IGNORED

Seewalds 23: Visiting Waco Again

Coconut Flan

My favorite was when someone looked at my chunky babies and were like "You can tell you breastfeed them." and I was like "Nah, formula. gtfo with your breastapo."

Did I mention how much shit I got for feeding my children formula? I'm still bitter. :pb_lol: 

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HarleyQuinn,I am sorry you got shit for feeding your kids formula.I got it from my MIL because I breastfed,and EVERYONE wanted to know when I planned to wean them.I swear my MIL tried to sabotage me.I'd try to be agreeable,you like give an inch,well she'd try to take a mile.She told me I needed to leave a bottle,I had to go take another child for an appt.So I did,the baby woke took a litte went back to sleep,she told me save it and give to him later..that I needed to give a bottle everyday...I chucked it.Then she questioned my oldest.I told if I gave him bottles he would not nurse,I wasn't taking that chance,happened with my first one,but I think that is what SHE wanted,sounds mean,but she was very jealous..I had one thing I could do for my child that she couldn't.

If we're working on large scale averages, breastfed babies tend to be smaller than formula fed, so those comments you got @HarleyQuinn were extra stupid. As an aside, this is why those growth charts and stuff that paediatricians are obsessed with are such a pain, as the shape of the graph is different for BF babies as opposed to FF (BF babies gain more for the first few months, then gain more slowly), and many healthcare professionals don't take this into account. 

I hate the term breastapo though. Most breastfeeding advocates I know just want to support women who *want* to breastfeed, and are often not given adequate support, or given advice which undermines breastfeeding. If you don't want to BF then I don't care, you do you and your baby, hurrah that we live in a society where there are options!

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

LOL - my daughter wore size 2T shorts to kindergarten!

My 6 year old put on an 18-24 month pair of jeans this morning. They were too short (perfect capri length) but the waist fit perfectly. When she was 1 she was the size of most 2-3 month old's and would potter along at the mall since she was walking and people were like "she's the most advanced 3 month old in the world". I just side eyed them and told them to call the guiness book of world records. Dumb dumbs

44 minutes ago, melon said:

I got it from my MIL because I breastfed,and EVERYONE wanted to know when I planned to wean them

Mine both nursed happily till they were 2.5 years old. EVERYONE AND THEIR MAMA'S DONKEY wanted to know when I was going to wean them. I don't know why people are so concerned with what women's breasts are doing

My niece just turned three last month and were still finding 24M cloth too big sometime. She is just a tiny little peanut like her mother and aunts. 

@HarleyQuinnI tried really hard to nurse and I originally really wanted to nurse her a full year. Preterm birth, NICU, a dog, and husband never being around because Tax Season changed that. I did what I could, but wound up stopping after she hit three months because it was all just too stressful. I really wish I could have kept at it, but I'm grateful the formula has worked so well for Velocibaby. She wouldn't be as healthy and strong as she is without it. 

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

My favorite was when someone looked at my chunky babies and were like "You can tell you breastfeed them." and I was like "Nah, formula. gtfo with your breastapo."

Did I mention how much shit I got for feeding my children formula? I'm still bitter. :pb_lol: 

The over-eager breastfeeding advocates remind me a lot of over-eager advocates for marijuana legalization: yes, I agree with you, but please tone it the hell down. Also, breast milk/dank kush may have health benefits, but please stop acting like they are literal panaceas.

Also, when "we should encourage breastfeeding because it's good for babies and it's free!" turns into shaming and browbeating mothers who can't breastfeed (I've heard horror stories of breast cancer survivors getting shit for not breastfeeding) or decide not to breastfeed, it's just undermining the cause and tearing women down. Is your kid fed and loved? Then we're golden. Simple as that.

46 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I've heard horror stories of breast cancer survivors getting shit for not breastfeeding

What the actual fuck? That's awful!! People who are rabidly "breast is best" piss me off on behalf of my friends who didn't breast feed. Would these assholes yell at my friend who couldn't breastfeed because her daughter has medical issues that require her to be tube fed? Is breast best for babies who literally can't swallow?

On the flip side, I hate how there are so many people who freak out over breast feeding. Oh no, boobs!!!

6 hours ago, bal maiden said:

@HarleyQuinn

I hate the term breastapo though. 

Breastapo is a perfect word, imo for the formula shamers. Joining an online mommy group was the biggest mistake I ever made between them and my SIL who had a baby at the same time

I don't have a problem with breastfeeding. I think you should be able to do it wherever you want, but they can fuck right off with telling mothers that they're failing their babies with formula.

Obviously I know not all BF moms are like. My friends that BF aren't. But God people can be dicks.

Warshing is common in the Midwest USA:  "I need to warsh my dishes in the kitchen zinc."

It's also a Southern thing.

9 hours ago, SuhrEnity said:

My 6 year old has just hit 27 lbs and we wanted to throw a party. She's long and lean.

My son weighed 40 pounds at 2 yrs old, Of course he was and 8lb  preemie, he was born at 36 wks, he's 19 now 6'2" and 250 pounds This is why he is referred to as the large child. my DD is the small child all 5'4" of her. She was 9lbs 2 oz at birth (10 days early) but by 3 months was lagging behind her older and bigger brother. 

I breastfed my kid until 18 months and I literally could not care less how any other mom feeds theirs. As long as you are providing your child with adequate nourishment, be it formula or breast milk, you're good.

It's really sad that so many mothers feel the need to judge and shame other mothers. Moms get enough judgment and pressure from people who AREN'T moms.

I can't agree more on the pro-options and no mom-shaming arguments. As someone with a chronic health condition who wants to start a family soon, I've already felt guilt over thinking formula might be the way I have to go. I absolutely understand the health benefits from an evolutionary point of view of breastfeeding and ideally that's what I'd like to do. But with my condition, I'm going to be in a serious amount of pain if I can't take my prescriptions.  And rationally I know that's not good for a baby either  (to have a mom in pain) but after all the articles and news items I've seen extolling breastfeeding it still makes me feel guilty. This combines with the need to take prescriptions while trying to conceive and the guilt for doing that, never mind potentially during pregnancy. Point being- we already heap enough guilt on ourselves without needing guilt trips from other people.

For my capstone I did it on breastfeeding assistance specifically for African American women since they have the lowest statistics in terms of how many attempt. But I had the mentality of "you grew a human for 9 months, feed them in whatever way necessary whether it's from your breast/pump or formula". My mom said I gave up cause my brother was greedy (her words) as well as being colic and I like to say I turned out well! I totally do understand though how some moms could feel guilty but again as long as your child is fed I wish no one would judge.

5 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

For my capstone I did it on breastfeeding assistance specifically for African American women since they have the lowest statistics in terms of how many attempt. But I had the mentality of "you grew a human for 9 months, feed them in whatever way necessary whether it's from your breast/pump or formula". My mom said I gave up cause my brother was greedy (her words) as well as being colic and I like to say I turned out well! I totally do understand though how some moms could feel guilty but again as long as your child is fed I wish no one would judge.

I think that particular statistic is part of why there's been such an over-correction with breastfeeding advocacy, so to speak. It's even more evident when you consider the really shady (and morally reprehensible) shit formula companies pulled just a few decades ago to promote formula, especially to disadvantaged populations and in third world countries -- these efforts often killed babies in third world countries, because you need water to get the formula prepared...and if you live somewhere with contaminated water...

I think that the judgmental bullshit about how if you don't breastfeed you're a terrible mother and all that is bullshit, but I also understand that this is a bit of over-correction. Formula is great (just make sure you're using clean water), breast milk is great, use what's right for your situation and don't let some corporation or some armchair-parenting asshole tell you what to do.

14 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Jesus, some people are just assholes. I never get why people have the need to intervene in how someone raises their kids, as long as they are healthy and happy. Not your child - not your business! Everyone makes choices for their own family!

Damn. Some of those comments people would pop out with are out of line!

I'm hoping it's all fringe groups. I think most people stop at, "Hey, kid's getting adequate amounts of developmentally-appropriate food? Awesome. So what movie are we going to watch now?"

I mean, I breastfed mostly, but sometimes he got formula for reasons. I ended up reassuring a family friend who couldn't breastfeed because of a medication that her daughter would do just fine on formula and it's easier in a lot of ways. Because I'm not a jerk.

I'm a huge fan of breastfeeding. I gently encourage soon to be mom friends to try it. I'll be the first person to offer support and information if they do try and have difficulties. (Breastfeeding is not the walk in the park some moms advertise it as.)

But I can still fully appreciate the word breastapo, and fully support moms who use formula too. 

I'm actually surprised that Jessa feeds her kid goats milk and kefir. I guess since moving out she's broadened her palate. I love kefir but I'm Eastern European so it's not weird to me.

16 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm actually surprised that Jessa feeds her kid goats milk and kefir. I guess since moving out she's broadened her palate. I love kefir but I'm Eastern European so it's not weird to me.

It's very trendy among basic White girls now, along with essential oils.

I had to feed my eldest in secret after the first few hours - ex number one decided baby was shooting him "ha ha she's mine now" looks and then his Mum sat me down to tell me that "enlightened, Christian women" don't do "dirty, Pagan things like that". By the time I got to number 2 & 3 my milk wasn't enough so they were mixers.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived