IGNORED

Race to the Altar: Unmarried Fundies 3

Bethella

30 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

Thanks a summary was exatly what i was searching 

The snarky summaries are new to FJ but I adore them. They were needed! 

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa! I know it was heavily speculated but it's still a shock to see things *happening* in Maxwell world. 

Also, that ring is hideous.

I'm less surprised about the engagement than I am that they announced before the wedding. I figured we'd get another announcement like Joseph and Elissa.

6 minutes ago, Bethella said:

I'm less surprised about the engagement than I am that they announced before the wedding. I figured we'd get another announcement like Joseph and Elissa.

The Bontragers could never do that. They spill everything. I guarantee they will live stream the wedding. And Steve will have an stroke. 

I keep thinking about Nurie Rodriguez, and how Jill wants her to marry ASAP, but they don't seem to be that close to many other Fundy families.  So I was thinking, for a family whose kids are hitting 18, without having grown up knowing other families well, like the S'Mortons, Bowers/Bontragers/Maxwells, what should they be doing to help them find a spouse?  Conferences like Big Sandy seem to be a good marriage mart,  and if kids went to things like ALERT or JTTH, they could go and stay with each other and meet brothers/sisters of their friends - but for families without much cash, who are geographically isolated from other Fundies (or, like the Rods, are always on the road) what are the other options?  

How do the Quiverfull types find each other?  Are there match-making services?  Could a QF mother like Jill R ask another matriarch for advice, and the matriarch could effect introductions?  I'm so intrigued!

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

How do the Quiverfull types find each other?  Are there match-making services? 

Although they dumped on daddy-led courtship proceedings, the Pearls have also promoted what they call Shindigs, which are explicitly for providing mating opportunities. This is Shoshanna Pearl Easling talking about their approach:

I met my husband at a bash in New Mexico. It was an extreme sports event of climbing cliffs, caving, camping, and getting to know other like-minded believers who appreciated this lifestyle. As you can see in the picture, it was a smashing success.

My sister Shalom met her husband in Tennessee at a young men’s mission conference where she was the cook. Nathan met Zephyr at a missionary conference in Texas. We didn’t go spouse hunting, but we did go where potential spouses might be hanging out. You get the idea?

3 hours ago, Bethella said:

I'm not surprised in the least. Right down to the girl, all the hints have been there. It was only a matter of time.

With the Bontragers being a public family they weren't going to play the Maxwell game and not announce for 'privacy'. The have followers and fans. 

I actually imagine (justified or not) Steve silently seething that one, he didn't get to make the announcement; someone else had control of that little tidbit. And two, it is announced before the wedding - if things go south on another Maxwell relationship it will be public. 

Interestingly the announcement said nothing about courtship and referred to John as her boyfriend. She seems far too worldly for the Maxwells, even if they do all share the same screwed up beliefs. I just can't imagine her being happy living on the compound in the making and living such a small Maxwell life. 

37 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I actually imagine (justified or not) Steve silently seething that one, he didn't get to make the announcement; someone else had control of that little tidbit. And two, it is announced before the wedding - if things go south on another Maxwell relationship it will be public. 

Should the couple marry, it will be very interesting to see how the Bontragers are portrayed in the Maxhell blog.

Must also confess to gleeful anticipation of the trainwrecks to come when the two families collide meet in person :

• Will the Bontrager parents be offered Steve's & Teri's recliners if they visit?
  • Will the Bontragers blow away the elderly with their musical talents such that the elderly no longer want to have Stevehovah & company for Sunday services?
  • Judging from food & restaurant preferences their bios, I'd be surprised if any of the Bontragers get enthusiastic about those effing burritos. 

Yes, many questions here! May we all live to see & snark on the answers!

@hoipolloi the families have known each other for years so I doubt they are in for any major surprises. Although they know each other, I think there will still be some things that gets under Steve's skin. I'm just wondering if he will keep it all bottled up or let this all out. 

Hopefully Chelsy can introduce John to some good, flavourful cuisine. Wonder what Steve will say when she puts meat and spice into the burritos? Or gives him three or *gasp* FOUR animal crackers??

Just now, 19dageld said:

Why was Saah Reith and Caleb Kenndey crossed out?

The wedding has been called off.

@hoipolloi What happens for the Fundy types without the cash for conferences, though? 

I can't even imagine what one of their conferences is like - all the godly young people checking each other out completely, while pretending to be holier-than-thou.  I bet eg going clubbing as a single student is less of a meat-market experience!

10 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Interestingly the announcement said nothing about courtship and referred to John as her boyfriend. She seems far too worldly for the Maxwells, even if they do all share the same screwed up beliefs. I just can't imagine her being happy living on the compound in the making and living such a small Maxwell life. 

I feel very sorry for her. She really seems to be outspoken (not only by fundie standards) and although her family has this crazy working ethic they still seem to enjoy each other and like to have fun. Something impossible und unthinkable in MaxHell. And although it seems that John might have broke away a little bit from his fathers extreme beliefs, I can't see them really enjoying their life in the future. Not as long as they are close to Steve. It will be really hard to adjust for Chels. It's highly unlikely, but I hope they'll move closer to her family at some point.

Damnnnn Chelsy. I am so sorry for her, although I know she's been  very publicly baby crazy for years. How far aware is John's new house from the compound?  [I know the answer is not far enough]

She is NOT going to be happy attending the church-of-the-retirement-home-sitting-area.  

5 hours ago, Lurky said:

@hoipolloi What happens for the Fundy types without the cash for conferences, though? 

I can't even imagine what one of their conferences is like - all the godly young people checking each other out completely, while pretending to be holier-than-thou.  I bet eg going clubbing as a single student is less of a meat-market experience!

Jill advertises (I feel like I'm quoting Jane Eyre). She has made multiple posts on fb naming all of her fabulous qualities and has even posted many pictures showing off her "assets." She also sent her to the Pearls for a few weeks. I'm sure she was hoping Nurie would meet some new bachelors there. 

I hate how much the Rod family travels squashed in that RV but I have a feeling that it helps Jill push Nurie into the paths of single young fundie men. 

The Rods are friends with a few families with single adult sons. The Millers, Kellers, Plaths, and Johnsons have at least one single adult son each. But since there have been no love matches this far, I am guessing they are not interested in having Jill as an in law. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I hate how much the Rod family travels squashed in that RV but I have a feeling that it helps Jill push Nurie into the paths of single young fundie men. 

I don't think it does, because when they travel, the older Rod girls are responsible for looking after all the little siblings, while Jill swans around making contacts.  I know a lot of sister moms do this, but this is why conferences must be great for Fundy maidens - herded into age-appropriate groups, they get to hang out with maybe only 2 siblings in the same room!

Which was the family where the sisters basically picked a godly maiden for their brother?  Is that at S'Morton story maybe?

I think Jill used to do that when Nurie was younger but she seems to be more and more desperate to marry Nurie off. She even made that vague post making it seem like Nurie is engaged when we all know she isn't. 

yes, Jill seems genuinely flabbergasted that eligible fundy men aren't literally knocking on their door asking to court Nurie, and it doesn't occur to her that the extreme isolation of her kids is part of the reason.  no one knows who they are and they aren't allowed to have any friends, so Jill has already cut off the vast majority of chances for her kids to find partners.  if Timothy makes it to Bible college next year, at least he'll have a chance to learn how to have friends.

10 hours ago, Lurky said:

What happens for the Fundy types without the cash for conferences, though? 

Too bad so sad, I guess.

To give the devils their due, the Shindig things usually seem to be held in parks or similar facilities where attendees can camp, use an RV or stay in low-budget cabins. 

This is probably partly why so many fundies will go to the weddings of other fundies they barely know. It's a place with a ton of single fundies with love and marriage on their minds.

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic

Archived