IGNORED

Who's the "new generation" of bloggers?

NachosFlandersStyle

Can we have a thread to share/discuss newcomers to the fundie blogosphere? I've been thinking lately about how a lot of the bloggers we discuss have scaled back their internet presence, and who is replacing them. I know we've discussed some more recent writers like the GirlDefined sisters but I wanted to know who else is out there, so I spent some time going through linkups/blog comments looking for newer, active sites. I'm sure I probably missed where a few of these have been mentioned before.

crownofbeautymagazine.com-- slick online mag that recently ran an interview with some of the Duggar girls

sendthelightblog.wordpress.com-- friends with the Crown of Beauty founder. A number of really cringe-inducing political posts.

chosenbythepotter.blogspot.com-- features a lot of interviews with other bloggers (in between posting flowery poetry)

apinchoffaith.com/blog-- a modesty-obsessed stay-at-home-wife

ourwoodhome.com-- similar to the above

redheadmom8.wordpress.com-- super-smug homeschool mom who believes compulsory education is the root of moral decline

godzgeargirls.blogspot.com-- Australian stay-at-home-daughters. Punctuation-challenged.

Any others you've been reading?

I think the yonger generation is turning more to social media.

23 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

I think so too. Instagram most likely. It's even easier to show how perfect your fundie family is on instagram. 

31 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Yeah, it's harder and harder to find diary-style personal blogs these days. The proper websites tend to be "ministries" or shiny lifestyle brands instead.

5 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

godzgeargirls.blogspot.com-- Australian stay-at-home-daughters. Punctuation-challenged.

Australian SAHDs?  If it wasn't for the punctuation, my sister might be interested :P

Looking at Godzgear Girls I think you mean they're Australian "God loving sister's", because that's how they describe themselves. :pb_razz: Grammatically challenged is right!  That looks like a source of fundie comedy gold.  From a post about skills to put in your hope chest:

Basic Health Knowledge
What do you do if someone has a high fever? What about if they sprain their ankel? 

Indeed!  What if they sprain their ankle as well?

Colour coordination is another skill for your hope chest apparently.  As is simple DIY like learning to change a lightbulb.

http://godzgeargirls.blogspot.com.au/2017/03/bath-time-for-your-tiny-tots.html

This a post from their "Dear Mother" telling us all how to bathe children, because some poor parents were finding it difficult!  When Dear other looked after the children it was easy and she realised the parents had no idea how to look after their children.  I know my blessings never behave for someone else when they'd be terrors for me. :pb_lol: As someone who has not only had 3 of my own blessings but also seen hundreds of other people's blessings turn up in hospital after an accident I'm dying at the idea that most accidents happen when their mother isn't watching or hasn't prepared a safe place for her children.  Yeah it's that easy lady, keep telling yourself that.  If only it were so simple to have children who understand grammar!

Their recipes include "delectable chocolate self sourcing pudding" and "last minuet delicious chocolate surprise".  Perfect for that last minuet of the night!  I would have thought a minuet may be too raunchy for some of this lot?  Or "Double chocolate biscuits with no chocolate" which have optional chocolate chips.

16 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Yeah, it's harder and harder to find diary-style personal blogs these days. The proper websites tend to be "ministries" or shiny lifestyle brands instead.

Yes, so many fundie (lite) lifestyle pages on Tumblr, Pinterest, etc. Maybe not as comprehensive as some of the older-gen blogs, but entertaining still. Maybe listing tags/hashtags of interest would be more useful for these kind of sites. 

This is an interesting collection! I've been wondering about this myself -- I've seen Our Wood Home but not the other ones.

Part of me honestly wishes there were more narrative fundie blogs and fewer monetized / how-to ("8 Books About Being A Wife!" "Daily Outfits Week 5!" "How to do (zyx overly simple tutorial) hair!") because I honest-to-goodness enjoy getting a peek into peoples' lives and thoughts, even if I disagree or am disgusted with their worldview. Narrative / diary-style entries are way more fascinating and likely to encourage my empathy than fashion/fundie blogs that act more like aspiring magazines. I actually get a kick out of Chelsy Bontrager's blog because it's a little more diary-like than many others, despite the fact that the Bontragers generally are as obnoxious as any megafamily.

21 minutes ago, Kariina said:

Part of me honestly wishes there were more narrative fundie blogs and fewer monetized / how-to ("8 Books About Being A Wife!" "Daily Outfits Week 5!" "How to do (zyx overly simple tutorial) hair!") because I honest-to-goodness enjoy getting a peek into peoples' lives and thoughts, even if I disagree or am disgusted with their worldview.

Same! For example, I was looking at this one: moreradiance.com the other day, and thought it should be interesting-- young stay-at-home daughter, skirts only, recently engaged after courtship-- but she hardly mentions her personal life. That's her prerogative of course, but I'm much more interested in personal updates than I am in "top 5 ways to look cute and modest" or whatever.

It would be terribly boring, but we've toyed with the idea of starting a family blog to help all of us improve our writing/communication skills. Don't know that we ever will, but I'd hate for it to get picked up here lol. 

47 minutes ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

It would be terribly boring, but we've toyed with the idea of starting a family blog to help all of us improve our writing/communication skills. Don't know that we ever will, but I'd hate for it to get picked up here lol. 

I blog anonymously just to flex my writing muscle, so to speak. I was actually "inspired" by an old fundie friend who does the same. I don't have anything in particular about my life that I'm sensitive about, but it's freeing to participate in blogging communities that I enjoy without worrying about people being able to look me up by name and judge me for the little things. I'm not even talking about forums like this or GOMI -- I just don't want my boss, for instance, or anyone in professional organizations to be able to google my name and get an avalanche of blog entries. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thismodestmom.com is one we've been talking about on another thread. She's very snark-worthy.

The one caveat I would give about her is that she's monetized, and I strongly suspect she is willing to at least exaggerate if not outright lie to try to stir up controversy and thus pageviews. She's an interesting fundie read, but I'd take her with a grain of salt for that reason.

14 hours ago, Kariina said:

I blog anonymously just to flex my writing muscle, so to speak. I was actually "inspired" by an old fundie friend who does the same. I don't have anything in particular about my life that I'm sensitive about, but it's freeing to participate in blogging communities that I enjoy without worrying about people being able to look me up by name and judge me for the little things. I'm not even talking about forums like this or GOMI -- I just don't want my boss, for instance, or anyone in professional organizations to be able to google my name and get an avalanche of blog entries. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That makes sense. As someone said above, when it comes to families, the diary style blogs seem to be the only interesting ones. Not sure how to make that anonymous.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently fallen into the Daughters of Promise, Anabaptist sphere of fundie social media, I've honestly considered grabbing a print subscription because it reminds me a lot of my childhood.

16 hours ago, FundiesInParis said:

I've recently fallen into the Daughters of Promise, Anabaptist sphere of fundie social media, I've honestly considered grabbing a print subscription because it reminds me a lot of my childhood.

Thanks, that's one I'll have to read more about. Their magazine looks pretty slick and modern in a way that many of the other Christian teen magazines fail to achieve, but the content is still more or less patriarchal. I don't entirely understand the spectrum of Anabaptists; I've known some pretty progressive Mennonites but I know they can get very politically conservative as well.

On 19/04/2017 at 5:18 PM, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

That makes sense. As someone said above, when it comes to families, the diary style blogs seem to be the only interesting ones. Not sure how to make that anonymous.  

Of course, you have to have something to write about. The Maxwells have bugger all.

This maybe relates more to social media in general, but I specifically can't stand Audrey + Jeremy Roloff ('Always more', ugh so smug) and Girl Defined sisters. Both are so smug, and do not seem to realize they are mainly so succesful because they are considered beautiful people. They are attractive/fashionable/hipster and that is why they are popular.

I find the different fundie light vlogs on YouTube quite interesting (farmhousefull)

While sorting through the Big Sandy IG posts, I found the blog of 20 year old SAHD Kimberly Snyder.  She comes from a larger homeschooling (formerly missionary) family in Oklahoma and blogs at peculiaronpurpose.com and its sub-blog modest on purpose.  

She recently authored an article discussing whether women, or girls as she calls them, should attend college.  It included such gems as "men are supposed to be the primary breadwinners of their homes" and "it is His will you stay home."

3 hours ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

While sorting through the Big Sandy IG posts, I found the blog of 20 year old SAHD Kimberly Snyder.  She comes from a larger homeschooling (formerly missionary) family in Oklahoma and blogs at peculiaronpurpose.com and its sub-blog modest on purpose.  

She recently authored an article discussing whether women, or girls as she calls them, should attend college.  It included such gems as "men are supposed to be the primary breadwinners of their homes" and "it is His will you stay home."

Ooh, this is a good one. I'm going back through her stuff and looking at some of the friends who comment on her posts. She's involved with a group called "In the Gap," which from what I can tell is some kind of ATI offshoot? One of David Waller's sisters is involved. I hadn't heard of it before.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the "modesty obsessed housewives", Christina of Our Wood Home found out about this thread and posted a lengthy reply on her blog. 

She doesn't get why we're snarking about her. 

In the meantime, I don't get why you need to stay at home all day as a housewife when there's no kids to take care of. What does she do all day? And how is her husband okay with that?

thehelpmates.com is one I've seen that's fairly active still. It's two women, both in their 20's, co-writing the blog. I'd say they're more fundie-lite. Both women have a set of young twins, one set naturally conceived and the other through embryo adoption. Of course I'm happy for them since I know infertility is horrible but it irritates me that they insist that embryos are full human beings and that they're saving these embryos by letting them be born. I just don't understand how anyone can truly believe that. What about identical twins? They were once one embryo but are now two different people. If an embryo is exactly the same as a person then what happened there? And if there was a situation where you had to choose between saving one newborn baby or 100 frozen embryos would anyone hesitate in the slightest to choose the baby? But according to that particular kind of pro-life rhetoric the embryos should have the same moral value as the baby.

4 hours ago, SrMaryEloquentia said:

In the meantime, I don't get why you need to stay at home all day as a housewife when there's no kids to take care of. What does she do all day? And how is her husband okay with that?

Reading back in her blog, it sounds like she lost her job a few years ago, had a lot of trouble getting back into the workforce, and just sort of leaned into it as a lifestyle? She finally got a job as a cashier, but god told her that she needed to quit.

She's also got a post about what she does all day. It's literally just getting dressed, tidying up around the house, and making dinner. At least she admits that this doesn't actually take up much of her time.  ourwoodhome.com/what-i-do-before-my-husband-gets-home/

How about m is for mama? It's verrrrry pinteresty

Archived