IGNORED

Jim Bakker and the Food Buckets O'Doom

Cartmann99

After reading this thread, I looked up The Eyes of Tammy Faye, and I really enjoyed it. I posted such on my Instagram, and a dear friend commented that near the end of her life, Tammy Faye went to her church, sat with her in fact, and that Tammy Faye was absolutely sweet and kind. I got that impression from the documentary too. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

On 10/18/2017 at 10:23 PM, Howl said:

Actually, I think most people will prefer cannibalism once they sample some doom buckets. 

True. If Jimmy was smart, he'd start selling meat smokers to get a bigger share of the apocalyptic market. 

• Haha 7

Hell's bells, he must be snorting the contents of his doom buckets:

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 8

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."

It appears the Radical Christianists(TM) have taken this comment by Anne Lamott a step farther and created a Trump in their own image.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

Jimmy has a word of knowledge for us. The California wildfires and people wanting to impeach Trump are signs of the Apocalypse! :pb_surprised:

Sadly, no doom bucket shillage happened during this clip. :tw_bawling:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

• 6 months later...

Jimmy's selling real estate again:

"I tell you what, you all are going to know soon why God brought us here," Bakker said. "Did you know people from the government, from NASA, research from so many of them — they have said in their research, the safest place to live in troubled times is right here?"

A spokeswoman for NASA said she was not familiar with any research from her organization that might fit with Bakker's claim.

"That doesn't sound like something we would do," the NASA spokeswoman said.

A request for comment left with Bakker's show was not returned.

The episode of the Jim Bakker Show featured photos of rustic wood cabins and condo units. In addition to hawking land, Bakker also advertised water bottles with filters (six for $150) and buckets of preserved food (a six-gallon "basic bucket" retails for $125 and contains 273 servings of "warm and delicious comfort food" with a shelf life of 25 years).

A member of the audience led a prayer for those who wanted to purchase property at Morningside: "God, you cause their homes to sell wherever they're at, that finances come to them so that they’re able to come and be able to purchase and buy and move in and have a part of this ministry."

According to the show's website, condo rentals begin at $70 a night, with an additional fee for cleaning. It's unclear how much it would cost to purchase one. A voicemail message left with the number listed for information about condo sales was not returned.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/05/11/televangelist-jim-bakker-apocalypse-ozarks-condo/604002002/

Those of us of a certain vintage have vivid memories of the last time Jimmy was mixed up in real estate. :?

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for necro'ing this topic, but I just found out that I get a station that carries this show(I had to switch to DirecTV because I can't get Spectrum here due to a financial dispute with the town), and now Jimmy's pushing a book called "The Cyrus Trump Conspiracy."(Incidentally, I also get the Scientology channel. :Sniffle-za-warudo:)

And now he's plugging a $3,900 "fuel-less generator."

• Upvote 4

Here is a video of Jim in the PTL years. He really acted like he was some sort of pop star. He is always going to be a scam artist. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

50 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I apologize for necro'ing this topic

Now he's selling the Branson area as a kind of Christian power vortex to credulous believers?  Truly, a Jesus face-palm moment.   And never apologize;  it's always fascinating to watch the brazen resurrection (!) of his predatory chutzpah in a SRSLY, yeech, I wish I'd never seen that snake eat a mouse kinda way.  Real estate scamming is in the Bakker DNA.  Somebody's gonna lose money. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, smittykins said:

I apologize for necro'ing this topic, but I just found out that I get a station that carries this show(I had to switch to DirecTV because I can't get Spectrum here due to a financial dispute with the town), and now Jimmy's pushing a book called "The Cyrus Trump Conspiracy."(Incidentally, I also get the Scientology channel. :Sniffle-za-warudo:)

And now he's plugging a $3,900 "fuel-less generator."

Wait, there's a Scientology channel?!? I would definitely be interested in reading a thread about their shenanigans if you ever feel the need to do one about their shows. :pb_smile:

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Coffee doom buckets!!!

• Haha 5

On 8/18/2017 at 9:31 PM, SusanDelgado said:

I remember her being on some reality show, like one of the vh1 "has beens in a house together" ones?  Anyway I remember her being surprisingly sympathetic. 

She and Ron Jeremy of all people seemed to get along okay. She didn't approve his life style of course, but from the little I saw of it, she was polite. 

When I first came across Tammy Faye, I didn't care for her much, but as all the PTL stuff died down, I found myself liking her. She wasn't perfect, she was at times a caricature, but there was more to her then eyelashes/liner. 

On 10/8/2017 at 11:42 PM, johnhugh said:

Oh gosh https://store.jimbakkershow.com/loris-birthday-offers/ I shall go for the yellow...

good to see that his son Jay is his mother’s son

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Bakker

I like Jay Bakker an awful lot. I know he was very close to his mom and his church is all inclusive. He doesn't seem to mesh well with his dad though. Can't say I blame him. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 6

41 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

She and Ron Jeremy of all people seemed to get along okay. She didn't approve his life style of course, but from the little I saw of it, she was polite. 

When I first came across Tammy Faye, I didn't care for her much, but as all the PTL stuff died down, I found myself liking her. She wasn't perfect, she was at times a caricature, but there was more to her then eyelashes/liner.  

When asked about her friendship with Ron Jeremy, she said he was one of the kindest people she ever met. IIRC, everyone in that house adored her. 

She also spoke out in the 80s about Christians not supporting those with HIV/AIDS, way before people, especially conservative Christians, were talking about it. 

• Upvote 5

It's sad that being all inclusive is what costs so many Christian preachers a chunk of their followers. The same thing happened with Carlton Pearson, protege of Oral Roberts he became a Christian Universalist and disavowed hell. Yet, steaming pile of nasty Pat Robertson is still on television. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

It's sad that being all inclusive is what costs so many Christian preachers a chunk of their followers. The same thing happened with Carlton Pearson, protege of Oral Roberts he became a Christian Universalist and disavowed hell. Yet, steaming pile of nasty Pat Robertson is still on television. 

Ugh that man is vile. 

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

When asked about her friendship with Ron Jeremy, she said he was one of the kindest people she ever met. IIRC, everyone in that house adored her. 

She also spoke out in the 80s about Christians not supporting those with HIV/AIDS, way before people, especially conservative Christians, were talking about it. 

I do think she was very well liked too. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I like Jay Bakker an awful lot. I know he was very close to his mom and his church is all inclusive. He doesn't seem to mesh well with his dad though. Can't say I blame him. 

I saw him perform in a Social Distortion cover band several years ago! They were pretty good. 

We were members at PTL when I was a kid. It was a good deal for our family - we'd camp there several times a year, go horseback riding, go roller skating, play putt putt, go to the waterpark (which was awesome), etc. we got to do most things free and discounts on everything else with the membership and it was a nice safe place where our parents would let us go play while they went to a TV taping or whatever as long as we left a note saying where we would be. People asked later if we felt ripped off, but we didn't - we'd gotten every penny's worth out of that membership and were disappointed when the place closed. 

I never liked Jim Bakker much, and never met Tammy Faye, but the few of their TV cohorts we met were super nice. 

Why do the doom buckets look like cat litter buckets?

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I saw him perform in a Social Distortion cover band several years ago! They were pretty good. 

We were members at PTL when I was a kid. It was a good deal for our family - we'd camp there several times a year, go horseback riding, go roller skating, play putt putt, go to the waterpark (which was awesome), etc. we got to do most things free and discounts on everything else with the membership and it was a nice safe place where our parents would let us go play while they went to a TV taping or whatever as long as we left a note saying where we would be. People asked later if we felt ripped off, but we didn't - we'd gotten every penny's worth out of that membership and were disappointed when the place closed. 

I never liked Jim Bakker much, and never met Tammy Faye, but the few of their TV cohorts we met were super nice. 

Well from what people say, the food tastes as bad. 

I would love to meet Jay Bakker. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

The clip from Jimmy's show of the guy singing about the doom buckets cracked me up.

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...

Holy hell, how did I miss this?

I wonder if he sends this crap to Trump? :pb_lol:

Here's a longer spiel from their "faith-based" shopping channel:

Link to the PTL Shop livestream:

https://ptlshop.com/watch-live/

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fascinated by all of the crap Jimmy sells on his show, but my first love will always be the doom buckets:

• Upvote 1

On 7/3/2018 at 5:08 PM, Alisamer said:

I had relatives who lived there...

I almost died in  the waterpark which, from a grown-up point of view, was INCREDIBLY unsafe.  I mean, a lot of waterparks are/were in the 80's, but, I have a lifetime issue with water and more than 30 years later occasionally have literal flashbacks when I get startled (can't find my footing for a millisecond, even though I can swim and I"m 5' from shore) in water.

Then again, the relative who lived there, when it's mentioned, still goes with "the devil knew we had a wonderful thing and destroyed it", and I don't really want to further disillusion someone approaching 90 with good memories.

My husband keeps threatening to throw away my suzy moppet doll.  I may have hidden it in his closet recently.  He hasn't yet found it.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, dawbs said:

*snip*

My husband keeps threatening to throw away my suzy moppet doll.  I may have hidden it in his closet recently.  He hasn't yet found it.  

Fuck, he DID find it.  I went to take a picture of it for this, and it was gone.
He hid it in the top of the game closet.

Spoiler

1762662110_suzymoppet.jpg.d36e7ba78b08494d999a14c708ba2480.jpg
FTR, the silky thing sticking out of the gaming bag was a prop for a game, also from PTL--the outfit from my Rice-Paddy Baby.  Which....was it's own disturbing thing.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Folks, I actually broke down and watched an entire episode of Jimmy & The Doom Buckets on my phone last night.. :embarrassed: I watched  because I thought he would do something snarkworthy in regards to Florence like tell the audience to build a hurricane shelter out of empty doom buckets.

Here's what happened:

Jim and Lori invited Brigitte Gabriel back on the show to continue talking about her new book, Rise. Gabriel was furious because she thinks that Facebook and YouTube are treating her unfairly because she's a Christian and they are also totally violating her free speech rights*. All of them complained about how American Christians are treated and then they fearmongered  about the horrors American Christians will face if a Democrat takes over the White House.

Spoiler

*I may or may not have been yelling obscenities about how it is impossible for private companies to violate someone's right to free speech at this point.

Jimmy debuted a new doom bucket with the highest number of calories ever because food will scarce when the SHTF. They had these combo packs of doom buckets, and if you bought twelve doom buckets you got a free doom bucket. Jimmy whined about people making fun of his doom buckets (*waves at Jimmy*) and he and Lori tried to make the contents sound appealing. Uh, no.

Then Lori.tried to guilt people into donating up to $5000 towards building the equivalent of Heritage USA 2.0 by talking up the humongous Trump tax cuts the audience had received and the amazing bullshit they will send you for donating. They also tried to convince viewers to buy these cottages they are going to build there.Jimmy talked some about how God wanted him to finish building what he started before he went to prison, but he can't build it if people don't give him money.

He still claims he's innocent, so there's that.

Gabriel bitched about legal and illegal immigrants and how America is changing because of said immigrants, scary statistics, blah, blah, blah... Jim and Lori then tried to get the viewing audience to buy multiple copies of Gabriel's new book at a discount through them. So, if anyone in your life seriously watches this trainwreck, you may get Gabriel's book for Christmas, your birthday, as a hostess gift, or to commemorate the birth of a child in your family.

You have been warned....

If you are unfamiliar with Gabriel, she's originally from Lebanon, and like Dinesh D'Sousa, she makes her living by appealing to the fears and bigotry of the Fox News crowd.Jim and Lori talked positively about Sean Hannity and Judge Jeanine from Fox News while discussing Gabriel's book.

They also talked a little about the new PTL shopping channel aka Shoppin' With Jesus, and some new shows they are planning to come out with. Lori and Jim will each have a show by themselves, and Gabriel is supposed to have one too.

Not a single word about the hurricane during the show.. I did get the dishes done and made some Caesar salad dressing, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

• 3 months later...
  • Coconut Flan changed the title to Jim Bakker and the Food Buckets O'Doom