IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers Engaged

Bazinga

He also got a public Instagram. As opposed to his sisters and his wife. I definitely think he wants to create an image 

Edit: I started reading his first blog post and it’s already gross. He blames abortion, feminism and divorce and it’s sad because Christianity is diminishing in America. Um josh, if you want people to stop leaving the Faith maybe your brand of Christianity should stop being so toxic and discriminating.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is definitely low-budget preparations for political office.  

He needs to work on his weird squinty/squishy facial expressions.  They're really awkward and distracting - like Dwight Schrute trying to be charismatic.  He also needs better lighting.  It looks like he has no eyes because they're so shadowed.  

I think he also might come across as less of an awkward, self-conscious oddball if he got his wife to start a Happy Shiny Christian Blessed Wife social media presence.  One of my spouse's friends is married to a Conservative politician and part of their image is her facebook/insta of their babies and dogs.  I find it gross but they have a TON of fans through it.  

Whatever he's planning, he's an arrogant young man with disturbing problems. He'll never know that, of course, because he believes himself and his religious motivation as the best of the best and the only of all - typical fundie male arrogance.

I can't do much more than laugh at him and his self importance and fucked up views. Unfortunately, too many people will fall for it and that's what bothers me about it. 

Wow - so cliched.  Feminism and abortion are the roots of all evil.  Can't he find a unique new message, or at least do more than superficially delve into these topics to blame others?

When will these fundies understand that we don't care about what others choose to do with their bodies and personal health decisions?

They need to get over the fact that women are in the workplace and aren't going anywhere. We want to make our workplace environments and our ability to succeed equal too, for ourselves and for other minorities. Time's up.

How about instead of focusing on what other people choose to do with their body, we focus on children that are already alive and aren't receiving the same quality of life and ability to succeed compared to those that come from privileged families? Life matters, remember?

Abortion is not a priority and never will be. They need to get over it. They will NEVER get anywhere with this and need to let it goooooo.

Yep. I'm in a bitchy mood today and it feels good to rant and get that off my chest.

The scary thing is that he has real political connections - he worked on the Cruz campaign, directly with the man himself and his wife’s father is well known in libertarian and tea party circles.

1 hour ago, acheronbeach said:

He needs to work on his weird squinty/squishy facial expressions.  They're really awkward and distracting - like Dwight Schrute trying to be charismatic.

"Boycott the Steamtown Mall!"

"You've made a big mistake. HUGE!"

dwightpipe.thumb.jpg.69b82078620df2aca92063cb87440f2a.jpg

Ok, watched the video. How ridiculously grandois and pompous. The kid is what, 20? Maybe 22.

And the only duty of Christians is to make Jesus look good? What about the great commission? Loving your neighbour as yourself? Caring for widows and orphans? 

Your video doesn’t make Jesus look good Joshua.

I watched it with the sound off, but his facial expressions really are awful. He looks like an angry 17-year-old who just started a local after school neo nazi club or something.

"Pontious Pilot ASK, "What is truth?""

*video changes sizes*

*Reagan quote awkwardly phases in from the bottom*

"so know it"

*screen shows Know It*

"Live it"

*Know it. Live it.*

"Speak it"

*Know it. Live it. Speak it.*

Ive never wondered what would happen if someone combined Ted Cruz and Bro Gary Hawkins, but now I know!

If I'm remembering correctly, isn't he the only one in his family, so far, who has a bachelor's degree? Why else would he get it if he doesn't want to go into politics... 

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Something about this slick little promo makes me think he has politics (state representative?) on his mind at some point in the future.

Ugh, I hope not. The Iowa legislature is already a clusterfuck without a Bontrager in it.

Anyone who watched his dad blather on and on at Chelsy's wedding isn't surprised by Joshua's beliefs. Marlin talked about Steve's vasectomy reversal at a wedding for fucks sake! These people are all just as weird and fucked up as the Maxwells.

Oh and guess what Joshua's middle name is....   

Maxwell

*snort*

Joshua somehow completed studies for a bachelors in communications from Thomas Edison State University. I guess you can cram your online education into 16 months. Joshua is only 20'and seems to know everything.:5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

This is why we need an "eye-roll" reaction option.

I have nothing to say. This guy is a douche. They all are.

Offensive, obnoxious, and awkward? Yikes, bro. Stop it with the videos. Take your hate and your creepy facial expressions somewhere else. Like somewhere no one else sees them.

7 hours ago, lilith said:

Your video doesn’t make Jesus look good Joshua.

No, it surely doesn't. What a smug asshole to think that he is the only one who ever got the message right. The bible wasn't exclusively written for white, hetero males. Damn. This makes me so angry. I call myself a Christian and yet my understanding of "Intentional Christianity " doesn't match with his views at all. I think what modern Christianity really needs is stand firmly and united against the fundie branches that are emerging everywhere. 

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Joshua somehow completed studies for a bachelors in communications from Thomas Edison State University. I guess you can cram your online education into 16 months. Joshua is only 20'and seems to know everything.:5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

As much as I admire the Bontrager's for their work ethics it also scares me. These folks don't fuck around and get things done. That is the big difference between them and the Bateses&Duggars and also to the Maxwells. The Bateses&Duggars come across as kind of lazy, unreliable (The Late Bates / Being on Duggar Time) and inconsistent. The Maxwells are shackled to their Holy Schedule and won't ever accomplish anything. But if Joshua wants to get into politics he is going to work for it and he might succeed. :-( :-(

Did anybody else get a strong VF vibe from that horrible video or is it only me?

2 hours ago, ophelia said:

No, it surely doesn't. What a smug asshole to think that he is the only one who ever got the message right. The bible wasn't exclusively written for white, hetero males. Damn. This makes me so angry. I call myself a Christian and yet my understanding of "Intentional Christianity " doesn't match with his views at all. I think what modern Christianity really needs is stand firmly and united against the fundie branches that are emerging everywhere. 

As much as I admire the Bontrager's for their work ethics it also scares me. These folks don't fuck around and get things done. That is the big difference between them and the Bateses&Duggars and also to the Maxwells. The Bateses&Duggars come across as kind of lazy, unreliable (The Late Bates / Being on Duggar Time) and inconsistent. The Maxwells are shackled to their Holy Schedule and won't ever accomplish anything. But if Joshua wants to get into politics he is going to work for it and he might succeed. :-( :-(

Did anybody else get a strong VF vibe from that horrible video or is it only me?

Not just you. The Bontragers were heavily into VF in its heyday.

EFCFDE6B-ABF1-4DF1-AFD7-03EB9B1E4625.png

He sounds like every young person who has discovered "the truth". My high school friend who was a communist was equally smug. I don't know her views today but she bugged me even then with her absolute ideas and her immunity to any disagreement with her statements. She on the other hand has a better chance of finding nuance than this guy ever will with his upbringing. I do still have hope as I have with all young people even fundamentalists. A lot happens between 20 and 30 and a lot of people do change.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived