IGNORED

Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon

47of74

The trailer just dropped today;

Looking forward to 07/16. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 3

I don't know if I can wait to more months.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Bethella said:

I don't know if I can wait to more months.

*two (oops) 

I am so excited for this season!!! I think I am going to spend this month and half wait on re-watching the last 6 seasons. Every time I re-watch the series I notice new things I missed the first time. 

I also need to read the books, I need to get on that.

Edited by Diggingupdirt
adding content
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Diggingupdirt said:

I also need to read the books, I need to get on that.

I've started the books 3 times but I just can't get into them. I'll stick with the show until he finally finishes the series, then read everything all at once.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Can i say how much i fucking love Arya? 

And that was the most gratuitous cameo ever

Yeah, winter came for House Frey.  And kicked its fucking ass. 

Looks like the janitors/undertakers/etc are gonna be putting in a bit of overtime at the Twins cleaning up that mess.

• Upvote 6

Lyanna Mormont is still badass.  I want to be here when I grow up.  

• Upvote 9

I ... didn't love it. I mean, I loved it. But I thought the Arya is Walder Frey cold open was sort of cheesy and unbelievable. I'm not sure how the mechanics of the faceless men work anymore - does the face adjust height and voice now too? I don't think it did in the past. I'm pretty sure it didn't in the books, but it's been a long time since I read AFFC & ADWD. 

The guy painting the floor and Cersei walking over the possibly wet paint took me out of the show as well. Plus I was sort of bored by her and her wig last night. 

I really enjoyed Brienne and Tormund's scene together. 

I disliked Sansa and Jon fighting, although I actually kind of liked how it shows that Sansa has been influenced by the politics of the South while Jon is staying true to the North; I thought she shouldn't have questioned him publicly like she did. Reminded me of the time Jorah and Barristan questioned Dany and she laid into them. 

I was so curious as to what Sam is up to and excited to see Jim Broadbent aka Slughorn aka Bridget Jones' Dad, aka guy in everything. Then we got a montage that lasted way to long and ended with me gagging and closing my eyes, telling the SO to tell me when I could look again. 

Dany's arrival was underwhelming because both me and the SO don't really understand why she would care about a place she's only heard about and figured her feelings weren't really genuine. I tried to explain it away with magic and that's kind of dumb too.  

• Upvote 6

31 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I ... didn't love it. I mean, I loved it. But I thought the Arya is Walder Frey cold open was sort of cheesy and unbelievable. I'm not sure how the mechanics of the faceless men work anymore - does the face adjust height and voice now too? I don't think it did in the past. I'm pretty sure it didn't in the books, but it's been a long time since I read AFFC & ADWD. 

The guy painting the floor and Cersei walking over the possibly wet paint took me out of the show as well. Plus I was sort of bored by her and her wig last night. 

I really enjoyed Brienne and Tormund's scene together. 

I disliked Sansa and Jon fighting, although I actually kind of liked how it shows that Sansa has been influenced by the politics of the South while Jon is staying true to the North; I thought she shouldn't have questioned him publicly like she did. Reminded me of the time Jorah and Barristan questioned Dany and she laid into them. 

I was so curious as to what Sam is up to and excited to see Jim Broadbent aka Slughorn aka Bridget Jones' Dad, aka guy in everything. Then we got a montage that lasted way to long and ended with me gagging and closing my eyes, telling the SO to tell me when I could look again. 

Dany's arrival was underwhelming because both me and the SO don't really understand why she would care about a place she's only heard about and figured her feelings weren't really genuine. I tried to explain it away with magic and that's kind of dumb too.  

As I recall the books the faceless men did use magic to change their appearance rather than taking on someone's physical face.  I seem to recall that Jaquen's voice also changed when he spoke while disguised.

The end of season 6 left the impression that Dany's forces were going to immediately cut a swath towards the Iron Throne upon landing on Westeros.  It makes sense though that she would establish a beachhead on Westeros in order to prepare her forces to head north.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 47of74 said:

As I recall the books the faceless men did use magic to change their appearance rather than taking on someone's physical face.  I seem to recall that Jaquen's voice also changed when he spoke while disguised.

The end of season 6 left the impression that Dany's forces were going to immediately cut a swath towards the Iron Throne upon landing on Westeros.  It makes sense though that she would establish a beachhead on Westeros in order to prepare her forces to head north.

I also took it as a "we finally made it across the sea" after all those years planning it, by herself and her brother talking about it, kind of a combo of that. 

I also agree that Sansa shouldn't have questioned him in front of everyone, but as someone else said on another forum "it gives Jon the opportunity to give a point-by-point explanation of why he will not visit the mistakes of fathers on their children, and Jon doesn’t have to bang heads with a lord old enough to be his father/grandfather to do it"

• Upvote 3

Count me in as someone who didn't totally love the episode. It was just too predictable and almost plodding. 

• Upvote 2

While I wouldn't call it LOVE, I was quite satisfied with the episode. My thoughts:

The Hound's redemption is the once thing I keep swinging back and forth on. On one hand, I like the tragic way they brought back the farmer + daughter, and I like the nod to the fan theories by having the Hound dig graves. On the other hand, I just can't see GRRM writing the Hound like this and it's hard to shake.

The library in the Citadel is the most Harry Potter-ish element I've seen in Game of Thrones.

Sansa and Jon butting heads is really interesting- I'm so curious as to where that goes. I increasingly like Sansa and am just furious at Littlefinger every time he even speaks to her... but I believe Sansa (the character) in her current form would prefer to swallow her pain and deal with it if it may have a strategic advantage. 

I've liked the previous Game of Thrones cameos but Ed Sheeran is just too famous for this. It really took me out of the show. At the same time, I feel bad for saying that because I think he did a good job with the acting and singing.

I remember the faceless men in the books as being more magical/fantastical than they've been shown in the show, so I didn't really have a problem with Arya's body changing.

Still loving Arya and Dany. Cersei and Jamie are going down, and I doubt it'll be in a romantic and unified way.

Edited by NakedKnees
More thoughts!
  • Upvote 4

I don't know about Dany.  She's clearly more interested in power than she is in the people.  Unlike her nephew Jon.

I'm most curious about Arya's story line.  I'm not sure she can really go home again, not after what she's been through and become.

• Upvote 3

I am really hoping for a situation in which Dany and Jon severely disagree on something (bending the knee for example), and one of the dragons defends Jon. Just the look on Dany's face.

• Upvote 5

I think Dany ending up on the Iron Throne is just too obvious, I think it has to be someone else, maybe Tyrion. I also suspect that if Jon survives he may go back to the Wall (or rebuild the Wall if it falls).

• Upvote 3

On 7/26/2017 at 2:37 AM, Timetraveler said:

one of the dragons defends Jon. Just the look on Dany's face.

Hadn't thought of that.  She's their mother but Jon may be the rightful heir.  They've already shown some deference to Tyrion (implying possibly he's got some Targaryen  in him).  Bran knows the truth about Jon's heritage (as I suspect does Little Finger) but some dragon love might help shore up his story.  

On 8/2/2017 at 7:15 AM, JenniferJuniper said:

Hadn't thought of that.  She's their mother but Jon may be the rightful heir.  They've already shown some deference to Tyrion (implying possibly he's got some Targaryen  in him).  Bran knows the truth about Jon's heritage (as I suspect does Little Finger) but some dragon love might help shore up his story.  

Another speculated scenario is Dany tries to have the dragons burn Jon and he walks out of the fire unburnt just like her.

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, Bethella said:

Another speculated scenario is Dany tries to have the dragons burn Jon and he walks out of the fire unburnt just like her.

Dany's ears pricked up immediately at Ser Davos' comment about Jon surviving a knife through the heart, even though Tyrion blew it off.

The title of the book has always reminded me of the Robert Frost poem Fire and Ice:

Spoiler

Some say the world will end in fire, 

Some say in ice. 

From what I’ve tasted of desire 

I hold with those who favor fire. 

But if it had to perish twice, 

I think I know enough of hate 

To say that for destruction ice 

Is also great 

And would suffice.

Jon is both fire and ice, being half Targaryen and half Stark.  He and Tyrion are the two most honorable remaining major characters (if we're not counting Sam as a major character here).  Dany's not horrible, possibly just young, but she seems less likely to me to be the prince(ess) that was promised.  Jon may be too obvious too. Which may leave us with Tyrion or even Sansa.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Which may leave us with Tyrion or even Sansa.

I think the two of them will get back together in the end (assuming they survive)

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bethella said:

I think the two of them will get back together in the end (assuming they survive)

Ice (Sansa) and Fire (Tyrion, assuming he's actually Targaryen)?   Interesting possibilities.

I know incest is cool with the Targs, but for some reason I can't see Jon marrying his auntie.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon