IGNORED

Racheal, the middle child, misogynist, anti-intellectual, and incredibly racist

NachosFlandersStyle

I bumped into this one after following a link in the comments section of the Boyer blog. Racheal (sic) is a SAHD who appears to be friends with a lot of our usual suspects. She's also a Civil War reenactor who wants to let us know that slavery is totally biblical. This isn't just a jaw-droppingly bigoted post, it's also an incredible SODRT fail. She cites a bunch well-debunked Lost Cause talking points to argue that slaveholders were actually really good people who taught their slaves to read and gave them all sorts of nice things (apparently "that's why we have slave spirituals," as if black folks couldn't come up with their own musical traditions). She cites the Reconstruction policy of "40 acres and a mule," which Southern whites fought tooth and nail, as if it were something Antebellum slaveowners were doing all the time just to be nice. And she posts a picture of a man whose back is covered in scars from brutal whippings and asks us, in all earnestness, "what did this man do that warranted that?" In a later post she complains that she can't bring up these totally legit points without people picking on her for being a Christian. (Yeah, that's why they disagree...)

Of course I shouldn't be surprised by stuff like this. They keep it a little more hush than the misogyny, but their leaders are people who idolize out-and-out white supremacists like R. L Dabney and R.J. Rushdoony. This whole movement is the perfect embodiment of "I'm not racist but.."

"I'm not racist but those people are going to outbreed us."

"I'm not racist but I don't want my kids exposed to the crowd at our local public school, you know what I mean."

"I'm not racist, Planned Parenthood are the real racists!"

"I'm not racist, I'm just honoring my southern heritage!"

Here's an IFB church in Texas that at least admits what's on their minds (this one is really... something else, holy shit): https://www.applebybaptistchurch.com/articles.html

I'm not sure where I'm going with all these damned links except to say that I'm tired of this thing where we tiptoe around ever calling anyone a racist even when presented with overwhelming evidence. I know that not every single conservative Christian is boiling with personal hatred towards people of other races. Obviously. But they ought to mind the company they keep, because this whole movement is absolutely soaked in old-time racism. I wouldn't want to associate myself with institutions or thinkers who come with that kind of unacknowledged baggage, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, in case anyone's reading this and thinking "well, can you really prove that this is going on?" Yes. We have the receipts. See above, and I'm sure the rest of you can link me to more.

Oh, and if you need a palate cleanser, this speech by the mayor of New Orleans is a wonderful example of how we can grapple with our nation's difficult history with grace and moral fortitude. You won't regret reading it.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a beautiful  and moving speech!

And some of the comments afterwards, by their very apologism, justify the removal of the Confederate statues. I wonder how manyof those who wrote them call themselves christian.

Well, this brings us right around to Douglas Wilson and his vile drivel: Southern Slavery as It Was and Black and Tan.

The best deconstruction evisceration of this position is from the wonderful Libby Anne who blogs at Love, Joy, Feminism  on Patheos.   Libby Anne's critical review of all this will shed light on EXACTLY where the commenter referenced in the first post is coming from.  

I wrote yesterday about Doug Wilson’s statement that supporting marriage equality is a worse sin than supporting slavery. In the course of writing this post, I took some time to read some of Wilson’s past work more thoroughly, and I want to take a moment to share with you more of what I learned. In this post I’m going to look at Wilson’s 1996 pamphlet, Southern Slavery As It Was. In another post, I will examine Wilson’s 2005 followup book, Black and Tan. Finally, I will turn to Wilson’s 2013 exchange with Thabiti Anyabwile of the Gospel Coalition. If needed, I may finish with a wrap-up post.

I am writing this series in part to trace the evolution (if any) of Wilson’s thought, and in part to provide interested readers with a collection of links to share with Wilson supporters. Be warned: This series will include some fairly frank defenses of slavery. Wilson isn’t one to mince words. The full post is here

Libby Anne is an amazing blogger and I like drop in at patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/ about once a week.  Her current posts are

• What do atheists do all day?
  • Evangelicals' sexual double blind
  • Lesbian Duplex 121: An open thread

From Libby Anne:  

In case you’re unfamiliar with the backstory of this feature, the lesbian duplex has become a running joke on this blog since two of my posts on Debi’s [Pearl] book, Created To Be His Help Meet. For the backstory, you can take a look at these posts—Simper, Smile, and Giggle and Single Moms Turned Lesbian. The name suits these threads, because if Debi were right, we would all be lesbians living in duplexes!

A lot of white fundegelical Christians have traditionally been what you might call "Klan curious"; that is, they weren't necessarily members, but they supposed the Klan's overall platform and weren't going to publicly criticize the group for engaging in violence against minorities. Bob Jones Sr., namesake of BJU, was a good example of this tendency, as he had no problem taking donations from the Klan and regarded integration as "communist." This is why I have no patience for "silent majority" types, because their very silence gives tacit approval to extralegal violence committed by Klan types. 

I also find it frustrating that a lot of fundegelicals think that the only people who are racist are Klansmen and other "lifestyle racists." Even if we assume that's true for the sake of argument, why then do they protest so much about monuments to men who were documented Klansmen? If they're so bent out of shape about renaming things named after someone like Nathan Bedford Forrest, maybe they aren't as offended by racism as they would have us believe.

Lastly, the invocation of "heritage" is also dumb. Something these neo-Confederates don't want to address is that many of these slaveholding ancestors are held in common with blacks. Given how light-skinned my family is, I know we've got a lot of whites in our family tree and I'm directly related to this guy:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Morton

My family actually owns the cemetery in which he's buried. In the South, especially the rural areas, everyone knows who one's black or white cousins are, but everyone's in denial about it, albeit for different reasons.

She's 25!!  Dang I thought 40 at least.  Middle Kid looks old.  Not to be shallow, but that's not the fresh young pretty face that gets a SAHD married.

35 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

She's 25!!  Dang I thought 40 at least.  Middle Kid looks old.  Not to be shallow, but that's not the fresh young pretty face that gets a SAHD married.

Her younger sister looks old for her age too. Obviously her sister is under 25 but she looks 35. I guess racism ages you?

I read the blog post, as well as the comments that carefully praised her for being "so brave" to say what "everyone is thinking."

What a pile of horseshit.

Those "sermons" from Appleby Baptist are something else. "The absence of Canaanites [read black skinned people] was proof of the presence of God with the Israelites."

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I think a lot of modern-day racists find racism attractive because it soothes a sense of inadequacy. She's a very plain, prematurely aged woman in a subculture in which women are only really given attention for being pretty and producing children. I suspect the "protect lily white womanhood" rhetoric of White Nationalists appeals to her and makes her feel desirable and attractive. 

Her website screams, "I might not be all that successful in anything, but look y'all, I'm white, I'm really, really white!" Her chemical sensitivity and military family posts echo this as well. She is just so special, so so delicate and special. 

(I would normally hesitate to pick apart someone's looks like this, but she's a freaking slavery apologist, so screw her.)

I keep wanting to tell all those Confederate flag wavers, "You LOST! Get over it!" but I suspect they are too irony-challenged to appreciate it.

This is the crux paragraph in the the About Me section of The Adventures of a Middle Child: 

I am a Reformed Presbyterian…and as you will quickly discover, a staunch Southern Patriot (that has a double meaning). Those seemingly unconnected statements are simply a summation of my religious and political views. The Bible is the infallible Word of God and I believe in Constitutional Republicanism. They are connected, for the one is drawn out of the former.

Yup, this will a connect back in some way to Doug Wilson. 

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that her father was career military?  These hateful views are usually shared in a home, especially when we have a SAHD situation, since the patriarch must always be right.  I mean, my ex was in the military (as a man of color) and we saw many subtle acts of racism.  But microaggressions were far more common.  I can't recall ever meeting anyone who straight up said the Civil War was bullshit...but then again, I suppose no one would have said that to me.  

At this point it's just tiring to  realize, yet again, the depth of anger that some groups have, even when they are clearly, demonstrably, measurably privileged.  That ignorant twat may be ugly as sin, but she's not going to be followed in a store to "prevent loss," targeted by the police for driving while of color, get passed over for jobs (if she had to work, another sign of her tremendous privilege), denied homes in some areas, have her voting area "redistricted" to keep her voice from counting, suffer from generational poverty because her ancestors were denied access to education and good jobs, be told that her hair or her body is "too much" and in need of Anglicizing, or have to teach any kids she may one day have to act in very particular ways around badges or certain groups of people.  

She's just another Abigail Fisher, convinced of her own superiority when there are absolutely no facts to substantiate such an outrageous claim. 

ETA: Normally I try to avoid gendered insults, but I also saw that video today of that white woman yelling on a phone in public, then harassing a Latino man and trying to get him to fight her husband.  I just cannot with these white bitches today. Just. Cannot.

I dipped into her blog and my reaction is disgust, revulsion, horror and embarrassment for her so proudly displayed ignorance, racism, willful blindness to facts, and smug belief in her own superiority. The adoring fan comments are as bad. I am appalled by her blog.  She is the poster child for how really, really, really badly the SODRT can fail.  

I cannot figure out where this woman lives, She says she proclaims up front when meeting people that she is a southerner.  Then she regales us with a post about participating in the Turkeyville Civil War reenactment, which takes place in Michigan, and seemed a short drive for her and her sister.

She seems to live on a small farm that appears to be fairly rustic/ primitive -- whether by design or financial constraints.  In March she described her day (in part) (Italics mine):  " . . .  in between times I kept the fire burning, hauled wood, made as many water runs to the basement as necessary (we are looking forward to having the RO water run back upstairs one of these days)."  So no central heat and running water only in the basement.

She's sort of a blogging train wreck -- horrific but you can't look away.

56 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Her website screams, "I might not be all that successful in anything, but look y'all, I'm white, I'm really, really white!" Her chemical sensitivity and military family posts echo this as well. She is just so special, so so delicate and special. 

That type of thing is actually more widespread, and has broader implications than you might think. Lots of politicians take advantage of it too; it's why things like the welfare queen myth get so much traction. 

This article is long, but interesting. If you drive a wedge between people for long enough, they won't even recognize the hypocrisy of taking advantage of social welfare programs, while deriding minority families for doing the same thing. http://www.stirjournal.com/2016/04/01/i-know-why-poor-whites-chant-trump-trump-trump/

Public assistance programs are easy targets for politicians, thanks in part to the racial divide introduced by slave owners in colonial America. Politicians, the corporate media, and giant employers (like Tyson) have continued to drive socioeconomic wedges between poor whites and poor minorities. Working class whites may view economic struggles as temporary setbacks, and see their use of social services as a last resort. But politicians keep implying that for minorities, public assistance is a way of life.

Though the descendants of Canaan are black folks

That church is crazy. Where's the proof of this?

Science recognizes three classes as Mongoloid – Jew, Caucasian – Gentiles and Negroid – Ham.  All other races come from crossbreeding between these three, as well as a mixture of crossbreeds among themselves

Science doesn't say any of this, wtf dude 

In Deuteronomy 20, Israel is commanded to destroy the sons of Canaan.  “But thou shalt utterly destroy them. Namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee.”  Deuteronomy 20:17.

These are black folks whether you like it or not.  Black folks inhabited the land of Canaan and built cities that would later be taken by Israel.  God commands Israel to “drive them out.”  Why?  The Canaanite is in the wrong boundary.  In fact, the proof of the presence of God among the Israelites was the absence of the black skinned folk of Canaan.

What on this green Earth is he blabbering on about? It says none of this. Egyptians aren't all black anyway and actually vary from tan to black in skin tone. Also, crossbreeding? If it was a joking manner, I get it, but he is totally serious here and is saying this like anyone having children with someone who doesn't like just like them is crossbreeding. It's not crossbreeding if you are the same species. Humans are all similar, not different. The tone of your skin is due to your ancestors location relative to the equator. In other words, the hotter the climate, the darker the skin, the colder the climate, the lighter the skin. DNA shows we are all far more alike than different. 

It is obvious God is a separator, not a mixer.  It is God who set the boundaries that men might “seek the Lord...” Acts 17:26‐27.  Satan uses the one world movement to eliminate differences that God has given.  That is why the Charismatic movement is popular in the world, it eliminates differences in doctrine.  Satan wants to eliminate differences in sexes, thus unisex hairdo and apparel for men and women.

Satan wants to eliminate color by interracial marriages.  Someone will ask why do we have to see color when we look at one another?  Why can’t we just see each other as people?   The same reason you see a Poodle, German Shepherd, Beagle, etc.  God made us different and set the bounds.  You don’t get thoroughbreds by taking the fences down.  You get thoroughbreds by putting the fences up.

Humans created dog breeds over hundreds of years. Also we breed them with other breeds to create new breeds all the time. Poodles, Beagles, German Shepherds, they were all created through crossbreeding in the first place. When people use this argument, it falls so place. I, myself, am not a thoroughbred and I bet this dude isn't either. Looking white doesn't mean you are 100% white. 

Those who have been brainwashed by the media and talk show hosts say, “love is color blind.”  Wrong!  Lust is color blind. God is not color blind and real love comes from God.  Real love is not grieved at the commandments of God.  “For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.”  I John 5:3. Those who remove the boundaries are frowned upon by the Lord.  “The princes of Judah were like them that remove the boundaries therefore I will pour out my wrath upon them like water.” Hosea 5:10. When God mentions a person they are usually mentioned by their father’s name and nationality.

Maybe because they didn't have surnames? It was an easy way to identify someone before surnames were a thing, you'd mention their location. Hence Jesus of Nazareth. It doesn't have to do with some location pride or thoroughbred thing. 

Notice what God said about these seven black nations.  “And when the Lord thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them: Neither shalt thou make marriages with them: thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son.”  Deuteronomy 7:2‐3.

Again, he's assuming, evidence lacking. 

As someone in what many would call in an "interracial relationship", I hate this bs and am just sick of it, but I guess it's okay because he's not "black". This dude says nothing about Asians and whites marrying, so guess it's approved? Haha. 

https://www.applebybaptistchurch.com/Articles/B.P.& Nigger Js..pdf This is crazy and apologies for the N word here, this dude's crazy. 

In case you were curious about her views on the Emancipation Proclamation:

I was reading along and around page 198, Belle and her papa are reading a newspaper account of Lincoln's "Emancipation Proclamation" (which, y'all really, if you read the wording is absolute poppycock since he had no jurisdiction over the areas in which he declared slaves "free"). 

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

I keep wanting to tell all those Confederate flag wavers, "You LOST! Get over it!" but I suspect they are too irony-challenged to appreciate it.

Not only that, but that's NOT the Confederate flag and never was.  That flag is based on the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.  A very similar flag was used by the Army of Tennessee, and the Confederate Navy Jack from 1863 on wards was also similar.  The Confederacy had A LOT of flags.  

Though towards the end of the war, they were all using this one, so it probably would be a better choice:

Spoiler

59246e46708cf_2017-05-2310_14_47-surrenderflag-GoogleSearch.png.4d02c479c91a78b7b0818b1d7b58b3ad.png

Jokes aside, here are the three official Confederate Flags, in the order in which they were used:

Spoiler

59246ea32a5ed_2017-05-2310_16_10-USFlag.org_AwebsitededicatedtotheFlagoftheUnitedStatesofAmerica-Co.png.35f07380ab027ed9632c0af18d35bf3a.png59246eaa46bc6_2017-05-2310_16_29-USFlag.org_AwebsitededicatedtotheFlagoftheUnitedStatesofAmerica-Co.png.f1ae5855d525ed45e88f60e5660b9054.png59246eb31e3ef_2017-05-2310_16_47-USFlag.org_AwebsitededicatedtotheFlagoftheUnitedStatesofAmerica-Co.png.9a24fa96ff8e7c18dd8895238211f6da.png

@dairyfreelife, the so-called Curse of Canaan/Ham was often invoked to justify  enslaving and later disenfranchising people of African descent. It comes from the book of Genesis, when one of Noah's sons, Ham, is cursed (along with his descendants) for mocking his father when he passed naked after drinking too much. The descendants of Ham are said to be dark-skinned people, hence it's okay for the descendants of Noah's other sons to oppress them. The Curse of Ham has been deemphasized post Civil Rights, but never really went away completely. The odd thing about this obsession with banning interracial unions and/or sex, is that it never worked very well; all one has to do is look at the wide range of skin colors found among supposedly "black people" to see that a lot of racial mixing has been happening in American history.

3 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

@dairyfreelife, the so-called Curse of Canaan/Ham was often invoked to justify  enslaving and later disenfranchising people of African descent. It comes from the book of Genesis, when one of Noah's sons, Ham, is cursed (along with his descendants) for mocking his father when he passed naked after drinking too much. The descendants of Ham are said to be dark-skinned people, hence it's okay for the descendants of Noah's other sons to oppress them. The Curse of Ham has been deemphasized post Civil Rights, but never really went away completely. The odd thing about this obsession with banning interracial unions and/or sex, is that it never worked very well; all one has to do is look at the wide range of skin colors found among supposedly "black people" to see that a lot of racial mixing has been happening in American history.

Yes, it is often invoked. There's just not any real evidence of that or that it means everyone "black" should avoid marrying with anyone "white". Jews aren't considered "white" by some other "white" people. Many white supremacists consider Jews on the level or even worse than "black" people. The Bible's condoning of slavery were used to prove slavery was okay in the US. Stopping interracial unions has never worked anywhere in the world. Those whining about interracial relationships probable are mixed in their own ancestry and don't even know it.  

This is actually the second time we've discussed White Nationalist vintage bloggers who are tangentially connected to the Boyer Sisters. Gabe assured us that he "doesn't see race", and if the Boyer girls share this conviction, I think they really ought to be more critical of the white supremacy in the vintage fashion community.

42 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

This is actually the second time we've discussed White Nationalist vintage bloggers who are tangentially connected to the Boyer Sisters. Gabe assured us that he "doesn't see race", and if the Boyer girls share this conviction, I think they really ought to be more critical of the white supremacy in the vintage fashion community.

Yikes, I knew that the Civil War reenactment community was rife with these folks but I thought 20th-century vintage fashion would be more harmless. I guess for some it's not about textiles and cuts but being "old-fashioned" and recreating an era when strict hierarchies based on race and gender were widely enforced. At least Modest Fashion Network seems to have removed their post with Ayla, but based on her other online appearances, there's NO WAY that they didn't know exactly what she was when they featured her in the first place.

5 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I also find it frustrating that a lot of fundegelicals think that the only people who are racist are Klansmen and other "lifestyle racists."

So true and not just for fundies. Plenty of people will throw around terms like the n word and other derogatory views in private who would never express those same views in public. They'll continue inserting their views into the way they treat others and maybe get away with more because of it being quieter and harder to call them out for (vs. someone who openly talks about being a member of a racist org).

47 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

This is actually the second time we've discussed White Nationalist vintage bloggers who are tangentially connected to the Boyer Sisters.

"White Nationalist vintage bloggers" seems like it should be in one of the example sentences for the dictionary definition of "niche." And a few other select words.;) 

4 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Carrying around all that hate, ignorance and racism can be terribly aging.  I would imagine that it brings on a whole lot of stress with the constant worrying about why we aren't just enslaving "those people" anymore, and worrying about "those people" outbreeding white people.  

1 hour ago, dairyfreelife said:

Jews aren't considered "white" by some other "white" people. Many white supremacists consider Jews on the level or even worse than "black" people. The Bible's condoning of slavery were used to prove slavery was okay in the US. 

The American definition of who is white and who isn't has also changed numerous times over the years.  There was a Supreme Court case in the 20s (US v. Thind) where an Indian man tried to argue that he should be included in the description of white (at the time only "whites" were eligible to immigrate to the US).  He argued that the anthropological belief that Caucasians were people of the Caucuses region and speakers of Indo-Aryan languages meant that he, as a High-Caste Hindu should be included under that definition.  He lost.  

At the time of the Gadsden Purchase, Mexico got the US to agree that Mexicans living in the area were white, in order to prevent them from being deported due to being non-white.  My great great grandmother was born in Mexico, moved to Arizona with her parents as a child, and married my great great grandfather who was a Ukrainian Jew.  If you saw pictures of my relatives, you'd realize that they aren't what we would consider to be white.  However, on the censuses from 1880 onward, they're all listed as white.  Italians, southern European immigrants, and even the Irish have all been considered non-white at certain points in US history.  

My very-long winded point is that if this idiot knew about the arbitrary and political use of the term "white", her head would explode. 

Archived