IGNORED

Sierra - Return of the Strawberries and New Babies

choralcrusader8613

1 minute ago, justmy2cents said:

Heard this one before about a 16 year old. Has to be an urban legend.

dammit, i was kind of hoping it was true since i heard it only second-hand.  but then, since i never met the nurse, she very well could have been full of it.........:my_smile:

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've talked about Lakynn a couple of times in the past (while we were waiting to find out Spurgeon's name). They ended up adding an i to the name and calling her Laikynn. I'll point out that mom's name is McKinli. She also has an older son named Titan and I think there's at least one younger kid but I can't find the name.

I did come across a girl named Jealously once. Real name as I had to check her passport. This was probably 7 or so years ago and I believe she was a young teenager. 

I hope she changed it when she turned 18 and told her mother to fuck off. 

In this same job I also came across a family that named all of their kids the same name, just different spellings. I want to say it was "Charlie" and it was like "Charlie, Charlee and Charley" but they wall went by their middle names. The dad's name was also Charlie

I did go to college with an Aquanette. I believe she is a CPA now.

I must speak up, as a "woman of a certain age". Since many of my peers were Jennifer, Michelle, Amy, and Heather, they wanted something different for their daughters. Boy, did they ever create "something different"!

I'd always thought that names like Braylee and Brynley were a Utah Mormon thing, but they seem to be a generic White People Thing now.

(Like I remember when the very Mormon-coded Twilight came out and people thought Renesmee was a really funny name, but now everyone's got a two-year-old named Tymberlee so, yeah.)

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

#neverforget

WHO IS THIS DODO BIRD??????? Every one of those names is a travesty and somehow she still managed to pick the travestiest of all travestilicious names in travestyville. What is actually happening here?

Don't know about the veracity of the  16 year old girl.  My uncle was a doctor assigned to a base in Georgia during WW11.  One of the stories from his service was that after delivering a baby to a soldiers wife, he commented  that is a perfect placenta.   The young wife wanted to name baby Placenta.  I think we can comment on the absolute ignorance about the birth process rather than race.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

This should be brought out as exhibit A every time someone (usually a stupid pasty face) mentions that stupid urban legend about a black mom naming her twins Lemonjello and Orangejello (or other equally stupid legends) - because it seems like every time someone brings it up it's to make fun of minority parents and imply that whites are so much better at naming their kids. And, clearly, that's just not true. 

(And just to be perfectly clear - I'm white myself. So everyone, please don't get offended at me for calling other white people "stupid pasty face." :) )

My sister has taken care of twins named Orangejello and Lemonjello. No joke, that is not an urban legend. They are just not pronounced like Orange-jello or Lemon-jello. The J ends up being silent. 

My Paternal grandfather was an Anglican Reverend and he once had to baptise twins called Coke and Pepsi. Those were not their nicknames. Those were their real, birth certificate names

I'm pretty sure I told this story before but I went to university with a girl called Abcde. Weird. Her parents thought that they were really clever. 

1 minute ago, bekkah said:

My sister has taken care of twins named Orangejello and Lemonjello. No joke, that is not an urban legend. They are just not pronounced like Orange-jello or Lemon-jello. The J ends up being silent. 

I'm not saying you're lying, or that your sister is lying, but you're like the 20th random person on the internet I've seen insist that someone they know knew babies named Orangejello and Lemonjello and that it's not an urban legend. I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me. Why would so many totally disconnected people be having twins and naming them Orangejello and Lemonjello?

People do give their kids weird or thoughless names and it is not a new thing. I was looking at my moms HS yearbook from 1935 and there  was an Olive Green in it. 

A while back when I worked in the mortgage field, I frequently spoke with someone who had a first name of Lasagna.

My husband does customer support for computers in grocery stores. There's a lady who manages one of them and while I have no idea how she spells it, her name is pronounced "My Dong." He has to call them and go, "Yes, may I please speak to My Dong?" and not laugh. 

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

I'm not saying you're lying, or that your sister is lying, but you're like the 20th random person on the internet I've seen insist that someone they know knew babies named Orangejello and Lemonjello and that it's not an urban legend. I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me. Why would so many totally disconnected people be having twins and naming them Orangejello and Lemonjello?

I asked once about it and she was dead serious about it. She worked in pediatric intensive care unit. I don't doubt it. I'm not trying to perpetuate a urban legend. Also they won't publish those names on SS website if less than 5 people in the country have that name that year. To easy to track the people down. 

And I work as a teacher, I have no doubt people name their kids weird things. 

1 minute ago, bekkah said:

I asked once about it and she was dead serious about it. She worked in pediatric intensive care unit. I don't doubt it. I'm not trying to perpetuate a urban legend. Also they won't publish those names on SS website if less than 5 people in the country have that name that year. To easy to track the people down. 

And I work as a teacher, I have no doubt people name their kids weird things. 

Yeah. It just seems a bit suspicious. Are you sure she didn't hear the story from someone else? Or is there some kind of Jello baby name cultural reference I don't know about that would cause so many different parents to give those specific and inexplicable names to their children?

I have a cousin in Appalachia (her father and my mother were siblings) whose cousin on her mother's side (not related to me) was named "Tinkle Bell" after a movie. They called her "Tink" for short. I can never forget this.

:huh:

9 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

My husband does customer support for computers in grocery stores. There's a lady who manages one of them and while I have no idea how she spells it, her name is pronounced "My Dong." He has to call them and go, "Yes, may I please speak to My Dong?" and not laugh. 

So my sister is adopted from Vietnam and has an American name, but her given Vietnamese name was something like Mai Dung (as a first/middle I believe). I do know the middle is pronounced differently, and of course originally not written in English characters. I'm guessing that person could be Vietnamese and never went by an American name. 

34 minutes ago, SuhrEnity said:

WHO IS THIS DODO BIRD??????? Every one of those names is a travesty and somehow she still managed to pick the travestiest of all travestilicious names in travestyville. What is actually happening here?

Travestilicious is a beautiful name. Even more so with this spelling: Travestéhlyshuss. 

12 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I'm guessing that person could be Vietnamese and never went by an American name. 

I believe similar, but didn't want to be offensive by characterizing her wrongly. 

There is a great Youtube video by two young mormon moms who make fun of weird names and spellings among mormons. I don't have the link right now but you should find it with "unique mormon names" on YT or something like that. One is named Chastytee or something similar... 

OK, so on the topics of weird names. My daughters are adopted from China. At the time we adopted, it was common practice to take the first and middle names given to your child by the orphanage and concatenate them and use it as their middle name. We did so with our older daughter. Our younger daughter was not given a middle name, so we looked at doing the same for her but using her first and last name. If we had done so, her middle name would have been "Fukun". Correct pronunciation is "foo-kwen" but.....

Obviously, that is NOT her middle name.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

This should be brought out as exhibit A every time someone (usually a stupid pasty face) mentions that stupid urban legend about a black mom naming her twins Lemonjello and Orangejello (or other equally stupid legends) - because it seems like every time someone brings it up it's to make fun of minority parents and imply that whites are so much better at naming their kids. And, clearly, that's just not true. 

(And just to be perfectly clear - I'm white myself. So everyone, please don't get offended at me for calling other white people "stupid pasty face." :) )

I could write a book on terrible names white people have given their kids. But I wouldn't. Because like I said in my prior post, I would feel I'm being classist and snobby because the vast majority come from lower class younger white people I know. I grew up working class with parents living paycheck to paycheck so I don't want to rip on where I come from too much. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

People do give their kids weird or thoughless names and it is not a new thing. I was looking at my moms HS yearbook from 1935 and there  was an Olive Green in it.

My mom knew a Green family with a Kelly and a Forrest. And my aunt knew a woman who named her daughter Dimples. Some parents are just cruel name-wise, intentionally or not. If you want a really bad one, try looking up STFU Parents' posts on a pair of twins named Vadgeena and Vadjesty.

As far as Sierra goes, ditch the creative spelling and they're not bad names.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived