IGNORED

Jana's Future 4 - Family Ties

choralcrusader8613

On 18/06/2017 at 2:51 PM, VelociRapture said:

Snip

And my mom's side is of entirely Irish descent. Dad likes to joke that the Irish have made saying hello and goodbye an art form because it takes so long (he's mostly of German descent - so the quicker and more efficient, the better.) :pb_lol:

I'm willing to bet a MN goodbye has nothing on an Irish one. We talk, ALOT :pb_lol:

We'll talk for hours. Then get up to leave and start talking again. Walk to the door talking and stand there talking more. Make our way outside and stand talking again. Get to the car, stand beside the car talking again. Get in the car, more talking through the window and still continue talking as the car moves away. 

Phone calls are hilarious. The most typical Irish phone call ends something like this: 

Person A: I must go here I have such and such to do 

*30 minute conversation about what each person has to do. 

Person B: Awk sure I'll get you go here and get on with your day 

*a further 30 minute discussion on something irelevant 

Person A: I really have to go here 

Person B: no bother sure I'll chat to you later 

*20 minute conversation about when both are next Free to chat or meet up.

Then it finally gets to goodbye only apparently is Irish can't handle just saying it once. So you have to people just repeating 'bye bye bye' down the phone to each other for a solid 10 minutes. 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We called that the Auntie Minnie goodbye. My mum and Auntie Minnie would say goodbye,  continue to talk, get to the front door and keep talking. Dad learned to stay put until mum had her coat on and the door actually opened. Worked in the winter, because you wouldn't leave the door open too long. Summer was a different story.

We never say goodbye to guests at the door - we always walk out to the car with them, and goodbyes do take a while.  My parents always did it this way, so I just continued it.  

I typically will walk guests out to their car. If I have alot of guests over at a time, they will get walked to the door unless they are the last ones to leave. Then they get the car treatment haha. 

I don't wait for them to drive off though. Just until they get in their car.

Overseas, I lived on the 4th floor and so I would walk them to the elevator. Luckily it was right outside my door though... the apartments were in a little pod like thing. No real hallway just a giant entry way for all the apartments on that floor

20 hours ago, Karma said:

We never say goodbye to guests at the door - we always walk out to the car with them, and goodbyes do take a while.  My parents always did it this way, so I just continued it.  

Us too. We call it the "Goodbye Tour."

Continue here:

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived