IGNORED

Seewalds 21: Walking Around Waco

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, Percy said:

Atheist parents in law left their son with catholic MIL, he was baptised while they were out.

Nearly 60 years later and my FIL is still unhappy about it.

The bapsited son is now a practicing Jew. :my_biggrin:

My mom was born in a catholic hospital and they apparently baptized all the babies delivered there regardless of the faith of the parents. 

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

My family (the older generation) have that too only it's the other way around. As in we shouldn't take communion in a Catholic Church. 

Ive done it and funnily enough I didn't burst into flames or anything sinister. It just stuck to the roof of my mouth which kind of made me thankful that we have actual bread in my church and some wine (or perhaps sherry?) to wash it down with :pb_lol:

I didn't think non-Catholics were allowed to take Communion during Catholic mass. Is this one of those things I thought I knew, but actually don't?

2 minutes ago, nst said:

will he? good to know because i get that he is his own man - but man - 

he is winston churchill 

so because he is so big he can sit in a chair like that at 2 months? 

I'm sure he will. Elliot had a very old man look for awhile too. He also had the benefit of being very smiley plus darker hair though. Just give Henry some time. I have every confidence he'll be an absolutely adorable toddler. 

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

I didn't think non-Catholics were allowed to take Communion during Catholic mass. Is this one of those things I thought I knew, but actually don't?

I think because the family I was with were devout Catholics the priest just kind of assumed I was just the daughters Catholic friend visiting 

3 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Haha nope! You're right, they are not supposed to take communion because they haven't gone through the sacrament of Holy Communion. ;) Or something like that. 

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

Haha nope! You're right, they are not supposed to take communion because they haven't gone through the sacrament of Holy Communion. ;) Or something like that. 

My understanding is (within the Protestant traditions here) if you've been confirmed into your church/made your declaration of faith you can take communion in any church. For instance, my other half is Presbyterian and his minister knows I'm Anglican but still lets me take communion in his church if I'm present because I've been through confirmation in my church. 

Not sure if it's the same for the Catholic Church but hey no one stopped me :pb_lol:

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

I'm all excited now because I knew something. :pb_lol:

I thought I was right about that. I remember the Episcopalian Pastor who married my sister made it clear at the rehearsal and during the actual wedding that any baptized Christian was welcome to take communion during the ceremony. Same with the Methodist Church where my cousin's son was baptized. I remember being a bit confused, but ultimately pleased that there were denominations a bit more relaxed about it. 

(I think it was just baptized Christians. I could be remembering wrong and they could have been inviting anyone. But I think it was only baptized Christians.)

5 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

I think because the family I was with were devout Catholics the priest just kind of assumed I was just the daughters Catholic friend visiting 

Lol! I feel like that makes the story even better somehow.

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm all excited now because I knew something. :pb_lol:

I thought I was right about that. I remember the Episcopalian Pastor who married my sister made it clear at the rehearsal and during the actual wedding that any baptized Christian was welcome to take communion during the ceremony. Same with the Methodist Church where my cousin's son was baptized. I remember being a bit confused, but ultimately pleased that there were denominations a bit more relaxed about it. 

(I think it was just baptized Christians. I could be remembering wrong and they could have been inviting anyone. But I think it was only baptized Christians.)

Lol! I feel like that makes the story even better somehow.

The family I was with just let me take it too which is quite funny. But yeah the priest didn't even question who I was so I was Catholic by default for an hour or so 

I know that wasn't a reply to me at the top but I just wanted to say that most Protestant denominations will allow any baptised/confirmed Christian to take communion. 

Henry's two-month-old picture made me go check how old Spurgeon is, and I just now realized he's only eighteen months...at this rate, poor Spurge's gonna have three younger siblings by the time he's five (with one on the way).

Just now, Stormy said:

Henry's two-month-old picture made me go check how old Spurgeon is, and I just now realized he's only eighteen months...at this rate, poor Spurge's gonna have three younger siblings by the time he's five (with one on the way).

then she will close shop and adopt ? so every June she will have a moment 

8 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

I know that wasn't a reply to me at the top but I just wanted to say that most Protestant denominations will allow any baptised/confirmed Christian to take communion. 

Catholics are of course different in that stance. You can take communion, no one will stop you or check up on you. It's just a preference. 

That being said, I don't know why people would want to take communion. :confusion-shrug: Like you said, it certainly doesn't taste good. :D 

Just now, Carm_88 said:

Catholics are of course different in that stance. You can take communion, no one will stop you or check up on you. It's just a preference. 

That being said, I don't know why people would want to take communion. :confusion-shrug:

I take it because I'm Christian and in commemoration of Christ.

i know some women in my church who only take it because my church always has really nice wine though :coke:

At my Aunt's funeral mass a few years ago, the  priest invited only Catholics in good standing to come up for communion.

This was after one of her grandsons who had converted to an evangelical pastor completely did his own thing when it came time for his reading, instead of the one picked out in advance.

Catholic convert (from fundie-light evangelical) here! 

Yes only Catholics who are not conscious of any mortal sin should partake in communion. Most protestant churches (and I've attend almost every denomination at some point) allow any Christian who wants to partake. 

You have to understand that protestants (with the exception of some Anglican/Episcopalian) believe VERY different things about communion compared to Catholics. For Catholics the Eucharist is essentially the crux and pinnacle of the faith. It's what the entire mass revolves around essentially. Which is why technically practicing Catholics shouldn't partake in protestant communion either. 

It is often standing operating procedure at Catholic masses to say that only Catholics can take communion. It is the rule. 

I've not been to Mass except for weddings or funerals in 40 years, since the day I got married out moved out of my parents home.

Telling people they had to be Catholic to take communion was not standard practice in the 70's.   I can think of ecumenical services were everyone participated.

18 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I've not been to Mass except for weddings or funerals in 40 years, since the day I got married out moved out of my parents home.

Telling people they had to be Catholic to take communion was not standard practice in the 70's.   I can think of ecumenical services were everyone participated.

I think that could have varied from place to place.....some areas are more conservative, but on the whole, usually only Catholics can take communion. I retired from the church so I no longer attend mass so have no true current experience.

At my mother's funeral mass, the priest invited everyone to communion. Well, that was after winning the argument with the head priest about the funeral mass...the head priest REFUSED to allow my mother last rites because she hadn't been to Mass in years...well shit, she was sick, in a wheelchair and I had NO help. Her churchy friends would come over on Sunday after mass and talk shit about how I wasn't doing enough but when I called them to bring mom communion or whatever...they never showed up. FUCK THEM. That was the end of my road out of the Catholic church.

Our current sorta-fundie church has offered me a job teaching in the school. Lower level math (up to Algebra 2), computer literacy and high school bible. They knew I taught here in town and wanted to know what I could successfully teach/tutor. I gave them the list and they were pretty happy. I'll have 2 years to finish my bachelor's (I need one class). It actually pays more than what I make now...and I still have my side gigs. 

In my church, you should be baptized in our to receive communion. It's a very serious matter that should be done with introspection. After baptism you can take it as frequently as you like, and at any other church. 

Last summer I went to a Lutheran church in Palm Springs that had a choice of red or white wine. I thought that was hilarious as we have grape juice in my church. 

We have wine or grape juice because there are quite a few people in recovery in our church.

19 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

This thread: Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics, and the Catholics hate the Protestants, all the Hindus hate the Muslims, and everybody hates the Jews!

Tom Lerher rules. :my_biggrin:

17 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

Except, since Vatican II the Catholics no longer need to hate anyone. :) 

Ah, but if you mention Vatican II after a Tom Lehrer quote, I just have to quote The Vatican Rag! (Under spoiler, because not everyone has the good taste to like Tom Lehrer. :pb_lol: )

Spoiler

The Vatican Rag

by Tom Lehrer

(spoken) Another big news story of year concerned the ecumenical council in rome, known as Vatican II. Among the things they did in an attempt to make the church more commercial was to introduce the vernacular language into portions of the mass, to replace Latin, and to widen somewhat the range of music permissible in the liturgy, but I feel that if they really want to sell the product, in this secular age,

They ought to do is to redo some of the liturgical music in popular song forms. I have a modest example here. it's called the Vatican rag.

(Sung)

First you get down on your knees,

Fiddle with your rosaries,

Bow your head with great respect,

And genuflect, genuflect, genuflect!

Do whatever steps you want, if

You have cleared them with the pontiff.

Everybody say his own

Kyrie eleison,

Doin' the vatican rag.

Get in line in that processional,

Step into that small confessional,

There, the guy who's got religion'll

Tell you if your sin's original.

If it is, try playin' it safer,

Drink the wine and chew the wafer,

Two, four, six, eight,

Time to transubstantiate!

So get down upon your knees,

Fiddle with your rosaries,

Bow your head with great respect,

And genuflect, genuflect, genuflect!

Make a cross on your abdomen,

When in rome do like a roman,

Ave maria,

Gee it's good to see ya,

Gettin' ecstatic an'

Sorta dramatic an'

Doin' the vatican rag!

Spoiler

No offense intended to anyone, Catholic or otherwise. I just got a bit twisted from listening to Tom Lehrer from a young age. :)

I've just started to go to (catholic) mass frequently since about a year ago. I don't know why but it's beautiful, the  old beautiful churches, the people (often nuns and moncks attend , too) and the songs. It's just a solemn atmosphere and for me helps me to get centered, it's like meditation. The thing is , though, as I'm not "in church", which means I'm not registered in the state church in Germany, I don't pay church taxes, which are also very high. If you want to get baptized, receive the holy communion or get married in church you have to enter into one of the state churches (protestant or catholic) and pay taxes to the state. I don't even know if I would be allowed to enter into catholic state church because I have a wife. Are there any restrictions, anyone? All I know is, that, in being openly "gay" (I don't perceive myself as gay, though. It's just a coincidence that I happen to end up with a woman), I would not be able to teach in a church related institution. FYI, I would love to be a teacher, and I tried but all the non-religions schools are already overoccupied with teachers, at least that's the case in my region.

Neither my family nor my friends know about it because I grew up (extremely) atheist. They would think I'm crazy. My wife knows but doesn't say anything about it. I guess she is fine with it as long as we don't have to pay church taxes (around 9% of the income taxes where we live).

Sorry about the rant, back to the topic: I know it sounds really arrogant but it kind of amuses me how Ben is such a pseudo-intellectual. But I have to give him credit for reading and discussing topics. He was very young when he started courting Jessa. He may turn out to be a decent, somehow educated man who actually tries. I have to say my opinion on Ben has changed a bit to be more positive.

Just adding my experience into the communion conversation :) Once you're baptized/chrismated in the Eastern Orthodox Church, you can only take communion in Eastern Orthodox churches.  You also have to be baptized as an Orthodox Christian in order to actually receive communion in one of the churches and you should prepare for it before taking it, usually through prayer and fasting. 

Being Greek Orthodox, we use a sweet Greek wine called mavrodaphne for our communion and some simple bread that a families in our church switch off between baking. 

One other thing about communion in the Orthodox Church is that you can take it once you get baptized/chrismated.  It's completely normal (and encouraged) for babies and toddlers to be lined up to receive communion on a normal Sunday!

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived