IGNORED

Want to rent Meredith and Stephen Hammer's apartment? See pics

Fundiewonder

Actually, the listing says there's a third bedroom they will be using for storage this summer. I guess they use that for the kids. Good thing, since four little children in one bedroom seems chaotic especially since there is only one bed (and a crib) in the listing's second bedroom. 

Looks like a nice place if a bit tight for 2 adults + 4 small children.

Didn't Meredith sell real estate before her marriage? Seem to remember that was one of her businesses along with bush-hogging & selling baked goods.

Her FB indicates they're in (or will be in) Arlington, VA. 

Very nice neighborhood, I pass through there frequently, but its late to be doing summer sublets. Most are in place by now. Lots of moving this week especially.

Maybe it's because I'm in a 750 Sq foot apartment with 2 kids and no laundry but that Townhouse looks nice. 2 bedrooms is tight but doable.  The fact that there are actually 3 is great. 

Is that rent typical of that location?  It seems so high to me, but I realize the location is desirable.

Arlington isn't cheap either....I wonder how they are really affording all of this...I realize he may have had Army money socked away, scholarships, etc but still, you have 4 kids, a wife, books, expenses.....I don't get it.

That rent Is actually on the cheaper side for there. Likely Harvard doesnt charge market rate for graduate housing so they can pass the savings on to the subletter.

The off campus housing site lists properties not directly affiliated with Harvard. 

Mr. Pianokeeper and I just moved to the same zip code less than a week ago, and I'm still reeling.  Yes, it is a SHOCKINGLY expensive area (then again, we moved from Atlanta, which isn't even close but still is moving in that general price direction, housing-wise). We were lucky to get the deal we did.

Their home is well priced, if a tiny touch far from the T (subway). Bus service is pretty good, though. Driving is horrific in Boston and much housing cost is affected by distance to pubic transportation options. Cambridge and neighboring Somerville have some of the nation's highest rates of walking/ bicycling to work. 

12 hours ago, teachergirl said:

Arlington isn't cheap either....I wonder how they are really affording all of this...I realize he may have had Army money socked away, scholarships, etc but still, you have 4 kids, a wife, books, expenses.....I don't get it.

Yeah, I'm in DC and have always been shocked by how far out you have to go to find anything remotely affordable. I just pulled up listings for 3br in Arlington and most of them are well over $3k/mo.

Unfortunately, that rent is fairly typical...maybe even a little low for Cambridge.  I'm sure that Meredith and Stephen don't want to remain in this heathen area after he graduates, so maybe they'll move to Arlington. I think that would be a great place for Meredith and the kids.

Based on Meredith's prior blog, I expected the apartment to show a bit more decorating panache, but with four kids, and possibly little money, I'm sure there's only so much she can do. I'm still trying to figure out the picture over the couch. Is that a plane? The only fundie touch in the place is the bible quote over the sink. 

10 minutes ago, Fundiewonder said:

Unfortunately, that rent is fairly typical...maybe even a little low for Cambridge. 

Given that it's described as being part of the HU "off-campus housing" and that the sublet is restricted to "Harvard Affiliates Only (HUH Sublet)," it's also likely that Harvard owns & subsidizes the rents on these properties as do other universities for their married students & junior faculty. This is why the rent looks "reasonable" for that area.

This may be a stupid question but who pays for this if none of them work? How do they feed themselves + 4 kids and pay rent and all the other life expenses? I know he's on scholarships, are those just covering tuition or also living expenses? 

1 hour ago, faraway said:

This may be a stupid question but who pays for this if none of them work? 

I think Stephen's family is financially comfortable.  Maybe not rich but well off enough to give them some money. Plus, he probably took out huge loans.

Grad Plus loans allow you to borrow the cost of attendance plus the cost of living for your area and family size. There is not an upper limit on those loans, and as they are federal loans they qualify for income based repayments when you graduate.

5 hours ago, faraway said:

This may be a stupid question but who pays for this if none of them work? 

Doesn't he get something for school tuition, etc. from the GI Bill?

He might but I don't think it would cover the probably 50,000 a year Harvard charges....plus the high cost of living, expenses, books....He may have gotten some other scholarships and this internship is probably paid, maybe living expenses are too. Not to mention, Meredith is the perfect fundie wife so no complaining her pretty little head about moving frequently, managing a growing household with one bathroom , or how they are paying for all of it.

Ah, the Hammers, the fundies I watch out for. Stephen still seems shady to me. It is insane to me they have 4 kids to take care of on one income and in that small apartment.

1 hour ago, season of life said:

Ah, the Hammers, the fundies I watch out for. Stephen still seems shady to me. It is insane to me they have 4 kids to take care of on one income and in that small apartment.

But they have 0 incomes, he's in law school, she's at home, nobody works. Even the most frugal people have to feed and dress their family of 6 in an area with high cost of living and those rent payments add up quickly. I think it's almost impossible they're not piling up debt. But I guess we'll never really know their sources of income. 

Random speculation, but Harvard has a huge endowment, so his tuition and associated expenses may be covered as a matter of course.  Based on my daughter's experience, some scholarships come with stipends, so that would generate an income stream for basic expenses.  As mentioned above, he may have some coverage under the GI Bill.  Also, he may have a sponsoring organization based on an agreement to fulfill some duties or expectations in the future (i.e., Manchurian Candidate).  Add in help from parents or loans, and you've got the expanding family covered.

Again, just speculation, but we've become aware of some of this through recent experience.

On 6/9/2017 at 9:15 AM, gustava said:

Arlington, VA, may indicate a government or military internship.

Possibly, but it's also a fairly easy commute by Metro to DC so he could be working anywhere in the city. Big firm, think tank, govt, etc...

I think GI Bill has a housing allowance component as well, so that might help defray some of the rent expenses. Arlington is crazy expensive, but frankly, anywhere in northern VA that would have adequate space for a larger family is going to cost a lot.

On 6/10/2017 at 8:47 AM, CTRLZero said:

Random speculation, but Harvard has a huge endowment, so his tuition and associated expenses may be covered as a matter of course.  Based on my daughter's experience, some scholarships come with stipends, so that would generate an income stream for basic expenses.  As mentioned above, he may have some coverage under the GI Bill.  Also, he may have a sponsoring organization based on an agreement to fulfill some duties or expectations in the future (i.e., Manchurian Candidate).  Add in help from parents or loans, and you've got the expanding family covered.

Again, just speculation, but we've become aware of some of this through recent experience.

Yes, it does. If you get into Harvard, Harvard will find a way to get you the loans/grants/subsidies that you need to attend.

Archived