IGNORED

The Keepers

HarleyQuinn

I just started watching this documentary series on Netflix. It's about the unsolved murder of a nun, and it reveals a cover up and sexual abuse within the Catholic church.

Anyone else watching?

I binge-watched the first 4 episodes last night and finished it today.

I found it absolutely gripping and extremely well-done.  The covering up was not a surprise at all, sadly.  The Archdiocese of Baltimore can go fuck themselves - how many lives did they ruin?  UGH.  

As for the abuser, Fr. Maskell - I'll tell you this.  I trust my gut (especially since I am a rape and molestation survivor).  The second his picture came on the screen for the first time, my gut impulse was to get up and move, fast.  That was an EVIL SONOFABITCH.

ETA: I wanted to strangle the people who testified against extending the statute of limitations through the damn screen.  Hey experts, guess what?  When you are violently raped as a teen, you dissociate and block that shit BECAUSE YOUR BODY IS TRYING TO SURVIVE.  :kitty-cussing:

I started watching this yesterday. I enjoyed the first episode focusing on the nun's story and was looking forward to the rest of it. But the second and third episodes I watched tonight were difficult to watch, as Jane Doe and the other ladies were telling of their experiences. Some really shocking and disturbing stuff. And I have seen many seen many documentaries and films about abuse in the Church, whether Magdalene laundries or sex scandals, and thought nothing would surprise or shock me anymore. 

I found it deeply triggering, and found my mind straying and wandering throughout, I kept having to rewind as I was missing bits when deep in thought. And I had to pause it once or twice to take time out for a bit before continuing. I might give it a proper break for a few days before continuing it. ( I was starting this on the back of just watching a three parter on tv about teenagers in sex grooming scandal, and also been reading up on fb group about the mystery of a missing child case /paedophile ring that is local to me, so I am way too ragey and sad at the world right now).

Harrowing stuff. I have just started to watch it tonight. Only up to episode 3.

I remember seeing something come up in my f/book feed the other day (somebody might have liked it or something).  Just did a quick google and found the article, now I have no idea how reputable this paper is (I am in Australia not the USA).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2017/05/17/exhumed-priests-dna-doesnt-match-evidence-in-case-of-sister-cathy-slaying-from-1969/?utm_term=.da3fd514b95c

Even if he physically didn't kill Sister Cathy he was certainly involved to some degree if Jean (Jane Doe)  is to be believed. I can't imagine why she would be lying though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maskell definitely  had a hand in it, but I doubt he killed Cathy himself. He seems like the type that would've ordered others to do it.

Koob makes me wonder. I think both that vagina story and the typed letter "from Cathy" are complete bullshit. I think he knows just as much as Sister Russell and isn't saying anything. 

• 5 weeks later...

I have been hearing about this and finally watched the first two episodes. Lots to think about. Extremely hard to hear the details of jean's abuse. I wanted to skip it but didn't because she deserves to be heard, and she did not get to skip it. Maskell was certainly well connected and had enough dirt on people to get someone to murder Cathy. 

I was very moved by these women who are seeking justice after all these years for their beloved teacher.

I still need to process this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2017 at 8:28 PM, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

....found my mind straying and wandering throughout, I kept having to rewind as I was missing bits when deep in thought. And I had to pause it once or twice to take time out for a bit before continuing. I might give it a proper break for a few days before continuing it. ..

Same - my mind wandered a lot. I'm going to have to go rewatch it. Very well done documentary

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished watching the entire documentary.

I think Maskell probably was a bad guy and probably did abuse kids and teenagers, but my hunch would be that he had nothing to do with Cathy's disappearance and death; that her motivation for leaving to teach at the public school was to test the waters of living in the real world and make it easier for her to decide whether or not she wanted to continue being a nun; and that she may not have even known about any abuse being perpetrated by Maskell.

I think that by far the most likely scenario is that Cathy was the victim of a crime of opportunity. Out of all the possible suspects presented in the documentary, the only one who really fits that profile for me is Edgar Davidson. But it's practically impossible to say with any confidence, because the documentary is edited and skewed to fit its creators' narrative. That isn't a criticism of the documentary, which I thought was fantastic - it's just the reality of the situation.

Incredibly frustrating that this case (and the other young woman's) hasn't been solved. I hope they can get somewhere with it. 

• 9 months later...

I just binge watched the whole documentary last weekend. It was disturbing but I couldn't look away either. It was difficult to hear the ladies describe the abuse. I do totally believe them. As far as the connection between the abusive Maskell and the murder of Sr. Cathy, who knows? I do hope there is a follow up some day if more info arises. (My first post on FJ, broke the ice, yay)!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I was hoping there would be more updates from this case after the doc aired but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

Archived