Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I agree, @foreign fundie. Especially as she is just a teenager, and was almost certainly a minor when the alleged activity was going on.  It really crosses a line to print that, I think. 

She turned 19 in October. She would have been 18 when the intimate relationship is alleged to have began. So not a minor, but still really really distasteful to print. 

But there are news outlets and reporters that aren't really good at thinking things out. There was honestly an article that claimed with complete accuracy that the Dills obviously had sex prior to marriage because they announced she was pregnant so quickly - not thinking to, you know, check basic facts on how most Doctors and Midwives date a pregnancy. :roll:

(And before anyone points out that not all people know about pregnancy dating and all that - This was an article written to defend the Dills and the fact that they clearly had premarital sex. Basic fact checking would have done wonders and, you know, would have been part of the job.)

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't some article say something similar about Joseph and Kendra too? It was equally as icky if I remember correctly. 

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Didn't some article say something similar about Joseph and Kendra too? It was equally as icky if I remember correctly. 

Yes, it seems to bd the trend.

I realize for many people today it is inconceivable that an engaged couple does not have sex. But the Duggars and many fundie youngsters do not actually have the physical possibility to have sex because of lack of privacy and independence. And that is assuming they even want to.

To assume, or claim that a couple is sleeping together, just because everybody you know would do that if engaged, shows little awareness of their particular situation and does not allow for the possibility that they have chosen to standards which they want to and do keep.

There is of course Josh, who had extra-marital sex. But he was a married man, and therefore there was not the same level of control. This cannot be compared to Joy's situation. Also, Joy should not be judged by Josh (lack of) standards.

Joy as an individual who has expressed her full intention to marry as a virgin, should be taken at her word unless there is prove she lies (an 8 lbs preemie in September).

And again, apart from the extreme unlikeliness they could even have sex before marriage, people can have principles. Even if the majority culture thinks these principles out-dated, or if many other people do not follow their own principles in this matter, and even if these principles are often communicated with a sense of superiority, it does not make it right to automatically assume someone with these principles is a hypocritical liar. 

I just want her to have a fair chance to decide what she will become and not be saddled with a non-existing scandal before she is even out of her teens and out of her parents home.

If TLC brought him back even for a fraction of a second they'd be screwing themselves over. But then again this is TLC and I truly put nothing past them most days.

21 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

But the Duggars and many fundie youngsters do not actually have the physical possibility to have sex because of lack of privacy and independence. And that is assuming they even want to.

This exactly.  In Touch is clearly just making crap up.  When and where would this premarital sex have happened??  They require a chaperone at all times and aren't supposed to have any physical contact until courting.  She sleeps in a giant dorm room with her sisters, doesn't have a job, doesn't attend school, isn't allowed to go anywhere by herself.  

I hope she hasn't heard about it.  She was brought up to take great pride and care for her "purity".  This would be a terrible mean thing for her to hear.  Then again, she's pretty tough.  But she shouldn't need to go through that. 

See, I think Josh WILL be back, because he is putting himself in the place to be seen. He didn't voluntarily hide during Jinger's wedding festivities. He didn't have to. He's a bona fide member of that family, and I believe that, while he may not be in the best standing, he is still in good standing with them, or he'd have been off to the side, or "conveniently ill" so as to not ruin any fun they may have had.

Josh will be back, IMO. It's only a matter of time until he speaks. 

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

I agree

15 hours ago, marmalade said:

I wonder if they really did do a TH with Smuggar being thrilled with the arrival of M5, considering his less than tepid response to the news of M4.

If anyone breaks free, I think it'd be one of Josh's kids. Imagine being Meredith and one day watching your dad's reaction to having you?! 

17 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

If anyone breaks free, I think it'd be one of Josh's kids. Imagine being Meredith and one day watching your dad's reaction to having you?! 

Aside from that, they have Anna, and she seems to have been a much more caring and hands on mother than any of the Duggars.. excepting possibly Jessa right now.

I think they'll put up with their idiot father because they do have a good (as good as she can be) mother.

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

See, I think Josh WILL be back, because he is putting himself in the place to be seen. He didn't voluntarily hide during Jinger's wedding festivities. He didn't have to. He's a bona fide member of that family, and I believe that, while he may not be in the best standing, he is still in good standing with them, or he'd have been off to the side, or "conveniently ill" so as to not ruin any fun they may have had.

I firmly believe TLC is going to throw him a redemption special when M5 shows up. Then he and Anna, like Jeremy and Audrey Roloff, will start their own marriage counseling business.

1 minute ago, Mela99 said:

I firmly believe TLC is going to throw him a redemption special when M5 shows up. Then he and Anna, like Jeremy and Audrey Roloff, will start their own Christian marriage counseling business.

fixed that for you.

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

I firmly believe TLC is going to throw him a redemption special when M5 shows up. Then he and Anna, like Jeremy and Audrey Roloff, will start their own marriage counseling business.

Ugh how I despise Audrey Roloff. GAG GAG GAG

4 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Ugh... I hope their daughter doesn't turn out to be as massive an asshole as these two are. Poor kid.

7 hours ago, JMO said:

This exactly.  In Touch is clearly just making crap up.  When and where would this premarital sex have happened??  They require a chaperone at all times and aren't supposed to have any physical contact until courting.  She sleeps in a giant dorm room with her sisters, doesn't have a job, doesn't attend school, isn't allowed to go anywhere by herself.  

Also, over and above this very valid point, anyone who has spent any time around teenagers who are in love and sexually active will bet dollars to donuts that Joy is not in that group. Those undeveloped teenage frontal lobes can't help themselves, even if said teens think they are being discrete it is very clear to anyone and everyone that they are in LUV! They are always touching and laughing and just generally being hormone filled mush balls. Joy and her man give off none of those vibes. Poor Joy.

From the little I've seen of him, Austin appears to be an emotionless cyborg. Where they got the idea that these two couldn't keep their hands off each other is beyond me. 

Is any one else getting massive red flags from Anna's "choice" to quit the show right before all of this reintroduction of josh bs? - Add to that the way that whenever we see her somewhere that she could break away from, someone else is always 'helping' (has) at least one of the kids... I want to be wrong and jumping at shadows, but having had the family conveniently 'wanting to help' every time I was very close to breaking loose, I'm seeing a pattern that's concerning - especially if eejit-the-largest does end up with a platform to spin from.

Oh for a blanket fort...

52 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

Is any one else getting massive red flags from Anna's "choice" to quit the show right before all of this reintroduction of josh bs? - Add to that the way that whenever we see her somewhere that she could break away from, someone else is always 'helping' (has) at least one of the kids... I want to be wrong and jumping at shadows, but having had the family conveniently 'wanting to help' every time I was very close to breaking loose, I'm seeing a pattern that's concerning - especially if eejit-the-largest does end up with a platform to spin from.

Oh for a blanket fort...

I'm assuming the family offer to help because they don't want any risk Anna might break away. They may think they're helping, but I do believe there would be a big dose of "we have to make sure she doesn't say anything that damages the brand".

Not convinced that Smuggar will be on the show, however I wouldn't be too surprised; this is TLC we're discussing. I think they could do a couple of those webisodes as other posters have suggested, a feature when the new M spawn arrives or even a brief catch-up segment.

Those sad Anna scenes were difficult to watch. I can see TLC allowing some Smuggar family screen time just to repair their public image and the Duggars going along with it so they could have good testimony on how Jesus Jail™ removed Satan's heart-fortress and now they are a happy family again. 

1 hour ago, MadeItOut said:

Is any one else getting massive red flags from Anna's "choice" to quit the show right before all of this reintroduction of josh bs? 

When did Anna choose to quit the show? Was this in one of the recent promotional videos? Apparently Canadians can't watch those anymore so I haven't see them.

10 minutes ago, CorruptionInc. said:

I'm assuming the family offer to help because they don't want any risk Anna might break away. They may think they're helping, but I do believe there would be a big dose of "we have to make sure she doesn't say anything that damages the brand".

Yup - and it's one of THE most effective means of control too. It's a sad irony that the one time CP/quiverful types seem to truly understand mother-child bonding is when they're using the child/ren to control the mother.

Just now, singsingsing said:

When did Anna choose to quit the show? Was this in one of the recent promotional videos? Apparently Canadians can't watch those anymore so I haven't see them.

There were a handful of 'articles' around it a week or so ago. Wouldn't normally give it any credence, except for one had an 'explanation' from JB that Anna supposedly blames TLC for all that ails them and would rather focus on her children than appear again. That triggered my uh-oh response pretty heftily in light of recent goings on. - I would love to be wrong, but my gut feeling is to be extremely concerned for Anna just now.

49 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

There were a handful of 'articles' around it a week or so ago. Wouldn't normally give it any credence, except for one had an 'explanation' from JB that Anna supposedly blames TLC for all that ails them and would rather focus on her children than appear again. That triggered my uh-oh response pretty heftily in light of recent goings on. - I would love to be wrong, but my gut feeling is to be extremely concerned for Anna just now.

What articles? Where were they published? Where did they get this explanation from Jim Bob? Was he quoted directly?

Bear with me. I'll try and dig them up. ...knowing me, it was likely in one of my "duggar" + family searches on Google. I tend to search that, then click over to the 'news' tab. Lemme see what I can refind.

Hmmmm that's odd. I can now only find two references to it and not even sound ones at that (& these two both reference comments similar to the one I saw attributed to JB, but put down to 'a family insider' again). The article referencing JB I can no longer find.

Here's the obligatory Inquisitr piece - to go with the customary salt (apologies if I'm not linking correctly - it's a new skill for me): http://www.inquisitr.com/4178786/anna-duggar-done-with-counting-on-blames-duggar-familys-tv-series-for-joshs-downfall/

...and the CP's post: http://www.christianpost.com/news/counting-on-duggar-family-news-anna-duggar-wants-a-life-away-from-the-limelight-182449/

I'd swear there were more than just those though - it usually takes me 4-6 corroborations for anything from the Inquisitr to stick on my radar.

Nothing from Inquisitr should ever stick to your radar unless they're just regurgitating info directly from a credible source. These tabloids all just quote each other. Their 'inside sources' are usually the writer's imagination.

• Coconut Flan unpinned this topic
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived