IGNORED

I suck at decorating - help!

CrazyLurkerLady

I really SUCK at decorating and I don't want to. I have a tiny house with kid stuff everywhere. I've tried to do some stuff like getting a nice new bed for my room, putting in overhead lights, ripping up the gross carpet, that kind of thing, but I still feel like my house looks like a college student lives there.

How can I make my house look finished and adult on a budget? 

i had this issue for several years; we still have a running joke of how Mr. CL tried to adorn our first living room with movie posters, (many) bowling trophies, and a plastic light-up beer sign.  he would have brought in camp chairs if i'd let him.

here are some things that helped me over the years:  determine a style--modern, rustic, formal, etc., and keep everything in that style.

paint color.  be sure that it goes with your style and isn't something you'd associate with a dorm room or classroom.  for me, that's generally lighter earth tones.  

framed pictures.  you can find reasonably-priced ones in places like Kirklands or HomeGoods.  and find nice frames for your kids' pictures (both their portraits and things they draw).  a pretty frame always looks elegant.

rugs with oriental-style patterns.  YMMV, but this always strikes me as grown-up and a teensy bit formal; i've never seen one in a dorm.

the best curtains you can afford.  doesn't matter if it's a valance and sheers (my preference) or full-on drapes, and keep the mini-blinds behind them if that's your preference.  nice curtains are just that:  nice.

and these will be dictated by your budget:  

upholstered seating that does not involve a slipcover (disclaimer--i keep a matching-color blanket on my sofa to control dog hair and spills, but i remove it for company).  avoid wicker and anything foldable; these are great for the porch or patio, but not the living room.

eschew open shelving in favor of cabinets with doors; real wood if it fits your budget, or try finding used items online.  you can keep some of the toys, hobbies, electronics, books out of sight for at least part of the day......

i never had the budget to re-do an entire room in one shot, but i will save up/plan for one or two large items or do a bunch of accessories together.  doing it in stages might be less stressful for you.  enjoy!

Great thread idea! I am currently making over my daughter's bedroom, so I will watch this thread for tips.  I agree with @catlady about the curtains. We went with sheers in a color my daughter loves, and it has made the entire room feel different- new and more inviting. I am also a huge fan of hidden storage.  (I ordered a bed frame from Amazon that is 18 inches tall and plan to put tons of storage totes under there, which is freeing up closet space for other things. I'm stupid excited about it!)

Pinterest is great for room layout ideas, and there are several apps where you can put your room dimensions and furniture ect in, and then play with the design. I also like searching for pins on Pinterest that talk about upgrading your living room on a budget, that sort of thing.  Oh! and @CrazyLurkerLady- you can totally search for ideas for organizing small houses on Pinterest too!

• 4 months later...

Hi there, I agree with you that to make it look good you need to modify your interior like you can use curtains for windows, carpet installation is also a good option. You can also try hanging cabinets with doors which can also save your space. Vertical garden is also a good option. There are many professionals who can provide you better ideas within a budget. Recently my friend hired professional moving company NYC who provided him carpet flooring, cabinets and furniture service in a budget.

• 2 weeks later...

Both of our bathrooms have very small windows. I LOVE curtains but found nothing I liked for those windows. I ended up using three fabric napkins for each. Attach with curtain rings - no sewing!  

A friend of mine has done the same with tablecloths for larger windows. Just an idea. Good luck. 

IMG_8623.JPG

Archived