IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 28 - A Mild Inappropriate Lawsuit

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Don't most fundamentalist Christians believe in demons?

It's a very handy way to do exactly as you please and yet square it away with your religious community: 'He made me do it'. - relieves all those nasty, inconvenient things like personal responsibility.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Fjrocks said:

With the rehashing of the molestations  and the tabloid train wreck this is quickly becoming,  I imagine victim #5 is absolutely cringing her privacy remains intact. 

I hope they are not thrown under the bus by any parties involved in the lawsuit. 

If the Duggars do out the 5th victim with this lawsuit I would say that the 5th victim has a good case against them for basically everything the Duggar sisters are claiming. 

18 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

To the question about education. I believe this tweet my D-wreck sums it up. 

"A through knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education" - Theodore Roosevelt (Derick retweeted this with an "Amen") 

Makes you wonder what a 'through education' is (I'm guessing that's DWreck's error, not Roosevelt's). Kinda gives a mental image of some sort of drive through one approaches with a book in one hand and a burger in the other, while driving with their knees.

16 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Yes. I'm sorry. He said "thorough". 

It's an understandable one. ;) My guess is if you got near enough to be able to look into one ear, you could likely see daylight the other side.

6 hours ago, Fluffy14 said:

I don't feel bad for Anna. She chose this. She chose him with her eyes wide open this time around. Boo bloody hoo darling. Anna has a special place now amongst the fundie elite.  Her claim to fame is spiritual martyrdom. She is forgiving, strong, faithful, loving, enduring, a Proverbs 31 woman of GOD.

I have a feeling the woman described in Proverbs 31 would have had the balls to kick a husband like Josh on the curb, sell her land at a good profit, and sail off with one of her trading ships to a nice Mediterranean location to make a fresh start. In no time she'd have a new business going probably in exotic fabrics and imported food. Rich men would be fighting for her favors. Her children would be thankful to see their mother flourish once more and would 'rise up and call her blessed'.

Gothard women with their plexus and cupcakes in jars bear no resemblance  to this wise and capable (international) business woman.

Even if Josh gets money from a lawsuit, it won't last with Anna still having babies to support. They will end up living like his family in the very beginning. Well he better do something fast, because he will end up being a fundie bum soon.

Fundie bum list:

a. David rodrigues

b. John Shrader

c. Jody Hodnett

d. Derick Dillard

e. Josh Duggar

f. Ben Seewald

Not in any particular order. I need to go out soon so just a starter list.

Carry on!!

Nope, no poor Anna. Josh (is a douche) showed her who he really is a long time ago. She refuses to accept it. She is not the goo-goo eyed virgin fundy "girl" she was when she was married off to him . 

Anna could have been well on the way to building a good life for her and her children if she had accepted offers to help her get out.

Poor children? Yes. 

11 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Nope, no poor Anna. Josh (is a douche) showed her who he really is a long time ago. She refuses to accept it. She is not the goo-goo eyed virgin fundy "girl" she was when she was married off to him . 

Anna could have been well on the way to building a good life for her and her children if she had accepted offers to help her get out.

Poor children? Yes. 

Agree.  She had plenty of time to reflect on Josh and his behavior and speak with her family members who offered help during his 6 month stay in "rehab".   Whether he continues to see other women or not, who knows, but we do know he's a sloth.  If he really wanted to rebuild their lives, he'd get off his father's teat, move away and start a new life that involves hard work to support his ever growing brood.  But rather than do any of these things, he'd prefer to sue over the legal release of a police investigation into his crimes against children.   (And it's laughable that he's claiming he lost income, as FRC and TLC would just as surely have fired him a few months later when the Ashley Madison story came out!)

Anna isn't a doe-eyed child anymore.  Yes, she was raised in a cult, but several of her siblings have broken away and she's many times more worldly than she was when she married Josh.  But she's made the conscious decision to stay  - and continue to get pregnant - with an obvious total loser.  It may not end soon, but it will end eventually and she'll be far worse single with 10 kids when she's 40.  

I seem to recall an episode where she talked about how glad she was she had a husband because single women have to take out their own garbage.  Well, girlfriend, looks like your garbage is a heck of a lot heavier than any single gal's could be.

I go back and forth on feeling sorry for Anna. Yes, she was dealt a really shitty hand. She has awful parents who sold her off to a disgusting headship. But she's a grown ass woman now, with almost 5 kids. At some point you need to start thinking about what's best for your children. Even with all the  brainwashing she's been subjected to, how can she honestly think that having more and more kids with that asshole is what God wants?

17 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I seem to recall an episode where she talked about how glad she was she had a husband because single women have to take out their own garbage.  Well, girlfriend, looks like your garbage is a heck of a lot heavier than any single gal's could be.

I have carpenter ants in one of my suites and I would much rather deal with that on MY OWN (ok with the exterminator) than deal with Josh 

Anna you are enabler and selfish 

I said this when the scandals broke 2 years ago but I think Josh will be the one to write the tell all.  He has the need for attention and getting in the last word. Now he's shown that he's desperate to right supposed wrongs and needs the money, preferably without putting in real effort.  If and when this lawsuit is decided against him and he's laid even lower he may try to sell his story. It will most likely be his own warped view. If his family turns against him we might get some true insider scoop. The only thing is who would actually offer him a book deal? 

8 hours ago, The limit does not exist said:

If the Duggars do out the 5th victim with this lawsuit I would say that the 5th victim has a good case against them for basically everything the Duggar sisters are claiming. 

I don't see why they would purposely. Outing them risks legal action (as you pointed out), but it also risks pissing them off enough to give interviews about what actually happened. No way are they going to want that on top of everything else. They won't be able to control the narrative even a little bit if that happens.

I could see one of them slipping up accidentally though. Not that intent would mean anything - outing a sexual assault victim is shitty whether you meant to or not.

33 minutes ago, General Jinjur said:

I go back and forth on feeling sorry for Anna. Yes, she was dealt a really shitty hand. She has awful parents who sold her off to a disgusting headship. But she's a grown ass woman now, with almost 5 kids. At some point you need to start thinking about what's best for your children. Even with all the  brainwashing she's been subjected to, how can she honestly think that having more and more kids with that asshole is what God wants?

Absolutely how I feel. She didn't ask to be born into a cult and she likely didn't know the full story when she married Josh. But she also chose to stay with him and she chose to continue having children. She's almost 30, been married for almost a decade, and will soon have 5 kids. Personal responsibility has to kick in at some point and I'm pretty sure she reached that point a while ago.

That said - this new baby is an innocent child who didn't ask to be born into this life. So for the child's sake (and the sake of their other children), I truly hope Anna has a healthy pregnancy and safe delivery. 

Anna is a victim. That doesn't mean she's a perfect blameless saint, but a victim she most definitely is. She does not have the resources to break away and build a new life for herself and her soon to be five children, and even if she did, she's been brainwashed from birth to believe otherwise. Even secular, liberal, educated women sometimes find it impossible to break out of an abusive relationship. Anna is none of those things, and (as far as we know) Josh is not abusive. I think this is a much more complicated situation than, "Come on Anna, your husband's a piece of shit, kick him to the curb and be free!" That's a nice fantasy, but it's not exactly her reality.

9 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I think this is a much more complicated situation than, "Come on Anna, your husband's a piece of shit, kick him to the curb and be free!" That's a nice fantasy, but it's not exactly her reality.

Granted, however, none of the Duggars are actually living in anything resembling reality, are they?  I think if Anna was living a non-reality show life, fundie or no, she'd be in a better position to assess her situation and ultimately make the best decision for herself and her kids.  But she's still living in the reality show bubble (Jesus, they were just featured again in People Magazine) and still getting nice things from Jim Bob so she'll delay the inevitable until the Josh shit completely hits the fan.  Which it will.  

I think part of my fascination with fundies is rooted in the question of when the women who were raised and brainwashed into the cult change from victims to perpetrators of generational spiritual abuse, and when that person becomes accountable for their actions within the cult.  Also, at what point they can break free, etc.  Carolyn Jessup managed to get out but she had a real college education.  With no education or job skills and soon-to-be-five children, she's not in the demographic that generally gets out.

And I do think it's helpful to remember that this *is* a cult that is becoming multigenerational, and spiritually abuses their members.  She's supposed to appeal to her in-laws as authorities over Josh, and her MIL says it's her fault he cheated because she wasn't joyfully available at all times.  And even Carolyn essentially had to write a book to make sure her son Harrison got the medical care he would need the rest of his life. If Anna left and wrote a book I'd buy it, but that probably hasn't even crossed her mind as an option, and takes time before it generates income.

3 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Fundie bum list:

a. David rodrigues

b. John Shrader

c. Jody Hodnett

d. Derick Dillard

e. Josh Duggar

f. Ben Seewald

Not in any particular order. I need to go out soon so just a starter list.

Carry on!!

Ben is a prize on that list. I never would have guessed because I thought Jessa could do so much better, but now she looks like she won the husband lotto.

I'm mostly a lurker on this page, but I don't have anyone to really share my weird fundie dream. I will just share it here since it involves FJ too.

I dreamed all the users of Fj slowly walked out side their homes and in a movie montage type effect we all put white flags out in our yards and porches.  It was a symbol of everyone giving up after Josh joined the lawsuit.  That we all couldn't take the ridiculousness of what was actually happening.

Dream me and awake me just cant understand where Josh would even think he has any right. He would never be a victim (in his eyes NOT mine) if he hadn't victimized others....

39 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Anna is a victim. That doesn't mean she's a perfect blameless saint, but a victim she most definitely is. She does not have the resources to break away and build a new life for herself and her soon to be five children, and even if she did, she's been brainwashed from birth to believe otherwise. Even secular, liberal, educated women sometimes find it impossible to break out of an abusive relationship. Anna is none of those things, and (as far as we know) Josh is not abusive. I think this is a much more complicated situation than, "Come on Anna, your husband's a piece of shit, kick him to the curb and be free!" That's a nice fantasy, but it's not exactly her reality.

Okay minor spoiler alert for HBOs Big Little Lies.

I think the show does a great job illustrating how someone who is liberal, intelligent, educated, and has access to all the resources in the world can still be "brainwashed" by abuse. It's complicated. There are other factors at play, particularly related to children and family and even community. So it's never so easy for these adult women to leave the cult without professional assistance. Even in the show the character is resistant at first but eventually able to do what needs to be done because of a knowledgeable professional. It's why organizations that empower women to leave these groups are so important. I've seen women's groups for fundamentalist LDS and extremist sects of Orthodox Jews but not sure if they exists for more general run of the mill type fundies.

Okay, I found the "Exhibit A" -- his complaint.  Pdf from the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

The quote that kills me:  "Through their disclosure of the Offense Report, Incident Report, and details of the Investigation, the IN TOUCH DEFENDANTS scandalized Plaintiff-Intervenor’s painful experiences as a youthful offender."

I'm afraid if I say what I really think about that statement it'd be a violation of FJ's few rules.

I think Anna is both a victim and a victimizer, a trait that many fundie women seem to share. Last night, I was reading "The Road to Jonestown," the newest book on the subject, and I was struck at how Marceline Jones, Jim Jones's wife fit this victim-victimizer role. On the one hand, she was treated horribly by her husband, who cheated on her, gaslight her, made her sound like a lunatic to her children and the wider Temple community, and had a child with at least one other woman (the paternity of John Victor Stoen, a second Jones claimed to have fathered, is a mystery to this day, whereas there is no doubt about the paternity of Kimo Prokes, whom he fathered with his favorite mistress). At the same time, Marceline was a true believer in the Temple cause and her husband's work, and was willing to issue harsh discipline in the community to accomplish these goals. She also enabled Jones in his drug abuse and megalomania, hoping that she could manage it or somehow get him to change his ways. Similarly, I think Anna was dealt a bad hand by being kept sexually ignorant and bereft of educational and vocational skills, and being told she had to have a bajillion kids for Jesus with her headship. But at this point, trying to be a marriage marytr is only victimizing her children and any additional ones that may arrive. Her lifestyle is being subsidized by JB, and that's not sustainable, especially given how many dependents (and counting) he has to support. This lawsuit is only going to further alienate Josh many the eyes of the public, so she's hitching herself and her children to a sinking ship.

9 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

This lawsuit is only going to further alienate Josh many the eyes of the public, so she's hitching herself and her children to a sinking ship.

I also believe this and - having absolutely no proof whatsoever - believe it is also going to alienate him within his own family.  I just don't see why the four woman would allow him to join the case as there is a far more solid chance they would be successful than he would be.

Josh needs to listen to the White Stripes - you can't take the effect and make it the cause

4 hours ago, moriah said:

Okay, I found the "Exhibit A" -- his complaint.  Pdf from the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

The quote that kills me:  "Through their disclosure of the Offense Report, Incident Report, and details of the Investigation, the IN TOUCH DEFENDANTS scandalized Plaintiff-Intervenor’s painful experiences as a youthful offender."

I'm afraid if I say what I really think about that statement it'd be a violation of FJ's few rules.

Aw poor baby, commiting sexual assault must have been so difficult to endure. :pb_rollseyes:

3 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I also believe this and - having absolutely no proof whatsoever - believe it is also going to alienate him within his own family.  I just don't see why the four woman would allow him to join the case as there is a far more solid chance they would be successful than he would be.

In his messed up belief system a woman, or multiple women, are not the authority of one man...
And I don't think it will alienate him from the counting on ladies--he's the reason THEY got the show (and PAID). I think it has gotten him alienated from JD and Jana (wasn't it John David that said at one point he no longer looked up to him? one of the older boys said that in the early part of Counting On), and maybe a few of the older boys. 
I just get this picture of Josh saying 'look, if it was so bad you would have remembered (Jessa and PTSD Jill) and you wouldn't have a place for your husband's platforms AND you wouldn't have amazing weddings without the show...

Josh Duggar hasn't survived all these years without manipulation. 

I'm sure he's said something about having a wife and family to support, too. 

The system is not supposed to profit the guilty, and I sincerely hope that his showboating causes the whole case to be tossed out.

39 minutes ago, moriah said:

"Through their disclosure of the Offense Report, Incident Report, and details of the Investigation, the IN TOUCH DEFENDANTS scandalized Plaintiff-Intervenor’s painful experiences as a youthful offender."

I've lost my ability to find words, so now I only speak in gifs. 

Spoiler

wth.gif.1886228d7db9025b6a9a1ad44e95a511.gif

I just tried to explain this whole clusterfuck to Mr.Scrabblemaster. And he was like :pb_eek:.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic
  • hoipolloi unpinned this topic

Archived