IGNORED

Seewalds 22 - Funerals and Embryo Cake

choralcrusader8613

I remember Emily of Emily and Dna (the crazy filthy couple) talked about making a rigatoni casserole out of the placenta from her latest birth at the time. Ewwwwww! 

I also saw this news clip about a woman in one of the flyover states who was due to give birth at any day, throwing a fit because the local hospital she was going to give birth at wouldn't give her the placenta to take home after delivery. There was this drama and legal issues, and she was convinced that little Roman (her baby's name, I remember because I dislike that name with a passion and she had those wooden letters painted of his name and hung on the wall unevenly) would suffer greatly if she couldn't get the placenta back. She never said what she was planning on doing with it. 

When I first saw this title all I could think of was a fetus funeral and cake decorated with icing fetuses served afterward. This could be a big fundraiser for the local pregnancy center. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Jessa comparing Spurgeon and Henry to her and Ben. I think that Henry definitely looks a lot like Ben. Although there is definitely some Duggar in there as well. We've always known who Spurgeon looks like. 

Nobody can say that Jessa doesn't brand her family. As an ebil liberal/queer/feminist/college grad, I find their beliefs abhorrent and don't think they should have any sort of authority. And yet, without fail, these sorts of posts make me smile. Like, big dopey smile. Anything with Spurgeon makes me melt, and now Henry's got a blossoming little personality of his own. By all appearances, Jessa's as joyous as she is radiant, and Ben is -- refreshingly -- ever the doting father and loyal husband... How many of her 1.9 million followers would consider her lifestyle?

Kind of similar, but have any of you guys heard/know or maybe even done a lotus birth? I forgot what show I was watching it on but basically the placenta is left on the baby till it either falls off or some parents might cut it off before that. I would just think that would really really smell?!

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Yuk, this topic makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit. 

I'm the one who brought it up first. Sorry about that. Try something to settle your nerves? :wine:

1 hour ago, candygirl200413 said:

Kind of similar, but have any of you guys heard/know or maybe even done a lotus birth? I forgot what show I was watching it on but basically the placenta is left on the baby till it either falls off or some parents might cut it off before that. I would just think that would really really smell?!

I saw something about that online or on TV a few years ago. The video I watched was very in favor of doing it and brought up some interesting points but I was never sure if what they said was quack science or legitimate, since it was so one-sided and I never got around to doing further research.

I don't know anyone, personally, who has done it.

@candygirl200413 One of the midwifes at work was explaining a lotus birth to me on a night shift.  The umbilical cord isn't cut so the baby remains attached to the placenta which is put in a little bag still attached to the baby until it shrivels and dies.  She said there's a high chance of infection for the baby and it gets very smelly as it dies.

Plus anyone who picks up the new born needs to be wary of the placenta and pick that up to as its still attached to the baby.

Not personally my cup of tea - at least how it was explained by that midwife (who also didn't really approve).

31 minutes ago, imokit said:

@candygirl200413 One of the midwifes at work was explaining a lotus birth to me on a night shift.  The umbilical cord isn't cut so the baby remains attached to the placenta which is put in a little bag still attached to the baby until it shrivels and dies.  She said there's a high chance of infection for the baby and it gets very smelly as it dies.

Plus anyone who picks up the new born needs to be wary of the placenta and pick that up to as its still attached to the baby.

Not personally my cup of tea - at least how it was explained by that midwife (who also didn't really approve).

Yeah. I wasn't planning on anything like that when I had my daughter. Nothing with the placenta either. My personal thoughts are that animals have a very good reason for eating the placenta. They do it to keep predators from following the scent and finding the baby. Humans don't need to worry about that, so I saw no need to do anything like that personally.

I had considered asking about delaying the cord cut for a few minutes because from what I've read that can have some benefits. Then I went into premature labor and the Doctor had to cut the cord before the baby was completely out - the cord was wrapped around her sweet little neck. She said it was wrapped loosely, but that was literally my biggest fear the second half of my pregnancy. Fun times!

So anyone on here planning a birth - don't get too attached to any specific birth plans and try not to get too detailed with them. I went in with next to no plan other than carrying to term and birthing a healthy child. I still only managed to complete half of that plan. Thankfully, my daughter is a pretty tough and healthy baby (all things considered.)

-------

@SilverBeachI clicked into this thread while eating breakfast. Not something I'd recommend. :pb_lol:

All this placenta talk reminds me of a few lines from Practical Magic; an old lady in the town was convinced that Sally Owens was making placenta bars. I wonder what she may have been talking about: making placenta soap bars, maybe?  :: shrugs ::

I don't know how anyone would want to eat their placenta. They saw what that thing looks like, right? :pb_lol: 

Lotus birth - I watched a documentary about weird births or something when I was pregnant last year and a lady doing a lotus birth was on there (so was a lady who stuck her placenta in a smoothie) but the lotus birth lady seasoned hers with herbs and things to help it smell better and carried it around in a cooler with her baby until it fell off. Here it is: (If you want to watch her w/ her placenta that starts around 43:40) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLQZQ_kTZRY

WARNING: THINGS ARE ABOUT TO GET GROSS BELOW

Guys. I'd totally eat my placenta.

But I'm one of those people that prides myself on eating weird things like bugs and weird meats (eat your crickets seasoned guys, they're really bland otherwise). I don't necessarily believe in the health benefits, but I'd do it just to say I did it. But it'd have to be disguised, like a capsule or a smoothie. I wouldn't just grill it up. That might be too weird.

I forget if we addressed this, does anyone think any of the Duggar daughters would do this? They like unsubstantiated pseudo-science, but they also got weirded out by something as normal as sushi, so perhaps eating placenta would be too much for them.

Also, would it be technically considered cannibalism?

So Jessa and Bin each have a Mini-me. Time to stop procreating.

4 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

So Jessa and Bin each have a Mini-me. Time to stop procreating.

As if! They want an army of mini-me's. :kitty-cussing:

Looking at their pictures is a brand that Jessa has created.  Their lifestyle based on the pictures is idyllic to the average viewer.  But go more into the cult people won't look beyond the pictures.  But click bait apparently what it is called is what Jessa is achieving which apparently makes her rich at 90c average.  And getting rich of doing nothing is normal for these people. 

Just now, Carm_88 said:

As if! They want an army of mini-me's. :kitty-cussing:

and estimating next month conception date 

21 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

WARNING: THINGS ARE ABOUT TO GET GROSS BELOW

Guys. I'd totally eat my placenta.

But I'm one of those people that prides myself on eating weird things like bugs and weird meats (eat your crickets seasoned guys, they're really bland otherwise). I don't necessarily believe in the health benefits, but I'd do it just to say I did it. But it'd have to be disguised, like a capsule or a smoothie. I wouldn't just grill it up. That might be too weird.

I forget if we addressed this, does anyone think any of the Duggar daughters would do this? They like unsubstantiated pseudo-science, but they also got weirded out by something as normal as sushi, so perhaps eating placenta would be too much for them.

Also, would it be technically considered cannibalism?

If it was encapsulated, i probably would too. I used to be a doula and knew a lot of home birthy-type folks. Some of them did the capsules, never knew anyone that straight-up ate it though. Someone made art out of it by pressing it into paint then laying it on paper. Looks like the tree of life.

This is pretty random, but I'm in my geology class right now and we're discussing people who don't believe in evolution. My professor is talking about Samuel Wilberforce! It made me think of FJ lol

Now he's talking about what fundamentalists are. 

If I ever had a baby I would take placenta pills but then I am the type of person who will try anything for health. 

ie when I had pneumonia I put pepper on a lemon just to make myself feel not like coughing and I ingested elm bark. 

so ...

Last week when I was at church, the message was about how obsessed our culture is with branding yourself and projecting an image of happiness even when your life is complete shit and you are a total mess. 

This is what the Duggars are. They keep their image in tip top shape but don't actually work on the underneath only the things people can see. They might be able to talk scripture but do they really understand the implications of what Christ is asking to do with their lives. He would hang out with the gays, women who had abortions, POC, and any undesirables of today's society. 

*off the soap box*

13 hours ago, MayMay1123 said:

Henry is already so over everybody's shit...

Is it just me or does Henry always look like he's about to shit?  

When my friends now 1 year old was Henry's age he had the best resting baby bitch face, now that William is Mr happy  smiley face that title can be passed on to Henry.  And if Henry is anything like Spurgeon or William he will be a very happy little guy. 

11 hours ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

I also saw this news clip about a woman in one of the flyover states who was due to give birth at any day, throwing a fit because the local hospital she was going to give birth at wouldn't give her the placenta to take home after delivery. There was this drama and legal issues, and she was convinced that little Roman (her baby's name, I remember because I dislike that name with a passion and she had those wooden letters painted of his name and hung on the wall unevenly) would suffer greatly if she couldn't get the placenta back. She never said what she was planning on doing with it. 

"Flyover states"? Didn't we just have a drama about that earlier in this thread, or was that another Duggar thread. Anyway...

I don't think it's unreasonable for a mother to want her placenta for whatever reason she chooses (even if that reason is kind of gross to many), and I do think it's unreasonable for a hospital to appropriate it as their property. At least, not without some level of discussion. If some doctorly type wants to come and correct me that it's a dangerous thing for a patient to have, infectious waste or whatever, I am open to hearing the evidence, of course. But to be all 'lol silly woman, why does she want that, the hospital is right of course' starts to get into that much-debated-on-FJ territory of women's autonomy in birth choices vs All Obstetricians Know What's Best For All Pregnant Women All The Time. 

17 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Is it just me or does Henry always look like he's about to shit?  

When my friends now 1 year old was Henry's age he had the best resting baby bitch face, now that William is Mr happy  smiley face that title can be passed on to Henry.  And if Henry is anything like Spurgeon or William he will be a very happy little guy. 

Resting baby bitch face lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

48 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

This is pretty random, but I'm in my geology class right now and we're discussing people who don't believe in evolution. My professor is talking about Samuel Wilberforce! It made me think of FJ lol

Was Henry named after Samuel Wilberforce? I thought it was William (his father). That's what I get for making assumptions I guess. And here I was actually pleasantly surprised since William Wilberforce actually did something useful with his life in pushing for and bringing about the end of the slave trade in the British Empire. 

Oh well. At least I can still snicker over the fact that the actual Henry Wilberforce (William's son and Samuel's brother) converted to Catholicism. 

1 hour ago, nst said:

If I ever had a baby I would take placenta pills but then I am the type of person who will try anything for health. 

ie when I had pneumonia I put pepper on a lemon just to make myself feel not like coughing and I ingested elm bark. 

so ...

I thought about having it done last time. Yes, I admit it. I'd had some very mild PPD with the previous baby and wondered if it could be of help. Then a close friend who had moved out of state told me that she'd recently done it and it made her crazy and as soon as she stopped taking the capsules she felt better. It's a royal pain to get the hospital here to give you your placenta after a c-section and I wasn't totally sold on the idea anyway, so I moved on after hearing about my friend's experience. 

We use wild cherry bark and slippery elm for coughs and sore throats too ;-)

59 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Resting baby bitch face lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I'm quite proud to say I coined that phrase, Will's mama loved it too which I why I said it because I knew she would laugh. 

45 minutes ago, subsaharanafrica said:

Was Henry named after Samuel Wilberforce? I thought it was William (his father). 

They named him after William. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived