IGNORED

Amy and the Pickle 5: Trekking to TLC

choralcrusader8613

4 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I loved that episode! (Although my first thought with the name Mabel will always be my eccentric great aunt, it's also a name I like.) Do you remember the series finale of Mad About You, when teenaged or tween-aged Mabel wants to change her name to Sonya? :pb_lol:

Hide contents

The voices sound wrong--I'm assuming it's a thing to avoid copyright laws?

Yes! And she even managed to come up with an acronym for it Some Other Name You A....well she gets cut off at that point when it sounds like she's going with Ass I suppose it could have been Asked but didn't seem like it. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Yes! And she even managed to come up with an acronym for it Some Other Name You A....well she gets cut off at that point when it sounds like she's going with Ass I suppose it could have been Asked but didn't seem like it. 

If you watch the video, I cued it up to that exact conversation. :wink-kitty:

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
better word
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

If you watch the video, I cued it up to that exact conversation. :wink-kitty:

I will thank you. I love that scene. Its so funny!

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

I have posted my grand daughters name multiple times.....Adeline. Mr. Butt found the name Adeline in both our family and DIL's family trees. We mentioned it, everyone liked it and it links her to both of the families. It is normal to me, but does anyone find it to be an "old" name? My mother (Adeline's gr grandmother) hates it, says it is old and refuses to call her by her name. She calls her Addie. Which confuses the poor kid (2.5 years old). She never knows she is being addressed. 

Yes i think it's rather popular right now maybe not top 100 but I can think of 4 little girls named that off the top of my head. It's a beautiful name i think! I have all boys though or I would've considered it. 

• Upvote 1

Speaking of Mad about You, I head on the radio today that the are doing a rebot of the show with the Helen and Paul, it will be on spectrum TV its only like a limited run of a handful of episodes. I've never heard of spectrum TV so I'll need to go find that. 

• Upvote 3

The social security administration has some fun tools for looking up popularity of names. I know an Adeline who was born in late 2016 and that appears to be a popular year for it...

1762135161_image(18).thumb.png.e0783da9517cafd84b98c5a9d29a9860.png

My own name has never cracked the top 150 and I really like that! Daxton was ranked 296th most popular for boys in 2018. Khloe was 135 and Chloe was 25 for girls. Kolter has never been in the top 1000.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, theotherelise said:

The social security administration has some fun tools for looking up popularity of names. I know an Adeline who was born in late 2016 and that appears to be a popular year for it...

1762135161_image(18).thumb.png.e0783da9517cafd84b98c5a9d29a9860.png

My own name has never cracked the top 150 and I really like that! Daxton was ranked 296th most popular for boys in 2018. Khloe was 135 and Chloe was 25 for girls. Kolter has never been in the top 1000.

I love this site, I can spend way to much time there when I'm bored. 

As for the name Kolter, I can only think of that vile woman Ann Coulter, when I hear this.  ?

***Note to self; Do NOT go to SS name site, you have work to do, you do not have hours to play on line looking at the popularity of names. 

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

I have posted my grand daughters name multiple times.....Adeline. Mr. Butt found the name Adeline in both our family and DIL's family trees. We mentioned it, everyone liked it and it links her to both of the families. It is normal to me, but does anyone find it to be an "old" name? My mother (Adeline's gr grandmother) hates it, says it is old and refuses to call her by her name. She calls her Addie. Which confuses the poor kid (2.5 years old). She never knows she is being addressed. 

I have heard of a few Adeline's or Adelynn's in the past few years, while it is a more traditional name it along with others are becoming popular. 

When my sister in law was pregnant with my youngest niece and she was discussing names with us she chose a name that my mum, sister and I had always hated, it's a common name and not horrible as such but just one we dislike and we did say oh we like the other option, that became her middle name but now she is here I am still not crazy about the name but it's perfect for her and we have always called her by it or the shortened version that her parent's use themselves. I would never refuse to call a child their real name and call her name no one else uses for them. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I would never refuse to call a child their real name and call her name no one else uses for them. 

Yeah well, my mom knows no boundaries. *sigh*

• Upvote 2

Just now, Chickenbutt said:

Yeah well, my mom knows no boundaries. *sigh*

My mum said my Grandmother on my dad's side was like that when we were younger, she told my mum that my sister's name sounded like the nickname that a stong lager in the hospital, after she had her c section, my mum was pissed. With the new generation my other grandmother is the overbearing one and the one that overbearing has lightened up. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I have heard of a few Adeline's or Adelynn's in the past few years, while it is a more traditional name it along with others are becoming popular. 

Oddly enough, the 'Duggar Names' tumblr just did a post on the most common fundie names, and apparently Adelynn (or some variant, I can't remember the exact spelling) is one of them. https://duggarnames.tumblr.com/post/188425796827/most-common-fundie-baby-names

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Oddly enough, the 'Duggar Names' tumblr just did a post on the most common fundie names, and apparently Adelynn (or some variant, I can't remember the exact spelling) is one of them. https://duggarnames.tumblr.com/post/188425796827/most-common-fundie-baby-names

Wtf at “Sharlotte.” 

• WTF 1
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

My mum said my Grandmother on my dad's side was like that when we were younger, she told my mum that my sister's name sounded like the nickname that a stong lager in the hospital, after she had her c section, my mum was pissed. With the new generation my other grandmother is the overbearing one and the one that overbearing has lightened up. 

When I was pregnant with my daughter my Grandmother was insisting I name her after her. Well no offense grams but Pauline is not a name I'm gunning for. My daughter's name is McKenna. My grandmother did not approve and said we should have given her a classic or family name and decided she was just going to call her Mary (her mother's name) McKenzie (who knows, because it's close to McKenna but not quite) instead. For no reason other than to be difficult. My daughter is 4 now and has no idea who my Grandma is talking to when she calls out "Mary" to her. She also tells people at family events that my daughters name is Mary McKenzie....

Edited by Sullie06
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 11

2 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

When I was pregnant with my daughter my Grandmother was insisting I name her after her. Well no offense grams but Pauline is not a name I'm gunning for. My daughter's name is McKenna. My grandmother did not approve and said we should have given her a classic or family name and decided she was just going to call her Mary (her mother's name) McKenzie (who knows, because it's close to McKenna but not quite) instead. For no reason other than to be difficult. My daughter is 4 now and has no idea who my Grandma is talking to when she calls out "Mary" to her. She also tells people at family events that my daughters name is Mary McKenzie....

Would it be rude of me to say, your grandma sounds like a bitch. I have an Aunt like this, she mean, rude, demanding and stubborn, and when she doesn't get her way, holy cow. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

17 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Would it be rude of me to say, your grandma sounds like a bitch. I have an Aunt like this, she mean, rude, demanding and stubborn, and when she doesn't get her way, holy cow. 

Nope not rude at all. All those adjectives you gave are how we describe her. Shes awful. Shes mean. Shes so demanding. I grew up with her constantly picking on me about me weight. She was always so mean to my mom (her daughter in law) and would talk shit about her after my parents divorce. She pits family members against each other and plays the victim. At my grandfathers funeral she told people my uncle killed him to get his inheritance because she was mad he had went to live with my uncle in the southern US for health reasons the last few years of his life. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • Love 4

2 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

Nope not rude at all. All those adjectives you gave are how we describe her. Shes awful. Shes mean. Shes so demanding. I grew up with her constantly picking on me about me weight. She was always so mean to my mom (her daughter in law) and would talk shit about her after my parents divorce. She pits family members against each other and plays the victim. At my grandfathers funeral she told people my uncle killed him to get his inheritance because she was mad he had went to live with my uncle in the southern US for health reasons the last few years of his life. 

You should call her a name that’s slightly off from her actual name. Like if her name is Pauline, don’t call her Grandma or Pauline, call her, like, Dolphine or something. I’m sure she would love that!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 14
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

You should call her a name that’s slightly off from her actual name. Like if her name is Pauline, don’t call her Grandma or Pauline, call her, like, Dolphine or something. I’m sure she would love that!

That would be hilarious. We normally call her Nonnie (because of course she couldn't be Nonna like a regular Italian grandmother, she had to make her own version). Maybe I should just start calling her Nonna instead. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

A funny story. My aunt was named Mabel, but always went by another name. Her mom’s name was also Mabel, and her mother had hated her name. The day after the mother had given birth, and while she was in the bathroom, her husband filled out the birth certificate and named their daughter Mabel. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I've been an emotional wreck all day & I'm crying while I'm scrolling through here & when I read your response I bust out laughing. Thank you so much! I so needed that!! That was hilarious. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

My dad does call my oldest nephew Shuggie is a nickname, his name is Séagh, pronounced shay but not because he doesn't like his name, he called him it before he even had a name.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

Nope not rude at all. All those adjectives you gave are how we describe her. Shes awful. Shes mean. Shes so demanding. I grew up with her constantly picking on me about me weight. She was always so mean to my mom (her daughter in law) and would talk shit about her after my parents divorce. She pits family members against each other and plays the victim

Holy crap. We have the same grandmother. 

I feel your pain and frustration and am sending puppy cuddles your way. Unless you don't like dogs...than some other kind of cute animal cuddle. 

• Love 4

On 10/23/2019 at 12:01 PM, SassyPants said:

A funny story. My aunt was named Mabel, but always went by another name. Her mom’s name was also Mabel, and her mother had hated her name. The day after the mother had given birth, and while she was in the bathroom, her husband filled out the birth certificate and named their daughter Mabel. 

I think I would have killed my husband, if I were her! :violence-hammer: (Or just have been severely tempted to do so.)

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

When I told my mother what we had named our daughter, she said “oh, that’s right, old fashioned names are back in fashion” 

I was thinking wtf as the name is just classic and I don’t know the last time it was in or out of fashion ? Then I remembered I have a great-aunt with that name. Oops! Clearly we are close to our extended family ?

Just double checked and her name hasn’t been outside the top 50 in New Zealand in the last 50 years... 

Edited by Mrs Ms
Looked up some statistics
  • Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic