IGNORED

Duggar Real Estate 1

Taylurker

Just now, Taylurker said:

Hmm, I see. I actually saw that it appears the Duggars have built a home on another property, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I'm not sure where Austin's parents live, however.

They live in Combs, AR where they have the Fort Rock Family Camp.

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

What about Joe?

I'm betting he owns a dwelling somewhere.

What about that building that JB was recently renovating?

I couldn't find any property records in Joe's name in Benton or Washington Counties

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think Ben and Jessa will get a new big house and JoKen will move into their house. This is pure and wholesome speculation but I think Jessa is due a new house. She has produced two babies. Her husband is going to be some sort of minister. She has lots of points. 

Maybe they plan to live in Elkins, then.

The house I noticed they built is on W. MLK Jr. Blvd. in Fayetteville. On the aerial view in googlemaps, it shows a house. On the street view Oct 2016, there is no house. There is also no house on the aerial view of the ARCountyData site. There is nothing about a building there. It's definitely a new building and wasn't torn down. I would hope that the kids wouldn't move there, since it's right on a main road. Why would they build it so close to the street?

Also the Duggars and Mary own two houses just to the left of that house, on Hoot Owl Ln.

20 hours ago, subsaharanafrica said:

I very much doubt that FRC paid their rent in DC. 

I meant that his INCOME from the FRC paid his rent, not that the organization paid for it. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

18 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I still think Ben and Jessa will get a new big house and JoKen will move into their house. This is pure and wholesome speculation but I think Jessa is due a new house. She has produced two babies. Her husband is going to be some sort of minister. She has lots of points. 

I think a lot of people forget how much work JB put into smuggar's old house/Jessa's house. I think she's staying right where she is. 

2 minutes ago, Flippp said:

I think a lot of people forget how much work JB put into smuggar's old house/Jessa's house. I think she's staying right where she is. 

Is that house a 2 or 3-bedroom? If it's 3, I can see them staying put for a little while, but if not then it's going to get cramped since they already have 2 kids.

I think JoKen will get Gramma Mary's house. Unless there is another house we don't know about. A secret mansion. 

Knowing nothing about taxes, would Jana, as a single woman, be taxed less than JB, a married man with umpteen dependents? Or JD or any other kid that has his/her name on a property. My suspicion is that while the properties are in others names, they are really JB's and he is trying to figure out a way to pay less taxes on the properties. He's cheap like that.

15 minutes ago, Flippp said:

Exactly- HE put work into it. It's his house, to be assigned to the offspring of his choice. (Though actually, doesn't his mother still own it?) My guess is that Jessa and Ben will cough up some of that Counting On/personal appearance money to buy their own larger house in time for Joe and Kendra to move into the starter home. 

3 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

Knowing nothing about taxes, would Jana, as a single woman, be taxed less than JB, a married man with umpteen dependents? Or JD or any other kid that has his/her name on a property. My suspicion is that while the properties are in others names, they are really JB's and he is trying to figure out a way to pay less taxes on the properties. He's cheap like that.

The house that Jason and JB own doesn't have the homestead credit on it, so the short answer is no. I don't know about married/unmarried, but generally I think married couples pay less taxes? I can't see the taxes for JD's house. It's hard to tell about his, since his property is listed as commercial. Jana's comm property doesn't have any kind of tax credit on it.

The house that Deanna and Mary jointly own has the homestead credit, so none of Mary's other homes have the credit.

@TaylurkerYou may as well have been speaking a foreign language...lol. I literally know nothing about taxes. I just sign what my accountant tells me to sign. Yep, I am one of those women, don't know, don't care, just tell me where to sign.

22 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I think JoKen will get Gramma Mary's house. Unless there is another house we don't know about. A secret mansion. 

There are a lot of properties. In Benton County:

• Grandma Mary own 1 commerical property
  • JD owns the Stoney Brook commercial property
  • The Duggar Revocable Living Trust owns 3 commercial and 9 residential properties
  • The Duggar Properties LLC owns 1 commercial and 5 residential properties

Washington County only lists tax records (instead of property records) but there are 259 records that contain the name Duggar (not all are relatives). To narrow it down a bit, JB is listed on the tax records for 22 parcels in the county. 

11 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Though actually, doesn't his mother still own it?

Yes, Grandma Mary still owns Jessa and Ben's house.

8 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

@TaylurkerYou may as well have been speaking a foreign language...lol. I literally know nothing about taxes. I just sign what my accountant tells me to sign. Yep, I am one of those women, don't know, don't care, just tell me where to sign.

Hahaha. It's okay, I am still learning myself. You get a homestead credit for your primary residence, but not any other residences. So basically, you pay less taxes on the home you live in day to day. You can only claim one primary residence. So the Duggars pay less on their TTH's property taxes than what it would normally cost, but the full amount on all other residential properties. I'm not sure what the exact formula is (it may vary from place to place), but all homeowners in the USA are entitled to the homestead credit, even if you only own one home.

@Bethella, may I introduce you to actdatascout.com ;) Click on Washington County from the drop-down menu.

Property taxes are set at a state and local  level.  Not every state has a homestead exemption and among those that do not everyone can use it (because some states reserve them for senior citizens). I'll take your word for JT that Arkansas does have one and it's applicable to everyone. That's only part of the picture. 

Property taxes are deductible from your federal income taxes. But if you exclusions and deductions get too high you get hit with the AMT and you lose some of them entirely and are allowed others at a very reduced rate. 

In a state with high property taxes not buying copious amounts of real property is a strategy to avoid the AMT.

BUT giving someone money to buy a house in their name so that you don't have to mess with the AMT isn't the best tax avoidence strategy. 

Where I live, homestead exemptions exist in all of the surrounding states (and it's not just for seniors), so I just assumed that all of the states had them, too. Also, in some states, seniors may not pay property taxes at all. I do not know the age limits or which states, however.

I don't know about Arkansas' law specifically, but the TTH tax records list the homestead exemption, as does Deanna and Mary's house. So I assume that age or marriage status does not matter there. It's the same with the states in my area.

1 hour ago, Chickenbutt said:

It's not about her being single, but about tax brackets.  Once you're in the highest bracket, all income OVER that level will be taxed at the highest level.  So all income over $470,701 for JB.  With their lifestyle, he has to be pulling in that much.  All income OVER that is taxed at 39.6%.  But if a property goes in Jana's name and that's listed as her sole income and JB skips claiming her as a dependent, then the tax would be 10% up to $18,65, and then 15% on the income between $18,651 to $75,900.  And if there are things she could deduct, then that would lower the amount.  For JB, that money would just be in top and be at the 39.8% rate.  It doesn't matter if the money actually goes to JB, just that it's in her name.  It really is that simple.

I'm always learning new things on FJ. I had never heard the homeowners' property tax break called a "homestead exemption". My state has that tax reduction, but it's called a "homeowner's exemption" or sometimes the "circuit breaker program". Huh. Learn something new every day. :)

25 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I'm always learning new things on FJ. I had never heard the homeowners' property tax break called a "homestead exemption". My state has that tax reduction, but it's called a "homeowner's exemption" or sometimes the "circuit breaker program". Huh. Learn something new every day. :)

I can't remember what they call it here, but apparently it's a homestead exemption in Arkansas. :P I've never heard of "circuit breaker program", though!

JB wouldn't be able to claim Jana as a dependent anyway (and hasn't for a long time) though since she's over 19 and isn't a full time student, and isn't permanently disabled. 

I really don't think this is a JB buying property in the guise of not having to pay taxes on it scheme. There are other far better ways of doing that which would actually leave him with (legal) control over the property.

If you gift cash to someone to buy a house for you in heir name you have to keep track of the amount for gift tax purposes and the house is then legally theirs. If that person wants to move into that house they can. If they ant to rent it to Godzilla and donate 100% of the proceeds to Planned Parenthood they can. If they want to sell it and take the cash to move to Timbuktu they can. You have zero say in my if it and zero legal recourse because your name isn't on the deed. It's an awful lot of control to give up when you don't have to. 

It Just seems odd that he'd use this particularly inefficient, stupid, and counterproductive method of saving tax dollars when he's using the more efficient and smarter method elsewhere. 

I have to assume that at least in this small area the older kids do have a certain degree of financial autonomy. 

3 minutes ago, Taylurker said:

I've never heard of "circuit breaker program", though!

Yeah. I have no idea why they call it that.

ETA--I looked it up. Apparently it refers to giving tax relief to people with lower incomes. The easiest link I found was Wikipedia. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property_Tax_Circuit_Breaker

I don't think that putting the kids' names on property is a front, either. JB & Michelle used to be realtors, remember? And they've had rental properties for a long time. We've also seen them flip houses on the show. Real estate is a great way to invest your money, which is what I imagine they're doing. As far as Jason, Jana and JD owning property, I agree that maybe it is a sign of a bit of financial autonomy that they have, although I wonder if Jason made some sort of deal with his dad on his house.

I also wonder if they have money set aside for each child from the show. Legally, minors on TV in Arkansas cannot "earn" money from the show.

if jana has a house she can move there and live there???she rent the house to someone???maybe she is saving money doing that,,,,i really hope so,,,

Archived