IGNORED

Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon

47of74

Just now, JenniferJuniper said:

Ice (Sansa) and Fire (Tyrion, assuming he's actually Targaryen)?   Interesting possibilities.

Not necessarily as Ice and Fire but back together/resuming their marriage.

• Upvote 1

I see now Rush Limbaugh is whining about Game of Thrones

Rush Limbaugh has apparently lost his damn mind, not unlike Cersei Lannister. Recently, he decided to post a rant about Millennials recapping Game of Thrones on his website. Thank goodness Cersei doesn’t have the power of the Interwebz at her fingertips.

Limbaugh, like many people (me included), enjoys watching Game of Thrones. He also enjoys reading the recaps about this show, but only the ones written by Millennials. Why? Because he thinks we (I, too, am a Millennial) are deluded enough to believe the show is real because we watch it on our phones.

Yes, you read that correctly: he thinks that all Millennials believe Game of Thrones is real life. Because we watch it on our phones.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

First of all, a show of this quality, believe me, i'm watching it in the big TV with my great internet connection and even wearing my glasses. I don't want to miss any details. And second, of course we're invested in the show and with its characters, i've been hooked to this shit since i was 14. I have literally grown up with Sansa and Arya, but there's a biiiig line between been invested and believing dragons are real. If i believed this was real i'd be a little more disgusted than i was when Arya commited mass murder. 

And a message to Rush Limbaugh: Have you forgotten how much fun it is to be so hooked to a story you actually end up feeling inside the story? Do you think we don't love to watch and comment with friends, family, and even random people, just because they get it? Don't you think it has ever helped us connect with people?

And now i'm reading his other post on millenials and masculinity, and woah, if you had actually made the effort on even searching on google about jane the virgin, well, you'd have a hell more to say about it than it being about a girl who is a virgin. Why wouldn't we use napkins? Saying  that an 86% of millenials don't use napkins seems like a wild guess.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad the hotel I'm at has HBO so I was able to get my weekly GoT fix.

Spoiler

Loved the conversation between Sandor and Tormund. 

Loved Tormunds line about wanting to make babies with Brianne of Tarth.

I has a sad about poor Visereys.

• Upvote 4

Nothing shocking, i liked the finale. But damn, that ass shot has done nothing but prove how thirsty i am :pb_lol:. Now we have to wait over a year for the next season, ugh, i need the damn book to handle the wait

• Upvote 4

My aspiring writer self may have geeked out over how plot pieces fell together last night.  

I could endure the long wait if I had the next novel to entertain me.  but alas - we wait for that too.  

• Upvote 3

I am minorly annoyed at a couple of things: 

1. Did the White Walkers somehow set up the confrontation with the good guys super group? So much of episode 6 makes little sense. The WW bring cold with them - they could have easily froze the lake and killed Jon & Friends. The Night King javalined Vicerion, who was flying, while Drogon was closer, had people on it, and was not moving. Furthermore, earlier in the episode, they kill the WW and all the wights die but one. Why only one? It's very convenient. 
  2. There is already an Aegon. In both the show and the books. I hate it when show runners assume we are all stupid idiots who don't pay attention. Yes, some people like incredibly vapid TV. Most of those people aren't watching GOT. 
  3. Arya killing Littlefinger and saying that Sansa passed the sentence is just sad. Ned made a big deal of "the man who passes the sentence swings the sword" and not having a headsman like southern lords. 
  4. Cersei has to be lying about her pregnancy. It makes no sense and was kind of a waste of time.

Overall I enjoyed the season, even if I thought a lot of it was dumb and fan service. The change in pace was good, and I don't get too hung up on tiny details like travel time - things are all happening at different speeds, whatever.

I'd really like to see a better adaptation of books 3-5. I know they have to cut things and change things and combine characters for TV. But there was so much they cut and changed. If they want to humanize the Lannister armies, they have dozens of scenes from the book to adapt instead of giving a  cameo to ed sheeran. Why bother with the sand snakes at all if they are going to do that? Just cut Dorne completely if you aren't going to do Arianne. They changed Asha's name to Yara "because it would confuse people" but they left Bran and Bronn. Some of these decisions just don't make sense to me.  

I LIKE the fantasy elements and the way some of these characters are larger than life. But they dialed back the fantasy to make it more realistic; but at the same time they don't pay a lot of attention to things like characterization.

• Upvote 2

@Maggie Mae Cersei is so not pregnant. The pony touched her stomach while plotting, not while the while Walker was attacking her. And about viserion, i've edad a couple of theories about the Night king, and probably he is a greenseer, as bran, so of course he knew the dragons were coming, plus, it's not like he is in a rush or anything. But the point of killing viserion and not rhaegon, was because rhaegon is the most hardened by battle, and the fall made impossible for him the escape. I don't even think i know what the fuck i'm talking about, whatever, his namesake was a jerk

8 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I don't even think i know what the fuck i'm talking about, whatever, his namesake was a jerk

Rhaegar? Or Viserys? I guess they are/were both jerks. Rhaegar for abandoning his first wife and children; Viserys for selling his sister and being overall a creeper. 

I think Viserion had to die - his namesake was killed and there was no heir.  Jon will ride Rhaegon as Rhaegon was named for his bio dad Rhaegar. Dany continues to ride her stallion Drogo/Drogon. 

I think my favorite not-bloody-likely-actually-GRRM-disproved theory is the one where Ser Arthur Dayne and Rhaegar Targaryen somehow escape and head for the Wall. Mance Raydar is actually Rhaegar and Qhorin Halfhand is Ser Arthur Dayne.  "Evidence" of this is that Mance has a black and red cloak and likes music. Rhaegar also liked music. Yup. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I think my favorite not-bloody-likely-actually-GRRM-disproved theory is the one where Ser Arthur Dayne and Rhaegar Targaryen somehow escape and head for the Wall. Mance Raydar is actually Rhaegar and Qhorin Halfhand is Ser Arthur Dayne.  "Evidence" of this is that Mance has a black and red cloak and likes music. Rhaegar also liked music. Yup. 

Um. Um. What?!?

I'm still having issues with the boat sex scene. On one level it's incest and that's icky. But a part of me keeps rationalizing that they're just actors and not really related, so it's cool (or rather hot). But I totally don't have that reaction with Lena Headey and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. It's so weird.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Bethella said:

Um. Um. What?!?

I'm still having issues with the boat sex scene. On one level it's incest and that's icky. But a part of me keeps rationalizing that they're just actors and not really related, so it's cool (or rather hot). But I totally don't have that reaction with Lena Headey and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. It's so weird.

That was the tamest sex scene in the history of HBO.  It still was kind of squicky...

I really wasnt happy with the writing this season.  I know they're totally out of the books, but it just seems like stuff isnt as well thought out as the previous seasons were.  All this plotting and planning and all of a sudden everyone is acting recklessly.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Bethella said:

Um. Um. What?!?

I hate to do this, but google Mance is Rhaegar. There's this: http://manceisrhaegar.blogspot.com/ but it's really long.

I think it started with "Mance likes music and has a black & red clock. Melisandre has a glamour and rubies. Rhaegar's house colors are black and red and rubies at the red fork. Therefore Mance = Rhaegar." https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1jenfc/spoilers_all_just_a_little_theory_of_mine_about/

2 hours ago, Bethella said:

Maybe because Dany's his aunt, instead of twins? I don't know. I have more of an issue with Cersei & Jaime as they grew up together. My parents friends kids that I was babies/preschool/elementary school with are the absolute least attractive people on the planet. I mean, I'm sure other people think they are hot, they got married and all. But something about marrying/having sex with someone you grew up with just grosses me out. 

• Upvote 2

A few things:

1. The writing and plot have absolutely suffered since Season Five. This is partly because Martin had to step back from helping them write scripts so he could focus on other projects and partly because they had so few episodes left to work with. 

2. Arya's storyline the second half of the season sums up everything that is wrong with the show - they tossed out everything we knew about her via character development for the sake of getting the plot to a certain point and for the "shock" value of Littlefinger's death.

(Shock is in parenthesis because anyone who was paying attention and had ever tried their hand at writing knew he was going to kick it this season. They have six episodes to wrap everything up in the final season and Homeboy had nothing left to contribute to move the plot forward - all he was capable of was causing more chaos, which wouldn't do anything productive story wise at this point. Plus, no way they'd be able to reconcile the emotional fallout of one sister killing the other in only six episodes.)

3. The scene of Dany landing at Dragonstone in the first episode was beautiful. This isn't just any old spot, this was the only place that was ever really "home" for Dany. It's where she was born, where her mother died, where her life as an outcast and a refugee began... there is a ton of history for her there and returning to that specific spot had to have been absolutely overwhelming after a lifetime yearning for a home. Dialogue in that scene would have been a massive mistake - no words could do justice to that moment for Dany.

4. I want to be Lady Olenna when I grow up. 

5. Sansa absolutely killed in that scene in the Great Hall. I've been cheering for her for years now and it was phenomenal getting to see her finally get revenge against the man responsible for so many horrific things happening to her.

To me, it makes sense that Sansa wouldn't kill Littlefinger herself though. This wasn't just Sansa getting personal revenge - this was each remaining Stark child playing a specific role in achieving justice for the horrors their family endured since season one. It was meant to be symbolic and, speaking from a character development POV, it makes far more sense the way they handled that scene. Sansa is tough as nails and a rising political star, but she's no executioner. Having her execute Littlefinger wouldn't have been realistic for her character.

Besides, she's made it clear that she loved her father and Robb very much, but they made stupid choices based off honor and they got themselves killed for it. Sansa doesn't intend to follow that example, though she follows it in other ways (like being a fair, stable, and effective surrogate ruler in Jon's absence.) Her time in the South clearly had a massive impact on her and its her ability to adapt and change that has kept her alive so long.

6. There are (possibly) two Aegons alive in the books, but only one alive on the show. Many sons in the Targaryen family were named for Aegon the Conqueror and it's important to remember that Lyanna Stark was one of the last in the Targaryen family to die - she outlived Rhaegar, Aerys, Elia, and both her stepchildren. It's possible she knew that and named her son Aegon for that reason.

Regardless, his true name doesn't matter much. He may be part Targaryen, but he was raised by Ned Stark and is his son in every way other than biologically. His entire identity and reputation has been built around being Jon Snow and I doubt learning his name is really Aegon Targaryen is going to change him much.

7. Bran is officially the worst for these two moments: 

"Hey Sansa! I know I haven't seen you in years and you're pretty stoked I'm alive, but you looked super beautiful that night you were first brutally raped by Ramsay Bolton!" 

As well as, "Hey Sam! I only met you that one time and I have actual family members who should probably know first, but let me tell you all about my not half-brother's secret parentage and right to the Iron Throne!"

Like, we're so creeped out by Bran we actually ruled out naming a potential future son Brandon (which is the first name we would have used had our daughter been a boy.)

8. Cersei is either lying about the pregnancy or the pregnancy will result in death (for her and/or the baby.) The fortune teller was clear that she would have three royal children who would die before her. Nothing was ever said about a fourth child and the prophecy has been correct so far. 

9. I want to know what happened to Ramsay's dogs. Are they alive? Are they being well cared for? Do they have nice playtime in the snow? And what about Ghost, who truly lived up to his name this season (because of budget constraints)? If we don't see him at least once extra season I'm going to be really pissed. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1
  • Love 2

The pacing of seasons 6 and 7 are horrible.  It shows that they've gone past where the published books left off.  It shows that they aren't cribbing off of Martin.  

The Dany/Jon scene was not quite all that for me because (related to the novels so spoilering)

Spoiler

in the books when we left off Dany was married to some guy who's name escapes me.  And there was the whole bit with the eldest Martel heir and the marriage contract.  And my mind just can't let go of those details from the novel because it's asking 'um but what 'really' happens?' (really being in the books).  

And since I'm having to - due to pacing issues - pretend that weeks or months pass between episodes in season 7 I suppose the Cersei's alleged pregnancy is growing on a different timeline (much like her hair)

I've found the later seasons much more enjoyable once i accepted they were basically fan fiction. It's cool, it's fun, it's nothing like the books. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, clueliss said:

some guy who's name escapes me

Hizdahr zo Loraq

• Upvote 2

• 7 months later...

Book readers, are we ever going to see Winds of Winter? Should I give up? Will Martin live to complete the series?

Should I stop thinking characters who were done wrong on the show will receive justice in the last books?

:anyone:

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
On 4/22/2018 at 9:17 PM, TatiFish9 said:

Book readers, are we ever going to see Winds of Winter? Should I give up? Will Martin live to complete the series?

Should I stop thinking characters who were done wrong on the show will receive justice in the last books?

:anyone:

I wish I had answers for you, but I've basically given up, haha. I hope I'm wrong and that these characters get a do-over in book form.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Well, here we go!

I picked up the the first three books in 2004/2005. I was looking for something to do. I was enamored. Then, in 2008 I stalked the casting notices. 

I’ve, sadly, given up on George. I read enough of his blog to get a sense of his nature. The man is not a workhorse and this eclipsed who he ever was. He is older. He has other passions.

I know the tv show has faults as an adaptation. However, on it’s own footing - take a look at this article from esteemed tv critic Matt Zoller-Seitz. The era of tv that we watch together has died.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/game-of-thrones-the-last-show-we-watch-together.html

• Upvote 2

Ya'll, I just watched my first ever episode of Game of Thrones!!!

I read about half of the first book and have gleaned various facts from people discussing it around me over the years, so I was not totally lost. Just, like... 80% lost, maybe. 

I found it quite enjoyable, if a little bemusing, given that I, you know, don't know who 8/10 of these people are. Now I feel like I have to go back and somehow binge watch the entirety of the series before next Sunday so that I'm caught up. ?

• Upvote 5

CALLING IT NOW:
The armies gather. Stark, Lannister, Targaryen, Freezer-Burnt Voldemort & his army of Black Friday Shoppers.

Swords drawn. Silent thunder. Sean Bean is still dead somewhere. AND THEN:

The sky darkens, then splits into a giant blob of blinding white across all within sight, splattering from the heavens and landing on every character during what appears to be the most drawn-out D&D session/Battle-of-Helms-Deep-But-With-More-Dragon in existence, obliterating everyone, everything, everywhere in waves of uber-whiteness that could shame even the most Caucasian of Delaware townships. 
Cue camera panning back......it's George R.R. Martin, dumping the entire WhiteOut bottle on a pile of his manuscripts on the sink next to him as he is proudly perched in a custom-built toilet made of iron. 
He removes his signature fisherman's cap, revealing not a head of grey hair, but two bright pink pig ears. 
The Looney Tunes logo appears around him as the cartoon music plays. He coyly adjusts his bowtie.
"TH-THE-TH-THE-TH-TH-TH-THAT'S ALL, FOLKS!"

• Haha 6

@singsingsingI started putting together a Cheat Sheet, but lost everything I had (which was actually a lot.) If you have specific questions I’d be happy to try and answer them though. :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon