like" each other's stuff nor follow each other. (Amy vs. the rest of the girls) I find that super interesting. I brought this up before & someone mentioned just because you're family you aren't required to like or follow people just because they are family. Which i agree with, but in this case they are part of a famous family who spouts off about the importance of family so I just find all of that super interesting...Plus the fact that Amy did a birthday post for Jinger (to which Jinger liked) but still don't follow each other, yet, cherry pick things like this example to acknowledge. [/unnecessary analysis]

• Upvote 4

Re setting instagrams to private:  there's a new trend for accounts that specifically want more followers, to set to private to game the system and up their follower counts.  It used to be that going after getting on Instagram Explore was the best way to get follower boosts, but the big Insta meme accounts realised that going private meant people had to follow you to see your stuff - so if a link is shared by a follower, people have to follow to see it.  So they set to private and accept everyone, and apparently their follower counts have been rocketing, which is great for getting deals with brands.

It only works as a tool like that for accounts with significant numbers, who are likely to be shared around a lot anyway, but it's a trend that I imagine someone like Amy jumped on.  Here's more about it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/07/why-some-of-instagrams-biggest-memers-are-locking-their-accounts/564995/

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

10 hours ago, kachuu said:

Do we know that the main Duggar clan asked her not to discuss them? Or is Amy trying to separate & become her own public figure: related but not associated with? (Like Jenny McCarthy & Melissa McCarthy or Elizabeth Olsen & MK&A Olsen)

I follow a handful of the girls & Amy on Instagram and I notice not only they don't "like" each other's stuff nor follow each other. (Amy vs. the rest of the girls) I find that super interesting. I brought this up before & someone mentioned just because you're family you aren't required to like or follow people just because they are family. Which i agree with, but in this case they are part of a famous family who spouts off about the importance of family so I just find all of that super interesting...Plus the fact that Amy did a birthday post for Jinger (to which Jinger liked) but still don't follow each other, yet, cherry pick things like this example to acknowledge. [/unnecessary analysis]

Amy stated in the past that her extended family asked for her (and others) not to share much about them. I believe it was after the molestation scandal broke. If I’m remembering right then that was actually a smart decision on their part - it gave them a bit of privacy during a period of time that must have been horrible for the four daughters who were victimized and for Smuggar’s wife and children.

Edited by Coconut Flan
Duplicate.
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, Lurky said:

Re setting instagrams to private:  there's a new trend for accounts that specifically want more followers, to set to private to game the system and up their follower counts.  It used to be that going after getting on Instagram Explore was the best way to get follower boosts, but the big Insta meme accounts realised that going private meant people had to follow you to see your stuff - so if a link is shared by a follower, people have to follow to see it.  So they set to private and accept everyone, and apparently their follower counts have been rocketing, which is great for getting deals with brands.

It only works as a tool like that for accounts with significant numbers, who are likely to be shared around a lot anyway, but it's a trend that I imagine someone like Amy jumped on.  Here's more about it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/07/why-some-of-instagrams-biggest-memers-are-locking-their-accounts/564995/

This is why I thought dwreck went private a while back, but I didn't want to stop lurking then to say it

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

• 1 month later...

What; no snark on Dillon's new wedding ring choice? One of my family members did that. Family members are quite interestingly admiring of them. On what a good testimony it is, especially when people ask them "but what if you get divorced?" Come to think of it, I'm quite surprised none of the Duggar couples have done that yet, especially in light of the whole "covenant marriage" thing. It'd sure cement the deal, woudn't it? Now off to share that with the newest engaged couple in my world; I always hoped it'd become a trend.

52 minutes ago, BullyJBG said:

What; no snark on Dillon's new wedding ring choice? One of my family members did that. Family members are quite interestingly admiring of them. On what a good testimony it is, especially when people ask them "but what if you get divorced?" Come to think of it, I'm quite surprised none of the Duggar couples have done that yet, especially in light of the whole "covenant marriage" thing. It'd sure cement the deal, woudn't it? Now off to share that with the newest engaged couple in my world; I always hoped it'd become a trend.

For those who aren’t up to date on Amy’s Instagram, Dillon tattooed a K over a heart on his ring finger. He had to take his ring off a lot at work, so this is better.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7

On 9/8/2018 at 4:11 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

For those who aren’t up to date on Amy’s Instagram, Dillon tattooed a K over a heart on his ring finger. He had to take his ring off a lot at work, so this is better.

Thanks. Her IG is still private, so I can't see it for myself. I have to ask though: why the K, and not an A? I assume the K is for King, but that still seems like a very strange choice. It's his own last name.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

26 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Thanks. Her IG is still private, so I can't see it for myself. I have to ask though: why the K, and not an A? I assume the K is for King, but that still seems like a very strange choice. It's his own last name.

So if they get divorced he doesn’t have to get laser removal?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

39 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

So if they get divorced he doesn’t have to get laser removal?

That could likely be a part of it (or if Amy dies, God forbid). I think partner-name tattoos have a worse reputation than they did 20+ years ago (although tattoos as a whole have become more accepted), so I think it's likely that they wanted to make sure that it's really something that works for Dillon, on his body, forever.

At least, this has been my thinking in my own life. My boyfriend and I both love tattoos and consider the ones that we got together, by the same artist, in back-to-back sessions, our "couple/love" tattoos. The tattoos themselves have nothing to do with one another, but we have that nice memory and that's fine for us.

Maybe this has nothing to do with Dillon's thought process, but either way I think it's a nice tattoo. A pathology Instagram account I follow has recently been making posts about ring avulsion AKA "degloving" injuries (HUGE content warning if you choose to Google this- they're graphic, severe injuries), and it's completely changed the way I view wedding rings. It's basically when a ring gets caught on something and takes off skin/muscle tissue on its way off. 

If Dillon does a lot of manual labor with his hands but wants to enjoy the public marriage symbol of the ring, then I'd say this was actually a really good move on his part.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

That could likely be a part of it (or if Amy dies, God forbid). I think partner-name tattoos have a worse reputation than they did 20+ years ago (although tattoos as a whole have become more accepted), so I think it's likely that they wanted to make sure that it's really something that works for Dillon, on his body, forever.

At least, this has been my thinking in my own life. My boyfriend and I both love tattoos and consider the ones that we got together, by the same artist, in back-to-back sessions, our "couple/love" tattoos. The tattoos themselves have nothing to do with one another, but we have that nice memory and that's fine for us.

Maybe this has nothing to do with Dillon's thought process, but either way I think it's a nice tattoo. A pathology Instagram account I follow has recently been making posts about ring avulsion AKA "degloving" injuries (HUGE content warning if you choose to Google this- they're graphic, severe injuries), and it's completely changed the way I view wedding rings. It's basically when a ring gets caught on something and takes off skin/muscle tissue on its way off. 

If Dillon does a lot of manual labor with his hands but wants to enjoy the public marriage symbol of the ring, then I'd say this was actually a really good move on his part.

My husband opted for a tattoo instead of a wedding band when we got married. He has an engagement ring since it’s tradition in Sweden to exchange rings for the engagement and he didn’t want two rings.

The tattoo will totally work on him even if we would divorce. It has nothing to do with me and is of two native australian birds. 

My suggestion was that he get a rooster and a hen so that he could add on chickens if we had kids. Still can’t believe he didn’t go for that. :animals-chicken: :pb_lol:

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic