IGNORED

27 Dresses - I Mean Duggar Threads (Now, with Duggar women lawsuit discussion!)

choralcrusader8613

40 minutes ago, Jess said:

lawyers are people and they could have delayed filing to the last minute because of their only lazyiness. 

Oy. If my lawyer treated my case like a freshman college student who routinely submits papers 10 minutes before they are due I'd be pissed. They're likely paying a lot of money to this law firm and generally lawyers get things done ASAP since they know their reputation is on the line.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ChickenbuttHere are links to important moments of their interview:

http://www.salon.com/2015/06/06/7_most_crucial_exchanges_from_megyn_kellys_fox_news_interview_with_the_duggar_sisters/

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/jessa-and-jill-duggars-interview-with-megyn-kelly-9-revelations-201556

http://m.eonline.com/news/663667/jessa-and-jill-duggar-speak-out-as-molestation-victims-and-defend-their-brother-josh-got-a-little-too-curious-about-girls

Jessa is the one who claimed it was mild, inappropriate touching and that they found accusations of Josh being a child molester and rapist ridiculous. Jill was the one with the 2/3 of families statistic and that she hoped to put similar protections in place for her family. They both downplayed the severity of what happened and stated the media coverage was far worse. And I believe both women and their parents stated that some of the victims were sleeping. 

I don't know if she just forgot what happened with time or if she purposely did this, but Jessa flat out lied. She stated none of the victims knew what had happened until they were informed by their parents - yet the police reports make it blatantly clear that some of the victims (namely, Jinger and Joy) were awake and aware of what happened. The assault during storytime, which we believe was Joy's assault, specifically mentions someone running out of the room and someone calling their parents at a restaurant immediately after it happened. And the victim statement about the laundry assault, likely Jinger's, made it clear that the victim was not only aware of what happened, but that she was traumatized enough to cry when simply asked about it.

Jill and Jessa both made it clear they were asleep and their parents had to tell them what happened later. I don't remember Jessa outing Jinger, but it's possible she did so unintentionally. We were unsure whether Jill or Jana were the Fourth sister at first because the non-victim statement could have fit either of them. 

One thing I don't doubt is that their emotional reactions during the interview were genuine. I honestly feel that they were both horrified, humiliated, and upset that such a horrendous experience was being made so public. I think Jessa's anger was real and Jill's tears were too.

In terms of the timing, I do have a bit of sadness for Jill. The abuse was initially exposed when she was freshly PP with NB Izzy and now when she's due again, the lawsuit. Of all the people who do not need this, @ this time, it's Jill. Horrible timing for Jill.

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

In terms of the timing, I do have a bit of sadness for Jill. The abuse was initially exposed when she was freshly PP with NB Izzy and now when she's due again, the lawsuit. Of all the people who do not need this, @ this time, it's Jill. Horrible timing for Jill.

I agree. Yeah, she had to agree to file the lawsuit now... but still. It can't be easy dredging up all these memories and emotions now. Even if she honestly doesn't remember her assault, she still remembers the pain and anger she felt immediately after being informed, as well as the emotions she had after the news broke.

And I hope she's taking care of herself right now. Stress can be terrible during pregnancy. I had the worst stress and fear a month before my daughter was born because of the election. I had a lot of trouble enjoying those last few weeks of my pregnancy because of that and I honestly wonder sometimes if that stress contributed to her prematurity. Regardless of what I think about these women, Jill's son is innocent and I sincerely hope the rest of her pregnancy goes smoothly.

50 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Oy. If my lawyer treated my case like a freshman college student who routinely submits papers 10 minutes before they are due I'd be pissed. They're likely paying a lot of money to this law firm and generally lawyers get things done ASAP since they know their reputation is on the line.

A case like this is almost always on contingency which means they paying the lawyers 0 dollars and if it wins the lawyer gets 1/3.

The 2/3 of families thing made me so mad. I couldn't believe Megyn Kelly didn't call her out on something so blatantly false.

After reading so much about molestation and sexual assault in the fundy community, I would not be surprised if the 2/3 of families statistic was not far off, unfortunately.

Jill and her "statistics" at 24:35. I forgot how many buzzwords were used, especially by Jessa. 

Wow, just that video cover is a thing in itself. Do we know, did anyone ever assess the video a la Princess Di's big interview? That would be morbidly interesting.

My feeling after listening to the entire Megyn Kelly interview is that the Duggars have been pushing for an out of court settlement from the county and USWeekly.  The county is not going to pay a dime unless ordered by the court.  USWeekly really has no liability.  The magazine submitted a FOIA request.  The county responded.  They printed the response.  

When Jill and Jessa allowed the interview to take place and outed themselves along with Jinger they outed the group. This will weeken their argument the county outed them.   

Despite the girl's allegations that their parents did a superb job handling the situation  I strongly disagree.  Between the parents overtly sexually behavior, the lack of treatment for Josh, and the failure to find real treatment for their kids, this entire situation is one giant fail.  

I don't know if anyone of you remember this from the original Duggar specials the family had a camper and was trying to pull a trailer behind it.  The motor of the RV could not handle the weight so they ended up pulling the trailer with a minivan.  I thought it was odd that Josh was driving the minivan by himself given that he was barely 16 years old.  I was surprised one of the older boys or Michele did not jump in with him.  

Given all we now know it makes sense.  JimBob & Michele probably welcomed the opportunity to isolate him from the rest of the family.

The girls have a long road ahead of them.  This situation will probably drag on for years.  It will be interesting to see how the girls survive being deposed.  A Megyn Kelly interview is a day in a park compared to being deposed by attorneys whose goal is to tear you apart.  

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I don't know if she just forgot what happened with time or if she purposely did this, but Jessa flat out lied. She stated none of the victims knew what had happened until they were informed by their parents - yet the police reports make it blatantly clear that some of the victims (namely, Jinger and Joy) were awake and aware of what happened. The assault during storytime, which we believe was Joy's assault, specifically mentions someone running out of the room and someone calling their parents at a restaurant immediately after it happened. And the victim statement about the laundry assault, likely Jinger's, made it clear that the victim was not only aware of what happened, but that she was traumatized enough to cry when simply asked about it.

the thought just hit me - between the reports, Megyn Kelly interview, and this current suit, we know Jinger was the "laundry room victim". Wasn't overseeing laundry Jinger's jurisdiction most of the time all the daughters were still in the home? so not only was she molested in the laundry room, to the extent that she cried whenever asked about it, and she just seems to be an emotional person in general....she was made to hang out in the laundry room for the next several years, including doing her molester's laundry, and helping her sisters cater to him? geez....

and on top of Jessa's lying and Jill's fake statistics, there's Michelle's BS statement that the girls were young, they didn't even know really what Josh's actions meant, how inappropriate it was.....infantilizing her daughers yet again, when the reports show that Joy and Jinger wanted to tell mommy and daddy right away.

ugh.

Okay so Jinger not Joy was the laundry room victim. All very sad. JBoob and Meechelle are horrible people. 

I lol'd when Jessa said "accredited" counseling. I doubt she had ever used that word before in her life until she was fed it. Jill's BS statsitic still makes me mad. The minimizing is insane and I hope In touch's lawyers bring this interview up.

That's why I post that interview every six months or so. I can't even watch the Boobchelle one ever again. Mechelle had a sheaf of notes on her lap (as did Jill), and Boob was constantly looking at this phone, which should not be in sight in that kind of interview. Poorly prepped; at least Jessa remembered most of her script without crutches. 

Boobchelle? Disgusting liars who lie. 

Not that WE forget, but all that these idiots have done is have reminded us of how demented and horrible these people are...JB/M

The Duggar women's attorney should prepare them to be shown no mercy on the witness stand. Nor should they expect any. It's not like they are children facing their accuser in criminal court. These women are in court because they chose to be! If you cannot stand the heat, get out of the proverbial kitchen! They should have no illusions that they will be handled with kid gloves, the defendant's lawyers aren't being paid to do so. Sorry, this is life in the real world, not the Duggar bubble. 

There is a disconnect between claiming that In Touch and their former town somehow victimized them, then going on tee vee and freely stating you were abused, then filing a suit years later, reopening the entire thing! They should have considered the potential emotional cost of bringing this suit, but I bet dollars to donuts they are looking for a painless settlement. Straight money grab, I hope they don't get it.

2 hours ago, Jess said:

A case like this is almost always on contingency which means they paying the lawyers 0 dollars and if it wins the lawyer gets 1/3.

Even if they're working on contingency and win, that's still good money that is being paid to the lawyers out of the settlement awarded. I would be very pissed if my case was treated like a last minute project. It would signal to me that the firm isn't taking the case seriously for some reason.

Granted I think it's on the Duggars and not on the firm itself, considering they run on "Duggar time". Any firm worth their salt would have had this processed and done in due time. I suspect the firm ended up working overtime to get everything together in order to file properly before time ran out. Which is scary considering the littlest mistake can cost them the entire case. YMMV and all that.

19 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Okay so Jinger not Joy was the laundry room victim. All very sad. JBoob and Meechelle are horrible people. 

We don't have official confirmation. But it seems fairly obvious. The victim that spoke about the storytime incident was young enough to be sitting on someone's lap and Joy was the only one young enough for that at the time.

And for everyone reading:

Heres a link about the JimBob and Michelle interview. They apparently confirmed four victims were their daughters and basically outed Joy as a victim when they confirmed the final straw was when Josh assaulted a sibling whose age was in single digits.

http://www.etonline.com/news/165624_jessa_and_jill_among_sisters_molested_by_josh_duggar_8_other_revelations_from_new_interview/

And here's another one by InTouch. It's a good breakdown of isssues with the Megyn Kell interviews and includes legal information from Arkansas lawyers:

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/11-things-the-duggars-are-still-hiding-after-second-interview-60110

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

They should have considered the potential emotional cost of bringing this suit, but I bet dollars to donuts they are looking for a painless settlement.

ITA, I am guessing JB just thought he could have his daughters file suit (because I still think he's the mastermind behind this) thinking the city and magazine are just going to cave in and settle.  You know, put just a bit of legal pressure and they will fold.  I don't anyone in the family has considered the prospect of this case going all the way with depositions, etc. and the affect on the girls when they find, to their dismay, that they are not being treated with kid gloves and this could be pretty rough on them.

Not that I care one whit, but has anyone (JB, Michelle or the girls) thought about what this will do to Josh and Anna? In my view, JB is yet again sacrificing another of his children for money. The filing of this lawsuit will only bring more embarrassment/distain/hatred/etc to Josh.

Be clear, I have no sympathy for Josh and think he deserves all the embarrassment/distain/hated that he gets. My point is JB selling out another of his kids.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

when they confirmed the final straw was when Josh assaulted a sibling whose age was in single digits.

snipped; I'm appalled that's what it took for them to finally do something about it, Not that they really did anything useful as we all know.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

The most interesting thing about this article is where they talk about possible legal action to have more protection for juveniles. You would think they would be talking about their underage/minor daughters, but:

“the big picture is protecting juvenile records. We want to be an advocate for protecting juvenile records, because the mistakes that juveniles make when they’re young should be sealed.”

No! They are STILL worried about protecting Smuggar and nevermind the girls. I just don't understand this!

and directly contradicts Jill's tweet about the purpose of the lawsuit being to protect juvenile *victims*

Lots of changes of heart between the interviews and now, I must say. 

6 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

When I practised litigation, though in a different jurisdiction, it was very common for claims to be filed and/or be served right before the time was to expire.  Sometimes this decision was made for strategic reasons, sometimes it takes that long to get the information that is needed for the claim or for everyone to review the draft, make comments, revise, etc., sometimes you are negotiating a settlement without having to file a claim first, sometimes because the lawyer took that long and sometime that was when you got the OK from the client to proceed.  

@SilverBeach You're so right. And the defense attorney's aren't going to put up with them dodging questions like in the Kelly interview. I just realized how they never answered a lot of her questions (like if there was a time period after the molestation where Josh was in the house/ do they feel like they're victims/ would they have been in support of legal action against him etc.) 

They're going to prod them until they give an answer to the question. And if it's off-script/ not articulated well; they lawyers will use it against them. Yikes. It's going to be a tough time. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived