IGNORED

Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon

47of74

Have you guys seen the 8x03 spoilers from Reddit that HBO took down? I won't post anything here but apparently your theories are very spot on.

Edited by HermioneSparrow
  • Upvote 1

On 4/23/2019 at 9:35 PM, HermioneSparrow said:

Have you guys seen the 8x03 spoilers from Reddit that HBO took down? I won't post anything here but apparently your theories are very spot on.

NOW I MUST RUN TO REDDIT lol

• Haha 2

So I know lots of people seem to think that the dead starks are gonna kill everyone in the crypts but I don't buy it. I mean I agree something is definitely gonna happen down there, they said it was safe way too many times. I just don't think it's gonna be undead starks. This is the family that built the wall, their motto is warning about the night king, but I'm supposed to believe they didn't know how to keep their dead from coming back? I don't think so

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

So I know lots of people seem to think that the dead starks are gonna kill everyone in the crypts but I don't buy it. I mean I agree something is definitely gonna happen down there, they said it was safe way too many times. I just don't think it's gonna be undead starks. This is the family that built the wall, their motto is warning about the night king, but I'm supposed to believe they didn't know how to keep heir dead from coming back? I don't think so

I'm just not a fan of this idea at all. It's so gimmicky. No undead mummy things please.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I liked the last episode. There were several secondary (not major but not minor) characters I really grew to love over the last seven seasons, and I felt the episode honored them one last time before many will die.

Here are my brief thoughts, based on the fact that they always seem to kill off people I like.

Spoiler

Not Going to Make it

Sam or Gilly or Little Sam. I have loved Sam's character from season 1, after he was sent to the wall and has no aptitude for that lifestyle. If they don't kill him, they'll kill Gilly or Little Sam.

Jorah: Despite a shaky beginning, he is Dany's most loyal knight (my words) and shows a lot of strong character.

Grayworm/ Melissandre: Grayworm had a tragic life but is another man of honor

Davos: I love him! I always loved the scenes with him and Sheereen.He strikes me as someone who would have been a great family man in another kingdom. It really touched me when he gave the young girl soup because I thought she reminded him of Sheereen.

Tormond (my favorite Wildling): He has this wonderful passion for life (and Ser Brianne)

Brianne: I'll add to the "She is a character of honor and integrity" group.

Others who won't make it, but I'm less enamored with:

Theon: Yes, he has come a long way, and I appreciate how he saved Sansa, but am still not a huge fan.

Jaime: I liked the honor he developed when he was around Brianne and that he seems to realize how evil his sister is, but he's not in my top group of people.

I like Podrick also, which is the kiss of death, but he isn't in my top group of favorites.

I watch GoT with my best friend and his brother. I've already warned my best friend that I'll be "watching" most of it from his shoulder, and to prepare for a damp shoulder, as I lost my favorite characters to the blood bath.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I liked the last episode. There were several secondary (not major but not minor) characters I really grew to love over the last seven seasons, and I felt the episode honored them one last time before many will die.

Here are my brief thoughts, based on the fact that they always seem to kill off people I like.

Hide contents

Not Going to Make it

Sam or Gilly or Little Sam. I have loved Sam's character from season 1, after he was sent to the wall and has no aptitude for that lifestyle. If they don't kill him, they'll kill Gilly or Little Sam.

Jorah: Despite a shaky beginning, he is Dany's most loyal knight (my words) and shows a lot of strong character.

Grayworm/ Melissandre: Grayworm had a tragic life but is another man of honor

Davos: I love him! I always loved the scenes with him and Sheereen.He strikes me as someone who would have been a great family man in another kingdom. It really touched me when he gave the young girl soup because I thought she reminded him of Sheereen.

Tormond (my favorite Wildling): He has this wonderful passion for life (and Ser Brianne)

Brianne: I'll add to the "She is a character of honor and integrity" group.

Others who won't make it, but I'm less enamored with:

Theon: Yes, he has come a long way, and I appreciate how he saved Sansa, but am still not a huge fan.

Jaime: I liked the honor he developed when he was around Brianne and that he seems to realize how evil his sister is, but he's not in my top group of people.

I like Podrick also, which is the kiss of death, but he isn't in my top group of favorites.

I watch GoT with my best friend and his brother. I've already warned my best friend that I'll be "watching" most of it from his shoulder, and to prepare for a damp shoulder, as I lost my favorite characters to the blood bath.

Spoiler

I’m not sure they’ll kill Sam. He’ll be needed to help restore Westeros’ history and knowledge if the Night King succeeds in destroying the Citadel - which is part of a theory I’ve seen bounced around stating that the NK split his army and is actually heading for King’s Landing and the Citadel. Considering Bran and Dany* have both had previous visions hinting at that it could actually happen and it would be a great strategic move on the NK’s part. Not only could he possibly add the entire population if King’s Landing to his army, but he could destroy the knowledge held at the Citadel on his way back North to kill Bran (if he isn’t dead already.)

I told my husband my new favorite theory is that he tries it, but Cersei one ups him by blowing up King’s Landing out of pure spite. Everyone dies anyways (Cersei would, of course, be wearing her crown on the Iron Throne and drinking wine like a badass because that’s how she rolls), but she could technically go out a Villain AND a Hero because she’d be the one responsible for mass murder of her people and stopping the Army of the Dead at the same time. That would leave the rest of the season open for a possible showdown between Jon and Dany.

I don’t think that’s how they’ll go with the show, but it’d be pretty interesting to watch if they did. 

*Dany had that vision back in season 2 when someone was stupid enough to steal her dragons. And I think Bran saw something hinting at the destruction in season 4 as well.

ETA: And I think Tormund will make it. He’s the only major Wildling leader left at this point. They’d have no one left to speak for them if he dies. 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 3

Oooo, I'm not going to read any Reddit spoilers, but how exciting! I do have another thought about the upcoming battle I want to share:

Spoiler

Me and my friends have been discussing whether there will be a cavalry. There already was at both Battle of the Bastards and Blackwater, so it would almost seem lazy at this point. My guess is there won't be, but that Melisandre needs to reappear in a big way ASAP here. To a lesser extent, I'm not fully sold on Meera Reed and her father Howland just disappearing. Howland also serves as a witness to Jon's real parentage. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

Oooo, I'm not going to read any Reddit spoilers, but how exciting! I do have another thought about the upcoming battle I want to share:

Hide contents

Me and my friends have been discussing whether there will be a cavalry. There already was at both Battle of the Bastards and Blackwater, so it would almost seem lazy at this point. My guess is there won't be, but that Melisandre needs to reappear in a big way ASAP here. To a lesser extent, I'm not fully sold on Meera Reed and her father Howland just disappearing. Howland also serves as a witness to Jon's real parentage. 

Spoiler

Completely agree about the Reeds. I feel like the fact that Howland is the sole surviving witness to Jon’s birth at this point has been mentioned too many times for it not to matter and that he’s been hiding for so long because of this specific reason. I’m guessing Bran isn’t able to show Jon and Dany the truth through a guided vision, so Howland Reed showing up as a witness could help make the case. I think they’ll play a role in some way, but I’m not sure how or why.

And yeah, I think a Cavalry charge would be a huge waste of their fighters and resources at this point. It’s probably better to just defend the castle as best they can. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

SPOILERS!

Hide contents

BUT WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO GHOST?!?!?!?! 

Ain't that just the core of the whole TV show though

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

SPOILERS!

Reveal hidden contents

Honest question because I didn't watch the whole episode because I don't actually watch this show, but that's someone I care about. Do we know?

• Upvote 2

God that was stressful. 

Spoiler

I don’t know how I feel about that ending  I’m pretty disappointed in Jon.  He didn’t do anything heroic.  Him being rhaegar’s son has to be important!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

My thoughts:

Spoiler

It was an interesting episode. I was sad to see Jorah go down, although I had predicted it. His niece was awesome as well.

I've read criticisms on Yahoo, but I really liked the pacing of this episode. I liked the tense minutes at the beginning, when those defending Winterfell knew what was coming, but hadn't arrived. I also love the way it wasn't just 80 minutes of slicing and dicing, but had quieter moments that continued to build to the crescendo. I also liked how Arya and The Hound needed to get away from the bloodshed and take a couple of minutes before rejoining the fight.

I liked (at least what I assumed was) some abiguity at the end. I saw several of my favorite top minor characters in really scary situations, but we neither know for sure nor don't know for sure if they survived. I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least one character, perhaps more, who is found dead on the field of battle.

I hope no one saw that I put a quote box instead of a spoiler.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 5

ASDKFKFNRKFKEKDJCKOEJDJ

I need therapy. Damn. 

Idk if I can emotionally recover for End Game on Tuesday. 

Spoiler

Theon’s death has me in absolute shambles. “You’re a good man. Thank you” ??

Arya is 100% THAT BITCH. Y’all peep how she probably disguised herself as a wight?!?! I can’t wait until she fucks Cersei up. 

Jon continues to be dumb. 

What happened to Rhaegal?

Minor side eye to putting all the foreigners on the front lines ?. RIP to the Dothraki. Being brown in GOT is especially rough. 

I feel like Sam, Jaime, Brienne and Tormund definitely should have died, realistically speaking. Love them though. 

I knew Lyanna would die because she wouldn’t fall back. She went out valiantly though. House Mormont’s extinction hurts my feelings. 

It was objectively an amazing episode but I can’t believe it took one battle to kill the Night King. With all the ice magic, powers, lore, theory etc. he should have been harder to kill. I guess there’s only so much you can do in 6 episodes. And GRRM isn’t writing it so ??‍♀️

As expected, the memes on Black Twitter continue to be excellent. 

Edited by Jinder Roles
  • Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Destiny said:

Honest question because I didn't watch the whole episode because I don't actually watch this show, but that's someone I care about. Do we know?

Spoiler

Apparently the goodest boi in Westeros is ok! People spotted him in the promos for next week:

199A3234-FA85-4E1C-90F4-2D9D1C59B6E7.thumb.png.0226e1cbcc568a055a797fadea3b6f76.png

I’m guessing it just cost too much to show Ghost and all three dragons this episode. The dragons were more needed for the plot, so they unintentionally left his fate up in the air. It makes sense he survived though because otherwise he would have come back at some point as a wight and I would have died of grief.

Not gonna lie, I’m actually really relieved he’s ok. I love those fluffy winter dogs of death and I’ve gotten too attached to sweet little Ghost. 

6 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

God that was stressful. 

Hide contents

I don’t know how I feel about that ending  I’m pretty disappointed in Jon.  He didn’t do anything heroic.  Him being rhaegar’s son has to be important!

I actually really like it wasn’t Jon who saved the day. He and Dany have been built up into these almost mythical figures. It made for much better suspense and more realistic storytelling for them to both fail miserably. Plus, this makes sense of Arya’s entire storyline in Braavos. It wasn’t just to keep her out of the way of the Westeros storylines, it was all in preparation for this exact moment with the NK. Now Bran giving her the Catspaw dagger makes complete sense. 

Jon being Rhaegar’s son will be important in another way. Like Melisandre said about Beric (RIP eye patch dude), the Lord of Light brought him back for a reason. Jon still has to fulfill that reason. 

4 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

ASDKFKFNRKFKEKDJCKOEJDJ

I need therapy. Damn. 

Idk if I can emotionally recover for End Game on Tuesday. 

Hide contents

Theon’s death has me in absolute shambles. “You’re a good man. Thank you” ??

Arya is 100% THAT BITCH. Y’all peep how she probably disguised herself as a wight?!?! I can’t wait until she fucks Cersei up. 

Jon continues to be dumb. 

What happened to Rhaegal?

Minor side eye to putting all the foreigners on the front lines ?. RIP to the Dothraki. Being brown in GOT is especially rough. 

I feel like Sam, Jaime, Brienne and Tormund definitely should have died, realistically speaking. Love them though. 

I knew Lyanna would die because she wouldn’t fall back. She went out valiantly though. House Mormont’s extinction hurts my feelings. 

It was objectively an amazing episode but I can’t believe it took one battle to kill the Night King. With all the ice magic, powers, lore, theory etc. he should have been harder to kill. I guess there’s only so much you can do in 6 episodes. And GRRM isn’t writing it so ??‍♀️

As expected, the memes on Black Twitter continue to be excellent. 

GOT really doesn’t treat brown people - or children - well. At all. The only other black character I can remember off the top of my head stole Dany’s dragons and was locked in an unbreakable vault by her as a result back in season two. Not a good track record there.

With the destruction of Dany’s armies, I get the feeling that was done because Dany can’t go riding up to King’s Landing with an army of foreigners. It’d make it way too easy for the people of Westeros to view her as a conquering monster and would have made the odds more even from the very start. We already saw how the Northerners have treated Missandei, one of the most genuinely sweet characters on the show (I have no clue how she’s still alive - that’s how good natured and kind she is.) I could easily see the Westerosis siding with Cersei over Dany simply because of her armies. If she has an army of fiercely loyal Northerners backing her though, that’s a different story. The Northerners are different than other Westerosis, but they’re still white and from the same general culture - so they’re less threatening in that sense. Dany has a better chance of being accepted by the people with an army of Westerosis.

They didn’t have names or anything, but it still broke my heart a bit to see the Dothraki and Unsullied decimated like that so far from their homes. The up close shots of Greyworm telling them to light the trenches, knowing he was abandoning his men to certain death by doing so, was a very nice little dramatic touch. You could tell his usual composure was cracking, yet he still did what he had to do. The charge of the Dothraki was visually stunning, but so sad because you knew it wasn’t going to end well. 

Martin and the show have both also made the harming of children a pretty important moral thing as well. The death or survival of children is the ultimate stakes in this story. Ned puts it best in season one/book one when he challenges Robert when he wants a pregnant Dany killed by asking him what their rebellion was even for if they go around killing innocent children. Cersei’s entire humanity is bound up in her children and we see that humanity disappear completely with the death of Tommen. Craster sacrifices his own infant sons to the White Walkers. It absolutely killed me to see Lyanna Mormont die because she was such a fantastic character, but her death is a visible reminder of just what the characters fought this battle for and provides one of the reasons why they’ll be fighting Cersei as well. They want to protect the children. 

Her death was absolutely perfect for her though. You see fear in her, but it’s coupled by that fierce strength and courage she’s always displayed. I can’t think of a better way to go for her than to see her die taking out one of the physically biggest threats on the battlefield. 

6 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

My thoughts:

Hide contents

It was an interesting episode. I was sad to see Jorah go down, although I had predicted it. His niece was awesome as well.

I've read criticisms on Yahoo, but I really liked the pacing of this episode. I liked the tense minutes at the beginning, when those defending Winterfell knew what was coming, but hadn't arrived. I also love the way it wasn't just 80 minutes of slicing and dicing, but had quieter moments that continued to build to the crescendo. I also liked how Arya and The Hound needed to get away from the bloodshed and take a couple of minutes before rejoining the fight.

I liked (at least what I assumed was) some abiguity at the end. I saw several of my favorite top minor characters in really scary situations, but we neither know for sure nor don't know for sure if they survived. I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least one character, perhaps more, who is found dead on the field of battle.

I hope no one saw that I put a quote box instead of a spoiler.

The pacing was extremely well done. If it was just 80 minutes straight of battle it would have been boring, but cutting away from the battle and following multiple characters gave nice breaks that heightened the tension in a positive way. The crypt scenes were especially good at that and I really enjoyed those scenes between Sansa and Tyrion (as well as those quiet scenes with the Ironborn in the Godswood.) Sansa and Tyrion could have made a pretty phenomenal power couple had things turned out differently for them and I’m glad they were able to offer each other comfort while they were hiding behind the crypt together. It’ll be interesting to see what happens to them both as individuals moving forward. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

In the after show bit they said that Lyanna Mormont was only ever going to have one scene. The actress was just such a little badass they wanted to give her a moment in the battle :)Jon

Jon didn't do too much.

Arya killing the Night King was great. I wasn't surprised.. But my attention had definitely shifted from her and I think it worked. Well done. And I like the redemption of Theon.

• Upvote 6

Spoiler

Melissandre lighting the dothraki weapons on fire was awesome.  As was, sadly, watching all those flames extinguish.  

Ghost!  (please GOT we need proof of life - ditto with Rheagal)

Beric Dondarion going out the way he did and him and Sandor Clegane helping Arya just got me.  Melisandre in the room at the end of that and saying that Beric had been brought back (repeatedly) for this.  wow.  And then when she repeated what she had said to Arya in like S3 or so and then when she repated Serio's words to her and Arya said 'Not Today' I knew that something epic done woke in the girl.  

(thoguht - does this make Arya and NOT Jon or Dany either the prince(ss) or lightbringer??)

I was in tears when Bran told Theon he was a good man.  

I so need to rewatch that a few more times.  For me that was 80 of the best tv I may have ever watched.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I feel like more  ma may have been written for Melissandre (by George) I sensed a lot of something there.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I so want Winds of Winter (and Dreams of Spring).  The pacing of season 7 was such that you know there is a massive amount of stuff they didn't put in the series (and the series seems to do this odd shy away from magic at times)

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

In the after show bit they said that Lyanna Mormont was only ever going to have one scene. The actress was just such a little badass they wanted to give her a moment in the battle :)Jon

Jon didn't do too much.

Arya killing the Night King was great. I wasn't surprised.. But my attention had definitely shifted from her and I think it worked. Well done. And I like the redemption of Theon.

I mean, how could you watch her performance in that first scene and not want to make her character more important after that? This tiny little girl verbally lashing two fully grown Stark kids and then being one of the only Northern Lords to agree to help was just beyond hysterical to watch. Sansa and Jon had no clue what hit them. ?

3 hours ago, clueliss said:
  Hide contents

Melissandre lighting the dothraki weapons on fire was awesome.  As was, sadly, watching all those flames extinguish.  

Ghost!  (please GOT we need proof of life - ditto with Rheagal)

Beric Dondarion going out the way he did and him and Sandor Clegane helping Arya just got me.  Melisandre in the room at the end of that and saying that Beric had been brought back (repeatedly) for this.  wow.  And then when she repeated what she had said to Arya in like S3 or so and then when she repated Serio's words to her and Arya said 'Not Today' I knew that something epic done woke in the girl.  

(thoguht - does this make Arya and NOT Jon or Dany either the prince(ss) or lightbringer??)

I was in tears when Bran told Theon he was a good man.  

I so need to rewatch that a few more times.  For me that was 80 of the best tv I may have ever watched.

Spoiler

Rhaegal and Ghost were both spotted in the episode four promo, so it looks very likely that they made it through ok. :)

I love that realizing Arya was in danger is what pulled the Hound out of his funk and got him moving again. The two of them have always had such a great dynamic together - kind of like a super messed up father and daughter situation where they do care about each other, but just don’t know how to show it right. I always think of the Hound like he’s Arya’s Foster Father and in a lot of ways he has been. 

I loved those two little moments between Bran and Theon. They’ve both changed so dramatically since the story began and I really think those last two moments meant the absolute world to Theon. And I just love that Theon knew there was no hope for him and he chose to run straight towards death anyways. It took him eight very long seasons, but he finally proved himself worthy of both his families - the Greyjoys and the Starks - in my opinion. 

I legit cried after watching the episode. Not a lot, but I was a bit grateful my daughter had woken up and was crying for me because it gave me an excuse to go cuddle her. I keep seeing Lyanna Mormont every time I look at her and it just makes me simultaneously proud and sad. At least Lyanna died doing what she loved - making grown men look weak. (This is what I’m telling myself so I don’t get overly emotional again because it just makes me laugh.)

And can we just appreciate for a moment how true to her word Melisandre is? She stated Jon would never see her in the North again, she’d return to Westeros once more to die, and then she told Davos he had no need to kill her because she’d be dead by dawn - and then she made all that happen in one night. Girl was at least pretty honest, even if she was kind of a creepy religious zealot. 

Spoiler

I am really curious about the show’s end game now. It looks like next week is the prep for the war with Cersei, episode five is the final battle, and episode six is left for wrapping everything up. I’ll update my predictions now:

Probably going to die:

- At least one Lannister (Cersei), but possibly two. I think Tyrion will be the last one standing for his House - he’ll inherit Castley Rock abd prove to be a good advisor to whoever gets the throne. Not sure if he’ll marry again, but I like the idea of him forming a healthy friendship with Sansa at least. They experienced a lot together and I think they respect one another a lot at this point. Jamie’s death would help complete his redemption cycle, much like Theon’s, and I don’t know if he’d even want to go on without Cersei. It’d be interesting to see what kind of life he’d be able to build if he lives and is allowed to do so by Dany.

- Euron Greyjoy. Westerosi Jack Sparrow is pretty obnoxious. I’d love to see Yara take him out and become Queen, but I have a feeling they’ll both die and House Greyjoy will be extinct.

- Missandei or Greyworm. I’m still shocked they’re both still alive. You don’t make romantic vacation plans and expect to actually live to see it on GOT. 

- The Mountain. I still have hope for Cleaganbowl to happen. 

- The Hound. I think he’ll die either taking out his brother or saving one of the Stark sisters. 

Probably Safe:

- Jon Snow. I’m torn on him because we don’t know what purpose the Lord of Light had for bringing him back. It could be so he could rule Westeros or father a baby or so he could defeat Cersei. It’d be such a GOT thing if his whole purpose was to simply help get Dany on the throne and he dies making that happen. 

- Daenerys. I’m starting to lean towards Dany surviving the whole show. She made dumb mistakes last night, but still lived somehow. She’ll absolutely need a TON of help adapting to Westeros and learning to rule though, so we all better hope some of the best advisors on the show make it if she becomes Queen.

- I’m thinking Arya is safe, but I’m not sure. I don’t know what her storyline will be like now that she’s killed the NK and only has Cersei really left that she wants dead. I don’t know if she can really just settle for a quiet life in the North after all her adventures. Maybe she and Gendry will go off on some sort of adventures together if he survives. Or maybe she really will be content to just stay at Winterfell with what’s left of her family. 

- I think Sansa is pretty safe at this point. I’d love to see her become Warden of the North in her own right, while also continuing to develop a healthy friendship with Tyrion. I think the pair of them could make formidable allies for whoever ends up on the Throne, plus they have history together and they do seem to care about the other’s wellbeing. I don’t know if I really see her ever wanting to marry after her experience with Ramsay, but if she does then I hope it’s with someone who will respect her and treat her well - much like Tyrion has treated her over the years (though I don’t think the show will put them back together like that. Too much history between them.)

- Varys. I’m not sure if he’ll make it through the series - I don’t think he will personally - but I think he could still prove useful if his little birds are still getting information to him. 

- Gilly. I’m starting to think she’ll be ok. I like the idea of one entire family making it through the show and the Sam/Gilly family is kind of a cute little group in some ways. Plus, there’s no longer a need for the Night’s Watch and I like the thought of Sam getting to return home with his little family. 

- Brienne. I don’t know why, I just have a feeling she’ll make it. 

- I have a feeling one more of the dragons might die, possibly Rhaegal.  Watch me be wrong on this one. 

Absolutely Safe:

- Tormund. The Wildlings will continue to need a strong and visible leader to be their voice and he’s the only one left.

- Sam Tarly. Mostly because I like the theory that he’s the author of the story. Plus he made it this far in the show and he has no talent in warfare, so I’m kind of rooting for him. 

- Bran. The NK was the one who wanted him dead and he’s gone now and I don’t see Bran rolling his way onto the battlefield with Cersei (especially if it’s at King’s Landing), so I’m pretty sure he’ll be fine. He may eventually turn into a tree like the last TER did though.

- Ghost. Just because I need him to live. He’s just so fluffy and cute and I love him. 

- Little Sam. Same as with Ghost. I can’t stand another tiny human getting killed on this show. 

- Ser Davos. I just have a gut feeling he’ll be ok. He’s really been kind of the moral compass of the show for several big characters ever since Ned Stark died, but he’s much more realistic about the world than Ned was. I could see him being an excellent advisor to whoever takes the throne. 

I think at least one last really beloved major character needs to die. Most of the beloved characters lost last night were more minor characters, with the exception of Jorah and Viserion (who was already dead.) I think one last major beloved character needs to go in order to drive home the seriousness of war - someone like Dany or Jon or Arya or Tyrion. Maybe we could count Jamie in that too. And I have to say, the rest of Westeros better watch out because the North literally defeated death and I’m pretty sure nothing else is going to scare them at this point. 

ETA: Bronn! I keep forgetting him. I don’t think he’s comfortable working with Cersei. She seems to be the only Lannister he doesn’t enjoy working with. I could see him switching sides or opting to kill one of the Lannister brothers. I don’t think he’s going to end up getting a castle either way though. 

And I can’t remember who mentioned having a Death Bracket, but whoever it is - how’s your bracket looking?! I barely missed getting BINGO three separate times on my card last night, so I’m curious if you’re doing any better than me. ?

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 2

Spoiler

I totally think Sam makes it - mainly because one of the models for Sam is Samwise in LOTR and well he was the author of that tale as I recal.  (and I'm always mentally calling Sam - Samwise Gamchee. (sp?).  

Please re Clegane bowl.  

• Upvote 4

Thoughts below:

Spoiler

I honestly liked last week's episode better, but this one was fine. I just feel like things went TOO according to plan. It was almost easy. Other thoughts:

I loved basically every character's role. Jon not doing much. Dany's grief. Arya's skills. Tyrion and Sansa's relationship.

Bran's words to Theon sounded like a conclusion to the "Gods help you Theon, for now you are truly lost" from Season 2 (or 3?), it made me so happy.

I can't believe all the major characters in the crypt survived.

Speaking of crypts, I LOVE how well Game of Thrones does slow, nerve-wracking terror these days.

Melisandre's role and death were perfect for her. It's a quieter, stranger redemption, but I think it was a good redemption for what she's done to kids with King's blood. Her actions are pretty unforgivable, but she never stopped trying her best to figure out and pursue doing what's best.

And yeah, the non-white people exclusively on the front lines made me really uncomfortable. I can see that hypothetically making sense with how the unsullied and dothraki don't seem to struggle with cowardice in battle like white Westerosis often do, but if that's what they were going for, I don't think it came off strong enough. It came off more "human shield" ish to me (I'm thinking of the South Park movie as I say that, haha).

• Upvote 4

Spoiler

I'm not disappointed that Arya killed the night king, but I'm disappointed Jon didn't do anything heroic.  The night king was his fight, and he barely participated. So what's the point of his character? Why did the lord of light bring him back? What's the point of him being the heir to the iron throne?

I'm also very confused with the let's just immediately wipe out all the Dothraki. What was the strategy there? They knew they didn't have a big enough army to fight the wights so they send a subset of the army on a suicide mission with no obvious benefit? I don't get it.

As for the crypts, that made me so mad. The Starks are the ones that built the wall with magic to stop the dead from coming, they kept manning the wall for generations anticipated their return, their motto was a warning about the night king, and then they just bury their dead like normal? Why didn't they have a tradition of burning the bodies? Or putting some of the wall magic in the crypts? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I have to give this episode credit though, it did surprise me. I was certain Grey Worm was toast. I did not think Jon was going to be insignificant to the fight (but I have mixed feelings on that one)

And Lyanna was the saddest death for me. She's my fav

• Upvote 3

I wasn't a fan of this episode. For one, I think I had battle fatigue from all of the marvel movies I've watched this past week. (Still waiting to see endgame so please don't spoil it for me.) For two, we couldn't see anything so we had to pause and adjust settings and go get the summer blinds out of the crawl space and put those up and it was still hard to really know what was going on, even though we have a new 4k TV. I think HBO should have done some testing on their product for average people, as it seems to be a common complaint. 

But production or lighting choices aside, I just feel kind of confused and unfulfilled, especially in regards to any of the magic related storylines. 

I think it will all make more sense when the story is done. From what I understand, the director they got (who also directed battle of the bastards) wanted to do 3,4, and 5 as they are a beginning, middle, and end but there wasn't time. So he wanted to do 4 and 5, but they told him 3 and 5. So my guess is that next week will be some more buildup and fallout, 5 will be another battle, and 6 will be some sort of epilogue? Idk. It's hard to see where this is going right now and to be honest I don't really care about the throne. I thought that was kind of the point - humans are distracted while global warming/white walkers destroys the land. Plus I wanted to see winter come to Kings Landing. 

But at the same time it makes sense, like they are off saving the world while the dictator on the throne drinks wine and the common folk in Kings Landing have no idea and now they will have to fight her with reduced forces. The world doesn't stop so some "leaders" can argue by raven, small folk continue to work the fields and procreate.  

I have a lot of questions about the world. George I need TWOW please and thank you. 

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon