IGNORED

Hey, hey, hey, Goodbye! - the effort to turn the House

VelociRapture

This thread is dedicated to resources and links to help the effort to turn the U.S. House of Reps blue!

https://swingleft.org/

Swing Left was mentioned previously on here. Enter your zip code to find the nearest swing district to you. You can take a variety of actions like volunteering or donating to the opponent's campaign.

Running List of Vulnerable Seats -

Bruce Poliquin (ME-02)

Daniel Donovan (NY-11)

John Faso (NY-19)

Claudia Tenney (NY-22)

John Katko (NY-24)

Leonard Lance (NJ-07)

Ryan Costello (PA-06)

That's all I have time for now. You can use the map on their website to find more - both parties have vulnerable districts, so some people may want to help out in vulnerable blue districts instead.

I don't think (unfortunately) my district is even remotely "swing" -- but can we please oust Warren Davidson from Ohio's 8th district (John Boehner's old district).

I passionately disliked Boehner. Now I feel like I owe Boehner several apologies. Boehner was downright centrist and reasonable compared to what we have now. And it is completely obvious why Boehner, suddenly out of the blue, said enough, I'm outa here.

Davidson's FB is downright disgusting with its far-right, we're the greatest, MAGA, crap.

(Oh, an aside, not congressional, but we also have THIS jerk https://twitter.com/butlersheriff?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author  who spends more time supporting and working for Trump than he does actually being sheriff). I have no words.

Apologies for being slightly off-topic.

@apple1No apologies needed! Vent as much as you need about the asshats! :)

And of course we can count Davidson even if he isn't vulnerable. Same with other Republicans who have made a big name for themselves as massive assholes - like Daniel Webster or Paul Ryan.

Updated Running List of Vulnerable Seats -

Bruce Poliquin (ME-02)

Daniel Donovan (NY-11)

John Faso (NY-19)

Claudia Tenney (NY-22)

John Katko (NY-24)

Leonard Lance (NJ-07)

Ryan Costello (PA-06)

Patrick Meehan (PA-07)

Brian Fitzpatrick (PA-08)

Lloyd Smucker (PA-16)

Scott Taylor (VA-02)

Barbara Comstock (VA-10)

George Holding (NC-02)

Ted Budd (NC-13)

*Special election race* (GA-06) - Get Ossoff elected!

Martha Roby (AL-02)

Dennis Ross (FL-15)

Brian Mast (FL-18)

Carlos Curbelo (FL-26)

Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (FL-27) 

Tim Walberg (MI-07)

David Trott (MI-11)

Trey Hollingsworth (IN-09)

Peter Roskam (IL-06)

Mike Bost (IL-12)

Rod Blum (IA-01)

David Young (IA-03)

Jason Lewis (MN-02)

Erik Paulsen (MN-03)

Don Bacon (NE-02)

Kevin Yoder (KS-03)

John Culberson (TX-07)

Will Hurd (TX-23)

Pete Sessions (TX-32) 

Scott Tipton (CO-03)

Mike Coffman (CO-06)

*Special Election race (MT-AL) - elect Rob Quist May 25th

Mia Love (UT-04)

Martha McSally (AZ-02)

Dave Reichert (WA-08)

Jeff Denham (CA-10)

David Valadao (CA-21)

Stephen Knight (CA-25)

Ed Royce (CA-39)

Mimi Walters (CA-45)

Dana Rohrabacher (CA-48)

Darrell Issa (CA-49) - the smug asshole with the broken leg

Don Young (AK-AL)

Honorable Mentions:

Warren Davidson (OH-8) - added because he makes @apple1angry and that makes me le sad.

Paul Ryan (WI-01) - because he's a spineless asshole who spearheaded this travesty.

Daniel Webster (FL-10) - because Gothard and IBLP and Freedom Caucus scumbags. And because I hate him.

Underlined Names - Representatives that voted no on the bill.

Bolded Names - Representatives who voted yes. FOCUS ON THESE FIRST!

Pretty sure I got them all. At least it's a start. Feel free to copy and share this wherever!

Heh, @VelociRapture, I was still writing a comment about Will Hurd (TX-23), when you posted again. :pb_lol:

I will give Rep. Hurd credit for voting against the AHCA bill yesterday, but I still want a Democrat hold that seat. He won his race in 2016 by just over 1%, so I honestly think he voted against the AHCA bill because he's scared of losing in 2018.

My district is completely hopeless, so I will direct my efforts to helping out TX-23.

----------------

I read an article yesterday about how she's not going to run again, and now the Republicans are getting really scared that they will lose that seat. :twisted:

CA-49 (Darryl Issa) 

Got my first email from the democrat running for his seat yesterday! I don't live in the district, but according to swing left it is the closest red district to me. Glad to see the dems are already working towards unseating the a**hole.

Erik Paulsen (MN-03) also voted yes. He is my parents' representative and he is awful. He talks a moderate game but has an extremely conservative voting record. 90% of the comments on his facebook page were constituents telling him to vote no, people protested outside his office, and my mom and friends called over and over again. Did he give any shits? No. He has refused to hold town halls because he knows most of his constituents are angry about his decidedly unmoderate votes.

He keeps getting voted back in election after election because people think he's middle of the road and don't pay close enough attention. I hope people will get mad enough to finally vote him out in 2018. It will be hard because his district is composed of some pretty wealthy suburbs, but the people in the area are generally more liberal on social issues. I know my mother will be actively campaigning against him.

6 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

My district is completely hopeless, so I will direct my efforts to helping out TX-23.

----------------

I read an article yesterday about how she's not going to run again, and now the Republicans are getting really scared that they will lose that seat. :twisted:

I live in Connecticut - my closest swing district is NY-19. I think Faso and I are going to be very good friends. :twisted: 

And I almost didn't want to put Ileana down. She's been a very outspoken advocate for the Transgender community because of her son and I respect her for that. Glad to see she's leaving on her own because I would have felt a bit guilty having her job focused on.

@zygote373Thanks! I edited the list to reflect Paulsen's vote.

The Kansas side of the KC Metro area needs to do something about Yoder (KS - 03).  And yes -it is possible for the KS 3rd congressional district to go to a Democratic party member.  it has happened before.

The closest to me is Jeff Denham (CA-10) who voted yes (so shouldn't it be bolded?).

Ok. I've picked John Faso as one of the Reps I'm targeting. I'm thinking my second will be one of the following:

Darrell Issa (he barely won last time)

Daniel Webster (because I HATE him and don't care if he's not vulnerable!)

Bruce Poliquin (because I don't know how many people will actually focus on him.)

10 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

The closest to me is Jeff Denham (CA-10) who voted yes (so it be bolded?). So how exactly do I help a district I don't live in?

Edited to bold his name. Thanks!

If you go on swingleft.org and enter your zip code it'll tell you the closest district - if you scroll down it'll list ways you can help out, even if you live out of the district. For instance, my plan at the moment is to donate a small amount each month to one of the Funds in the Districts I've selected. I'll alternate each month which gets the money.

Personally, I can't do much more than that because baby. But I'll likely also be keeping a close eye on my State's Gubernatorial race. Malloy isn't seeking reelection, so it could be a real tossup on who wins.

You can also use social media to spread the news about swingleft.org or to focus on that specific district election. If you live close enough, you can volunteer in person.

As a foreigner I want to say thank you to all those who are pouring their time and resources to put a leash on the orange monster. He potentially can be a true menace to the whole world (as much as or even worse than GWB). Since we can't do much to control his power if he is backed by Congress, that the sane people take back the majority is essential. Anyway I feel some consolation seeing that even in the most favourable scenario (precidency and both chambers majority) he is accomplishing very little. Blessed be his ineptitude, until someone smarter than Twitler will manipulate him into consistently and efficiently following an agenda. This is my worst worry since he is surrounded by sharks cleverer than him. But I hope his ginormous ego will prompt him to not to trust anyone too much, as already happened with Bannon.

Anyway: thank you!

Signed a peace loving foreigner whose country cannot afford to increase military spending just because Trump says we should.

Dana Rohrabacher (CA-48)

This asshole will be a bit difficult to unseat because the district he's in is in one of the reddest counties in the state, Orange County. Recently, they even had a large pro Cheeto Mussolini rally in Huntington Beach which is part of that district, so this one will be an uphill battle in 2018.

I think Sean Patrick Maloney has a really good idea here!

So I would suggest to you all to ask the democratic rep's in districts where the DOH rep won't/doesn't hold town halls, to hold them instead. 

6 hours ago, fraurosena said:

I think Sean Patrick Maloney has a really good idea here!

So I would suggest to you all to ask the democratic rep's in districts where the DOH rep won't/doesn't hold town halls, to hold them instead. 

That's an amazing idea.  Maybe it would finally make people realize that the dems are least trying to do the right thing most of the time, and how the repubs keep screwing them over on purpose

Thanks @VelociRapture. This bill is very personal for me. A good friend of mine's mother has Huntington's disease, and about a year ago my friend found out she has it too. They really need the preexisting conditions protections. 

8 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

Thanks @VelociRapture. This bill is very personal for me. A good friend of mine's mother has Huntington's disease, and about a year ago my friend found out she has it too. They really need the preexisting conditions protections. 

You're welcome.

Pretty much everyone has some sort of preexisting condition. Hell, my daughter had a heart murmur at birth. It healed on its own (thankfully), but it's documented in her records - so my five month old technically has a preexisting condition.

And because I had her and a miscarriage, I have a preexisting condition as well - thanks Gynoticians! Pregnancy should totally count - as should infertility! And you know, you're right. Women should pay for their Devil pills and sinful IUDs themselves. And if they can't afford it they just shouldn't have sex, but if they do and they get pregnant no abortions and no prenatal care! :angry-screaming:

I doubt most people (like my baby) will have their coverage revoked because insurance companies want to make money. They'll just jack our rates up and deny coverage to those who truly need it, like your friend and her mother. It's wrong on so many levels and I get so angry thinking about it. Between this, attacks on the LGBTQ community, rolling back environmental protections, Jeff "Police Brutality is a BLM Lie and the Confederacy Will Rise Again!" Sessions, Stephen "Breitbart" Bannon.... I honestly don't know how much more I can take without losing all cool completely.

The Government has never been perfect and has always had issues, especially in their treatment of minorities. But this administration has gone above and beyond anything we've seen for at least a hundred years in the ferocity of their attacks be in be wide range of targets they've had. It's disgusting and ridiculous. I can't just sit around ignoring it because most of it doesn't affect me directly. Participating here at least makes me feel like I'm staying up to date on things.

20 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I'm sorry about your friend and her mother. They also need the ACA's protection against yearly and lifetime maximums. I remember when my insurance had a million dollar maximum. One co-worker said that would cover everything one could ever need in the health arena. After I explained the expenses of a single round of cancer, she was shocked, and never again tried to say that a million dollars would cover everything.

29 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I'm sorry about your friend and her mother. They also need the ACA's protection against yearly and lifetime maximums. I remember when my insurance had a million dollar maximum. One co-worker said that would cover everything one could ever need in the health arena. After I explained the expenses of a single round of cancer, she was shocked, and never again tried to say that a million dollars would cover everything.

Yes - and likewise, a very premature neonate could reach that maximum within the first couple months of life.

On 5/7/2017 at 8:03 PM, apple1 said:

Yes - and likewise, a very premature neonate could reach that maximum within the first couple months of life.

Absolutely. I've shared this before, but my daughter's NICU bill was between $65,000 and $70,000... she was only there for a week and wasn't even that bad off all things considered. There are parents who literally never got out of debt prior to the ACA, simply because they gave the ok for Doctors to save the life for their child. That's fucked up on so many levels.

Archived