IGNORED

Woman whose parents chose prayer over medical treatment now seeks change in laws

Rachel333

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/woman-life-threatening-heart-lung-condition-parents-prayer-medical-treatment-doctors-mariah-walton-a7766741.html

This 21-year-old woman, Mariah Walton, has a life-threatening heart condition as the result of a hole in her heart which could have been repaired when she was a child. She now wants to prosecute them and change the laws so that medical neglect is no longer protected in Idaho under freedom of religion.

“My lungs burn because I can’t get the oxygen I need,” she told local news channel KTVB. “They used to pray over me. The’d say: ‘God’s going to heal you, just have faith’ and all kinds of stuff… I think it’s time to prosecute them”

Her sister Emily told the broadcaster their parents would tell the children “we needed to pray for Mariah, that she wasn’t growing or doing well, and the evil spirits would leave her”. Mariah’s mother said she used natural remedies such as herbs and essential oils as well as prayer.

I remember hearing about this story a few months back. The fact it is in Idaho is interesting.

Not surprised that lawmakers are doing squat to change the laws.  Hope this woman is able to get all the medical care she needs. 

What is with gunfire and essential oils? I know we've talked about this before, but thinking that essential oils can repair a hole in a child's heart just seems like something that would have happened 200 plus years ago, when people had no concept of modern medicine. I hope this woman is successful, because it needs to be shown that withholding medical treatment for religious reasons has dire consequences, even if the child doesn't end up dying.

39 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

What is with gunfire and essential oils? I know we've talked about this before, but thinking that essential oils can repair a hole in a child's heart just seems like something that would have happened 200 plus years ago, when people had no concept of modern medicine. I hope this woman is success, because it needs to be show that withholding medical treatment for religious reasons has dire consequences, even if the child doesn't end up dying.

These people embarrass me. I'm very much alternative minded for many things but modern medicine is a godsend and something we should be thankful for and use too. It shouldn't be an either or situation. 

If you want to use natural remedies and prayer then it should be used as well as medical treatment not instead of medical treatment. I use natural remedies to treat colds and help with my asthma but I still use my inhaler when needed.

My sister is fighting a glioblastoma right now.  While she's had lots of people praying for her, she is not depending on prayer alone.  She's also got a great brain surgeon at Duke and a good oncologist locally.  

4 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

What is with gunfire and essential oils? I know we've talked about this before, but thinking that essential oils can repair a hole in a child's heart just seems like something that would have happened 200 plus years ago, when people had no concept of modern medicine. I hope this woman is successful, because it needs to be shown that withholding medical treatment for religious reasons has dire consequences, even if the child doesn't end up dying.

The link has always made sense to me. The fundies we talk about usually believe the Bible is literal. And honestly if you believe it's literal, it's not a huge leap to believing the woo that is EO and other things like the miracle of plexus. I also see a lot of overlap of conspiracy theorists in these same fundies. I think it takes a certain type of personality to be full on guzzling he koolaid fundie.  

I remember reading in a book a good breakdown of when different types of treatment should be used:

Modern Medicine--for health problems that have a scientifically-accepted prevention, treatment, or cure

Therapy--for mental health problems

Alternative Medicine--for health problems that are annoying but harmless, and that science has not really found an adequate treatment for, like the common cold and headaches (as long as the alternative treatment is administered safely and is not ruinously expensive.)

4 hours ago, GeoBQn said:

Alternative Medicine--for health problems that are annoying but harmless, and that science has not really found an adequate treatment for, like the common cold and headaches (as long as the alternative treatment is administered safely and is not ruinously expensive.)

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with treating teething pain with a homeopathic teething remedy or using chicken soup to "feed a cold". Because, really, there's no cure for either one. It's a rather huge leap from teething remedies to treating serious illnesses with essential oils. Why not just apply leeches and be done with it? (I know the answer to that one, actually. There is no multi-level marketing scam for providing leeches)

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

My sister is fighting a glioblastoma right now.  While she's had lots of people praying for her, she is not depending on prayer alone.  She's also got a great brain surgeon at Duke and a good oncologist locally.  

My friend's 11 year old daughter had brain cancer & also had tumor removal surgery twice; she's now doing AMAZING and is a very inspiring young lady. Her mother had gotten the old, essential oils/unicorn piss (as she calls it)/snake oil cure-all bit from strangers, and needless to say she got very angry at that.

Prayers and essential oils do help to a certain extent, truly (depending on what the issue is, of course), but not for major health issues.   Glad your sister's got a good medical team on her side, @PennySycamore:my_heart:

She has orthodontics ? Her parents didn't believe in EO and prayer to straighten her teeth, but they figured it would work fine for her heart?

And they were able to have 9 children where my son & daughter can't have any. Life sucks, blows and stinks.

As to fundies/fundie-lites and obsession with essential oils, I offer this gagworthy example - 

20170602_105041.png

@MamaJunebug,  doncha know that straightening the teeth is important for the young lady's countenance? Healing the heart problems are not essential for catching a husband.  It does make a difference, though, in the quality of life that this young woman can lead and definitely impacts her ability to safely bear children. 

46 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@MamaJunebug,  doncha know that straightening the teeth is important for the young lady's countenance? Healing the heart problems are not essential for catching a husband.  .....

Took the words outta my keypad. I was too angry to write 'em out. Thank you for doing so.

@wotdancer, thank you for redacting the name of the moron who posted that BS. I'm angry enough that I would've gone over there and lost my anonymity forever.

9 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

There is no multi-level marketing scam for providing leeches)

Shhhh! Don't give them any ideas! 

2 hours ago, FeministShrew said:

Shhhh! Don't give them any ideas! 

Just let me wade into my pond and see if the little buggers are out yet, and then I am about to let you and your fellow FJers in on the Most Amazing Opportunity to make millions and change peoples' lives.

If she has braces at her age there's a good chance she got them after she became an adult, without her parents.

She's so brave to challenge these terrible laws. How is denying a sick child, who can't advocate or legally make decisions for themselves, medical attention not neglectful? Adults can make whatever decisions they want for themselves. But how does their right to religious expression override a child's rights to health and life? 

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

If she has braces at her age there's a good chance she got them after she became an adult, without her parents.

That's my guess. She was diagnosed with the heart problem at 18, I assumed that was because she was away from her parents and in control of her own health. Likely it was the first time she received dental care as well. 

2 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Just let me wade into my pond and see if the little buggers are out yet, and then I am about to let you and your fellow FJers in on the Most Amazing Opportunity to make millions and change peoples' lives.

Yuck and double yuck!!!

Stick em in a little glass jar, wrap it up with a pretty ribbon, add a bible verse or two in the package and wait for the riches to flow in!!!

22 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The fundies we talk about usually believe the bits of the Bible that fit with their own beliefs are literal.

Fixed that for you. 

(It makes me laugh, all the mixed fibre-wearing, seafood-eating, hair-cutting, shaved etc etc Christianists who will bang on and on because of how homosexuality is THE WORST because Leviticus is the literal word of god, but even a cursory Shraderesque skim through the book shows there are a lot of things that are just as big abominations, that they do every day, but are somehow different...)

Idaho Representative John Gannon keeps bringing this up before the state legislature year after year. For at least four or five years, now. I wish it would make it to the House floor one day, instead of dying in committee. 

IIRC from the last time this was discussed, Mariah's family were Mormons in northern Idaho. The likely largest group arguing against parents being compelled to take their children to doctors are the Followers of Christ. Followers of Christ believe in no medical treatment for any member of any age. I don't know if they use essential oils or not. Most articles I've read quote former members who talk about being annointed with oil in conjunction with being prayed for, but the oil was rancid olive oil with some herbs added.

I wish this would change. The stories of children and teenagers dying of easily treatable illnesses like food poisoning are very disturbing. 

Here's the discussion from before:

This is the (longer) article that started the discussion last year:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/13/followers-of-christ-idaho-religious-sect-child-mortality-refusing-medical-help?CMP=fb_gu

Archived