IGNORED

13 Reasons Why (Triggers Everywhere)

NakedKnees

Has anyone seen the series 13 Reasons Why on Netflix? I plowed through it a little while ago and am surprised I haven't heard much on it around FJ (aside from the Katherine Langford = Jessa Duggar + Natalie Portman talk).

Anyway, I liked it enough that I think I'm going to read the book now. I thought it was a total teen drama, but really well-done for that genre. There's been quite a bit of backlash and discussion around the parts of the internet I frequent. More behind spoiler, TW sexual assault and suicide.

Spoiler

Personally, I feel like I learned a lot from the backlash to the suicide scene. I really did not know much about how to safely depict suicide in media before this, and it's interesting to see where this show failed there. The rape scenes were harrowing, but I think a little more fairly done than the suicide one. I thought they tackled elements that you don't see in film/TV very often well (the roles of friends, the concept of "no means no").

Did anyone else here like it? Hate it? Not see the big deal about it?

I read the book, and could not put it down.  Very good!   The TV show is very popular here.  

One of these days, I will figure how how the Netflix thing works on my TV.

It's on Netflix in Aus which I don't have but it's certainly being discussed in the media. Both of my kids' schools have sent warnings to parents just today about letting tweets/teens watch it.

On 5/4/2017 at 6:13 AM, Blahblah said:

It's on Netflix in Aus which I don't have but it's certainly being discussed in the media. Both of my kids' schools have sent warnings to parents just today about letting tweets/teens watch it.

Haha I was at Target the other day and these two teen girls were talking about emails being sent to their schools and how ridiculous it was.

I've watched the whole thing, IMO I agree with the experts/people who thought it glamorized suicide/painted suicide as a revenge tactic. 

It also bothered me that out of all the characters, while of course Bryce, Courtney, Tyler, and Justin deserve most if not all of any negative repercussions they get, I also thought Hannah and Clay came across as bitter, petty whiners...IMO some of what the people described in the tapes did wasn't actually that bad, and in fact, Hannah and Clay did some pretty fucked up shit themselves...

Also, what pisses me off is painting that someone else is personally responsible for a suicide...yes kids need to be nicer/whatnot, but holding someone personally responsible for someone killing themselves is pretty fucked up. Like studies have shown that the whole bullycide thing is a lot more complicated than that...

But it was kind of compelling as a "whodunit" even though it failed at being a "teachable moment" kind of thing. 

Archived