IGNORED

Seewalds 22 - Funerals and Embryo Cake

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben is sweet and all, but to me it seems he has about 30 years to go before language like this is age appropriate. Also, Ben, your wife knows you are saved and what it means to you, so there is no need to preach at her in a personal note. Unless of course this was not written for her but for the unbelievers on the internet and Mother's Day is just another excuse for a sermon.

But one thing I have to give Ben. He does seem to realize he is lucky. And he is, with two healthy kids and a devoted wife. Hope he takes care of them well.

Off topic, but I was wondering when Jessa's speaking engagement in Ohio is, in relation to Joy's impending wedding and Jill's childbirth, and I fell into a rabbit hole (with lots of Alice characters).  I found the Facebook pages for the church, and boy, there are a lot of unhappy people with the invitation to Jessa. They could be from Pickles or FJ, but there are a lot of negative reviews, complaining about the hypocrisy of Jessa speaking on dressing modestly, since she was all about skin tight during pregnancy. And also lots of complaints about the molestation handing. 

The youth group page is "heavenly highway tabernacle" and the main church is Calvery Tabernacle in Middletown, Ohio. 

Also, I have a question...why is she speaking at a Pentecostal church? This is a speaking in tongues, holy spirit, Tent revival, snakes, and denim skirts worship.  I thought the Duggars and most fundies were Baptist. 

Oh and people are mad that the church is charging a fee to hear her speak.  I am assuming the church is doing that to cover her travel expenses.  From the pictures and videos they post, the church doesn't seem heavily attended...So probably not a big budget for speakers. 

@Dubiousclaire,  most pentecostals are not into snake handling or drinking poisons.  Those practices are restricted to a tiny minority of people/churches in Appalachia (Tennessee, Kentucky, the Carolinas, Georgia and West Virginia), Indiana and four churches in  Alberta and British Columbia of the holiness-pentecostal persuasion..  This should not be confused with the Pentecostal Holiness Church.  (Sorry about exporting this craziness, Canada!) 

Snake handling

There's a video of Spurgeon playing with a toy dog on Jessa's Instagram story right now (The one that disappears after 24hrs)

I can't resist the Spud charm. It's making me want to have kids. :my_dodgy:

As a single, 23 year old female that's still at University, somebody please tell my body to calm down because as cute as that kid is, I haven't got the resources to fulfil this. 

Seriously though, that kid keeps getting cuter and cuter. 

On 5/15/2017 at 7:09 PM, Rachel333 said:

I always have a hard time reading Ben's writing. Something about it just makes me cringe.

He just sounds condescending and martyr-y at the same time. He's the physical definition of fundie 'mansplaining'.

@PennySycamore I have a convoluted, by marriage, relation to a Pentecostal pastor (my husband's step mother's nieces husband). They are a "modern" church, but still do the holy spirit worship (redemption Christian tabernacle in ohio, you can watch videos online...I fear he is having a stroke preaching). They have tent revivals in the summer, and have snake handlers. The church Jessa is speaking at seems more "traditional". 

Anyway...I thought about going there as a spy, but 1, I could not contain the eye rolling and laughter, 2, it's summer and I would want to wear shorts, 3, I would probably burst into flames upon walking in the front door. 

On 5/15/2017 at 7:09 PM, Rachel333 said:

I always have a hard time reading Ben's writing. Something about it just makes me cringe.

Romantic and douchebag are not a good mix.  Especially given his writing skills.

God’s greatest blessing upon me has been His grace in saving me from His wrath, taking my place on the cross, and showering me with His love by adopting me as a son and heir.

Is it me, or does this sound a tad delusional?

4 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Is it me, or does this sound a tad delusional?

That's just basic conservative evangelical Christianese. They all talk like that. The girls call themselves princesses because God is their daddy and he's the King. Which doesn't really answer the question of whether or not it's delusional, I know. But it's not unique.

@Dubiousclaire,  good grief!  I didn't know there was a snake handling church in Ohio.  I had assumed that it was mostly confined to the hollers of Southern Appalachia.   Of course, there are a number of emigres ("briars") from the hollers of southeastern Kentucky in Ohio.  Dwight Yoakum didn't write about "Readin' and Writin' and Route 23" for nothing.

@PennySycamore, Middletown, Ohio, is less than an hour from the Kentucky border. There is a large steel factory there that has drawn lots of folks from Kentucky.  And apparently there is a whole traveling preacher circuit for tent revivals. 

@Dubiousclaire Their speaking engagements are -

June 16-17: Ben speaks at the Evangelism Reform Conference at the Texas Star Conference Center. Also featuring Voddie Baucham. Fun times. $40 for individuals, $60 for couples, and $100 for families.

June 24: Jessa does the whole fashionably modest bullshit at Heavenly Highway Tabernacle in Ohio. For females ages 9 and up. $20 admission includes lunch and a meet and greet with Jessa.

Jill is due to give birth in early July. She went late with her first, so I would say it's possible (if not likely) that she'll go late again. 

Joy seems to be getting married very soon. I had originally guessed May 27, but Pickles is reporting May 20 (this Saturday.) We'll find out soon enough.

Jessa might be the most dangerous Duggar. She's so likable. She's a loving mother, and her boys are adorable.  The way Ben talks though proves they still have harmful views. So yeah, very dangerous.

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

@Dubiousclaire- sorry, can't work out how to loose the tag (I'm on tablet currently)

June 16-17: Ben speaks... $40 for individuals, $60 for couples, and $100 for families.

June 24: Jessa... $20 admission includes lunch and a meet and greet with Jessa.

Okay, so we know of old that the fundie world does not value women, but even as a dwelling IRL woman, this level of disparity in pay between an equally 'qualified' male and female speaker is depressingly 'normal' and irksome.

2 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

Okay, so we know of old that the fundie world does not value women, but even as a dwelling IRL woman, this level of disparity in pay between an equally 'qualified' male and female speaker is depressingly 'normal' and irksome.

But on the men's meeting you get Voddie too, right? So double misery means double fees. Personally I cannot watch more than 30 seconds of Ben on YT because I feel so embarrassed for him (if that makes sense). I keep thinking how he would feel if he saw this twenty years down the line (if he ever grows out of it). To sit through an hour of that, they would really have to pay me, and a lot more than $40.

@Dubiousclaire I have to call schannannigans on snake handlers flying under the radar in Rick Jones' Butler County. 

ETA: Although I do wonder if it's possible to see if the church has permits for venomous snakes...

2 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

But on the men's meeting you get Voddie too, right? So double misery means double fees. Personally I cannot watch more than 30 seconds of Ben on YT because I feel so embarrassed for him (if that makes sense). I keep thinking how he would feel if he saw this twenty years down the line (if he ever grows out of it). To sit through an hour of that, they would really have to pay me, and a lot more than $40.

Voddie plus two other guys who I've never heard of. So four times the misogyny and hate for that low, low price.

7 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

Jessa might be the most dangerous Duggar. She's so likable. She's a loving mother, and her boys are adorable.  The way Ben talks though proves they still have harmful views. So yeah, very dangerous.

Jessa and I think Jeremy/Jinger are the most dangerous. Jessa has the cute boys and is a good mother, that's what people see. Jeremy and Jinger are cute, despite all the hate he's spewing. Hopefully people don't get sucked in by that bullshit. 

I couldn't read past the first sentence of Ben's ode to Jessa before I tuned out.

I can't imagine paying $40-100 to listen to some twenty something dude (is he even 25 yet? Too lazy to look it up) with basically no life experience talk about anything. Nope, sorry.

(Not trying to say that being married and having kids counts for nothing, but it's not exactly a unique accomplishment.)

9 minutes ago, ak1188 said:

I can't imagine paying $40-100 to listen to some twenty something dude (is he even 25 yet? Too lazy to look it up) with basically no life experience talk about anything. Nope, sorry.

(Not trying to say that being married and having kids counts for nothing, but it's not exactly a unique accomplishment.)

Well, actually Ben and the other Duggar kiddults have lots of unusual  life experiences that could be interesting  to hear about. (How does it feel sharing a house with a brother who molested you? How do you deal  with arguments if camera's are around? How do you make sure non-family friends respect your privacy? How do your in-laws deal with your fame? And so on.)

But they will stick to the script. They will say nothing unexpected and all their (very limited)  viewpoints on relationship, parenting and Christianity are sufficiently known. We could make a bingo card with a box for all the things they will say and have every box checked within minutes. 

Modesty

walk through

servant heart

Tacos for life

precious

blessing

waiting for the Lord

this stage of life

home schooling

special time

ministry

marriage

buy used

inner beauty

purity

courtship

auhority

J O Y

submission

babies

Did I miss anything?

Remember Jon and Kate used to do the Church circuit and received "love offering" from the passing of the plate, in addition to the speaking fee. IIRC, they were making good bank from those events.

On 2017-5-13 at 4:16 AM, Mela99 said:

Might just be the fact that Binjermin annoys the piss out of me, but he was not a cute baby ... 

He kind of reminds me of my nephew, who right now looks essentially like a smiling potato :pb_lol:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived