IGNORED

Kansas Archbishop has it in for the Girl Scouts

47of74

Todays' WTF moment brought to you by Archbishop Joseph Naumann of Kansas...

leftwingnation.org/kansas-archbishop-warns-his-bishops-to-be-wary-of-pesky-girl-scouts/

Apparently, the Girl Scouts are just too corrupt for one archbishop in Kansas. Archbishop Joseph Naumann has asked pastors in his archdiocese to start transitioning away from hosting parish Girl Scout troops. He believes that programs held at their parishes should affirm their core beliefs. All of that is well and good, and it is certainly their prerogative, but it’s not as though girl scout leaders are taking little girls out in the woods to teach them witchcraft over bubbling cauldrons.

He made his announcement on Facebook, and it reads in part:

To follow Jesus and his Gospel will often require us to be counter-cultural. With the promotion by Girl Scouts USA (GSUSA) of programs and materials reflective of many of the troubling trends in our secular culture, they are no longer a compatible partner in helping us form young women with the virtues and values of the Gospel. We prefer to partner with youth organizations that share our values and vision for youth ministry, not ones that we have to monitor constantly to protect our children from being misled and misinformed.

Counter-cultural is just a nicer way of saying “disapproving” – which was the real word of Jesus, dontcha know?

9 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Todays' WTF moment brought to you by Archbishop Joseph Naumann of Kansas...

leftwingnation.org/kansas-archbishop-warns-his-bishops-to-be-wary-of-pesky-girl-scouts/

Those heathen girl scouts are taught to be prepared for the challenges of life and to have healthy self-esteem. Burn 'em! :pb_rollseyes:

My theory is this Archbishop just doesn't want the competition for fundraising dollars as every parish with a school has assorted fundraisers each year where students are required to go out into their communities and sell stuff. In my time it was chocolate bars. I could sell the heck out of both Catholic high school "horse glue" chocolate bars and earlier in my life Blue Birds/Campfire mints and cookies. 

I suppose this means I am going to hell for thrift shopping with the Methodists who run the best thrift shop in about 30 miles to help support their elder care home? 

Seriously Archbishop if a social service group, even a non-Catholic group is doing effective work in the world helping others, are they not in fact promoting Jesus most basic teachings and values? You know those you are so concerned about instilling in your own Catholic youth?

Having worked for an Archbishop in the distant past, I can assure all my fellow heathens that petty politics really do get this bad in regional chanceries. I got reprimanded for pitching an episode idea for a local Catholic TV show that was actually produced. It centered on a particular nun from my high school days. The Archbishop at the time got pissed off because the order of nuns who ran the school were "independent" and he only wanted the program to showcase Archdiocesan clergy.  (I have never come across an order of nuns who were affiliated with a particular Archdiocese.) So read that reprimand as only showcasing his MALE clergy in HIS Archdiocese. Never mind it was one of the highest rated episodes in the history of the show. 

I am also wondering if this particular Archdiocese might have a capital campaign going on right now?

So yeah. I am calling Archbishop Naumann on his grifting for Jesus ploy. Nice cover to use the kids as decoys. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/7/2017 at 6:58 PM, Phoenix said:

My theory is this Archbishop just doesn't want the competition for fundraising dollars as every parish with a school has assorted fundraisers each year where students are required to go out into their communities and sell stuff. In my time it was chocolate bars. I could sell the heck out of both Catholic high school "horse glue" chocolate bars and earlier in my life Blue Birds/Campfire mints and cookies. 

I suppose this means I am going to hell for thrift shopping with the Methodists who run the best thrift shop in about 30 miles to help support their elder care home? 

Seriously Archbishop if a social service group, even a non-Catholic group is doing effective work in the world helping others, are they not in fact promoting Jesus most basic teachings and values? You know those you are so concerned about instilling in your own Catholic youth?

Having worked for an Archbishop in the distant past, I can assure all my fellow heathens that petty politics really do get this bad in regional chanceries. I got reprimanded for pitching an episode idea for a local Catholic TV show that was actually produced. It centered on a particular nun from my high school days. The Archbishop at the time got pissed off because the order of nuns who ran the school were "independent" and he only wanted the program to showcase Archdiocesan clergy.  (I have never come across an order of nuns who were affiliated with a particular Archdiocese.) So read that reprimand as only showcasing his MALE clergy in HIS Archdiocese. Never mind it was one of the highest rated episodes in the history of the show. 

I am also wondering if this particular Archdiocese might have a capital campaign going on right now?

So yeah. I am calling Archbishop Naumann on his grifting for Jesus ploy. Nice cover to use the kids as decoys. 

Yeah some of these upper echelon types in the church are really full of themselves.

Meanwhile where I live retired Archbishop Daniel Kucera who had confirmed me had died the other day.  He really was a nice guy.  As people can probably tell I have many issues with the Catholic church, but I have nothing but good memories of Archbishop Kucera.   Guys like Jenky, Naumann, and Olmstead really should have followed Kucera's example instead of trying out for culture warrior of the year award.

Archived