IGNORED

Seewalds 22 - Funerals and Embryo Cake

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, bal maiden said:

"Flyover states"? Didn't we just have a drama about that earlier in this thread, or was that another Duggar thread. Anyway...

I don't think it's unreasonable for a mother to want her placenta for whatever reason she chooses (even if that reason is kind of gross to many), and I do think it's unreasonable for a hospital to appropriate it as their property. At least, not without some level of discussion. If some doctorly type wants to come and correct me that it's a dangerous thing for a patient to have, infectious waste or whatever, I am open to hearing the evidence, of course. But to be all 'lol silly woman, why does she want that, the hospital is right of course' starts to get into that much-debated-on-FJ territory of women's autonomy in birth choices vs All Obstetricians Know What's Best For All Pregnant Women All The Time. 

I wasn't trying to start a debate or insinuate that a woman doesn't deserve to take home her placenta. I was simply pointing out that it's now becoming an issue as more and more women are insisting on doing something with the placenta after birth. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, subsaharanafrica said:

Was Henry named after Samuel Wilberforce? I thought it was William (his father). That's what I get for making assumptions I guess. And here I was actually pleasantly surprised since William Wilberforce actually did something useful with his life in pushing for and bringing about the end of the slave trade in the British Empire. 

Oh well. At least I can still snicker over the fact that the actual Henry Wilberforce (William's son and Samuel's brother) converted to Catholicism. 

It might have been William. I just heard Wilberforce and got excited :P 

2 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

I thought about having it done last time. Yes, I admit it. I'd had some very mild PPD with the previous baby and wondered if it could be of help. Then a close friend who had moved out of state told me that she'd recently done it and it made her crazy and as soon as she stopped taking the capsules she felt better. It's a royal pain to get the hospital here to give you your placenta after a c-section and I wasn't totally sold on the idea anyway, so I moved on after hearing about my friend's experience. 

We use wild cherry bark and slippery elm for coughs and sore throats too ;-)

I banked placental tissue and the bank wanted the entire thing in a bag.  They didnt even blink cutting off 8 inches of cord, putting the blood in vials, and bagging the placenta and handing it to my husband to call the courier.  They didnt follow up to see if we ever gave it to the bank and we could have very easily sent off the blood and cord and kept the placenta, but I wanted to save it.

I probably wouldn't eat my placenta for the same reason I'm not wild about eating my own boogers, but is it true that you have to essentially buy it back from the hospital for a ridiculous amount of money if you want to keep it? That's the weirdest part to me.

14 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I'm the one who brought it up first. Sorry about that. Try something to settle your nerves? :wine:

It's OK you brought it up, thread drift goes in all directions on FJ, one must be ready for it! Besides, I could always use a glass of vino! Thanks!

8 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Also, would it be technically considered cannibalism?

Auto-cannibalism?

Hey everyone! Long time lurker but this is my first time posting in the Jessa threads. I figured the best way to introduce myself would be to tell you all about eating my placenta. :562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave:

I ate my placenta with my first and third babies. My husband forgot my placenta when I had our second (long story.) Anyway, my post partum depression, anxiety and ocd was WAY worse with the kid I didn't eat my placenta for. I know there aren't really any official studies on this, but I absolutely feel like it helped. I recommend it to everyone who is interested but I certainly get that it's not everybody's cup of tea. I ate mine raw in smoothies but I know a lot of women prefer capsules and it works just as well. 

3 minutes ago, Henk12 said:

Hey everyone! Long time lurker but this is my first time posting in the Jessa threads. I figured the best way to introduce myself would be to tell you all about eating my placenta. :562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave:

I ate my placenta with my first and third babies. My husband forgot my placenta when I had our second (long story.) Anyway, my post partum depression, anxiety and ocd was WAY worse with the kid I didn't eat my placenta for. I know there aren't really any official studies on this, but I absolutely feel like it helped. I recommend it to everyone who is interested but I certainly get that it's not everybody's cup of tea. I ate mine raw in smoothies but I know a lot of women prefer capsules and it works just as well. 

welcome!  again i think its  a personal thing.  but I would do it :D

The thing about eating your placenta vs not for me is the placebo effect. Do you really feel better? Or do you convince yourself that you do? Wouldn't be for me but whatever floats your boat. 

7 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

I probably wouldn't eat my placenta for the same reason I'm not wild about eating my own boogers, but is it true that you have to essentially buy it back from the hospital for a ridiculous amount of money if you want to keep it? That's the weirdest part to me.

I had a hospital midwife for my babies and I just told them I wanted it and they said "okay cool, you can keep it in the mini fridge in your room." I didn't have to buy it back. 

On 5/1/2017 at 5:02 PM, nst said:

Kourtney Kardashian did that apparently and Kim from RHOA had a shake and made her husband drink from it 

This is very random, but January Jones had her son's placenta put in capsules so she could consume it. Sorry I can't say "eat" and "placenta" in the same sentence.

I know two women that had their placenta encapsulated.

My friend,the one her unschools her children.She said she had loads of energy,much needed with 4 children.

The other knows the one above,and she is also my friend's daughter.When she told her mother her plans for her placenta,the first time,she also has 4,and is now expecting her 5th,her mother,my friend said..You are going to do what????Ugh!!!!

She also says she has energy and feels great.

19 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Auto-cannibalism?

Not really, the placenta is part of the baby, not the mother. But i honestly don't understand why anyone would do anything with that. It's not more beautiful than a human liver. It's an organ

21 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Not really, the placenta is part of the baby, not the mother. But i honestly don't understand why anyone would do anything with that. It's not more beautiful than a human liver. It's an organ

Well people do eat liver and organs... although this analysis does bring us back around to the auto cannibalism question (which I'm curious about as well). I'd totally eat my placenta if it wasn't inconvenient. I wish there were more studies done on it.

I'm inclined to think that the placenta, in this context, is more similar to human waste (since the body generally gets rid of it when no longer needed) than a human organ.

**shivers slightly**

Can one save placenta for their hair? I'd do that. *grabs and snuggles her lucious locks*

5 minutes ago, karen77 said:

People...I'm trying to eat lunch here!!!

I made the mistake of coming to this thread while eating. The expression on my face right now isn't cute lol

I can see why that for an animal, eating a placenta filled with lots of nutrients works great post birth when you don't feel like hunting down a meal. I personally would rather just eat some steak and spinach. 

Im not sold on the supposed benefits, but even if it is just placebo, if it makes a fresh mom feel better, then by all means down those placebo smoothies!! 

Just now, Pukingpearl said:

I can see why that for an animal, eating a placenta filled with lots of nutrients works great post birth when you don't feel like hunting down a meal. I personally would rather just eat some steak and spinach. 

Im not sold on the supposed benefits, but even if it is just placebo, if it makes a fresh mom feel better, then by all means down those placebo smoothies!! 

Steak and creamy spinach sounds so amazing right now. With a size of roasted potatoes. Wow I'm a fatass. I literally just finished my lunch :pb_lol:

30 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Steak and creamy spinach sounds so amazing right now. With a size of roasted potatoes. Wow I'm a fatass. I literally just finished my lunch :pb_lol:

I may have texted my husband to stop at Boston market on the way home and get me creamed spinach... 

A long time ago my ex sister-in-law and her husband got their placentas and planted a tree over each one. I noticed at a birthday party a few years later that firstborn's tree had died....I didn't mention it but thought to myself that it t might be some kind of weird karma.  The firstborn is okay btw. Evidently planting a placenta tree was a thing....?

36 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I may have texted my husband to stop at Boston market on the way home and get me creamed spinach... 

So jealous! It's so good.

I'm not sure which is worse, creamed spinach or placenta. I do know, however, that after reading this thread I won't be eating supper tonight.

51 minutes ago, Exposedknees said:

A long time ago my ex sister-in-law and her husband got their placentas and planted a tree over each one. I noticed at a birthday party a few years later that firstborn's tree had died....I didn't mention it but thought to myself that it t might be some kind of weird karma.  The firstborn is okay btw. Evidently planting a placenta tree was a thing....?

We planted an orange tree over my daughter's umbilical stump when it fell off, but the placenta version is new to me.

I guess I'm the only one not particularly grossed out by the thought of consuming your placenta.. but I am not sure if I would actually do it (not because it's gross, but because I am just skeptical of the benefits). I remember on Keeping up with the Kardashians when Kourtney had a big meat thing cooked for dinner, the family ate it, and then she told them it was the placenta. It wasn't but everyone thought she was serious lol 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived