IGNORED

Amy and the Pickle 5: Trekking to TLC

choralcrusader8613

2 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

I think names that have an X in them have been on the rise for the past couple of years. My three year old has a Maddox (boy) and a Paxton (girl) in her preschool class. Another big trend is old lady names. My daughter has one, though it's not ranked in the top 1000 names, and she rolls with other little girls with names that were popular in the 1920s.

Daxton sounds like a made up name to me, but he won't be unusual amongst his generation with a name like that.

Yes, it seems like the new theme for boys is the x - Jaxon, Daxton, Paxton, Huxton, etc. 

And for girls, we're seeing a lot of Elizabeth, Grace, Audrey, Felicity, etc. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, viii said:

Yes, it seems like the new theme for boys is the x - Jaxon, Daxton, Paxton, Huxton, etc. 

And for girls, we're seeing a lot of Elizabeth, Grace, Audrey, Felicity, etc. 

Braxton?

Brexit?

Edited by Bad Wolf
Eta
  • Haha 17

I have an extended family member that is well, pretentious, her and her husband had a little girl earlier this year and they named the poor thing Priscilla, We knew it would something like this but not quite this, and sadly yes that is the child's real name.  

My sister works at an elementary school, and she said she's starting to see a lot of little girls with, what we call old lady names. She's heard, Ruthie, Mable, there are several Evelyn's, she said a lady she worked with was going to name her baby Dorothy, if it was a girl and call her Dottie.

I would rather see little Ester Janes running around than little Moxie Crime fighters, yes some celebrity named his/her kid Moxie Crime Fighter.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I would rather see little Ester Janes running around than little Moxie Crime fighters, yes some celebrity named his/her kid Moxie Crime Fighter.  

Penn Gillette. He rationalized it by saying no one ever asks about middle names.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I have an extended family member that is well, pretentious, her and her husband had a little girl earlier this year and they named the poor thing Priscilla, We knew it would something like this but not quite this, and sadly yes that is the child's real name.  

What's wrong with Priscilla? 

11 minutes ago, justodd said:

Penn Gillette. He rationalized it by saying no one ever asks about middle names.

I mean, he's not wrong. I think you can be a lot more creative with middle names because it's not something that is generally public knowledge unless you want it to be. 

Edited by viii
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

15 hours ago, viii said:

What's wrong with Priscilla?

Here in the Netherlands it is considered one of the most ‘White trash’ names ?

But I dont think @allthegoodnamesrgone meant that.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1

I think Priscilla is a pretty name. I’ll take a classic, slightly frumpy, name over something dumb and trendy anyway. I have a trendy name from the early 90s and hate it with a passion. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

A name needs need to stand the test of time and not disclose someone’s age.  For example:  BARBARA - They are just about all in their late 70s/80s.  LINDA - late 50s.  JENNIFER - late 40s. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

A name needs need to stand the test of time and not disclose someone’s age.  For example:  BARBARA - They are just about all in their late 70s/80s.  LINDA - late 50s.  JENNIFER - late 40s. 

I mean... I tend to like classic names too, so I get what you are saying.

But things don't work like that. Parents themselves usually are from similar generations (for example with Amy, her and all the other people in America having children right now, are all at least in their 20's or early 30's, so have all been born in the late 80's and 90's - I'm making a gross generalization here so bear with me). This means their own references are pretty similar. They grew up in relatively the same cultural environment, lived through the same social changes, etc. This is why name trends have been a thing for centuries and it actually fascinates me.

There are even theories in sociology about naming trends. For example, the fact that older names are making a come back has been confirmed by sociologists. Parents will often search for names that are rarer (because they want to be original), but not too strange. So they usually fall on older names they have heard before but are not in use anymore. Which is how names often make ''comebacks'' some 70 or 80 years after having been popular. I wish I could find sources to prove , but I'm too lazy to look up and that sociology class was way back in college, maybe some ten years ago. So yeah, my notes are way gone. But that lesson truck with me. :pb_lol:

Not to menton that being given a trendy name (within your own generation) is not the end of the world. It just means your parents were normal and thought like most other parents their own age.

• Upvote 14

1 hour ago, Vivi_music said:

But things don't work like that. Parents themselves usually are from similar generations (for example with Amy, her and all the other people in America having children right now, are all at least in their 20's or early 30's, so have all been born in the late 80's and 90's - I'm making a gross generalization here so bear with me). This means their own references are pretty similar. They grew up in relatively the same cultural environment, lived through the same social changes, etc. This is why name trends have been a thing for centuries and it actually fascinates me.

There are even theories in sociology about naming trends. For example, the fact that older names are making a come back has been confirmed by sociologists. Parents will often search for names that are rarer (because they want to be original), but not too strange. So they usually fall on older names they have heard before but are not in use anymore. Which is how names often make ''comebacks'' some 70 or 80 years after having been popular. I wish I could find sources to prove , but I'm too lazy to look up and that sociology class was way back in college, maybe some ten years ago. So yeah, my notes are way gone. But that lesson truck with me. :pb_lol:

Not to menton that being given a trendy name (within your own generation) is not the end of the world. It just means your parents were normal and thought like most other parents their own age.

My oldest kid was born in 1997 and at the time there was a very popular book called "Beyond Jennifer and Jason" (I just looked it up - originally published in 1988 and I guess there have been 2 newer versions... looks like the latest was Beyond Ava and Aiden).  Anyway they talk about one trend being these grandparent names which were out of fashion for a while and are now coming back in or poised to come back in...  like how Max, Eli, Henry, etc all are big now but were out of fashion for about 70 years.  And if you want to be on the front end of the trend you can try to figure out which grandma names haven't quite gotten there yet... but of course they don't all come back (and then you might not want your kid to have the #1 name of 2025 either). 

• Upvote 3

This whole "old lady names" conversation happened a few  weeks ago in another thread - I think in Carlan & Evan's thread (just after they announced "Layla Rae"). ETA, begins roughly here: 

Subtopics included "what sounds old in your country/language" and first/middle combos, along with some great social history and links to websites thar let you look up the equivalent popular name 100 years ago in the US to your given name (so, in my birth year, my first name was the xth most popular, and 100 years ago, the xth most popular girl's name was XYZ.) The discussion drifted over multiple pages.

Not saying that to shut down this conversation, just FYI if you're a name geek, like many who commented there. I found it very interesting. (Much moreso than the "guess what they'll name Baby" drift, which bores me to tears. )

Edited by scoutsadie
added link
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

I think the idea of creating an Instagram account for your child so the handle isn’t used when they’re born is ridiculous for two reasons:

1) Instagram likely won’t be used often or cool fifteen plus years from now.

2) Your kid can be creative and make another account. They don’t need it to be their exact name. Anyway who says they want it to be their name? Maybe they’ll want something fun or spunky or PRIVATE.

I think it’s more plausible that the parents just want the endorsement deals and swag from giving their kids personal accounts but don’t want to outright admit it.

I’m sure plenty of people have common enough names that when they went to make an Instagram their name was used so they had to get creative and they survived just fine.

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 12

On 10/18/2019 at 12:14 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

She's heard, Ruthie, Mable, there are several Evelyn's, she said a lady she worked with was going to name her baby Dorothy, if it was a girl and call her Dottie.

I raise dogs and train some to be therapy dogs. I have one now that I'm taking to the assisted living home when I go.  One lady  in a wheelchair said, "oh, puppy!"  So I handed her the puppy to cuddle.  And she was loving on her, and petting her and said, "What's her name?"  I said, Mabel.   She all but threw the puppy off her lap - I was right there and puppy was fine - and just spitting fire.  "Mabel is no name for a dog! That's my sister's name!"   I tell Mabel daily now she has no name for a dog.  I hope she isn't getting a complex.   

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 25

As for "trendy" and "old ladies' names", our daughter was named after my great-grandmother who was born in 1903. It's uncommon where we live, but a very normal name in the sense that is quite common in Eastern Europe and works well in all languages we could think of (all European languages, Hebrew, Arabic, Turkish, even Japanese, etc)

To my great dismay I have now discovered that the two names I like best for boys are among the Top 3 of boys names in France and Belgium. I had had no idea about that because the names are fairly uncommon in my main reference cultures Germany and Israel. I still love the names very much, though.

So this means that if we ever have a son, he will most likely have a very trendy name here in Belgium whereas our daughter has an uncommon old lady's name.

• Upvote 5

On 10/18/2019 at 12:38 PM, Bad Wolf said:

Braxton?

Brexit?

A girl I used to be pretty close with just had her third baby. It was a surprise baby, she's in her 40s, and her other children are 15 and 10. She named the new baby Braxton and I hate it. Especially since her other two children have very classic type names. It just reminds me of Braxton Hicks contractions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

On 10/19/2019 at 8:36 PM, Vivi_music said:

I'm guilty of this. I didn't want my kids to have weird, out there, trendy names... but I did not want them to be one of several in their classes either or have to go by their last initial as well. I never had another person with my name in any of my classes, but I also don't have a "weird" name (if that makes sense - 1987 birthday here with classes full of Ashleys, Jessicas, Megans, Lindseys, Laurens, etc.) Both of my daughters (ages 4 and almost 2) were most popular in the first quarter of the 1900's but are (unfortunately for me) making a comeback. I have heard a few other kids my daughters' ages with very similar or the same names, and I am so mad (unjustly, haha, I realize that). 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, SweetLaurel said:

I raise dogs and train some to be therapy dogs. I have one now that I'm taking to the assisted living home when I go.  One lady  in a wheelchair said, "oh, puppy!"  So I handed her the puppy to cuddle.  And she was loving on her, and petting her and said, "What's her name?"  I said, Mabel.   She all but threw the puppy off her lap - I was right there and puppy was fine - and just spitting fire.  "Mabel is no name for a dog! That's my sister's name!"   I tell Mabel daily now she has no name for a dog.  I hope she isn't getting a complex.   

I have a kitty named Mabel, she's an evil sweetheart. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 5

28 minutes ago, twoandthrough said:

I'm guilty of this. I didn't want my kids to have weird, out there, trendy names... but I did not want them to be one of several in their classes either or have to go by their last initial as well. I never had another person with my name in any of my classes, but I also don't have a "weird" name (if that makes sense - 1987 birthday here with classes full of Ashleys, Jessicas, Megans, Lindseys, Laurens, etc.) Both of my daughters (ages 4 and almost 2) were most popular in the first quarter of the 1900's but are (unfortunately for me) making a comeback. I have heard a few other kids my daughters' ages with very similar or the same names, and I am so mad (unjustly, haha, I realize that). 

I wanted the odd but known names for my kids as well, they were born in 1997 and 2000, and I wanted names that were not in the top 100 for the previous 4 or 5 years before they were born. My son's name was NOT on any top 100 lists (there is only 1 proper way to spell his name) from 92-96, however he hit the top 100 in 1997, & by the year 2005 his name was in the top 10. GRRRR,  Te was still the only one in his grade with his name, but several boys in the subsequent classes had the same name. 

My daughter on the other hand, neither spelling of her name (there are only 2), were in the top 100, or anywhere near it, and even combined it was still below the top 500 names, I'm pretty sure the highest rated I've ever seen her name was the top 300's. She's learned to love her name as everyone will say "such a pretty name", it is unusual but it is common (if that makes sense), a currently popular actress and a currently popular novelist have her name, all 3 spell them the same way, though one has a different pronunciation, and this is giving away a lot of info as to what her name is, if you are fairly versed in pop culture you'll know what her name is. ?  DD was the only girl in the entire school district (of about 2000 students) for 11 years with her name, her SR year a little kindergartner started with the same name. 

• Upvote 4

On 10/18/2019 at 2:24 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Are these names going to be the Aiden Hayden Kaden and Jaden of the 20's?

I was round at my sister's one day and my nephew was out playing with his cousin, Jayden, an Aidan, a Kayden and a Kaydon. He was the only one without a name ending in dan/den or don. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I have a kitty named Mabel, she's an evil sweetheart. 

I remember when the TV show Mad About You when Paul and Jamie named their daughter Mabel. They couldn't come up with a name for their daughter the entire episode and Jamie's mom kept using acronym for things while helping Jamie and Paul with their newborn WEET: Survey, Wipe, Entertain baby, Ease out, Tie up old diaper. TUBA: Tuck Under Both Arms. GREPS: Gently Rub, Evenly Pat, Securely held. CRIB: Cooler Really Is Better and one of the last ones was Mothers Always Bring Extra Love, Mabel. Which Jamie and Paul really like and pick that one. Ever since then I thought it was a really cool name. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

51 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

...and one of the last ones was Mothers Always Bring Extra Love, Mabel. Which Jamie and Paul really like and pick that one. Ever since then I thought it was a really cool name. 

I loved that episode! (Although my first thought with the name Mabel will always be my eccentric great aunt, it's also a name I like.) Do you remember the series finale of Mad About You, when teenaged or tween-aged Mabel wants to change her name to Sonya? :pb_lol:

Spoiler

The voices sound wrong--I'm assuming it's a thing to avoid copyright laws?

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
punctuation
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I wanted the odd but known names for my kids as well, they were born in 1997 and 2000, and I wanted names that were not in the top 100 for the previous 4 or 5 years before they were born. My son's name was NOT on any top 100 lists (there is only 1 proper way to spell his name) from 92-96, however he hit the top 100 in 1997, & by the year 2005 his name was in the top 10. GRRRR,  Te was still the only one in his grade with his name, but several boys in the subsequent classes had the same name. 

My daughter on the other hand, neither spelling of her name (there are only 2), were in the top 100, or anywhere near it, and even combined it was still below the top 500 names, I'm pretty sure the highest rated I've ever seen her name was the top 300's. She's learned to love her name as everyone will say "such a pretty name", it is unusual but it is common (if that makes sense), a currently popular actress and a currently popular novelist have her name, all 3 spell them the same way, though one has a different pronunciation, and this is giving away a lot of info as to what her name is, if you are fairly versed in pop culture you'll know what her name is. ?  DD was the only girl in the entire school district (of about 2000 students) for 11 years with her name, her SR year a little kindergartner started with the same name. 

I'm not up on pop culture, so I have no idea what the name is, but my girls get the same "such a pretty name" all the time... but they're still young, so I don't know whether they like it or not yet. Time will tell! :)

• Upvote 1

I have posted my grand daughters name multiple times.....Adeline. Mr. Butt found the name Adeline in both our family and DIL's family trees. We mentioned it, everyone liked it and it links her to both of the families. It is normal to me, but does anyone find it to be an "old" name? My mother (Adeline's gr grandmother) hates it, says it is old and refuses to call her by her name. She calls her Addie. Which confuses the poor kid (2.5 years old). She never knows she is being addressed. 

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic