IGNORED

Can we talk about Fundies and food?

lawlifelgbt

On 24.5.2017 at 5:28 PM, Red Jumper said:

@Jellybean i will post a recipe in the fj food forum...just not today and perhaps not tomorrow.. i got some extras in real-life this week (party, work late, party....) but i will let you know. i found a couple of recipes online but none is what i do, so i have to rewrite/simplify them

I put up the recipe for Krautfleckerl in the recipe thread. The shout-out didn't work over there so here you go:
@Jellybean @Seahorse Wrangler @PennySycamore

I also gave you the savoury, meaty version (at end of recipe) because the "real Krautfleckerl"-question is a hot discussed topic.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

turtle soup

I'd rather try frog legs than turtle soup. I have a feeling that turtles are endangered while I d not consider frogs to be endangered.

3 hours ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

In addition to various fish types, they also had boxes of live frogs & turtles, & that threw me way off.

At markets we can buy some fish live, but not at stores. Some restaurants sell live fish. I have seen this in other countries too (IIRC in Canada too)

I have seen toads in a huge supermarket in china a couple of years ago that was off-putting: I think they are exceptionally ugly. They hardly moved so I thought they are suffering. Unfortunately i didn't try some because it didn't come up in the restaurant and we weren't sure how to prepare it.

• 2 months later...

I was raised in a Fundamentalist like household, there were only four kids due to my mom having some issues and my dad not being completely on board with my mom's beliefs, and I have been reading on the Fundie food issues. Food insecurity was a struggle for my family during the recession, especially since my mom had just had another baby, and as a result, we were eating a lot of handouts and processed junk food, and our food was restricted. I began to sneak food, and ever since then have struggled with both anorexia and binge eating disorder. The Fundamentalist mentality really does mess with kids' heads, and it can be difficult to escape the mentality. I now am living on my own in college, and I see just how odd my eating habits are compared to those of my peer's and it makes me sad. 

This thread helped me put two and two together that my Aunt's Big 80's Natural Foods Kick was also when they were getting sucked into Gothardiam. 

Also it made me hungry. Very, very hungry. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Jill may have hid in the bathroom to eat was because Boob and Josh hoovered most of the food at mealtime.

The Duggars have produced a lot of kids who don't have the healthiest eating habits. Apparently Ben was surprised when he started living with Jessa, at the speed she devours food...apparently you have to eat fast in the Duggar compound, because if you don't it will be gone.

http://wtffundiefamilies.tumblr.com/post/163052473204/okay-i-get-that-theyre-joking-around-butif

On 8/8/2017 at 0:52 PM, ILoveJellybeans said:

...apparently you have to eat fast in the Duggar compound, because if you don't it will be gone.

My husband and his four siblings' fondest joke is that there were eight of them, but three didn't eat fast enough.

I had to ask him to take me to a store for snacks to keep in my room the first time we stayed - I was starving because I was trying to be polite and only take a small portion of each item, which is how I was taught. In my household growing up, though, there were almost always 'seconds'. 

My husband and his sibs typically ask their mum how many sprouts (or carrots or potatoes, etc.) each. And dad serves the meat to ration it. Nothing went round more than once. So I starved, lol.

On 8/9/2017 at 6:27 PM, AlysonRR said:

My husband and his sibs typically ask their mum how many sprouts (or carrots or potatoes, etc.) each. And dad serves the meat to ration it. Nothing went round more than once. So I starved, lol.

OMG this!  30  years ago, at my ex's parents' home, his mom was rationing out broccoli stems... two for each person.  Two potato wedges each.

I was aghast.  I guess I still am.

On 5/9/2017 at 11:21 PM, Dandruff said:

The Duggar diet has seemed especially repellent to me, though some of it might be personal bias:  I hate pickles and would probably eat roadkill before JB's barbecue tuna sandwich.  There's also uncooked ramen, babies being fed cold food out of cans, processed soups, casseroles made with processed soups, processed cheese...and have we ever seen a Duggar drink a glass of 100% fruit juice?

OTOH, they're not foraging for food in or near a swamp.

None of those things are bad on occasion.   A favorite cheap and quick mean in this house is a couple boxes of mac and cheese, toss in a couple cans of tuna, and a can of cream of broccoli soup.  Salty as hell, but tasty on nights we feel like eating bad.  And not more than 1 night a month.  And my older kid doesn't like some foods heated, like spaghetti o's, and I like corn cold.  Uncooked ramen was the shiznit when I was in high school, and processed soups are what I live on when sick.

But the Duggars.  Have those kids ever eaten fresh produce?  Or use a plate that wasn't paper.  Or have something not loaded with starch?

On 8/8/2017 at 3:52 PM, ILoveJellybeans said:

The Duggars have produced a lot of kids who don't have the healthiest eating habits. Apparently Ben was surprised when he started living with Jessa, at the speed she devours food...apparently you have to eat fast in the Duggar compound, because if you don't it will be gone.

http://wtffundiefamilies.tumblr.com/post/163052473204/okay-i-get-that-theyre-joking-around-butif

I joke that with two older brothers I had to eat fast if I wanted seconds... but it was a joke, and if I wanted more and we were out of whatever was served there was usually plenty of cereal and peanut butter and whatnot in the house. I'm not sure if they had that option.

@MarblesMom  My MIL is the queen of not eating and serving meals so tiny that there isn't enough to go around if you eat more than 2 forkfuls of anything.

When Mr Dress and I were dating, we spent the weekend with his parents at their beach house so they could "get to know me better".  Mr. Dress warned me about her not eating fetish, but he didn't go far enough.

We arrived late on Friday night, having missed dinner because of the flight.  There was nothing, not even snacks, to eat,  I drank some water.  

Saturday morning "breakfast" was either coffee or hot tea (no milk, no sugar), no food.

Sat lunch didn't happen because we were sightseeing and his parents didn't want to stop to eat.

Sat night we were going to a reception at some historic house, hors d'oeuvres provided.  I thought we'd eat afterwards. HA!  My dinner was 3 cheeses straws and a piece of stuffed celery.   There were no dinner reservations.  Back to the beach house -- nothing, no snacks.  I drank 2 glasses of water.  Tea/coffee were only for breakfast. 

Sunday morning breakfast the same as Sat.  

Finally... Mr Dress' mother cooked Sunday lunch.  It was one lb of  grilled fish (no seasoning) between 5 people (his aunt was also there for the weekend).  Each of us received a piece about 2 x 2 so I think there were left overs.  Additionally there was 1 small sized plain boiled potato each and 5 (count 'em 5) steamed snow pea pods each. And a 1/4 glass of white wine.

Late Sunday afternoon Mr Dress' father drove us to the airport and dropped us off. As he pulled away. we literally ran to the nearest food vendor and ordered cheese nachos, hot dogs and chips, and 2 large Cokes (real Coke).  The nachos were disgusting, stale with some nasty viscous orange stuff purporting to be melted cheese, The hot dogs had been under a heat lamp for days. The only decent stuff was the bagged chips and the drinks. No matter.  It was all manna from heaven.  We inhaled the gross food.

From then on, whenever we were with his parents, we either had a car in order to go eat ourselves, or Mr. Dress drove so us all around and made sure to stop for lunch.  We took to insisting on dinner out so his mother "didn't have to cook".  Interestingly, both of his parents would always chow down if someone else was paying the restaurant bill.  These people were multi-millionaires, but cheap. Really, really cheap, And stingy -- in spirit and in living/ giving. But not fundie in the least.  They went to the socially prominent church in their town for appearance sake

His mother's no food fetish was the reason 6 ft tall Mr. Dress weighed 115 when he went to college and gained 15 lbs his 1st semester. She put him on a diet over Christmas break because he'd "gotten fat".  Sometime in college he told her to back off with the food weirdness.

Even now, although he is long since a grown man (and a normal size) she will make some passive-aggressive remark abut how he's gotten so "heavy".

11 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

These people were multi-millionaires, but cheap. Really, really cheap, And stingy -- in spirit and in living/ giving.

I think we might have the same in laws.  Seriously.

@MarblesMom Maybe we do :)  I hate to think there are 2 sets of people like that out in the world.  it has been ..... um...... interesting dealing with them. Fortunately Mr Dress isn't very close with them and we don't live close to them at all. 

The ironic thing is that my MIL, for all her not eating and being a tiny, bird-like, scrawny, wizened woman, has astronomically high blood pressure her doctor cannot get under control.  I understand he's tried everything and nothing works for long.  It will go down to merely very high under a new drug, but then soar back up through the stratosphere for no apparent reason.

Mr Dress, for all her snarking about being heavy (he's not), has blood pressure on the low side of optimal/ normal.

She is a stroke waiting to happen.   

On 8/11/2017 at 10:36 AM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

@MarblesMom  My MIL is the queen of not eating and serving meals so tiny that there isn't enough to go around if you eat more than 2 forkfuls of anything

This was my dad's mother but it didn't have anything to do with weight issues. She just didn't cook and didn't keep food in the house. In order to serve any food, she literally went to the grocery store at least once a day, sometimes twice.  My grandpa had his own stash of junk food which no one was allowed to touch and he lived on that. After he died, we discovered she had her own stash. So the two of them lived off of their separate hidden piles of Little Debbie snack cakes, chips and candy. 

We called their house "weight loss camp". We lived 900-1100 miles away for the entire time I was growing up and would spend a week there in the summer and usually one holiday a year (Thanksgiving most often, never Christmas). Breakfast was always a piece of toast or some fig newtons (one or two each). There was rarely lunch. One of our collective appalled and starved memories was the time she served Campbell's tomato soup and salad for lunch. She used one small can of soup and made a salad in a single serving salad bowl expecting  that to be divided between seven people --four adults, a teenage boy and two pre-teens.  Sometimes, when we had a car there (when we drove out instead of flying) my dad would sneak us out to McDonald's which was the only restaurant in town back then. One memorable trip, we had stopped to see my maternal aunt and uncle on the way there and my aunt had sent us off with a bread bag of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. My parents stashed them in the trunk in a cooler and we all looked for excuses to get far away enough in the car to get and eat cookies. Dinner was basically non-existent, unless we had a car there and my mother lost it and went and got food to make herself--but my grandma would bitch and moan at her for days when she did that. My dad usually managed to talk them into letting him order a pizza at least one night and when grandpa was alive, he'd take us all out to dinner at least once. And one aunt would feed us at her house when she could. A lot of the time in summers, my brother would just go stay at her house so he could eat, but she had six boys and that wasn't the best option for me. It got ten times worse after our grandpa died, too.

@louisa05 Oh yes the hidden food stash.

Mr. Dress told me his mother had a hidden stash of Pepperidge Farms Mint Milanos and Snickers bars that he found as a teenager.  He's not sure if his dad had a stash also, but thinks it possible.  My MIL cooked (or used to before the retirement community), but kept very little food in the house so there was no foraging in the fridge for her 2 sons.

Mr. Dress tells me that growing up when he was too hungry to sleep he learned to creep downstairs late at night, avoiding all the creaking stairs and scavenged dry Grape Nuts cereal  --generic version (only kind his mother bought) .  He never used milk as the only kind my MIL ever bought was the  dry powdered skim milk (generic). Which is basically white water.

Mr. Dress was saved  from semi malnutrition by the elderly childless couple next door who treated him like a grandchild.  Mrs Z was always baking him cookies or banana bread, and he ate lunch with them several times a week and every Sat & Sun. He said this mother didn't care as it meant she could buy less food and cook even smaller meals.

Fortunately Mr. Dress didn't internalize his mother's food weirdness. Unfortunately his brother did and perpetrated it on his daughter. Aided by his wife who's idea of a meal is 3 bites of something and 3 large glasses of wine. She is as tiny, scrawny and birdlike as my MIL. Wizened is in her future as she ages. And yes my BIL also has as secret stash of Pepperidge Farms cookies.

Edited to add:  My MIL's food issues are partly weight related. although she has been thin her entire life and no one in her family has ever been even slightly overweight. The other part is her extreme cheapness, even though her family growing up was very well off.   Again my ILs are multi-millionaires so the cheapness was not because they had to be frugal. They sent both sons to expensive colleges and traveled alot, but generally lived as if they were broke.  When not at work my FIL dressed like a homeless person. 

I suppose it's nice to have millionaire ILs, but as they have never given Mr Dress and I a dime, I don't know from experience.

On 8/11/2017 at 8:36 AM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Interestingly, both of his parents would always chow down if someone else was paying the restaurant bill.  These people were multi-millionaires, but cheap.

Well, I guess that's one way they stayed wealthy? But seriously, that sounds really tasteless (pun not intended)!

On 8/10/2017 at 10:33 PM, Jug Band Baby said:

But the Duggars.  Have those kids ever eaten fresh produce?

Pickles? They've definitely emphasized using more "real" foods over time (some of the more recent cooking-related clips have had fresh produce in them at least). But if you look back to the earlier specials, it definitely seemed like it wasn't common. 

On 2017-08-11 at 5:36 PM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

These people were multi-millionaires, but cheap. Really, really cheap, And stingy -- in spirit and in living/ giving. But not fundie in the least.  They went to the socially prominent church in their town for appearance sake

My father always said that a rich man doesn't have to offer a rich table if he has a party but a poor man must as that is his only way to party. He grew up poor but ended up middle class, at least when it comes to money, he was an Al Czervik of Caddyshack to most people who weren't our relatives. He had few friends among other businessmen and our neighbors who were mostly people who had grown up middle class or better from the start. He was extremely generous to people who really needed help and food was one of those things that we always had. With that said, we did suffer some of the large family things anyway. Most of us eat very fast and most of us can't leave a bowl of candy on the table without eating from it until it is gone. I remember mom hiding some things from us like candy or baking supplies. She grew up even poorer than dad and I think that it might partly have been due to that but also that it was damn annoying to come home and find the children having eaten all the baking chocolate when it was bought to make a certain cake or so. Both my parents died way too young and god how I miss them typing this out.

Archived