IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Pikes Peak or Bust?

Coconut Flan

2 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

Are we actually now speculating on when these people first had sex?  Surely it isn't remotely possible to have an informed opinion on this subject?  Yikes. 

Yeah, I am not sure how we went from the silly rumor that Jessa and Ben consummated the marriage between the ceremony and reception because her hair was messed up to maybe they didn't actually consummate for a few months. It's an odd swing.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

I went to school with 3 different Rhys's! Coincidently, they all grew up to be super hot BMX racers so watch out!

There is a guy at my work called Reece who got very confused why I spelt his name wrong the first time we met.

There's also a reasonably well known New Zealand actor called Rhys Darby, so that probably helps the name association. :)

My Rhys has no fear or injury.  He gets super pissed when adults want to make sure his name is spelled correctly.  He knows "Rhys" is the only way to spell that name.

10 minutes ago, mpheels said:

Hi! I would absolutely pronounce his name correctly - my middle name is an Anglicized version of Rhys (techically ap Rhys/son of Rhys). My first name is also an Anglicized version of a Gaelic name. I have some Welsh, Irish, and Scottish ancestors, but my parents weren't thinking of that when they named me - my first name came from a family friend and my middle name was my grandmother's maiden name.

We call him Reesie piecie or Rhyster bunny.  He could have been named Angus.  Rhys was a better way to go for a US kid.

4 minutes ago, Pasta said:

Can I ask you how you pronounce that name? 

Reece

28 minutes ago, mpheels said:

Hi! I would absolutely pronounce his name correctly - my middle name is an Anglicized version of Rhys (techically ap Rhys/son of Rhys). My first name is also an Anglicized version of a Gaelic name. I have some Welsh, Irish, and Scottish ancestors, but my parents weren't thinking of that when they named me - my first name came from a family friend and my middle name was my grandmother's maiden name.

I am so Scottish!  My first name is French, My middle name is Greek, My maiden name is English.     It blows my mind how my Scottish ancestor came over at approximately the same time as the war of northern aggression was ending.

1 hour ago, Kangaroo said:

I went to school with 3 different Rhys's! Coincidently, they all grew up to be super hot BMX racers so watch out!

There is a guy at my work called Reece who got very confused why I spelt his name wrong the first time we met.

There's also a reasonably well known New Zealand actor called Rhys Darby, so that probably helps the name association. :)

My Rhys is going to be the hottest!  Just kidding, he may be the most athletic.  

1 minute ago, Elvis Presby said:

I am so Scottish!  My first name is French, My middle name is Greek, My maiden name is English.     It blows my mind how my Scottish ancestor came over at approximately the same time as the war of northern aggression was ending.

We had a few different waves - on my mom's side, the two big immigration waves were the late 1600's (from Wales/England via Jamestown) and mid-1800's (from Northern Ireland during the famine). On my dad's side, the only group of immigrants I know with some certainty were Scots-Irish immigrants in the early 1700's.

7 minutes ago, Elvis Presby said:

It blows my mind how my Scottish ancestor came over at approximately the same time as the war of northern aggression was ending.

Er... is there more than one war sometimes called the 'war of northern aggression' or are you actually referring to the American Civil War with that term?

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

Er... is there more than one war sometimes called the 'war of northern aggression' or are you actually referring to the American Civil War with that term?

Yes.  That's the one.

In many fundie groups it's sex before marriage that is a sin. Married sex is taught to be a wonderful, pleasurable thing. Many fundies are allowed to date without chaperones, hold hands, and kiss. Also, many fundies are given the sex talk. The Duggars, Bates, etc. represent only a small section of fundamentalist Christians.

5 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

Same, haha. Isn't Martyn a biblical character of sorts? I'm having random college-class flashbacks of Marti/yn being the guy who shared his cloak with a beggar. 

I used to know an enormous guy named Martyn who was a Christian youth worker. His favourite thing was "Yes, Martyn, with a y - you know why? - exactly like the saint who starved to death". Then he would smack at his belly and giggle.

It's so interesting the varied ways people decipher Jessa and Ben. Some people thought they were horny AF, others think Jessa wasn't into him but he was her ticket out of TTH:pb_lol:

4 hours ago, MoonFace said:

Perhaps they are taught that sex is ONLY GOOD AFTER MARRIAGE.   Before the I do's it is filthy, dirty and disgusting.  

It's not the act itself - that's "God's gift" within marriage - that's why it's rewarded with babies. It's the enjoyment of it they have issues with. Especially if you happen to be female.

43 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

In many fundie groups it's sex before marriage that is a sin. Married sex is taught to be a wonderful, pleasurable thing. Many fundies are allowed to date without chaperones, hold hands, and kiss. Also, many fundies are given the sex talk. The Duggars, Bates, etc. represent only a small section of fundamentalist Christians.

So true. There are two very popular fundamentalist Baptist churches here. Seen some kissing and hugging going on. I know a young man who is engaged to a single mother. So we know she's no longer a virgin. Both churches provide private schools. Some graduates go to community college or regular state schools. Then you have a few who end up at Crown or Penscola. Sorry if that's spelled wrong. I've also seen a "few" wearing leggings and shorts above the knee out in the community. These are the type that Alyssa Bates probably saw over the years and decided they were still Christian regardless of how they dressed. I regret that I sterotype all fundamentalists Baptist to look and act like the Duggars, Bates, and Maxwells. 

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

The War of Northern Aggression is what my ancestors always called it. I have ancestors who wore blue and ancestors who wore grey. I also have ancestors who fought in the American Revolutionary War, which some folks call the American War of Independence.

It all depends on one's perspective and familial history. My immediate family members called the American Civil War  the War Between the States. 

2 hours ago, Elvis Presby said:

Yes.  That's the one.

Seriously? Seriously?!?

I really would hope that anyone reading this site would know better...yikes. 

My perspective, as a Southerner who is not a member of the Klan or the Daughters of the Confederacy and therefore has no reason to legitimize or romanticize the horrors of slavery and one of the worst chapters of American history, is that the term "The War of Northern Aggression" is a revolting term that attempts to wallpaper over the reality of what the Civil War was fought over (slavery) and who started it (the South, both figuratively through secession legislation and literally through attacking Fort Sumter). 

ETA: And you can argue about ~personal history~ all you want, the fact remains that the phrase "The War of Northern Aggression" is a huge-ass racist dog-whistle that symbolizes apologia for both the Confederacy as well as the slave empires it sought to protect. Whether you like it or not, using that term un-ironically makes you look like a giant racist. 

2 hours ago, JesusCampSongs said:

ETA: And you can argue about ~personal history~ all you want, the fact remains that the phrase "The War of Northern Aggression" is a huge-ass racist dog-whistle that symbolizes apologia for both the Confederacy as well as the slave empires it sought to protect. Whether you like it or not, using that term un-ironically makes you look like a giant racist. 

You're assuming I'm white, then?

Your inference from two posts where WONA was used instead of "civil war," and your calling out of ME for explaining that the WONA was a common term for that war, is a bit much.  Implying that anyone who used the WONA term is a Klan member???? Really? Yes, I'm eligible for membership in the DoC, and the DAR, and the Daughters of the British Empire. But I'm not a member of any of those, and I certainly would never join such a horrendous group as the Klan. Not that they'd accept me, for a variety of reasons. FFS.

That war has numerous names, including the War of Southern Aggression. :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_American_Civil_War

We did a topic on the American Civil War at school.

I distinctly remember from those few weeks was looking at a map of the US, and someone was looking for Kansas. Nobody knew where it was, but we found "Are-Kansas" (Arkansas) and all assumed that the state's name had changed to Kansas sometime more recently.

Our teacher could not stop laughing at us because we didn't pick up on the difference between Arkansas and Kansas. We asked why the 'kansas' part of Arkansas wasn't pronounced the same and he wasn't sure. 

I only remembered this story recently so I finally googled and found out why they're not pronounced the same :my_biggrin:

I didn't have a chance to say this on the last thread, so I'm going to slip in here and say it: Having seen more pics of the wedding dress, I think it's quite pretty. I do think it would have looked better if the sleeves had been a couple of inches shorter, though.

I'm standing firm on not liking the lace on Jill's dress, though!

I hope they're having fun and comfortable with each other. I do hope for Joy's sake that they're not camping for her first few times, though; that just seems unnecessarily potentially awkward and uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

:2wankers:

Your inference from two posts where WONA was used instead of "civil war," and your calling out of ME for explaining that the WONA was a common term for that war, is a bit much.  Implying that anyone who used the WONA term is a Klan member???? Really? Yes, I'm eligible for membership in the DoC, and the DAR, and the Daughters of the British Empire. But I'm not a member of any of those, and I certainly would never join such a horrendous group as the Klan. Not that they'd accept me, for a variety of reasons. FFS.

That war has numerous names, including the War of Southern Aggression.

You did see where the wiki article referred to that term as being partisan in nature, right? And scrolled down to the bottom of the page where it notes that the term did not originate during the Civil War itself, but during the 1950's, aka the Jim Crow era? And was popularized by segregationists attempting to legitimize the ongoing oppression of former slaves? 

You're definitely making a compelling case that the term isn't a racist dog-whistle...

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

That war has numerous names, including the War of Southern Aggression. :)

@JesusCampSongs wasn't implying that you were a member of the Klan. They were correctly saying that calling the Civil War that despicable, history-rewriting term acts as a hugely racist dog whistle. 

In my opinion, "family history" is a pretty sad excuse for using a term that should be widely known as inaccurate and offensive. Come on. There's a lot of things in all of our family histories that are shitty and wrong. We should learn from that instead of continuing an asshole tradition. 

5 minutes ago, closetcagebaby said:

@JesusCampSongs wasn't implying that you were a member of the Klan. They were correctly saying that calling the Civil War that despicable, history-rewriting term acts as a hugely racist dog whistle. 

In my opinion, "family history" is a pretty sad excuse for using a term that should be widely known as inaccurate and offensive. Come on. There's a lot of things in all of our family histories that are shitty and wrong. We should learn from that instead of continuing an asshole tradition. 

particularly if you're going to post it on the internet, which is in fact forever. particularly if you're going to post it on the internet in a forum that is notoriously liberal and full of people who WILL call bullshit on bullshit. 

:) 

4 hours ago, Elvis Presby said:

Yes.  That's the one.

As a Black person, I find calling the civil war the war of northern aggression kind of offensive. Because pretty much only those who think the south should have won use that term. This is the second time a member has used this wording, hmmm...

1 hour ago, JesusCampSongs said:

My perspective, as a Southerner who is not a member of the Klan or the Daughters of the Confederacy and therefore has no reason to legitimize or romanticize the horrors of slavery and one of the worst chapters of American history, is that the term "The War of Northern Aggression" is a revolting term that attempts to wallpaper over the reality of what the Civil War was fought over (slavery) and who started it (the South, both figuratively through secession legislation and literally through attacking Fort Sumter). 

How many times can I like this? So very well said.

REGARDLESS 

Back to the topic: 

so what are these two planning for their honeymoon? Didn't they mention going on a road trip or so? If yes, I wonder if they will be just in Colorado, or whether they will do a national park tour and go to Yosemite and all the Utah national parks as well. 

Thanks Fundie Central.

Think they will stay in a hotel.  Yes, I think they will see the important places, it may be their last trip in a long time. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived