IGNORED

Race to the Altar: Unmarried Fundies 3

Bethella

He's also 12 years older which wouldn't bother me if she wasn't so sheltered. 

25 minutes ago, JMO said:

I read the engagement announcement.  Holy crap, they met through an antiabortion organization and because she had pledged earlier in life to not do heathen dating they courted.  He proposed at church after giving a testimonial on the necessity of courting/engagement/marriage. And why does Lisa need to remind us that they adopted her 15 yrs ago?!?

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, geeklove said:

He's also 12 years older which wouldn't bother me if she wasn't so sheltered. 

Thanks for the information. I was wondering. He looks a lot older then her. 

They've been courting for two months when he proposed and are getting two months afterwards? No, they aren't rushing it... I was a little shocked how thin she looks on the pictures. I know some people are naturally very thin so she's probably okay though. 

And her fiancé removed her purity ring when he proposed to her? I've seen fundie families removing the purity ring on the wedding day :D but not at engagement. After all, he's not allowed to touch her yet. 

Katie Gregoire got engaged back in July (https://tolovehonorandvacuum.com/2017/09/huge-announcement-can-finally-share/), Sheila Gregoire's daughter. She initially turned him down because he wasn't focused enough on Jesus. 

I wouldn't call Sheila fundie, but she was into courtship when Josh's book came out and she really is promoting abstinence until you're married so maybe her daughter can be included. 

24 minutes ago, L1o2u3 said:

Katie Gregoire got engaged back in July (https://tolovehonorandvacuum.com/2017/09/huge-announcement-can-finally-share/), Sheila Gregoire's daughter. She initially turned him down because he wasn't focused enough on Jesus. 

I wouldn't call Sheila fundie, but she was into courtship when Josh's book came out and she really is promoting abstinence until you're married so maybe her daughter can be included. 

I read the announcement and I can't help but think it's cute that she had a childhood crush on him since he was such good friends with her older sister. Hopefully he's not just trying to marry into a family he loves. I remember dating a guy that was all wrong for me because I adored his family. That was quite the mistake. 

They've been together a while, so this isn't that surprising. I'm glad they have had time to get to know each other. 

Hey, does anyone know how old Bobby is? 

24 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Hey, does anyone know how old Bobby is? 

22, birthday is February 16, 1995

10 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Tori Bates got engaged!

http://people.com/tv/bringing-up-bates-tori-bates-bobby-smith-engaged/

I'm surprised they got a people article since the Bates aren't that well known as the Duggars

I would guess that their tv show is the most popular show on the UP channel. And they had a show on TLC in the past. So although they aren't as known as the Duggars, they are definitely known by people who follow the Duggars. And I wouldn't be surprised if their family was much more liked than the Duggars after Josh's scandals broke. 

1 hour ago, Ausje said:

An engagement announcement should never contain the phrase "he picked [her] up from school".

At least it is from college.  I read she will finish her elementary ed degree in May 2018.  Is that a bachelor degree from a real school?  Like she could be hired as a teacher somewhere?  At least she should be capable of homeschooling with some skill.

4 minutes ago, fundiefollower said:

At least it is from college.  I read she will finish her elementary ed degree in May 2018.  Is that a bachelor degree from a real school?  Like she could be hired as a teacher somewhere?  At least she should be capable of homeschooling with some skill.

I don't think it's accredited. But she could teach at a private Christian school. But I doubt that. She will probably start popping out kids immediately and use her degree to homeschool her litter. 

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don't think it's accredited. But she could teach at a private Christian school. But I doubt that. She will probably start popping out kids immediately and use her degree to homeschool her litter. 

Crown actually received accreditation last year from the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (they also accredited Bob Jones and Pensacola Christian)

1 hour ago, Bethella said:

Crown actually received accreditation last year from the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (they also accredited Bob Jones and Pensacola Christian)

It's not really a reputable accreditation like other non-profit schools would seek. It's just a group of like-minded Bible schools getting together to call themselves accredited. So she still may not have a lot of career options. And would she need a master's degree to teach elementary school in TN?

Edit to add: TRACS is/was a subsidiary of the Institute for Creation Research :pb_rollseyes: and has been under investigation in the past for accrediting various fraudulent diploma mills.

5 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

It's not really a reputable accreditation like other non-profit schools would seek. It's just a group of like-minded Bible schools getting together to call themselves accredited. So she still may not have a lot of career options. And would she need a master's degree to teach elementary school in TN?

At least some of the schools they accredit are academically rigorous. They accredit Patrick Henry and some of their graduates have gone on to Harvard Law.

She wouldn't need a master's degree to teach, teachers in Tennessee must have a bachelor’s degree and complete an educator preparation program approved by the State Board of Education. They must also pass the required Praxis Series exams and be recommended by an institution of higher education with an approved teacher education program. But Crown isn't on the list of approved educator preparation programs.

But if she taught at a private Christian school, she probably wouldn't need all that. Which is basically the only place she would teach. As her family would clutch their Pearls and faint if she taught at a heathen public school. 

On 22.9.2017 at 4:35 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I would guess that their tv show is the most popular show on the UP channel. And they had a show on TLC in the past. So although they aren't as known as the Duggars, they are definitely known by people who follow the Duggars. And I wouldn't be surprised if their family was much more liked than the Duggars after Josh's scandals broke. 

Because the general public doesn't know them that well , they don't know how involved with Gothard stuff Daddy Bates is or how one daughter married into a family that allowed their daughter to marry a rapist .

Funny how Tori said she wanted to wait till after graduation to get married... and here they are marrying in December. Erin got married before graduating though.

And I've seen "school" used to refer to university sometimes in the States. It confuses me. We do sometimes use the word school in a university context, but usually it'd be law school, medical school, maybe vet/dentist school. Individual departments may be referred to as a school (eg Business School) but never a university as a whole.

8 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Funny how Tori said she wanted to wait till after graduation to get married... and here they are marrying in December. Erin got married before graduating though.

And I've seen "school" used to refer to university sometimes in the States. It confuses me. We do sometimes use the word school in a university context, but usually it'd be law school, medical school, maybe vet/dentist school. Individual departments may be referred to as a school (eg Business School) but never a university as a whole.

We are similar in the US too. It's the less used term in my experience. Most people just say college. We actually don't say University much. We also don't say "uni." I've heard Canadians say that. But yeah, some people do say school instead of college. 

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

We are similar in the US too. It's the less used term in my experience. Most people just say college.

Idk, I think "school" is the generic term for any kind of education. I've recently started working on a second degree and everyone is asking me "which school are you at," "why did you decide to go back to school," "do you have school tomorrow," etc. Maybe it's regional?

On 9/22/2017 at 6:02 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

But if she taught at a private Christian school, she probably wouldn't need all that. Which is basically the only place she would teach. As her family would clutch their Pearls and faint if she taught at a heathen public school. 

I taught in  private Christian school for several years. I was required to have a bachelors degree  and was encouraged to be working on my masters. I would say 98% of the other Christian schools in the city  required the same. 

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic

Archived