IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 28 - A Mild Inappropriate Lawsuit

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, Berty K said:

This is why I think they might win. 

A year, an age, and a relationship makes it pretty easy (too easy) to identify the victim. 

Couldn't InTouch make the argument that the average person doesn't know the exact ages of the Duggar women, so the information isn't necessarily going to automatically out them? The Duggars only have fame as a unit, not as individuals, unlike a family like the Kardashian-Jenners where each member is famous in their own right. Most people don't know Jill from Joy and have no interest in distinguishing between them. The Duggars have an inflated view of their own fame and importance.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And is one missed year worth nearly 15 million in damages? No. In Touch nor the city are responsible for internet sleuths.

• Coconut Flan pinned this topic
9 hours ago, ShepherdontheRock said:

Don't fucking teach your kids cutesy names for their private parts. It's a penis. It's a vagina. It's a scrotum. They aren't dirty words. They're fucking medical terms. You're doing a disservice to them otherwise. 

If you ask any child abuse expert they will tell you this a 1000 times. I heard about a case with a 4 yr old girl that took a long time to come to light because she had been told to call it her cookie. She was telling adults that her uncle touched her cookie and they thought she was being funny/cute. Same with other kids told to call it their "pocket book" or " flower". 

58 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Couldn't InTouch make the argument that the average person doesn't know the exact ages of the Duggar women, so the information isn't necessarily going to automatically out them? The Duggars only have fame as a unit, not as individuals, unlike a family like the Kardashian-Jenners where each member is famous in their own right. Most people don't know Jill from Joy and have no interest in distinguishing between them. The Duggars have an inflated view of their own fame and importance.

Lol, they all do. I just remember Jess Seewald's "I'm a normal girl who's brother happened to marry a celebrity" 

oh honey...

I guess celebrity in the Fundie-gelical world. 

But you're not THAT big of a celebrity if people like my mom and dad had no clue who you were until the scandal, and then promptly afterward went to forgetting who the hell you were. 

6 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Most people don't know Jill from Joy and have no interest in distinguishing between them. The Duggars have an inflated view of their own fame and importance.

That ought to be very possible I would guess - especially if they can collect just a handful of snapshots of the number of times various 'popular' media have either picked up and run with an intouch  piece, or one of their own, with the wrong duggar pictured - especially when it's the girls.

9 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Legally, It doesn't matter if most people couldn't figure it out it matters if people figured it. But along those lines for the intentional torts they have not surprising an "intent element" which means they have to show that in touch knew or should have known the information would out the girls.

It doesn't help when dealing with other three causes of action because they don't require intentonal conduct.

I think this suit would have ALMOST made sense if 1, it had been filed a year ago 2, it was just Joy that brought it (after she turned 18 & didn't need JB & M) She is the only one that was still a minor when the story came out and she was the only one who's age wasn't redacted making it very easy to know one of the sisters.  Jill & Jessa confirmed their own identities and Jessa threw Jinger out there so that isn't the city or InTouchs fault.  I'm sure Boob had all the girls names added for the bigger payout. 

21 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Love the thread title!!

@gustava they're just under 2 weeks. They get 2-3 cc's out of a dropper every 2-3 hours. Two of the 4 are already past the goal of doubling their birthweight and the others should make weight by the end of the day. We also have to help them potty. They're just starting to open their eyes. They're cute but if I wasn't on massive steroids after getting poison oak I'd be exhausted!

OT I know:  BUT kudos to you for the round-the-clock feedings.  As for steroids for poison ivy, I've been there.  Ugh!

8 hours ago, ShepherdontheRock said:

But you're not THAT big of a celebrity if people like my mom and dad had no clue who you were until the scandal, and then promptly afterward went to forgetting who the hell you were. 

Well, yes and no to this. A lot of people at least recognize the name if not the individual people of Duggardom. I follow the news, real news and "celebrity" news as well and I swear in this day and age I could not tell you who 75% of the new celebrities are. If they get the picture in Dailymail showing their ass they are automatically a celebrity. Seems as though they should need to do more to become a celebrity. I tripped once and my dress came up almost over my head, I should be a celebrity.  Shoulda been in my jeans or skort!

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Jill & Jessa confirmed their own identities and Jessa threw Jinger out there so that isn't the city or InTouchs fault.  I'm sure Boob had all the girls names added for the bigger payout. 

I've seen multiple people stating that Jessa outed Jinger in the interview. I don't recall Joy or Jinger being mentioned by name. Is there a specific portion I missed? Or are people referring to the fact that everyone knew (or assumed) Jinger was assaulted, but didn't know she was the laundry room victim until Jessa and Jill stated they were asleep during their own assaults?

The fact that people didn't know which victim was which doesn't matter just that they were victims. I believe that only leaves Jill as possibly, out as people hadn't figured out if it was her or Jana who was the non victim. 

I have to say I wonder why Joshley only went after girls, since a predator chooses their victim(s) according to who is "available" to them, not according to their (the predator's) sexuality, right? Did he even share a room with any of his sisters? 

I've also always wondered if he got molested himself by some adult he knew, because it's common that many predators have themselves been victims once (which of course doesn't make their crime right). Is this a topic that is off limits here on FJ or not? 

We'd really rather not get into was Josh molested without anything substantive to suggest it.  Speculating with names is definitely not allowed.

1 hour ago, Jess said:

The fact that people didn't know which victim was which doesn't matter just that they were victims. I believe that only leaves Jill as possibly, out as people hadn't figured out if it was her or Jana who was the non victim. 

If publishing the police reports that InTouch was able to obtain (and being able to obtain them acted under the assumption they were public records regardless of if the state complied with FOIA) is what's going to get at least InTouch in trouble, they included the portions with interviews from a likely female non-victim studying for her GED at the time of the interviews.  That was what led to the speculation that Jana had not been assaulted.

And so far even in cases of minor rape/sexual assault victims, media outlets have won at the appellate level in civil suits from identified victims if the identification was based on what was public record.  Whle InTouch has wisely kept its mouth shut, if they use those precedents they could avoid their counts, the tort claims.  The holdings have been routinely that the responsibility is on the civil authorities, which in Arkansas forbid victim disclosure unless it's required by law.  Again, going back to the municipality defendants.

I don't think any Federal court will say the Zimmerman order, which I did find online, applied to InTouch.  But the appeals on this are going to cost the city and county a lot of money even if the daughters don't prevail.  The police reports combined with Jill and Jessa admitting they were the sleeping victims made it pretty obvious who was who among the other daughters -- but only because we have the dates of birth of all 19 Duggar children on Wikipedia.  

Which brings us back around to the fact none of Josh's victims had the opportunity to have informed consent before having nearly their entire lives since Josh came back on TV (Michelle was pregnant with Jackson during the original filming of the first documentaries, so from the beginning of 2004-ish on.  Their position sucks.  But while their suffering is undoubtedly real... I don't see the outcome being good.  If nothing else, it'll now be a media circus again, and Josh's affairs were enough to make a lot of the people who supported the family in May of 2005 change their mind and not be nearly as supportive.

Look at this!  Child slaves doing housework and babysitting other children.  Not sure why that boy appears to have a weapon strapped to his side, especially while he's in the house, but I do have to say it creeps me out.  

From the Duggar Family Official FB page:

18620161_1048016951998620_8477279745987869809_n.png

It shows he's a "manly man" even if he's doing dishes.  And because he apparently doesn't know the sheer number of weapons already available in a kitchen.  

Knives, cast iron skillets, mallets, rolling pins.... no one messed with a woman in the kitchen when I was growing up.  Not because she was there barefoot and pregnant like she was supposed to be, but because she had potentially lethal weaponry at her fingertips (plus she might be cooking, and yum...)

Imagine that Jess is there or at the very least the kids are, is she ever not there? I wonder if Joy and Austin will be there as much as Jess and Ben are?  I see they are really prepping Hannie for slave duty helping around the house, and Jenni as well. 

Hannie looks like she is taller than Jackson now, she might give Jill a run for her money as the tallest sister. 

For Joy and Jinger I think it is a bad idea even if they do get money. 

FJ, multiple media outlets and most people rarely refered or alluded to Jinger or Joy as victims even if it was well assumed. Jessa and Jill? Yes, and it's often tied to their name.  The lawsuit changes this. 

Now as long as they are famous, it will be frequently rehashed, sets them up for questions they easily avoided before and mag articles will say... "Joy Duggar Forsyth is pregnant with her 5th child, blah blah blah she was molested by her brother at age 5....blah blah." 

Not. Worth. It. 

Does anyone else remember the "Jinger learns to drive" episode where Michelle went on and on about what a drama queen she was, even as a younger child? 

I feel absolutely sick for her.

If nothing else, I hope this lawsuit crashes and burns because anything that puts distance between her and her family is a good thing. Living in Texas and not having to share ten million lawsuit dollars with the brother who molested you and the parents who enabled it is a good start. 

2 hours ago, moriah said:

Knives, cast iron skillets, mallets, rolling pins.... no one messed with a woman in the kitchen when I was growing up.  Not because she was there barefoot and pregnant like she was supposed to be, but because she had potentially lethal weaponry at her fingertips (plus she might be cooking, and yum...)

The people in your family are strategic thinkers! I had one (stupid AF) boyfriend hit me when I was in the kitchen cooking dinner. He was gobsmacked when the boiling contents of a pot collided with his chest and a heavy skillet made abrupt and rather forceful contact with his forehead. By the time he shook it off, I was on the phone with 911 and had a filet knife clutched in my hand. He took one look at me, peeled himself off the floor and ran.

Maybe QF men are taught they must be armed while in the kitchen for their own safety? :evil-laugh:

Just kinda jumping in here. Been a lurker for a couple of years. Andersons were my "gateway fundies."

Anyway, this lawsuit - what a mess. I can't see how it'll do any of the victims any good.

10 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I've seen multiple people stating that Jessa outed Jinger in the interview. I don't recall Joy or Jinger being mentioned by name. Is there a specific portion I missed?

It was process of elimination. We knew from the reports that someone getting their GED wasn't touched. That was Jana or Jill. When Jill and Jessa went on Faux news and said they were the sleeping victims,  they confirmed that jinger was the laundry room victim just by saying that. (Which in turn makes Jinger's speech at Jessa's rehersal dinner even more depressing)

4 hours ago, moriah said:

It shows he's a "manly man" even if he's doing dishes.  And because he apparently doesn't know the sheer number of weapons already available in a kitchen.  

I'm reminded of the Roald Dahl Tale of the Unexpected .

6 hours ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

18620161_1048016951998620_8477279745987869809_n.png

This picture perfectly encapsulates the Duggars; young girls doing housework with no shoes, a boy possibly condescending to help but wearing a gun lest his fragile masculinity becomes shattered, a toddler wandering around aimlessly and probably unattended, no parents in sight, and an adult photographer who disinterestedly watches the scene unfold rather than do anything.

Jackson always looks young to me. I would guess his age at 9 if I didn't know otherwise. He can drive at 14 in AR? That's scary.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic
  • hoipolloi unpinned this topic

Archived