IGNORED

Jim Bakker and the Food Buckets O'Doom

Cartmann99

Good gravy, Jimmy's looking a bit old nowadays.

Back in their heyday, we (my family & I) used to call PTL as one of the two following: Pay The Lady or Pass The Loot. I think I would've liked to have met Tammy Faye; she seemed like a genuinely sweet person, especially after she & Jim divorced.

I may have mentioned this before, but about 1-2 years ago, Howard Stern & his crew bought a few of Jim Bakker's slop buckets & cooked a few things on the air. From their reactions, the food they tried (black bean burgers and some alfredo pasta thing) both looked and tasted like crap.

• Upvote 8

On 5/3/2017 at 11:38 PM, infooverload said:

I'm more perturbed his selling of the buckets/generators doesn't constitute fraud. Also shouldn't the IRS be garnishing his butt. Seriously these people cause havoc and hardly face consequences.

I noticed that Bakker uses the terms "donation"  and (IIRC) "love offereing" which I suspect has a different tax status than an outright payment, based solely on, because, well, Jim Bakker.  Perhaps it is tax deductible.   Any accountants or tax people out there who can clarify?

Jim Bakker likely meets the definition of a sociopath.  When I went to google "is Jim Bakker a sociopath" google autofilled the last word.  And in this search I discovered a new noun for Bakker and his ilk:   SCAMVANGELIST!    Hello, John Shrader!  

• Upvote 15

20 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Or are fundies in general prone to be preppers for STHF events, real or imagined? 

From the videos I've watched on YouTube, it appears that a subset of fundies are drawn to the prepper lifestyle. I haven't gone looking for such videos since Trump was inaugurated, so I have no idea if the prepper lifestyle is still as popular with fundies now that President Obama is out of the picture.

I seem to recall that Jim Bakker has said that when the rapture happens, those left behind could survive on the doom buckets which the faithful bought and didn't end up using for whatever reason. In this scenario, unused doom buckets could theoretically keep heathens alive long enough to become Christians, so I think he sells at least some of them under that pretense. 

Having extra nonperishable food and drinking water on hand in case of a natural disaster, or to smooth things over during times of financial hardship is wise, but there's better ways to achieve that goal than relying on Jim Bakker's doom buckets. :disgust:

Edited by Coconut Flan
Snipping quote.
  • Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

unused doom buckets could theoretically keep heathens alive long enough to become Christians,

Sometimes I think some Christians don't WANT certain types if people to become Christians.  I'm not so sure that Bakker would want some to NOT suffer in the case of Rapture

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

From the videos I've watched on YouTube, it appears that a subset of fundies are drawn to the prepper lifestyle. I haven't gone looking for such videos since Trump was inaugurated, so I have no idea if the prepper lifestyle is still as popular with fundies now that President Obama is out of the picture.

I seem to recall that Jim Bakker has said that when the rapture happens, those left behind could survive on the doom buckets which the faithful bought and didn't end up using for whatever reason. In this scenario, unused doom buckets could theoretically keep heathens alive long enough to become Christians, so I think he sells at least some of them under that pretense. 

No one seems clear if the Rapture happens before the Tribulation, so best be prepared for all possibilities, in case the End Times are happening now (Obama = antichrist, and so forth). 

If you are confused, End Times Ministries helps you sort it out, with such topics as 

• Lesson 1  United States Discovered in the Bible
  • Lesson 2  New World Order is World Government [obviously the United Nations]
  • Lesson 3  Islam in Bible Prophecy – The Four Horsemen
  • Lesson 4  WWIII – Entrance Ramp for the Antichrist
  • Lesson 5  Israel’s God-Given Destiny
  • Lesson 6  Israel – God’s Prophetic Time Clock

There are more lessons, but you get the idea.  They sell shit, too!  For example, the Islamic Invasion Package Video (4 DVDs!) has been marked down from over $110 to just 90 bucks!  I know, right? Lucky you! 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, EmiGirl said:

I'm not so sure that Bakker would want some to NOT suffer in the case of Rapture

I think Bakker is craven enough to embrace any and all sales techniques that might possibly put money in his bank account. For all we know, he may not even really believe in the Rapture, or an afterlife, but he can still make off of those who do. :pb_sad:

35 minutes ago, Howl said:

No one seems clear if the Rapture happens before the Tribulation, so best be prepared for all possibilities, in case the End Times are happening now (Obama = antichrist, and so forth). 

I used to get a kick out of watching YouTube videos where very earnest people were arguing over the timing of the Rapture. Is President Obama still a top contender for being the Antichrist? I would think they'd have moved on to someone new since he left office. :think:

52 minutes ago, Howl said:

They sell shit, too!  For example, the Islamic Invasion Package Video (4 DVDs!) has been marked down from over $110 to just 90 bucks!  I know, right? Lucky you! 

Whoo, that's tempting, but do I get any freeze-dried turnips with caramel dipping sauce if I purchase the videos? I've kinda gotten used to dining out of five gallon buckets. :kitty-wink:

• Upvote 4

On 5/11/2017 at 11:34 AM, nokidsmom said:

This got me to wondering how many times Tammy Faye faced this.   She had to know how some people in their circles felt about her especially after the PTL scandal, so when some people were playing super nice to her she must have figured out the hypocrisy but be nice through it all.    Maybe that was why she was shy.  If so, one couldn't blame her.

Someday, I need to get my PTL crap out and photograph it.
I have my PTL Parallel bible, the Suzy Mopett doll (whose voicebox does NOT work any more) and a few other bits.
I almost died at their water park, I had relatives who lived on-property, who, by sheer luck got out just before it all went south.

I'm fairly sure if I asked said relatives about the doom buckets, I'd be told (again) how beautiful the whole thing was, and how satan brought it down.
I always saw Tammy Faye as a puppet who was sucked in repeatedly by user men--not that she wasn't a ackass at different places in that time, but she was a sucker who got used.

I will say, the 'pre trib' people (who believe the rapture happens Before the 7 years of tribulation hell--with Pre-Trib believing before, and mid-trib, not shockingly, believing in the middle) tend to be non-militant about the rapture timeline--I mean, they have opinions, but generally they're open to the idea that they could have their pin in the wrong place in the timeline, and putting up a few doom buckets might be worthwhile.

• Upvote 4

On 4/19/2017 at 1:42 PM, Anonymousguest said:

Hahaha! I'm out of the loop. I remember Jim from the scandal in the 80s, and who hasn't compared someone's makeup up to Tammy Faye's. I had no idea he was back and selling buckets of food. Those clips are hysterical. I thought he was going to choke and vomit in the one where he was eating the soup. Mmmmm so delicious, eating soup out of a bucket! (There is an Indian place beat me that serves their buffet from big kettles and once I saw then come fill them from 3 gallon buckets, and the sound of them dumping from bucket to kettle nearly made me vomit and I never went back. I may have been pregnant, but still it's just gross.) 

And really, it's such a sensible spending choice when your food doubles as furniture! 

Don't forget it can double as a toilet.  

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Don't forget it can double as a toilet.  

Before or after you eat the food?  Or is it so terrible that it wouldn't make a difference?

• Upvote 10

8 hours ago, Flossie said:

Before or after you eat the food?  Or is it so terrible that it wouldn't make a difference?

It doesn't look like it makes much of a difference.

Edited by FloraKitty35
  • Upvote 2

Regarding the pre-, mid-, or post-Tribulation Rapture schools of thought, has anyone else read any of Hal Lindsey's books? I think all I know about the subject I learned from reading the beginning chapter of his book, The Rapture. I bought a copy of The Late, Great Planet Earth at a thrift store, but I've never mustered up enough interest to actually read it. 

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
Realized I had missed a bunch of posts and wanted to make sense. ;-)

On 5/15/2017 at 2:48 PM, Phoenix said:

I have read this thread in it's entirety to date and I guess fundies promoting bucket of doom swill is to "help" the faithful prepare for the apocalypse? Or are fundies in general prone to be preppers for STHF events, real or imagined? If it is the coming apocalypse "reasoning" I thought the apocalypse was going to happen after the rapture and all good fundies would be taken to heaven prior to the rest of us heathens and sinners who get to suffer the horrors of the apocalypse. If righteous fundies believe this and that they are in the select group who get to leave early in the rapture, why do they need buckets of Jim Bakker's goop?

I remember back in the early 2000s the Prophecy Club used to sell iodine pills for when nuclear war broke out. I was concerned that my mother never bought any. We also had the left behind companion VHS that you were supposed to leave out so after the rapture people would know what happened. 

In my experience people believe the rapture will come before the tribulation but Christians will be persecuted beforehand. Like everything will start going to shit and THEN Jesus comes back. 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'll give him credit for briefly having the doom bucket chyron on the screen during this segment. Those doom buckets aren't gonna sell themselves, Jimmy!

Spoiler

Yesterday, televangelist Jim Bakker blasted those who seek to “destroy our president,” claiming that the people who want to see Donald Trump removed from office have “come against what God does” and are “attributing to Satan what God did” in the presidential election.

He then linked Trump’s trip to Israel and the terrorist attack in Manchester, England, to the recent closure of the Ringling Brothers Circus, which he took as a sign from God.

Bakker blamed the Ringling Brothers closure on a nonexistent national law banning elephants from the circus—while a few cities have barred circus workers from using bullhooks, there is no national law against performing elephants—which he contrasted with the legalization of abortion.

The closure of the circus company due to the supposed elephant ban, he said, is a sign from God because the elephant is also the symbol of the Republican Party. Like the circus losing its elephants, he implied, America will fall if it loses Trump.

“Revelation is now, people,” Bakker continued. “Here’s what God spoke to me: The circus is over. Life as we know it, unless we turn back to God, it’s not going to be fun anymore.”

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/bakker-ringling-brothers-circus-closing-was-a-sign-from-god-about-the-last-days/

Is it just me, or does the current Mrs. Bakker seem like she could be entertained for hours with some dryer lint and the cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper? 

Edited by Cartmann99
  • Upvote 14

I'll give him credit for briefly having the doom bucket chyron on the screen during this segment. Those doom buckets aren't gonna sell themselves, Jimmy!

[/url] Spoiler Yesterday, televangelist Jim Bakker blasted those who seek to “destroy our president,” claiming that the people who want to see Donald Trump removed from office have “come against what God does” and are “attributing to Satan what God did” in the presidential election.

He then linked Trump’s trip to Israel and the terrorist attack in Manchester, England, to the recent closure of the Ringling Brothers Circus, which he took as a sign from God.

Bakker blamed the Ringling Brothers closure on a nonexistent national law banning elephants from the circus—while a few cities have barred circus workers from using bullhooks, there is no national law against performing elephants—which he contrasted with the legalization of abortion.

The closure of the circus company due to the supposed elephant ban, he said, is a sign from God because the elephant is also the symbol of the Republican Party. Like the circus losing its elephants, he implied, America will fall if it loses Trump.

“Revelation is now, people,” Bakker continued. “Here’s what God spoke to me: The circus is over. Life as we know it, unless we turn back to God, it’s not going to be fun anymore.”

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/bakker-ringling-brothers-circus-closing-was-a-sign-from-god-about-the-last-days/

Is it just me, or does the current Mrs. Bakker seem like she could be entertained for hours with some dryer lint and the cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper? 

I think a diminished intellect would be required to live with Jim Baker. Plus you have to love how doom and gloom is the major seller for his crap. Funny since his Bible and Jesus which he claims to be well versed in say not to be fearful. Yet, it seems many a Christian will buy into fear tactics. They are stables to certain participants of the faith. Either way the old man will keep hawking his buckets of doom until he dies. I keep wondering how long Pat Robertson is going to shuffle his geriatric butt onto the television stage. Both these guys seem to just keep going and going, yet other than unintentional comedy I see nothing of value they are bringing.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

I love a good laugh before 7 am!  It gets the day off to a great start. 

Yup, Jim Bakker peddles fear for profit, just like Limbaugh peddles indignation. Scamming is in his DNA. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3

Holy crap, I didn't know he was still alive and certainly not back on TV.  I remember back in the 80's watching the show.  We used to watch it late nite as a snarkfest, couldn't believe how much money people were giving them.   

They got richer, everything got bigger and everyone thought salvation would come to them, thru them.    

Pretty much everyone of those pay me money and you'll get salvation preachers had a major scandal, got on TV crying their crocodile tears begging Jesus & followers to forgive them their sins.  

Basically, a group of do as I say, not as I do preachers, cause I need to be rich and you can get me there, but ... Do.Not.Look.Behind.The.Curtain!  

Edited by Smoochie
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Smoochie said:

Holy crap, I didn't know he was still alive and certainly not back on TV.

The rumors of his death seem to be quite common. lol

• Upvote 1

Gotta give Jim Bakker some credit, though. The man turned grifting into an art form. While he is no longer at the top of the game, at least he still knows how to play it. By comparison, most of the fundies we discuss here are amateurs. Only Jim Bob Duggar comes close. Yet even he is dependent on someone else's TV network instead of owning the store himself.

• Upvote 6

• 1 month later...

Let's check in with Jim, Lori, and their dimwitted guests on The We Love Trump, Buy Some Damn Doom Buckets Before God Smites You Show!

Late last month, they had a guest, Ray Gano, who believes that God requires Christians to be preppers:

Here’s how Gano gave Bakker’s prepper line a divine endorsement, paraphrasing the 15th verse from the biblical book of 1 Peter chapter 3:

"He tells us to do this, says ‘always be ready to share the hope in meekness and fear.’ Always means always. Always is in good times. Always is in bad times. Always. And if we are not always ready, then how do we share the hope? And by being prepared, by having food on hand, by having these things on hand, it’s less of a distraction now that the enemy can use against us. And now I have that freedom ‘cause I’m not burdened with, ‘oh, wow, what are my kids gonna eat,’ or whatever, and now I can share the hope."

Lori shilled the doom buckets more effectively in this episode:

Lori Bakker likened Gano’s approach to her experience of feeding poor children before telling them Bible stories, and then segued seamlessly into a pitch for “all these amazing food offers,” including the enticing “Fiesta Pail.”

Spoiler

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/jim-bakker-guest-god-requires-christians-to-be-preppers/

From earlier this month, Jim has an idea to protect Trump from the evil-doers who oppose him:

In a conversation with pro-Trump “prophet” Frank Amedia this week, televangelist Jim Bakker proposed that “all the church people” band together to launch a “class action suit against them, whoever they are” who are “literally stripping the power from the president of the United States.”

Spoiler

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/jim-bakker-proposes-a-class-action-lawsuit-against-those-literally-stripping-the-power-from-trump/

So, in Jim's world, being a Christian means supporting Donald Trump no matter what.

*sighs* This isn't going to end well.

• Upvote 8

Your honor, I'd like to file a class-action lawsuit against "Them."

• Upvote 7

Them.jpg On my way to serve the writ.

Edited by Seahorse Wrangler
spelling
  • Upvote 9

• 1 month later...

Those of you who follow some of the more interesting characters and websites that one finds on the internet, are well aware that the upcoming eclipse is causing some folks to lose their everlovin' minds. Everything from Jesus will be showing up with his Consecrated Christian Catapult™ to fling the deserving to their heavenly award, to the imaginary planet Niburi putting the pedal to the metal and roaring through the universe like an old 60s muscle car to smash into the earth and kill us all. 

Anyhoo, Jim Bakker wants you Godless heathens to know that the eclipse is God's way of telling you to repent from your sinful ways. Also, too, there was a double rainbow recently over the White House, which means we are supposed to be "in convent" with the White House, and to stop mocking God's prophets because we are in the Last Days™!!

Sadly, I'm really disappointed that there was no shilling of the almighty doom buckets in this clip. How am I supposed to provide high quality doom bucket snarkage, if Jim can't be bothered to shill them?!?

Serious question, why isn't Jim Bakker on Trump's evangelical advisory panel? He's got other sleazy pulpit pimps, why not Jim and the doom buckets?

• Upvote 5

Maybe the Buckets O' Doom aren't moving well and he has a better profit margin on the Jewish calendar.  

3 for 2

2017-2018 Jewish Calendar

This full-color 16-month calendar begins September 2017 and goes through December 2018. It features beautiful color photographs from locations throughout Israel.

Due to high demand, please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.

$30.00

That would be $30 plus shipping! 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

Why would he be hawking the Jewish calendar?  Has he gone Messianic?

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Jim Bakker and the Food Buckets O'Doom