IGNORED

27 Dresses - I Mean Duggar Threads (Now, with Duggar women lawsuit discussion!)

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

I just saw a story on CBS news about how Jill, Jessa, Jinger and Joy are suing the city of Springdale and Washington County for breach of privacy. Also InTouch weekly. Commenters are saying it's a last ditch effort to get some money since the show is tanking. Wonder if all that's true?

They are certainly suing them, I think it's to soothe Jim Bob's ego. 

I remember they mentioned right after the revelation of the abuse they were going to sue. Is it bad my first thought was typical Trump supporter; blaming the leak of information and telling you it's the worse crime not the actual thing the said leak reveals.

27 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

The protection of their privacy should not have been the responsibility of the law in the first place, but as a last resort, it would in my opinion be morally better if there was no legal space to release a document which was not sufficiently redacted to make identification impossible.

If it was possible for an individual officer to redact more than legally required to better protect the victims I don't know. If would have been great if it was, and they would have done it.

I have to disagree with you.  They were minor children and the law should absolutely have a responsibility to protect their privacy.  If  not, the names of any other victims - even those who are not publically known, would also be easily available to the public.  

I do agree however, that if the documents are written in such a way that it would be easy to identify the minor victims of a crime, then that document should not be released to the public at all, regardless of the FOIA.

Jim Bob and Michelle may have responsibility for what happened initially, and certainly do for how they handled the situation, but Jill, Jessa, Jinger and Joy absolutely should have expected that they would not be exposed as the victims in this case, and if the law of Arkansas does not support that, then it should be changed so that it does.

People need to take the fact that these woman are Duggars out of the equation, and think of what their reaction would be should this be happening to a four average women who were abused by a family member.

Well girls, it's too bad your parents didn't handle the situation properly and send Josh to actual jail/rehab. Then those documents would've been sealed.  Perhaps you should sue them.

Do they even have a case here? Those documents were redacted. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they weren't named in the police report.  I thought the report only contained the ages.  I'm not victim-blaming here, but I really don't think the state was out of line or did anything wrong.  Police reports are public knowledge, the usual precautions and protections were put in place (redacting names of minors), and because of FOIA, those records can be obtained with the usual redactions.  

I'm very sorry for the victims here, and I'm very angry that JB did NOTHING to protect them from their abuser.  To me, this reads as one big temper tantrum on the part of the Duggar family.  This awful event caused them to lose their cash cow, their reality show.  They may possibly be looking for retribution from the state (if this turns out to be true); but really, these victims are misplacing their anger.  They should be confronting JB and Moochelle over why they did nothing.  They should be confronting the fact that they never got help for Josh.  They should be confronting the parents over the fact that they subscribe to a belief that allows victim-blaming to thrive in their house.  

I honestly hope the state does not lose any lawsuit or court action over this, should such a charge be made against them. 

And I do think Intouch was sleazy for doing this, but at the end of the day, the fault lies entirely with JB, Michelle and Josh.  

They weren't named. I think the only part of this they're latching on to was the part of the document that said some of the victims lived with Michelle and Jim Bob. But I don't know if that needed to be redacted?

Ultimately, they should be suing their parents as this is entirely their fault, IMO. They didn't protect them then, and that's why these documents aren't sealed. 

This isn't related to the current discussion, but I was just watching that new sitcom Great News and they had a joke about Josh: "It's 2017, the only people that don't want fame and attention are molesters... and not even. Josh Duggar and Jared Fogle have that new reality show Property Pervs."

I looked through the reports when they were released. The person redacting would have had to redact pretty much everything in order to keep people from guessing. The redacted list of siblings alone was enough to let you guess some of the victims were Josh's sisters. The reports were not sealed and were legally available to the public.

I have sympathy for the victims. I truly do and I wish they had been allowed to reveal this on their terms if they had wanted to at all. However, it does not appear that InTouch or police did anything legally wrong.

I'm trying to think how to best word this next part... I can't figure out how to respectfully word it, so I'm going to just end here. Maybe I'll figure it out later.

Heres another article on Huff Post:

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_591ee20be4b094cdba535002/amp

@Hmmm_idolatryAs far as I remember, names and ages were redacted. We guessed that Jana was not assaulted due to one interview with a non-victim stating they were pursuing a GED, combined with Jill stepping forward.

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

They weren't named. I think the only part of this they're latching on to was the part of the document that said some of the victims lived with Michelle and Jim Bob. But I don't know if that needed to be redacted?

Ultimately, they should be suing their parents as this is entirely their fault, IMO. They didn't protect them then, and that's why these documents aren't sealed. 

I don't think the mention of the victims living with JB and M requires redacting.  If they weren't famous, nobody would have had enough info to match the ages with the children, but JB seems to conveniently forget that.  

I honestly don't think the state did anything wrong.  The usual protections were applied to these reports, and because of FOIA, anybody could obtain them.  FOIA hasn't been tested in the Supreme Court over its constitutionality (I think), so good luck to them in issuing a challenge. 

This is just typical JB narcissistic blame shifting, IMO.  He needs to take a long hard look at himself.  He created this situation, not the state. 

Obviously, they didn't need to be named for it to be easily apparent who they were as that was all over the internet in minutes after the information came to light.  Their names were redacted but they STILL needed to go on television for the forgiveness tour, so redacted was fairly irrelevant in this case.

I think people REALLY need to step back from their dislike of the Duggars over all, and think of what their reaction would be should this be any other people.

I feel like a bit of an asshole but I find it hard to sympathize considering they have disgusting beliefs like their parents do. I don't feel the state was in the wrong either, JB and M were. (And Joshley, obviously)

2 minutes ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I don't think the mention of the victims living with JB and M requires redacting.

But I thought the point was that they had to remove any information IDENTIFYING the victims, meaning to keep in the fact that they live in the house is most definitely identifying them. They should have removed that line too.

Just now, snickers34 said:

But I thought the point was that they had to remove any information IDENTIFYING the victims, meaning to keep in the fact that they live in the house is most definitely identifying them. They should have removed that line too.

Honestly I haven't read the documents in a while, so I could be misremembering if they said they lived there too. I need to re-read.

Ok, the admins sat down and had a very tough conversation this morning about how to handle this and the decision was that by signing on to this lawsuit, Joy and Jinger have officially outed themselves as the third and fourth victim, so this can now be a topic of conversation related to them. 

I would hope that FJ members can remember that these are real women who have been traumatised, and treat them accordingly in their discussion of these issues. 

The identity of the fifth victim is still off limits, as she has not chosen to come forward.

Just now, HarleyQuinn said:

Honestly I haven't read the documents in a while, so I could be misremembering if they said they lived there too. I need to re-read.

That is my strong recollection, that the fact that they did not black out the part about them living in the house is literally what gave it away to anyone that read the reports.

Just now, snickers34 said:

I think information regarding where the crimes occurred cannot be redacted (but I'm not an attorney, so I don't know for sure).  Even if the residence of the victims was omitted, I still think anybody reading the report would have put two and two together and realized who it was once they saw the location of the crimes.  That doesn't excuse it, but that's what I could see happening.  

1 minute ago, SamiKatz said:

I think people REALLY need to step back from their dislike of the Duggars over all, and think of what their reaction would be should this be any other people.

I feel bad for the victims but I also think that they need to take a good look at who they are blaming. Were the re-victimized by this coming to light? Quite possibly. Were they actually given counselling for what happened in the first place? I doubt it. I think that they need to look back on the situation and realize that it wasn't the police who failed them, it was their parents. 

JB and Michelle were too busy hushing all of this up to even think about the girls. They continued to put Josh up above the others as the sainted golden child, knowing what he had done. They need to look at their parents, their parents failed them in ways that the FOIA never would. They didn't keep the safe. 

Does it suck that it came out? Sure, it does. I feel bad for them but they really need to look and see who truly needs to be blamed in this situation. 

A. Josh

B. JB and Michelle 

C. The Police

D. Media

The Duggar daughters are the Rachel Dolezal of reality TV families. Dolezal wanted to identify as black while still having access to the perks of white privlege, and the Duggar sisters want all of the money and attention that comes with being famous without losing their privacy. Ladies, I am afraid that's not how this game works :naughty:

Plus by their logic, they forgave Josh, why can't they forgive the city of Springdale?

Oh wait, because they can possibly make money off of them.

In this end this clusterfuck is no ones fault but JB's, he wanted God's blessings fame and money plain and simple and he sold his soul & his kids out for a couple million bucks. He gets to be in control of a bunch of people, he never has to do a days work, he gets free vacation, all the sex he wants  AND everyone around him obediently and "joyfully" does his bidding.  He much like our BLOTUS with the twittertantrums is pissed he lost his free ride and will do an or say anything to keep it up he will throw his kid that kid that other kid and who the hell ever that one is over there under the bus on the bus and through the bus.  As awful as all the IBLP/ATI families are JB has a special brand of asshole creepydum too him, he's a cult leader wanna be but he was too lazy to get recruits so he just made them.  JB is many things, but in a hurry isn't one of them, just watch the Duggar time. 

I went to school for journalism and was a part of the SPJ for years. I took an extensive course for FOIA laws in my state which can vary from others. I wish I could highlight key points in the law that basically shows the duggar's may have a case. (I am on my cell phone). But mainly, the beginning stating their parents names and anywhere it said sister should've been redacted. Underage victims are protected under most state laws and I study very little on the federal level.

With that being said, I do partially believe they are suing for other victims. Yes they can be pretentious money hungry people but I do believe their Christian martyrdom obsession is the main reason this is going through. I'm sure on their show they will discuss how "after extensive prayer, forgiveness, and much thought, we feel the lord has put us through these trying times so that we can help others. We give all the glory to god, and we feel it is his will to direct us to protect others." 

My entire life being a Jehovah witness we were told so many stories of the persecuted people in the Bible and real life went through and it is basically glorified. Read the book of Job. Every time after hard times are finished we were taught to think, why would god put me through this? What can I learn? How can I be a better Christian and glorify his name? I'm talking about after abuse, disease, and real tragedy. These people love self sacrificial bull shit. I'm sure jim bob wants money and vengeance but has put it in their hearts that god had to expose josh for being unfaithful (only that) and self righteous, and used them as a way to help others.  

3 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Plus by their logic, they forgave Josh, why can't they forgive the city of Springdale?

Oh wait, because they can possibly make money off of them.

This is absolutely what I think is driving this (if it turns out to be true).  JB is looking for a buck or two since his show was taken away, IMO.  

2 minutes ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

This is absolutely what I think is driving this (if it turns out to be true).  JB is looking for a buck or two since his show was taken away, IMO.  

Ugh, seriously. Why dwell on the one thing that makes you look like lousy parents to the broader public? Their show is hanging on by a thread, and this bad press doesn't seem like it will help. Money's the only thing he's got left to grab for.

@infooverload @HarleyQuinn @TeamDefraudinSquad I really love all three of you!

I don't really understand how they can do this, after they sold all the magazine stories, appeared on Megyn Kelly etc etc

I also wonder if doing this now adds credence to the idea Joy's wedding is this weekend/very soon, as they'll all be safely married by the time the court case comes?

ETA I am scratching my head about the whole "we wanted this hushed up so we're bringing a court case"...  I completely understand why victims want anonymity, but this feels like an excuse to go after a payout to me (if I were really cynical, to get interest in them before the new series). 

But it also will be especially interesting if TLC really is trying to get Josh back into the show, because TBH if I were TLC, I'd be looking to never have any reference to the fact that Josh is a sibling-molesting arsehole mentioned ever again, and to me, this court case is just reminding me of the awfulness of the Duggars all over again.

• Destiny changed the title to 27 Dresses - I Mean Duggar Threads (Now, with Duggar women lawsuit discussion!)
  • choralcrusader8613 pinned this topic
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived