IGNORED

Low carb, high fat (for diabetics)

EmmieJ

So I'm newly diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and figured there must be others here. It's only been 2 weeks so I haven't been able to attend any meetings in my city yet. 

Anyone with tips to resources online or personal experience that is willing to share?

There's a thread for low carb, high fat recipes.

• 2 weeks later...

Green Giant now has riced cauliflower in the frozen food section if you don't want to buy a food processor. 

For me, cauliflower is my least favorite vegetable. And I hate substituting it and pretending it's rice or pizza crust. But if i just eat riced cauliflower as, like a side to some chicken and vegetables (where the rice would go) it's fine. It's just not rice or pizza crust. 

On 8/28/2017 at 4:11 PM, TeaGrannie said:

So I'm newly diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and figured there must be others here. It's only been 2 weeks so I haven't been able to attend any meetings in my city yet. 

Anyone with tips to resources online or personal experience that is willing to share?

I'm sorry about the diagnosis.  It's a pain in the ass to deal with.  I don't have it, but my husband is Type 2.  We only have one teen in the house now and he's never around these days so I Iive it with him.  

I forget what my husband's exact A1C was when diagnosed, but it was bad.  Thin guy all his life, but his eating habits and family history conspired against him.

The first thing I can tell you is you can have normal blood sugar if you are willing to re-work your diet entirely.  Do not follow the guidelines of the American Diabetes Association.  Regardless of what they'll tell you, you need to get your A1C in the 5's - as close to normal as possible.  

Eat according to thee glycemic index  and in the early weeks and months test your blood sugar one hour and two hours after eating so you know how foods impact you sugar level.   With patience and practice, in a couple of months you will see your numbers plunge.  Keep it up and you will be able to maintain normal or near normal levels for a very long time - if not forever.   

@Maggie Mae thanks for the tip I will check the frozen section :)

@JenniferJuniper thank you. I seem to be lucky and caught it early. I'm hoping with Metformin and diet I can get it under control and eventually use diet alone. I'm already seeing small successes, losing some weight will help too I'm sure.

Archived