IGNORED

Maxwell 9: Woks and spices - what's next?

Coconut Flan

Ugh. I "can't even " with the Maxwells. There are tons of adult children who still live at home these days, it's pretty much the norm. But I can't imagine an adult still being forced to eat what "Mommy" wants to make that night and not being able to make their own decision. Imagine if someone just wasn't in the mood to eat what Teri planned that night? All hell would break loose. She'd probably have a meltdown and go on a Pepsi binge. 

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still just so weird to me how many adults are at home and how Teri's life is still in mom-mode. It's kind of funny in an ironic way. Teri suffered badly with depression through her children's childhoods and then, because of the twisted religion she and her husband practice, has ended up caring for those same kids for far into adulthood. She has prolonged her own suffering in a way. (I'm not saying that parenthood is suffering, I wouldn't know, I just know Teri has admitted struggling with it.)

I know quite a few moms with adult children at home who insist on cooking for them and who give the adult kids a major guilt trip if they don't want to eat what the mom makes. These are also the same kinds of older women who shove food at every visitor who shows up at the door. If you're there for two seconds to pick up a friend or help out with an errand, the mom gets upset if you don't want to sit down and have a piece of cake.

I have an adult kid at home, and it irks me when he doesn't want to eat what we have. I always try to make sure to make enough to include him because it just seems rude not to when he's in the house. He sometimes eats the leftovers and sometimes doesn't. Right now I kind of envy Teri's rigid schedule for her adult kids. She knows exactly how much to make and knows that they will all eat it.

In other news, I just went into the kitchen to find my kid cooking with the ingredients I'd planned on using for tonight's dinner. I'll be that doesn't happen to Teri, either.

Then again, I drink Pepsi and eat entire cookies--sometimes all in the same sitting.

38 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

These are also the same kinds of older women who shove food at every visitor who shows up at the door. If you're there for two seconds to pick up a friend or help out with an errand, the mom gets upset if you don't want to sit down and have a piece of cake.

This is my mom. Naturally 110 lbs my whole life and pushes junk food on anyone who walks by. Does not understand the concept of myself and my husband not eating much sugar/mostly eat low carb/don't like deserts etc. 

54 minutes ago, molecule said:

Then again, I drink Pepsi and eat entire cookies--sometimes all in the same sitting.

Ah whole cookies and a Pepsi also known as the eighth deadly sin.

Apparently they've gotten away from eating only burritos on Sundays. 

I agree, none of their meals are weird.  They do have one night where only soup is listed.  Hopefully they have bread or something to go along with that.

Actually, looking again at Teri's list, it looks like she lists mostly only main dishes.  I assume they have veggies or something on the side and just don't list them.

Soup can be pretty filling! If they, say, have some of those "melt-in-your-mouth incredible" bread rolls Mary makes it can be pretty filling. If it's for a main meal then I imagine you can make it fairly substantial. 

(I clearly use the phrase pretty filling too much)

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

Apparently they've gotten away from eating only burritos on Sundays. 

I agree, none of their meals are weird.  They do have one night where only soup is listed.  Hopefully they have bread or something to go along with that.

Actually, looking again at Teri's list, it looks like she lists mostly only main dishes.  I assume they have veggies or something on the side and just don't list them.

Don't they have burritos for Sunday lunch?  I also noticed Smug Joe and Invisible Melissa were on the schedule to eat with them one night.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived