IGNORED

Focus on the Family Brings Back BRIO! Just in time to save your purity....

nelliebelle1197

On 20 April 2017 at 1:05 AM, Rachel333 said:

I used to get Brio. I got a trial subscription of the Brio magazine for older teens, but my mom thought it was too racy.

Me too! Sheltered me loved it back then!

On 25 April 2017 at 7:33 PM, nelliebelle1197 said:

OMG, I cannot believe you said MAGNOLIA PEARL. I actually looked her up yesterday out of the blue. She still looks dirty no matter how many $300 rags she sells.

Autumn Alcott, '98, is a professor of theology.

She does not mention being a Brio Girl in her bio.

https://www.merrimack.edu/live/profiles/351-autumn-alcott-ridenour

I remember her being the Brio Girl! In fact, I thought of Autumn as soon as I saw this thread!

17 hours ago, bertnee said:

Oh Brio. I was subscribed for years. Does anyone else remember the big controversy over guys and girls falling asleep together? I.e, while on a youth retreat or watching a movie? Shelly was Strongly Opposed and thought it was opening the door for sin. She did not think guys and girls could really be just friends. (or at least that's the impression I remember)

Also I remember wondering if Shelly was a lesbian for some reason. I don't know why.

Yes to both!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/18/2017 at 0:23 PM, December said:

I used to read the more salacious teen mags and novels when I was in high school.

Sassy magazine was my absolute, hands down, favorite magazine when I was a teenager.  To this day I miss it, and would possibly still read it if it were still around.  Seventeen was okay, but a little vapid for my taste.  But oh how I loved Sassy.

My kids get Seventeen magazine, delivered to our house. I think my Mom bought the subscription from one of those fundraiser things. But it's like a 3 year subscription. Unending.

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Loveday said:

Seventeen and Teen Vogue are still out there, not sure how well they're doing these days, though. I used to love reading Seventeen back in the late 60s and early 70s, I'll be sorry if it disappears from newsstands. I tried to get my daughter interested in it when she was in middle and high school, but she didn't care for it. Too busy being a teen to sit down and read about being a teen, I guess! :pb_lol:

My teens love seventeen and teen vogue. 

I was mostly off the religion train by the time I got into high school, so I've never heard of Brio, but it seems like something I would have loved if I had seen it. I did subscribe to Seventeen and YM, this would have been in the early 2000s, and I always really liked Seventeen. I remember the editor at the time, Atoosa Rubenstein, always wrote these really great letters in each issue that made her seem so relatable, and I never felt like Seventeen fit the stereotype of the typical teen magazine. I thumbed through an issue several years ago and it was much more in line with the stereotypes and not the magazine I remembered loving. YM had the BEST embarrassing stories section, though.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:00 AM, vspielman said:

Sassy magazine was my absolute, hands down, favorite magazine when I was a teenager.  To this day I miss it, and would possibly still read it if it were still around.  Seventeen was okay, but a little vapid for my taste.  But oh how I loved Sassy.

I was a Teen People girl. They had a lot of really good articles back in the day that didn't shy away or sugarcoat some pretty heavy issues. I remember reading an article about a guy who was transitioning from female to male, and the whole article just humanized what being transgender was in a way that I think shaped my mindset about LGBT rights very early on -- this was just a normal teen like me (well, OK, I was like 11 when this article was written), and he was just getting some surgery and meds to be healthier, happier, and more comfortable in his own skin. So I'm always going to have a soft spot for Teen People, because I think their articles were a great way to help young girls understand the world.

7 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

My teens love seventeen and teen vogue. 

To be completely honest, I just wanted an excuse to read them again myself. :pb_redface: :pb_lol: I did subscribe for her, for a year or so, but I was the one who read them. She was never into all my old teen novels from the 50s and 60s, either--I couldn't even get her to read Anne of Green Gables or Little Women! :doh: I live in hope that she'll have a daughter someday who will be interested in Grandma's books and will want a subscription to Seventeen--if it's still being published by then! 

On 4/30/2017 at 2:28 PM, bertnee said:

Also I remember wondering if Shelly was a lesbian for some reason. I don't know why.

It was the hair. Not exactly "feminine". 

I was lucky enough to have all of the FOTF mags- clubhouse, brío, brio & beyond. The one article that has always stuck with me was "tales of an (almost) 25 year old virgin" about a girl who got married just before her 25th birthday thus avoiding life as an old maid. It still haunts me. 

Archived