IGNORED

Seewalds 21: Walking Around Waco

choralcrusader8613

4 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

My understanding is (within the Protestant traditions here) if you've been confirmed into your church/made your declaration of faith you can take communion in any church. For instance, my other half is Presbyterian and his minister knows I'm Anglican but still lets me take communion in his church if I'm present because I've been through confirmation in my church. 

Not sure if it's the same for the Catholic Church but hey no one stopped me :pb_lol:

That's my understanding too.  And I think God belongs to the people not the Church.  I have taken communion in Catholic church on more than once; no roof fell in.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Mela99 said:

When DH and I were doing our pre-Cana stuff with the priest, I had to sign paperwork asking the diocese to approve the marriage and attesting that the "mixed cult of marriage" was not to a heathen nor to a member of a known cult. We nearly died trying not to laugh. Ask me about the natural family planning classes sometime. I took notes. 

* Mela is still a practicing Catholic. Just one with a good sense of humor about her people. 

When my brother got married, he had my dad sign something saying he was baptized, and the reason is that he was baptized by my dad because he nearly died of pneumonia at a month old. I'm sure that was done to shut up the grandparents, as he probably wouldn't have been baptized otherwise, as the only members of my generation who were baptized in my dad's family were those who weren't expected to live. My youngest cousin was the other grandchild who had a hospital baptism as he was a micropreemie.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:23 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Me too, but I panicked for a second thinking there was THE announcement we are all dreading then I remember, nope just HOT guys.  I'll leave my current hot guy obsession here. 

tumblr_nah1g0QEvb1qa3j7jo1_500.png

HI, who is this? :)

thank you

5 hours ago, snowgirl said:

HI, who is this? :)

thank you

Sam Heughan the male protagonist int he Outlander TV Series

To  add my two cents to the communion discussion, yes, intercommunion was more common in the 70s because we were more ecumenical during that time.  Some priests will still welcome anyone who wants to receive, some may welcome those who are more likely to view communion more like Catholics (members of the Anglican Communion, Lutherans and Orthodox), and with some, you must be Catholic.  

When my daughter died in 1988, many of my friends from LLL came to Katherine's funeral.  A little more than a week later, we were gathered together again for the funeral of a Leader's husband who had been killed in a traffic accident.   At Katherine's funeral,  the priest did not announce that only Catholics should receive communion while the priest did at Tom's funeral.  One of our Leader friends who is Episcopal went forward to receive the Eucharist anyway.  She told me that it's what Tom would have wanted and I agree.

2 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

To  add my two cents to the communion discussion, yes, intercommunion was more common in the 70s because we were more ecumenical during that time.  Some priests will still welcome anyone who wants to receive, some may welcome those who are more likely to view communion more like Catholics (members of the Anglican Communion, Lutherans and Orthodox), and with some, you must be Catholic.  

When my daughter died in 1988, many of my friends from LLL came to Katherine's funeral.  A little more than a week later, we were gathered together again for the funeral of a Leader's husband who had been killed in a traffic accident.   At Katherine's funeral,  the priest did not announce that only Catholics should receive communion while the priest did at Tom's funeral.  One of our Leader friends who is Episcopal went forward to receive the Eucharist anyway.  She told me that it's what Tom would have wanted and I agree.

I think it is a personal preference that each person to does or doesn't take communion or Priest who allows or doesn't allow it.  My mother & her sister would have a holy hell FIT if I tried to go for communion with out going to confession first, even thought I have stepped foot in a catholic mass other than weddings or funerals in 30 years, I've been baptized, had my 1st communion been confirmed in the catholic church though my marriage was not blessed by the church and my kids have not received any catholic training or up bringing, if I went to confession did my 1 million hail Mary's I would be fine again. I would never receive communion in a Catholic church because it doesn't represent MY current faith, and I would consider it a betrayal of my current beliefs.  This is also MY PERSONAL BELIEF and I don't begrudge anyone who thinks differently. Our church does Communion a couple times a year it isn't a regular thing it is for Easter, and usually during a special service once or twice during the year. 

I've only been associated with Catholic churches where it is stated that Only Catholics in a state of Grace may approach the altar for Communion. This is for several reasons. 
Non Catholics don't believe in transubstantiation; therefore, they don't reverence the Eucharist in the same way a Catholic is supposed to..

It's to discourage the "Christmas and Easter Catholics" who only show up at weddings, funerals, baptisms, Christmas and Easter. Catholicism is supposed to be a way of life, not a social event.

Catholics in a state of sin will be sinning more by taking Eucharist before partaking of Reconciliation. 

Now. Non' Catholics and sinning Catholics may approach the altar, but are supposed to indicate by folding arms over their chests, that they do not receive communion, and then they will receive a blessing, just as children under the age to receive communion will do. This is to promote inclusiveness.

There seems to be a tremendous amount of leeway in this practice. It varies from priest to priest. I know one man, married to a Catholic woman, who is himself non Catholic. He has always gone to Communion. His wife told me that he talked to the priest but didn't want to "out" himself by going through the RCIA program to actually become Catholic. (? not sure why) The priest told him that if he believes in transubstantiation, he can receive, and voila! he does! and has for years! Must be nice.

It is interesting to hear what practices go on in other places.

It's interesting to read about the varying practices and approaches various denominations have. 

I don't have a religion currently. I was raised and confirmed Catholic, but left for various reasons. I feel kind of sad that I have no spiritual home, but I honestly don't know what I believe - if I had to label it, maybe Deism? 

I don't want to feel pressured to sign my daughter up for a commitment if I'm not absolutely positive it's what I believe or what her father believes. Most importantly, I don't want to make a commitment for her without knowing it's what she will believe as an adult - I want her to make her own choices. I feel like it would be shitty and offensive to baptize her just to hedge our bets when we aren't practicing members of a faith. If anyone has recommendations I can look at on various faiths (Christian be non-Christian) I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to figure out what I actually believe.

That said, out of all the Christian denominations I know about (not very much to be honest), Episcopal seems like the most reasonable to me personally. The people are friendly and welcoming and I like that the ones I have experience with aren't in your face preachy (though I have no doubt there are plenty of Episcopals who are jerks.) And I really like how the Pastor at my nephew's baptism (who also married my sister) approached everything - laid back, funny, and just a really happy kind of guy. You can tell he honestly believes what he says and that he truly wants to foster  an inclusive environment.

He also made a point of encouraging the babie's parents to allow them to have the tiniest bit of bread during the baptism - even if the parents then choose not to let them take part again until they were older - because he wants the babies to know they were welcomed to God's table from their very first day. 

I'll add my two cents on Henry: I'm cringing at that picture. That child is waaaaaay too young to sit like that. I hope it's only for a few minutes. It's not good for babies spinal development. Any PT would be shitting themselves seeing this.

The Episcopalian priest who officiated at my daughter's wedding was awesome.  Since she was a friend of theirs the service was warm and personal.  She was very respectful of my husband's family who is Jewish.    Best yet she did a service that was comfortable for me as an agnostic lasped Catholic and my husband a non religious cultural Jew.  If I felt the need to join a congregtion, I definitely would look at the Episcopal Church.

We raised our kids without a religion much to the dismay of both our families.  It has worked for us and our kids. We celebrate most major holidays with friends and family and enjoy the family celebrations.

51 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

If anyone has recommendations I can look at on various faiths (Christian be non-Christian) I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to figure out what I actually believe.

Snipped

I was raised and confirmed as a Catholic as well. My family isn't really religious and they only had me baptised and confirmed because it was the thing you did.

As an adult, I recently found a need for spiritual enlightenment (community, fellowship). I went looking for a church last year. I found one, it's a nondenominational Christian church. It welcomes everyone and doesn't bang your head in like I felt my Catholic church did (I'm not saying being a Catholic is bad, just not right for me). Since then, I go every week and every week I see evidence to support that the Lord is real. I'm not trying to rub anyones nose in religion but I want to share my experience.

Just last night, I went looking for a parking spot in my complex, circled the whole thing and finally just asked the Lord for a spot for my car or if I should park on visitors. Lo and behold I drove around one more time and someone was leaving. I don't believe in coincidence so I believe it was the Lord.

I still have questions and concerns and a desire for answers but for now these little things that happen seem amazing to me. I don't have anyone really to share these things with but I have recently gotten my mom to realize that the lord isn't a divine dictator but instead a loving parent.

Life is hard but having a belief that there is someone/something looking out for me is calming to me. I would never bash someone for their beliefs or thoughts because we're all different and Jesus would want us to accept each other. Just my thoughts...

5 hours ago, SuhrEnity said:

Sam Heughan the male protagonist int he Outlander TV Series

I cannae promise what I will do when I see him at Comic Con this year..... :my_heart:

39 minutes ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

I cannae promise what I will do when I see him at Comic Con this year..... :my_heart:

I'm so jealous! 

@Pasta- Your story is similar to mine. Raised and practiced RC for 45 years...recently switched to a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship. This group's philosophies and beliefs far more align with my own and it'a a very accepting community. 

This makes me miss college, because one of the first things I did when I transferred was to find a Church group and I found one that was associated with United Methodist church. It was honestly so welcoming and really made everyone feel welcomed which is the total opposite with my home church college group with like 95% of them only going to Christian schools and legitimately crying when one girl told us how her friend is a Jew and doesn't believe that Jesus is her savior (don't know if she knew anything about Judaism...). I'm very tempted to try this Presbyterian Church down my street who is so liberal and all accepting cause I can't handle this evangelical bull anymore.

I was raised Protestant, but identity more as a main line protestant due to it being more liberal with their beliefs.

3 hours ago, Pasta said:

I was raised and confirmed as a Catholic as well. My family isn't really religious and they only had me baptised and confirmed because it was the thing you did.

As an adult, I recently found a need for spiritual enlightenment (community, fellowship). I went looking for a church last year. I found one, it's a nondenominational Christian church. It welcomes everyone and doesn't bang your head in like I felt my Catholic church did (I'm not saying being a Catholic is bad, just not right for me). Since then, I go every week and every week I see evidence to support that the Lord is real. I'm not trying to rub anyones nose in religion but I want to share my experience.

Just last night, I went looking for a parking spot in my complex, circled the whole thing and finally just asked the Lord for a spot for my car or if I should park on visitors. Lo and behold I drove around one more time and someone was leaving. I don't believe in coincidence so I believe it was the Lord.

I still have questions and concerns and a desire for answers but for now these little things that happen seem amazing to me. I don't have anyone really to share these things with but I have recently gotten my mom to realize that the lord isn't a divine dictator but instead a loving parent.

Life is hard but having a belief that there is someone/something looking out for me is calming to me. I would never bash someone for their beliefs or thoughts because we're all different and Jesus would want us to accept each other. Just my thoughts...

Great post. It gives me hope and makes me feel alright.

Thank you.

I was born and raised Catholic. I went to a Catholic University my first 3 semesters and even joined a Catholic club (which turned out to be a cult). I broke away when I was 19. I was dating a guy who was atheist and I began to question my beliefs. Over time, and after we broke up, I began attending a Unitarian universalist congregation. I went there for awhile and after they pressured me to join, I didn't go back because I wasn't ready to make the commitment.

This new year, my boyfriend and I decided to go to a Presbyterian Church. He was raised Presbyterian. It felt like an instant fit. We go every Sunday now and feel at home. They are quite liberal in their beliefs, which is something I have always felt is important to me (and that the Catholics didn't accept) and the process is very democratic. We are considering becoming members this summer. For awhile we didn't do communion because we didn't feel it was right to just jump in right away. At first, I didn't know if I'd have to get re-baptized and reconfirmed because I didn't realize that a Catholic baptism counted as a Christian baptism. 

I was raised Protestant--Methodist as a child and southern Baptist as an adolescent. We were taught not to take communion in the latter if you're not saved or if you feel guilty. We didn't have to be baptized, just saved.  The youth all went to the contemporary service so if we saw a regular not taking communion, everyone would wonder what they had to feel guilt over. Just thinking about that makes me angry. 

8 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'll add my two cents on Henry: I'm cringing at that picture. That child is waaaaaay too young to sit like that. I hope it's only for a few minutes. It's not good for babies spinal development. Any PT would be shitting themselves seeing this.

I heard on a PT do a talk about this very thing last year.  She hated Bumbos!

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I'm not surprised. Those things are awful! There's a reason why sitting up is a developmental milestone. I have the same feelings about the walkers where you place your kid and they roll around. Walking is a huge milestone and those things are not good for development.

On 4/24/2017 at 10:06 AM, karen77 said:

Definitely Killian!!! Been watching a lot of OUaT lately, and yum.

Once Upon a Time is so horrible and has been for years, but oh god he is wonderful. lol I haven't watched since the long break mid season this year, but I do keep up with pictures of him on Tumblr :)

On 4/24/2017 at 6:22 PM, BlessaYourHeart said:

My family (the older generation) have that too only it's the other way around. As in we shouldn't take communion in a Catholic Church. 

Ive done it and funnily enough I didn't burst into flames or anything sinister. It just stuck to the roof of my mouth which kind of made me thankful that we have actual bread in my church and some wine (or perhaps sherry?) to wash it down with :pb_lol:

Ha, I grew up Catholic (now atheist) and growing up my best friend was Jewish. She'd sleep over at my house pretty much every Saturday night and for god knows what reason came to church with us Sunday mornings (my parents weren't trying to convert her or anything, they weren't like that at all). She liked to come with us, but she always wanted me to grab an extra communion wafer thing for her. It cracked me up, thinking of asking the priest for a wafer to go. I think one time she did come up and get one for herself, then stopped asking me to grab one for her. I could not convince her they were nasty til she tried it herself.

I always thought it was funny that she, the Jewish girl, wanted to go to church and I would have given anything to skip it. I think she was just intrigued by something different and of course no one was forcing her to be there and trying to get her to believe things she did not believe at all (the two biggest reasons I hated church).

I noticed the Bumbo was blue. It looks pretty well worn, too. Made me wonder in passing: If Jessa has a girl, will they have to buy a PINK bumbo, or will the old blue used one do?

12 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Oh yeah, my boys were in PT for their first year or so because of prematurity and our PT saw the unopened Bumbos that I was so excited to try out and immediately told us to just get rid of them. I think I put them in them one time to take a cute pic, then we never used them again.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived