IGNORED

Tony Miano graced Galena, Illinois with his presence

47of74

Tony Miano has graced Galena, Illinois with his street preaching presence.  Someone took exception to that.

telegraphherald.com/news/tri-state/article_dc7d5cf7-4093-5d81-8b75-c5af1223ca10.html

Andrew J. Steil, 44, is charged in Jo Daviess County Circuit Court with aggravated assault, obstructing a police officer and driving upon a sidewalk, according to online court records. Galena police said Steil also was issued a city ordinance citation charging disorderly conduct. 

A press release states that Galena police were dispatched to the intersection of North Main and Diagonal streets at about 2:40 p.m. Saturday "in reference to a heated argument." Police determined a "verbal altercation" had taken place between Steil and Anthony Miano, of Davenport, Iowa, who is a retired Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department deputy and now is a preacher and evangelist. 

Police then viewed a video recording related to the incident, the release states. Court documents state that Steil "accelerated and entered onto the sidewalk toward Anthony Miano with his vehicle, thereby placing Anthony Miano in reasonable apprehension of receiving a batttery."

Here's the video of the truck driver getting stupid - go to 10:20. 

Seriously, dude.  You just gave him and these other reich wingers ammo to use against others who don't like them. 

Best thing is to just ignore them and not engage with them.  Sooner or later they'll get bored or run afoul of the law and then go away.

I actually met Tony Miano about 6 years ago, but he didn't make a memorable impression on me.  Like, I was around him for over a week and don't remember anything he said.

Tony Miano is a professional annoyer.  Why would Tony Miano film his street actions?  He's a provocateur.  Interesting that he didn't try to preach to the cops and shut up the entire time they were there.  

Isn't Miano a retired or ex cop?

46 minutes ago, Howl said:

Isn't Miano a retired or ex cop?

That's what it says in @47of74's original post. :)

Police determined a "verbal altercation" had taken place between Steil and Anthony Miano, of Davenport, Iowa, who is a retired Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department deputy and now is a preacher and evangelist. 

I'm sure Tony Miano checks in with local cops to 1) let them know he's an ex cop and 2) to see if it's legal to do street preaching

The cops immediately took the heckler down, based solely on how Miano characterized the interaction. Could be the heckler is already known to police, but still.  

Miano was arrested in Dundee, Scotland in 2014 for ranting in public about sexual sin. 

Tony Miano must be getting bored with being arrested for homophobic hate speech in the UK.  He was arrested in Scotland and also in England (Wimbledon).  Pastor Josh Williamson, his hateful side-kick in Scotland, has been arrested in Perth a couple of times too.

Miano does do his homework and actually tries to provoke arrests for the publicity.  The guy was a complete idiot to have threatened him with his truck like that, because it did play right into his hands.

But I'm afraid I found the "I love Aphrodite! I love Zeus!" part quite funny.  

Also, I'm not familiar with the modified (open-sided, sleeveless) T-shirt  worn by the heckler.  Is that a thing? 

11 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

But I'm afraid I found the "I love Aphrodite! I love Zeus!" part quite funny.  

Ditto! 

And the people in the businesses behind or across the street were probably were none too thrilled with either Tony or the other guy standing outside on the main drag screaming at the tops of their lungs on a Saturday afternoon.  Weekends are Galena's busiest times and it looks like it cut down on the amount of foot traffic around him.  I'm surprised someone didn't call the cops before hand to see if Tony could be encouraged to move on.

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Also, I'm not familiar with the modified (open-sided, sleeveless) T-shirt  worn by the heckler.  Is that a thing? 

Ditto! 

We see them up here in the midwest, especially when it's warmer out.  I've seen guys wearing them at the gym before. 

I Love Zeus and I Love Aphrodite would be excellent user title suggestions.

Dammit, downtowns are endangered enough! The tourists and merchants and townspeople who still patronize them do NOT deserve to have a pleasant Saturday ruined by an angry man's ranting!

If Miano were truly bold about his message, he'd stand in the middle of a Wal-Mart parking lot and spew his free speech. Get to where the masses are, and interfere with the commercial enterprises of actual billionaires!!! And not the mom & pops who are trying to make a living from their little shops!

9 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Dammit, downtowns are endangered enough! The tourists and merchants and townspeople who still patronize them do NOT deserve to have a pleasant Saturday ruined by an angry man's ranting!

If Miano were truly bold about his message, he'd stand in the middle of a Wal-Mart parking lot and spew his free speech. Get to where the masses are, and interfere with the commercial enterprises of actual billionaires!!! And not the mom & pops who are trying to make a living from their little shops!

Yeah, he should have gone up the hill to the local Wally World. 

I found another article and the businesses weren't bothered so much about how much Miano luuuuvvvvsss Jeeezus, but rather the volume at which he made his man crush on the big guy known.

kwwl.com/story/35170378/area-man-faces-multiple-charges-for-nearly-running-over-self-proclaimed-street-preacher-with-pickup-truck

Steil eventually gets out the truck, and in the video is seen heckling Miano. "Aphrodite is the best. Zeus is my favorite God, I love Zeus."

The confrontation unfolding in front of dozens of tourists. 

Numerous business owners tell KWWL they're not bothered by Miano standing on the sidewalk preaching. The issue for them was the level of noise. "There's a such thing as freedom of speech, but not when it becomes a public nuisance. When it gets too loud, it's not fair to the people and not fair to us business people here," said Kate White, manager of the Dowling House Tours.

Wow, when real world's collide, in a hard way.  I know and have known the guy in the red shirt for years and years.  Used to go see his band play in Galena, and Northern Wisconsin, dated the drummer from the band for a bit.   He is actually a totally cool guy who has a great band, guess he was just having a bad day.

ETA, Tony Miano had been preaching in the street for 4 hours at that point and Andy just got freaking tired of it as did a number of business owners.

M.

Galena is a popular vacation spot, though I have never been, I know people who visit often and have vacation homes there. A Saturday afternoon could very well be full of tourists. I found the interaction amusing, and if my kids were not present, would of sat down with a cup of coffee to enjoy the show. Maybe even cheer on the red shirt guy. I'm glad someone defended him. I wish he was not aggressive with his car and just messed with him.

Archived