IGNORED

Joy and Austin: The Wedding Is Over, On to the Honeymoon

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

Joy surprised many people with her choice of dress, Jill wore an actual maternity dress, the bridesmaids' dresses are truly reusable, etc.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly the doilies on Jill's dress aren't the worst thing ever. 

I like the bridesmaid dresses. They're my kind of colour (blue goes well with red hair). 

What was surprising about Joy's dress?

I was talking about wedding dresses with someone today. A lot of people seem to think that the white wedding dress has some deep significance with white representing purity, but don't realize that it's actually a relatively recent tradition starting  with Queen Victoria wearing white at her wedding, and that its ubiquity in western weddings is even more recent than that. I know I grew up hearing that only virgins should wear white, which is so ridiculous.

A little late, but on the subject of photos at weddings. My son is getting married in 12 days (yikes!) and they made it very clear on the info cards with the invitations that this was an "Unplugged Wedding". Phones off, no photos please. But they also worked out some kind of deal with the photographer that anyone could access any wedding photo online and make prints. There will also be photographers around and people are encouraged to ask the photogs to take specific pictures. Oh yeah, there is also a photo booth.

^That's strange, an unplugged wedding. I was grateful for the cell phone photos my friends took at my wedding because I got to see those instantly vs waiting a few weeks for my professional ones. :pb_lol: 

1 minute ago, Chickenbutt said:

A little late, but on the subject of photos at weddings. My son is getting married in 12 days (yikes!) and they made it very clear on the info cards with the invitations that this was an "Unplugged Wedding". Phones off, no photos please. But they also worked out some kind of deal with the photographer that anyone could access any wedding photo online and make prints. There will also be photographers around and people are encouraged to ask the photogs to take specific pictures. Oh yeah, there is also a photo booth.

I've heard of more and more people asking people to give up their phones at weddings. More than the picture taking, it just seems rude to me to be on your phone at all during the wedding ceremony.

(There was an episode of Veep where a character got married and asked everyone to give up their phones, but several people had an extra phone stashed away and then some major news broke so the no phones policy didn't work out very well. :pb_lol:)

Spoiler

I still think the lacy thing on Jill's back is weird. Like she got hit in the back by Spiderman and he lost interest. 

I had never heard of it either, but their thoughts were twofold. They wanted people to pay attention to the ceremony not taking photos, and the photographer needs clear access without people standing in the aisle/standing up/getting in the way of the photographers. I dunno,*shrug* just what they wanted for their wedding.

ETA: They aren't asking to take peoples phones, just that they turn them off.

We had an unplugged ceremony. I had a tiny wedding with 50 guests in a small area. I did not want photographs that I paid for of 50 different cell phones in front of people's faces. I didn't mind for the reception and got some fun photos from my friends and everyone was polite enough to put their phone down if they saw the camera pointed in their direction. 

I'm going to give Jilly Muffin a pass. She's like, 17 months pregnant and I can only imagine that's really uncomfortable & that it's not easy to find clothes right now. I can't say I like the dress, but it seems to fit her properly and looks comfortable, which is about all that matters right now. 

37 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

I had never heard of it either, but their thoughts were twofold. They wanted people to pay attention to the ceremony not taking photos, and the photographer needs clear access without people standing in the aisle/standing up/getting in the way of the photographers. I dunno,*shrug* just what they wanted for their wedding.

ETA: They aren't asking to take peoples phones, just that they turn them off.

For myself, having an "unplugged" wedding would have less to do with picture taking and more to do with people that just live in their phone all day. I know my dad is very guilty of that. He can't even get through dinner without checking his phone.

The only real downfall is you really just can't go find a photographer to take whatever picture, usually by then the moment is lost and recreating is not the same. It is totally up to the bride and groom to decide though because they are the only ones who know what is important to them.

The last wedding we went to was 2 months ago. The bride and groom came up with a very unique hashtag and had everyone use it for everything wedding related, including all the parties, dress fittings, cake tastings, traveling to the wedding (for out of town guests), wedding breakfast the day after. Really just everything. I think it is really cool. We did encourage a ton of pictures during our wedding ceremony and reception but it was years before I realized we don't have many of all the other things, especially the brunch the day after. Granted we were all very tired and hung over but still. 

My new sister-in-law Facebook Lived our ceremony. It's a little weird but now I have a copy of the ceremony since we didn't get a videographer.

I know why people do "unplugged," especially since all the wedding advice sites pitch that people stand in aisles and ruin pictures, but that hasn't been my actual experience at any wedding.

Thoughts...

My bff got married two summers ago and she requested that pics wouldn't shared on social media before she got the chance to post some photos. I think that's fair.

The color of the dresses- navy blue is my favorite color, but man the doily thing is a no. And Jill's earrings are more distracting than the "pop the question at the reception."  Jill, go with some fake pearls from Claires. They are like $5.00 and will look so much nicer.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

^That's strange, an unplugged wedding. I was grateful for the cell phone photos my friends took at my wedding because I got to see those instantly vs waiting a few weeks for my professional ones. :pb_lol: 

Mine was unplugged for the actual ceremony, after that it was free game. 

So far the pictures seem to show the kind of low-key, sensible but nice aesthetic I would associate with Joy. Her wedding dress suits her. I really find whatever is on the back of Jill's dress strange...it looks really random and our of place.

We didn't really think to have a guideline for phones at our wedding. It was a small garden ceremony, so maybe the size deterred people from holding up phones. People took pics in the reception but it didn't feel like mingling with a bunch of zombies staring at their screens the whole time ... Not that many people actually pulled out a phone.

11 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Thoughts...

My bff got married two summers ago and she requested that pics wouldn't shared on social media before she got the chance to post some photos. I think that's fair.

I had a friend that got married a couple of years ago and she requested that people not post photos of her until she was able to put up photos herself. Almost everyone stuck to that. I think I'd want the same. It was a small ceremony and I dont't recall taking pics of that, no one really did until maybe the very end. Poor girl got stuck in an odd arrangement for her ceremony because it was supposed to be outside but it ended up pouring rain. It would have felt like a crazy paparazzi in that set up everyone was crammed together.

That day also happened to be Jessa's wedding day, and I was guilty of going on my phone at the reception to check out the pictures on People ☺️ Others at my table did quick phone checks as well but nothing crazy. 

Just thinking about how times have changed with cell phones, I remember when a fun gift to the guests was a disposable camera to use at the reception! 

The bridesmaids at Duggar weddings are getting exponentially more pregnant (if that makes sense). Jill was pregnant at Jessa's wedding. Then Jessa and Jill (I think) were pregnant at Jinger's wedding. Possibly Anna too, depending on when she's due with M5.

Now at Joy's wedding we have Jill and Sierra for sure. Anna, if she was a bridesmaid. And there's also the possibility of Jinger and/or Jessa, I suppose.

I wonder if the Duggars will ever have a wedding where all the bridesmaids are pregnant?

Hmm. Interesting thought @GoddessOfVictory

The only woman in the wedding party not pregnant would be the bride, although that could technically change in a matter of 24 hrs (squicky thought, I know). What would be really great is if all the bridesmaids and the mother in law are with child, leaving Jichelle as the only non viable womb at the altar. Better yet, the maid of honour (who would be the most pregnant of them all) could be rushed out mid ceremony because her water breaks. Talk about upstaging a wedding! 

Fundies are strange.

It seems soon for Jessa to be pregnant again. How old is Wilbur now?

Wilbur is almost 4 months, which is the same amount of time it took Jessa to conceive him after SES. 

I  really like the fact the bridesmaids dresses are genuinely re-usable, rather than re-usable-at-a-party-maybe.  With so many Duggar weddings going to happen from now until forever, it would be insane to have to keep all the bridesmaids dresses they'd need, especially because I imagine there'll be pressure for the Duggar males to have their sisters as bridesmaids, to try to keep People/TLC interested.  So there'll be 3 Duggar weddings from November til (most likely) September just this year.

I liked Joy's hair - and it fits with the family thing, as Jessa and Jill had hair down too.  But I'm wondering - how come there was obviously so much less of a budget for Joy's wedding than for Jinger's?  Did TLC decide this?  Did the Vuolo's stump up cash for Jinger's?  I am absolutely in favour of Joy having a more low-key wedding, as it feels more like her, but the contrast is pretty striking.

(I'm assuming the man-boys' weddings will also be on lower budgets, as TLC won't be as interested, and I'm pretty sure JB will be MORE than happy to go with the traditional "bride's family pays" models - and I'm wondering if this means the days of inviting 1000s of guests will be over too?  So I can see why it fits the brand to have eg the Rodrigueses, every single Bates etc at the weddings of the older daughters, but not on someone else's dollar.  Joe will probably have the Bateseses, as he saw a lot of them when he was at Clown, but not the rest.)

(Weddings are great to see lots of family and family-friends you haven't seen for ages - but that's less of an issue when there are 3 weddings in less of a year!)

Oh Jill... Nasty nasty flip flops. Really? There are so many pretty dressy comfy flat sandals out there. You're at a wedding, not popping out for milk.

I do like these bridesmaid dresses, nice color and universally flattering shape. Jill's doily/Spider-Man web is kind of distracting, but it is a great fit and having something slightly different as mother of honour is nice. I only commented on her saucer-sized earrings, because most of the bridesmaids wore smaller leaf shape gold earrings. 

Oh man, I just remembered a tacky move/reusing of bridesmaid dress story. A few years ago one of my sister's friends got married and asked her to be one of two bridesmaids. It was a pretty expensive deal, lots of travel, hotels, makeup and hair plus she had to buy the ugly, shiny purple dress which I understand was also super pricey and needed tailoring.

A week later bride tells her she's having a second ceremony in the U.K. and she needs the dress. She basically met her at her apartment and after the general chit chat just goes "so where is the dress?" :my_dodgy:

7 hours ago, The limit does not exist said:

My new sister-in-law Facebook Lived our ceremony. It's a little weird but now I have a copy of the ceremony since we didn't get a videographer.

I know why people do "unplugged," especially since all the wedding advice sites pitch that people stand in aisles and ruin pictures, but that hasn't been my actual experience at any wedding.

Same. I've never witnessed that type of behavior. I completely get why a couple may choose an unplugged weeding if they know people who do act that way though.

My mom took video during our ceremony. One of her brothers and his wife couldn't attend due to health issues and a cross-country flight. Had she not done that they never would have "seen" me get married and we wouldn't have any video to look back on. She was polite, kept the phone out of any shots, and still enjoyed every moment. Same as all our other guests who snapped a few photos.

Some photos I took during the important dances at a friend's wedding wound up being among their favorites. Made me happy to know I helped make their day. :)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived