IGNORED

Amy and the Pickle 5: Trekking to TLC

choralcrusader8613

13 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Philippa Gregory has an entire series of novels set in The War of the Roses - along with an associated miniseries The White Queen (I think that was the name) that was on Starz (I believe).  

Yes. It's okay, but had its share of inaccuracies and anachronisms. The White Princess is coming up. It's based on Elizabeth of York and promises to be especially ludicrous.

• Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

It's "Beaufort." There's also a theory that she wasn't necessarily infertile, but understandably avoided sex. Her marriage contract with Lord Stanley, her third husband, said they wouldn't have sex. It's not known what she got up to or didn't with her second husband, but he had been married previously and had not fathered a child. She was also excessively religious even by the standards of the Middle Ages, and at the time it was considered sinful (by some fundie types) to have sex if there was no possibility of conception, even if you were married.

Thank you for the correction!  I NEVER spell anything French correctly, and I was writing at work and forgot to edit.  

50 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

@GeorgianaOr, marry the man who was related to recent monarchs. Dany is still very much in the game. Honestly though, I think I'd be surprised if he went this route entirely. He really enjoys being unpredictable and he's already stated the books are based off the War of the Roses (and Ivanhoe). I don't think he'd risk people guessing the ending that easily.

But yes! I highly agree that people interested should read up on the history. It's a fascinating period of time filled with horrific acts and a ridiculously colorful cast of characters. It exhibits both the very worst and very best of humanity.

This is true.  I think it's pretty clear in the books that "the dragon has three heads", so there will be three Targaryen claimants restoring the monarchy, which is somewhat essential as in the books, Dany will not bear children until the sun rises in the west and sets in the east.

Which may yet happen, if she passes under the shadow.  Who knows.

Of course, in the show I do not believe she has ever been said to be infertile AND one of the Targaryen claimants doesn't exist sooooo....

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

Philippa Gregory has an entire series of novels set in The War of the Roses - along with an associated miniseries The White Queen (I think that was the name) that was on Starz (I believe).  

And the actress who plays Catelyn Stark plays her historical counterpart in The White Princess!

• Upvote 6

You know Amy and Dill are boring when the drift is longer and better than anything having to do with them

• Upvote 20
  • Love 1

I have tried so hard to like Philippa Gregory, but man does she love Catherine of Aragon and hate Anne Boleyn! 

• Upvote 10

5 hours ago, Elvis Presby said:

OMG!  The Affair!  I can't sleep sitting up so I watched a lot of TV on the way to Italy.  Pretty sure I watched almost the entire first season of The Affair over the Atlantic.

The first season was the BEST :D 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SadieJane said:

You know Amy and Dill are boring when the drift is longer and better than anything having to do with them

The only way I'd watch them on TV is if they were on GOT. But they'd fuck that up.

25 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I have tried so hard to like Philippa Gregory, but man does she love Catherine of Aragon and hate Anne Boleyn! 

I've enjoyed her books but yeah, her bias is loud and clear. Really makes you wonder why she hates Anne so much. It sort of seems personal. Personally, after realizing Catherine's parents were responsible for the Spanish Inquisition and she probably held the same despicable views I stopped giving a fuck about how shit went down for her. Though practically everyone probably held those views...

Edited by HarryPotterFan
  • Upvote 6

20 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

The only way I'd watch them on TV is if they were on GOT. But they'd fuck that up.

I've enjoyed her books but yeah, her bias is loud and clear. Really makes you wonder why she hates Anne so much. It sort of seems personal. Personally, after realizing Catherine's parents were responsible for the Spanish Inquisition and she probably held the same despicable views I stopped giving a fuck about how shit went down for her. Though practically everyone probably held those views...

I'm torn. Catherine herself likely had nothing to do with the Inquisition and I'm not comfortable holding her accountable for that. But I don't doubt she was an extremely committed Catholic as her parents were. Had she had the opportunity to hold more power in her husband's court then I might find myself holding her accountable for a lot more. But, as is, I just can't hold her accountable when she didn't actually pass policy or she part in the Inquisition.

Catherine and Anne are both fascinating women. I see positives and negatives in both their lives and personalities. But it's important to remember that both were very much the products of their upbringings and their times. And both women were extremely courageous in their own ways:

Catherine clung to her religion in order to cope with several massive hardships - first the loss of her first husband and her spiral into poverty, then the loss of all her pregnancies and children other than Mary, and the final humiliation of being cast aside by her husband and separated from her only child because she refused to agree that her marriage was a sham. She faced death alone, but unbowed and unbroken all to protect her daughter's claim to the throne. 

Anne, likewise, clung to her religious beliefs as well. It's just her beliefs were considered radical and heretical at the time - her adherence to her beliefs was courageous in my opinion because they did make her many enemies (though she would have had some regardless if Henry choose to pursue her.) Her influence over Henry and her introducing him to certain reading materials could very well have sparked the idea for him to split with Rome to be honest. She believed in herself when others didn't and she went after what she wanted - traits that weren't overly common in women at the time and weren't always admirable when what she wanted was a married man (who, to be fair, also wanted her - she didn't get too much of a choice if she wanted her family to do well.) And after everything soured between them and Anne found herself facing death, she held her head high publicly and faced it with a dignity that is incredible to imagine.

Sorry for the book... I have a MASSIVE interest in that period of time and no one to talk about it with. My husband's eyes glaze over. :pb_lol:

I wrote an essay on a test for one history class on the Reformation and Renaissance regarding how Anne should be given more credit for her role in the Great Schism. My Professor used to ask me to step in and explain things about the Tudors for the class because her speciality was in German medieval history.

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 18

19 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Her nephew had a bastard child with his grandfather's widow. Spanish monarchy, fucked up from the very beggining :pb_lol:

• Upvote 5

23 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I do like her historical novels, to a point, but I kind love Anne so sometimes I get huffy about that, but I tried to read her other novels, I cant remember what they were called exactly, but OMG. It was too much and I was like, nope. No.

• Upvote 4

I actually really liked The Queen's Fool. And Allison Weir did some great ones. "The Lady Elizabeth" and "Innocent Traitor" were very good. 

• Upvote 6

• 1 month later...

Did something happen in Charleston and I missed it, or did Amy mix up Charleston, West Virginia and Charlottesville, Virginia?

31a6ecba73060573cebd0d13e85d3485.png

Edited by potato
Spacing issues
  • Upvote 2

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:07 PM, VelociRapture said:
Not perfect by any means. But points for at least saying something?

No points. I like Amy but I'm tired of giving white people points for not being racist. (spoiler alert: often times they end up saying racist shit anyways)

@potato Oops, sorry. Just saw Amy mixed up the cities. Good God. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
Removed quoted image.
  • Upvote 15

17 minutes ago, potato said:

Did something happen in Charleston and I missed it, or did Amy mix up Charleston, West Virginia and Charlottesville, Virginia?

31a6ecba73060573cebd0d13e85d3485.png

She 100% mixed them up.

1 minute ago, Jinder Roles said:

No points. I like Amy but I'm tired of giving white people points for not being overtly racist.

Yeah. That's why I asked rather than simply doled them out. It's good she said something, but you're still right - you don't get cookies for doing the absolute bare minimum.

• Upvote 9

Perhaps more eligible for a point in retweet.

(Can't say, though, that Famy "spoke up" when her cousin-in-hate used his "'freedom of expression'" as vehicle of hate against sixteen year old girl Jazz.)

FAMY retweet.png

• Upvote 5

On 8/13/2017 at 5:52 PM, Jinder Roles said:

Oops, sorry. Just saw Amy mixed up the cities. Good God. 

Ugh. Well you know she can't be bothered to lean what is really going on.

• Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Ugh. Well you know she can't be bothered to lean what is really going on.

She really is a Duggar.

Anything by the laziest means possible.

• Upvote 3

On 6/26/2017 at 0:10 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

Yeah, and Fred and Tonks and Lupin and Dumbledore. And Dobby. Oh god, Dobby. :(

But I seriously shed tears over Hedwig and Fred.

Suuuuper late to this discussion, but I'm still pissed about Sirius.  And that he died because everyone wanted Arthur Weasley to live.  

• Upvote 6

Harry Potter and the Tudors two of my favorite topics.  

Definitly agree that Sirius had to die, it propelled Harry further in the fight.

Alison Weir has a new historical fiction series covering each of Henry the VIII wives, the first book over Catherine was fascinated even with the fiction aspect and it gave me a new perspective on her.  Her second book covers Ann and it will be interesting to see how she covers her.

My favorite Phillipa Gregory series is over the War of the Roses and the Tudors beginning with the White Queen.  I am two books behind in the series including the newest and the last book in the series The Last Tudors.

• Upvote 3

@VelociRapture - not sure if you're interested in Early Medieval too, or if you've already looked into these women, but you might be interested in Matilda, Eleanor of Aquitaine and Isabella of France. All incredibly powerful women and there are some great books on them for anyone with an interest in that period of history.

My degree has now focused out on medieval England but my boyfriend's is somewhere over the Med in the 20th century so I don't tend to get many people to share with and I love the characters, personalities and schemes of the Medieval monarchs. (For anyone wondering, Matilda was a rival claimant - probably the 'true' one - to Stephen's throne, Eleanor was married to Henry II and started a civil war against him with her sons and foreign kings, and Isabella was married to Edward II who was a pretty poor king after his father, the Hammer of the Scots Edward I, oh and he was potentially gay, for anyone with that kind of interest)

Not that a modern audience would probably agree with them 100%. They were strident Catholics and hugely anti-Pagan/anti-Eastern religions, and upheld a system of feudalism that screwed most of the population over. Oh, and they all avoided situations like Magna Carta where they had to give up some power to other lords. But for good characters, those women are really entertaining. (and their husbands/families, though all of them share the weak family issue, which is why they were able to get support)

Edited by victoriasponge
  • Upvote 5

Harry Potter properly belongs in Quiverfull of Words.   I'll go collect the threads from various spots and move them there.  There seems to be a general HP thread, but if that doesn't work someone could start one. 

Rufus would bless you!

• Upvote 10

• 1 month later...

According to instagram Amy, her mom, Grandma Mary and Michelle went on a girls trip to Nashville. 

I know Amy hangs out with her mom and grandma, but Michelle is an interesting addition. I wonder if it's going to be on TV or if it's just family bonding.

Imagine a 9-hour car ride with J'Chelle!

***this also proves Amy isn't as distanced from her relatives as previously speculated. 

Edited by Jinder Roles
  • Upvote 9

Wasn't Lawson Bates just in Nashville, too? Omg, imagine if Lawson and Amy were collaborating on something? Bwahahaha!

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic