IGNORED

Race to the Altar: Unmarried Fundies 3

Bethella

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, VBOY9977 said:

All the Roberts girls seem to be getting into relationships... Marty is with a guy named Joshua Noethe based on her Instagram and his Facebook ....

i was thinking there could be a Roberts wedding next year but their relationship seem super mainstream (at least from Instagram) so maybe they’ll have long term ones (here’s hoping)

It looks like Marty's been with this guy since June, so a wedding late next year wouldn't be out of the question? But yeah, dang, that whole family's been busy.

8 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

He was into her when he was 22 and she was 16 and he was just waiting around "for her to grow up"?! Super ew!!

Yeah, I know. I have the same opinion.

The "Renaissance fair" wedding was Jordan Niednagel and Melissa Thomas. Jordan is a lifelong Robin Hood fanatic which explains the wedding attire. He and Melissa have even given their kids names inspired by Robin Hood. They have William Locksley, Phillip Huntingdon (b/c Robin Hood is the Earl of Huntingdon), Marian Katharina and Jonas Archer. Jordan's website is niednagel.com; he has a blog there and does a big post once a month. He and Melissa are also on Facebook.

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If you go to the Alexander family blog, you will see Breanna did the exact same thing. She liked Mark Berry but showed no emotion toward him for two fucking years because she had to wait for him. 

These people are fucking nut bags.

At the root of it is the idea that for a woman to show sexual or romantic interest is unseemly or unholy, right? "Purity".

There's also a very strong element of magical thinking involved. It's like shaking a magic 8 ball, or laying out tarot cards. If you show absolutely no interest and just pray really hard and the guy ends up showing interest in you, it MUST mean that he's the one God specifically chose for you.

These biblical literalists have yet to notice that there is nothing in the Bible even remotely suggesting that God hand picks soul mates for people.

There's also an element of stemming anxiety. These women don't get a lot of choice, they have short courtships and aren't able to really get to know their spouse before marriage. But if you KNOW that God ordained this match, it's all okay and you don't have to worry about a thing. It's a way for them to rationalize their really unhealthy and risky approach to marriage.

42 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

There's also a very strong element of magical thinking involved. It's like shaking a magic 8 ball, or laying out tarot cards. If you show absolutely no interest and just pray really hard and the guy ends up showing interest in you, it MUST mean that he's the one God specifically chose for you.

These biblical literalists have yet to notice that there is nothing in the Bible even remotely suggesting that God hand picks soul mates for people.

There's also an element of stemming anxiety. These women don't get a lot of choice, they have short courtships and aren't able to really get to know their spouse before marriage. But if you KNOW that God ordained this match, it's all okay and you don't have to worry about a thing. It's a way for them to rationalize their really unhealthy and risky approach to marriage.

I totally agree. And there's always a vibe of how self important it seems. God is busy with so many serious problems in the world but for some reason you think you are so very special that god is match making too? *Insert colossal eyeroll*

It is all so very childish in my opinion. Although many times these couples are in their 20s, they always come off as a couple of teenagers in their first real relationship. 

Yep, God was far too busy reminding Steve Maxwell to order a pizza that I had to find Mr. CL on my own. 

I wonder where it came from - I'm sure 20th century Evangelicals are not the only ones believe in leaving it up to God, but it's unusual that there isn't at least some predetermined criteria for knowing who "the one" is. Here, there is no guidance, no charm, no symbol to look for, no pro-active effort* or involvement at all, and it strikes me as unusual.

*No pro-active effort on the part of the person wanting to get married- it seems to be ok for others to introduce people they think might go well together

On that note: :D

The whole God Planned My Courtship/Marriage/Life thing removes all responsibility. From the lowly girl for having to even think about her own wants to the daddy's that make it happen - they didn't arrange their kid's marriage, their god did. 

Nice, neat, wrapped in religion and not a single person is responsible for any of it. If the girls aren't responsible, they won't act independently. If the dad's aren't responsible, when they marry their daughter off to someone who turns out to be a fucktard (see: Alan Smith) they don't have to look at themselves, their choices or their actions. 

It's all their god's doing. That also ties the couple together forever because a woman wouldn't dare leave the man god plopped in her lap.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just another way fundies use their religion to stomp on women and keep control of them.

19 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

. If the dad's aren't responsible, when they marry their daughter off to someone who turns out to be a fucktard (see: Alan Smith) they don't have to look at themselves, their choices or their actions. 

I totally agree with your assessment but it still amazes me that the mortons may not be questioning their complete reliance on god and his plan when it comes to that situation. I can't wrap my mind around how they can still think it's the right way to pick a mate. If this doesn't make them reevaluate their courtship model then I don't know what will. 

On 2017-10-25 at 7:09 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can't wrap my mind around how they can still think it's the right way to pick a mate. If this doesn't make them reevaluate their courtship model then I don't know what will. 

The Mortons have dropped out of public social media significantly in the last few years so it is hard to gauge what they are thinking now, but I am not so sure they are into the courtship rituals that Katie and Kressant had to face.  The younger ones seem to have picked out people for themselves and all that weirdness with the waiting for the groom to arrive, feet washing, trumpting the grooms arrival etc seem to have gone by the wayside. 

I suspect that their core values are still pretty fundy and so I am reluctant to give them too much credit but I think that at least in this one area they might have come at least a bit closer to the norm. 

@browngrl I follow a couple of them on social media and yeah, I think their passions have shifted away from daughter-selling in favor of anti-abortion demonstrations and Confederate roleplay.

12 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

@browngrl I follow a couple of them on social media and yeah, I think their passions have shifted away from daughter-selling in favor of anti-abortion demonstrations and Confederate roleplay.

Wow, that's gold medal mental gymnastics to go be able to pair "All human life is precious" with "Let's honor people who fought for the ability to treat human lives as things". 

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

Wow, that's gold medal mental gymnastics to go be able to pair "All human life is precious" with "Let's honor people who fought for the ability to treat human lives as things". 

Oh hell yeah. Especially considering how often these types like to make nonsensical abortion/slavery comparisons. Speaking of which, Mariah Campana recently shared a post with some bizarre antisemitism in it-- she was talking about how smart her little brother was, after he said that Bernie Sanders is selfish "because of his Jewish beliefs"? Cool story bro, tell me more about how abortion is the *real* Holocaust.

15 hours ago, browngrl said:

The Mortons have dropped out of public social media significantly in the last few years so it is hard to gauge what they are thinking now, but I am not so sure they are into the courtship rituals that Katie and Kressant had to face.  The younger ones seem to have picked out people for themselves and all that weirdness with the waiting for the groom to arrive, feet washing, trumpting the grooms arrival etc seem to have gone by the wayside. 

I suspect that their core values are still pretty fundy and so I am reluctant to give them too much credit but I think that at least in this one area they might have come at least a bit closer to the norm. 

Most of what you describe was a Smith thing and only happened with the Smorton marriages.

Dorothy & Martha didn't have anything like that for their wedding, but their 'courtship' stories were steeped in fundie bullshit. Same with Cleve's. His double fundie wedding was one heck of a fundie show. We didn't really hear the courtship stories of Andrew and Sam, but they married very young to very young girls from families the Morton's interact with regularly.

While outwardly the insane rituals aren't present - or visible - there is nothing that really points to the Mortons changing at all since the Smith days - the only thing that changed is the removal of the Smiths and Bret's utterly, ridiculously insane ideas.

At their core, I don't sincerely believe a single thing has changed.

They do like to conform to their friends; seriously, the whole Smith mash up was all kinds of crazy for a long time. They just have different friends front & center.

Marscel Thomas is courting Emma Haguewood. Do we know her or her family? I googled for a VF connection, but found nothing. 

17 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Marscel Thomas is courting Emma Haguewood. Do we know her or her family? I googled for a VF connection, but found nothing.

I don't know about her family, but she has made a LOT of appearances in Jordanyo's blog this past year. She is often seen holding the newest little Niednagel kid (Jonas?) so maybe she is used as a nanny in the merry manor of Sherwood. Jordan's latest blog entry also has a picture of Emma and Marscel:

Spoiler

oct241733.jpg

On 10/25/2017 at 6:49 PM, fundiefan said:

The whole God Planned My Courtship/Marriage/Life thing removes all responsibility. From the lowly girl for having to even think about her own wants to the daddy's that make it happen - they didn't arrange their kid's marriage, their god did. 

Nice, neat, wrapped in religion and not a single person is responsible for any of it. If the girls aren't responsible, they won't act independently. If the dad's aren't responsible, when they marry their daughter off to someone who turns out to be a fucktard (see: Alan Smith) they don't have to look at themselves, their choices or their actions. 

It's all their god's doing. That also ties the couple together forever because a woman wouldn't dare leave the man god plopped in her lap.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just another way fundies use their religion to stomp on women and keep control of them.

It begs the question, what do they think is happening when date and get married without involving parents or praying? Isn't that defying God's will because they didn't wait and pray? Is the marriage "God's best", as they always like to say? If you divorce, does that mean you didn't marry the person God wanted you to? Where is God in the lives of the rest of us, in their world? 

Well, some Christians would say that anything good humans do is b/c of a common grace that God gives everyone, but that only certain people get the special grace that enables you to lead a Christian life and go to heaven. So a heathen who dates and marries without God's guidance but manages to have a lifelong marriage is able to do so by the grace of God. But you're still going to hell unless God gives you the grace to accept Jesus and stuff. Which is fucking shitty IMO. I think these people would also say that heathens divorcing is a sign of a lack of grace from God, or a rejection of the grace needed to keep your marriage together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_grace

James Ference strikes again. According to his public Facebook page he is engaged to yet another woman. 

What the hell makes women stupid enough to fall for that? His history is all over the damn Internet. Do some vetting before getting sucked in. But, I suppose that is too hard for some. And he finds them.

Campbell Roberts finally showed her boyfriend’s face

From the comments it looks like Olivia Falldine is his sister but I’m not familiar with this family.

And I know that someone mentioned that Marty Roberts is also in a relationship.. there are pics in her Instagram and yet again, I have no clue who the guy is.

On 10/28/2017 at 6:41 AM, LurkerOverThePond said:

I don't know about her family, but she has made a LOT of appearances in Jordanyo's blog this past year. She is often seen holding the newest little Niednagel kid (Jonas?) so maybe she is used as a nanny in the merry manor of Sherwood. Jordan's latest blog entry also has a picture of Emma and Marscel:

Hide contents

oct241733.jpg

Dang, are you serious?! How can he be old enough to court? Watched him grow up. Very sensitive. I remember him crying tears of "joy" when Jordan got engaged to his sister Melissa. Looks like he beat out 2 older siblings. Looks like the Thomases are still following the courtship BS. Does anyone know how old Melanie Thomas is??

10 hours ago, Oh_Dear! said:

Campbell Roberts finally showed her boyfriend’s face

From the comments it looks like Olivia Falldine is his sister but I’m not familiar with this family.

And I know that someone mentioned that Marty Roberts is also in a relationship.. there are pics in her Instagram and yet again, I have no clue who the guy is.

On even MORE Roberts news, Willie also appears to be in a rs with a girl named Molly Everitt based on both their instagrams

ETA: I’ve also been getting the vibe from all of the Roberts siblings posts that they’re not doing the “dating with a purpose” crap that fundies do. This is shown by Edgar breaking up after a short, pretty casual relationship , for example. I get the feeling they’re enjoying dating and being in their 20’s, I hope I’m not wrong 

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic

Archived