IGNORED

Jim Bakker and the Food Buckets O'Doom

Cartmann99

22 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

I remember those t-shirts that looked like they had makeup smeared on them, and they said "I ran into Tammy Faye at the mall!". :pb_lol:

The late Jan Crouch will always be the ultimate for me in female televangelists!

I never understood why her wigs were sometimes pink or lavender, or why she chose to wear more than one at a time. She looked halfway normal at one time, but she kept getting plastic surgery, and piling on more and more wigs and makeup as the years rolled by.  She was like a trainwreck I couldn't stop looking at.

I'd say she was one of my gateway fundies, as I would stop channel surfing when I saw her, just for the snark value.

• Upvote 6

On 4/19/2017 at 1:53 PM, Howl said:

Tammy Faye LaValley Bakker Messner (1942 - 2007).  She divorced Jim Bakker when he went to jail and married family friend Messner, who was heavily involved in building Heritage USA and eventually he, too, was sent to jail for financial shenanigans. Tammy Faye eventually became a gay icon.   

RuPaul tells how gay icon (and televangelist) Tammy Faye taught him what 'innocence' is: Drag queen RuPaul says he learnt one of life's key lessons from a Christian superstar  A few excerpts: 

"Focus on people’s innocence rather than their guilt" would be super good advice from God to Bro. John Shrader. 

There is a documentary, "The Eyes of Tammy Faye". It pops up on Cinemax from time to time. It's worth a watch. Tammy Faye was an interesting person. I wouldn't have sent her a penny, but she seemed like she didn't take herself overly seriously (except about the singing) and, to the best of my knowledge, she was really the only televangelist who embraced gay people.  It was the greed that did her in.

Back in the late 1980s, I worked as the Music Director of a public radio station. Because we had a gospel show, PTL always sent us records. I couldn't bring myself to play them on air, but we would listen to them in my office and laugh. Her version of "Oh Come, All Ye Faithful" has to be heard to be believed. I couldn't find a clip of it, but here she is, singing something else.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Does she have roses for earrings?:huh:

I've been trying to figure that out. 

• Upvote 1

I am shocked that Jim Bakker is still on t.v. and I'm not sure WHY I'm so shocked. In looking this up and Jan Crouch, I have discovered Jimmy Swaggart is still on t.v.  Oral Roberts lived to be 91. Gawd. I remember all of these people from childhood but we were forced to watch Billy Graham and attend his revivals. My grandparents idolized Billy Graham more than anyone else. 

I can't wait to show the doom buckets to my husband. He is not going to believe its real. 

• Upvote 11

10 hours ago, December said:

The Creation Museum was opened about a decade ago, so it may have more staying power. Similar (same?) group in charge.

I don't see how the Creation Museum can survive long-term. The "exhibits" never change, so there's no reason to revisit it. The admission is too high for the average homeschooling quiverfull family. To make matters worse, it's in an out of the way location. I predict it will eventually go the way of Heritage, though with a whimper, not a bang.

• Upvote 8

4 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I don't see how the Creation Museum can survive long-term. The "exhibits" never change, so there's no reason to revisit it. The admission is too high for the average homeschooling quiverfull family. To make matters worse, it's in an out of the way location. I predict it will eventually go the way of Heritage, though with a whimper, not a bang.

There are plenty of Bible-literalist families who aren't of the Quiverfull bent. My parents decided to stop at two, but my father will argue up and down that there's no evidence to support Evolution. AND HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER! He has a degree in forestry and wildlife science! I bet the Duggar crowd comprises some of their core audience, but there are more than enough church folks who think Jesus rode a T-rex.

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Well, if you're quiverfull, you'll need to go every 5 years or so to indoctrinate the new blessings.

• Upvote 12

6 hours ago, Jencendiary said:

There are plenty of Bible-literalist families who aren't of the Quiverfull bent. My parents decided to stop at two, but my father will argue up and down that there's no evidence to support Evolution. AND HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER! He has a degree in forestry and wildlife science! I bet the Duggar crowd comprises some of their core audience, but there are more than enough church folks who think Jesus rode a T-rex.

I understand that a lot of Americans hold creationist views. It's just that the Creation "Museum" seems like a one trick pony, and once you've seen it one time, you've seen all it has to offer. Real museums have permanent exhibits and temporary ones, so when you go, there's always something new to discover. In comparison, the Creation "Museum" doesn't have anything new to say other than "creationism rules, evolution drools," which is probably something you already believe if you're going to such a place. Real science museums also have scientists and other researchers working there, so the institution in question is generating new knowledge. The Creation "Museum" is a "ministry" and essentially believes that we already know all we need to know about how the world works, so there's no need to have rotating exhibits. I don't doubt that a lot of people will support the Creation "Museum" out of culture war loyalty, but even that will get stale quickly if the institution itself remains static. The Wartburg Watch reported that attendance was way down back in 2013, and I doubt it has improved:

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2013/10/16/is-the-creation-museum-in-decline/

• Upvote 9

@lawfulevil I'm just assuming by those recipes you must be a comedian or comedy writer... that is HILARIOUS.

OT: when I first saw the title "Buckets of Doom" I immediately thought of Jim *Jones*... there's a brief mention in 'A Thousand Lives' about when Jim Jones POISONED a man who-- after Jones claimed God had blessed him with extra food after the church dinner had run out-- pointed out that he saw someone drive up with many buckets of KFC.* Talk about buckets of doom!

*The man survived the poisoning, but was forced to repent in front of the congregation. 

• Upvote 2

I'm more peturbed his selling of the buckets/generators doesn't constitute fraud. Also shouldn't the IRS be garnishing his butt. Seriously these people cause havoc and hardly face consequences.

• Upvote 1

I got quite fond of Tammy Faye before she died.  She only embraced and was embraced by the gay community after the disgrace, IIRC, but she seemed genuine about it.  

Jan Crouch though!  It wasn't the wigs and the make up it was the Barbies for Jesus campaign that did me in.  What every African child needs - a white baby doll (or a truck for the boys) to bring them to Christ.  Aaargh!

There was a huge scandal about the late and unlamented Crouches too.  A granddaughter turned them in to the IRS and there were any number of rumors about Jan's infidelity and their combined financial misdeeds.   I'm not sure how the lawsuit against the granddaughter turned out, but one of the sons still runs what remains of the TV ministry. http://www.ocweekly.com/news/sinful-sex-at-tbn-and-a-motor-home-for-jan-crouchs-dogs-alleged-in-lawsuit-6460144

The proven fraud Peter Popoff is back on late night TV too.  This time it is "Miracle Spring Water" from Ukraine.  Take a swig and all your debts will disappear and all your sicknesses will be cured.

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

The proven fraud Peter Popoff is back on late night TV too.  This time it is "Miracle Spring Water" from Ukraine.  Take a swig and all your debts will disappear and all your sicknesses will be cured.

You forgot the most important part--send $$$$$$.

I always felt sympathy towards Tammy Faye, both for the Hahn scandal and the way Jim shunted her aside for his Heritage USA obsession.  IMHO, she didn't deserve to die like that.

• Upvote 9

Back in 2000, there was even a documentary titled The Eyes of Tammy Faye

Twelve years after the scandalous collapse of the multimillion dollar Christian empire built by Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker, "The Eyes Of Tammy Faye" tells the fascinating inside story of the rise, fall and resurrection of "the Queen of the Eyelashes." One of the most adored and reviled women of her time, the film follows her amazing tale from her love at first sight encounter with Jim, through the glory days of PTL, to the scandal that brought both their empire and their family tumbling down.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, infooverload said:

I'm more peturbed his selling of the buckets/generators doesn't constitute fraud. Also shouldn't the IRS be garnishing his butt. Seriously these people cause havoc and hardly face consequences.

Assets are protected in the new wife's name.  

Jim Bakker reminds me of Billy Sol Esters, who very few of you will remember.  He was a man whose

name became synonymous with Texas-sized schemes, greed and corruption. He reigned in the state as the king of con men for nearly 50 years. Time magazine put him on its cover, calling him "a welfare-state Ponzi … a bundle of contradictions and paradoxes who makes Dr. Jekyll seem almost wholesome." ....

"He considered dancing immoral, often delivered sermons as a Church of Christ lay preacher," the magazine wrote. "But he ruthlessly ruined business competitors, practiced fraud and deceit on a massive scale, and even victimized Church of Christ schools that he was supposed to be helping as a fund-raiser or financial advisor."

Estes was best known for the scandal that broke out during President Kennedy's administration involving phony financial statements and non-existent fertilizer tanks. Several lower-level Agriculture Department officials resigned, and Estes spent several years in prison.

He died in 2016.  Full text of LA Times article:

Billie Sol Estes dies at 88; notorious Texas con man in 1960s scandal

Billy Sol was simply incapable of being an honest man, making an honest buck.  He simply couldn't do it.  Jim Bakker is the same.  He is a huckster through and through and can't be anything else. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3

On 5/4/2017 at 7:44 AM, Palimpsest said:

I got quite fond of Tammy Faye before she died.  She only embraced and was embraced by the gay community after the disgrace, IIRC, but she seemed genuine about it

Me too.  During the PTL scandal I thought she was just as bad as her husband, but later on after seeing her acceptance of gays (and them accepting her as well) that made me rethink my attitude about her.   I was sorry about her death.  

• Upvote 6

I felt sorry for Tammy, too. She seemed like a sweet lady who got caught up in the delusion.
When they still lived in Tega Cay, SC, someone said they saw her at a mall in Charlotte, and she was flipping the shirts that made fun of her around so their backs faced outward. (The shirts had a smeared makeup face, and said "I ran into Tammy Faye at the mall.") 
During my divorce, after I stopped going to the ex's church, they were trying to raise money to build a bigger building. Somehow the pastor got in league with Roe Messner, Tammy Faye's then-husband, who was some sort of scammy church contractor. He & Tammy Faye visited the church one Sunday so Messner could talk about fund-raising. One of my friends who still went there sent me a photo of Tammy Faye sitting in the front row. Not many people made the connection & recognized her, but a few people went up & spoke to her. They said she was very sweet and friendly, but a bit shy. The pastor & his wife took them to lunch afterwards. It was only a year or so before she died.
The funny thing is that just a couple of years earlier, the pastor used to talk trash about Jim & Tammy, calling them "Jimmy Taker & Tammy Faker," and his wife made jokes about Tammy's makeup, but that day they acted like Tammy was their long-lost best friend. Talk about hypocrites!
(The photo is long gone, lost in the crash of one of my old desktop computers.) :(

Edited by FeministShrew
Clarify that I no longer have the photo.
  • Upvote 4

On 5/5/2017 at 1:35 PM, nokidsmom said:

Me too.  During the PTL scandal I thought she was just as bad as her husband, but later on after seeing her acceptance of gays (and them accepting her as well) that made me rethink my attitude about her.   I was sorry about her death.  

I always liked Tammy Faye. I was in high school when PTL peaked and then suddenly crashed and burned. Whenever my sister and I would get bored watching MTV, we would tune into PTL just to see what Tammy Faye was wearing. She had an afternoon show called "Tammy's House Party" that was fun to watch. But whenever Jim was on TV, he spent 90 percent of his airtime asking people for money and maybe 10% preaching or talking about religious matters. ("God will bless you if you become a partner in our ministry" does not count.)

Tammy Faye was one of THE first celebrities to hug a man with AIDS on TV. This was in the 1980s, when much of the general public (including medical professionals) were afraid to touch anyone who had AIDS. I don't remember hearing any anti-gay rhetoric from either of the Bakkers, although I did hear it from some of the other preachers who bought time on the PTL network, especially Jimmy Swaggart.

• Upvote 5

On 5/5/2017 at 3:33 PM, FeministShrew said:

The funny thing is that just a couple of years earlier, the pastor used to talk trash about Jim & Tammy, calling them "Jimmy Taker & Tammy Faker," and his wife made jokes about Tammy's makeup, but that day they acted like Tammy was their long-lost best friend.

This got me to wondering how many times Tammy Faye faced this.   She had to know how some people in their circles felt about her especially after the PTL scandal, so when some people were playing super nice to her she must have figured out the hypocrisy but be nice through it all.    Maybe that was why she was shy.  If so, one couldn't blame her.

• Upvote 4

@nokidsmom, I've wondered that too. I also think Roe Messner used her fame to drum up business. You know people were going to flock to any service he was speaking at, just to catch a glimpse of Tammy Faye. 

• Upvote 2

@FeministShrew also Messner went to jail himself a few years after he married Tammy Faye.   So she had 2 husbands who did jail time.   Did she ever wonder where she went wrong in the husband department?

• Upvote 4

“It seems like there is a hatred among peoples and this is satanic,” he said. “This is the White Horse of the Apocalypse. The White Horse of the Apocalypse is the first horse. It’s a horse of speech. It’s a horse of spirit. And the spirit of Antichrist is out now. This is what you’re seeing. You want to know what the Antichrist spirit looks like? That’s what’s going on in America. These people mocking the president. The words they use. The speech they use. That’s the spirit of Antichrist. That’s the spirit of hatred.”

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/jim-bakker-mocking-trump-is-the-spirit-of-antichrist/

Dammit Jim, you lost another opportunity to shill the doom buckets! Grab a couple hundred of the doom buckets at random, add some orange dye, raise the price 25%, and then tell your fans that eating two meals a day from the new Liberty Freedom Pro-life Family Patriot doom buckets will protect Trump from the attacks of the Antichrist!

Yes, it looks, smells, and tastes like complete crap, but if you love your country, you'll happily eat this overpriced swill to protect President Trump from the forces of darkness!

Order now, quantities are severely limited!

• Upvote 11

I have read this thread in it's entirety to date and I guess fundies promoting bucket of doom swill is to "help" the faithful prepare for the apocalypse? Or are fundies in general prone to be preppers for STHF events, real or imagined? If it is the coming apocalypse "reasoning" I thought the apocalypse was going to happen after the rapture and all good fundies would be taken to heaven prior to the rest of us heathens and sinners who get to suffer the horrors of the apocalypse. If righteous fundies believe this and that they are in the select group who get to leave early in the rapture, why do they need buckets of Jim Bakker's goop?

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Jim Bakker and the Food Buckets O'Doom