IGNORED

Seewalds 21: Walking Around Waco

choralcrusader8613

1 minute ago, SilverBeach said:

Are there Scientologists in Canada? Jehovah Witnesses are everywhere except where outlawed, I guess.

I would imagine there are Scientologists, I think my friend's brother nearly got mixed up with it a while back. So there must be something, again I don't know if it's just a fringe group much like the FLDS. I think there is something though. 

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Canadian I am dying from second-hand embarrassment over here. @Fluffy14 seriously please stop.

Canada is hardly some idyllic paradise. I mean, I love living here and it is a great place to live, but we have our own fair share of Conservative crazies, awful racists, and religious fanatics. 

1 minute ago, treehugger said:

As a Canadian I am dying from second-hand embarrassment over here. @Fluffy14 seriously please stop.

Canada is hardly some idyllic paradise. I mean, I love living here and it is a great place to live, but we have our own fair share of Conservative crazies, awful racists, and religious fanatics. 

You also have make syrup though... delicious, delicious maple syrup... and Mounties... delicious, delicious Mounties...

IMG_4677.JPG.d88741e5e0680744881a2e4471277b06.JPG

:pb_lol:

26 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Making valid points and having them accepted is never helped by adding a side dish of attitude.

Because people nitpicked me over paragraphs? Because I said could instead of couldn't.  And being frustrated because people don't actually bother to read what was written and comment anyway?   I get what you are saying but nobody for the exception of two or three have cut me an ounce of slack on at least trying to understand my commentary. And if any of you did you would see that it was not done out of malicious intent. I have been studying this fundamentalism  since 2008. I lived a toned down version of it until I was 18.  Fundamentalism was brought into my church and used to keep violent offenders in my life because I had to stay under my umbrella of authority. There is a huge problem in the church with this stuff and it comes out of the conservative church in the states and  seeped into Canada and we HAD a toned down version of it until the homeschooling movement came back and now we have pockets of rigorous fundamentalist churches and homeschool families here that were not prior.

All of which simply proves my point.  There is an oft quoted expression from people running internet discussion groups:  it is seldom what you say, but almost always how you say it.  Losing your composure and throwing out expressions of frustration do not help the situation at all.  It is not the job of other readers to cut anyone slack.  The burden rests on the person trying to make a point or create an issue.  FJ is not a board where one can expect to be given breaks especially not for attitude. 

2 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

All of which simply proves my point.  There is an oft quoted expression from people running internet discussion groups:  it is seldom what you say, but almost always how you say it.  Losing your composure and throwing out expressions of frustration do not help the situation at all.  It is not the job of other readers to cut anyone slack.  The burden rests on the person trying to make a point or create an issue.  FJ is not a board where one can expect to be given breaks especially not for attitude. 

Point taken. Thank you.

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

You also have make syrup though... delicious, delicious maple syrup... and Mounties... delicious, delicious Mounties...

:pb_lol: oh yes! Between the syrup, the Mounties and our PM - it can look deceitfully delectable up here in the Great White North. 

Just please ignore the impoverished First Nations reserves, the men vying for Conservative leadership who wish to out LGTBQ youth to their parents without permission, the people making public death threats to women politicians, the teenage pro-life MPP in Ontario, etc.... We would much rather you all just focus on our shirtless prime minister. 

3 minutes ago, treehugger said:

:pb_lol: oh yes! Between the syrup, the Mounties and our PM - it can look deceitfully delectable up here in the Great White North. 

Just please ignore the impoverished First Nations reserves, the men vying for Conservative leadership who wish to out LGTBQ youth to their parents without permission, the people making public death threats to women politicians, the teenage pro-life MPP in Ontario, etc.... We would much rather you all just focus on our shirtless prime minister. 

That kind of helps, thank you. I'm about 30 minutes from the border, but all I can do is bathe in maple syrup while waxing poetically about your PM. I'm going to be honest though, "When Calls the Heart" really ruined Mounties for me. 

23 minutes ago, treehugger said:

Also Kellie Letich, ignore her. I am. 

Look at our beautiful scenery, eat some poutine with nanimo bars for dessert, and watch the majestic mounties. 

2 hours ago, Fluffy14 said:

To be fair outsiders see things you can't see when your in the thick of it.

There is a definite church culture in the USA that permeates deeply.  The church list kind of proves the point. But all I have to do is drive across the border and there is a substantial difference between the USA And Canada. All I have to do is turn on my TV. And your media is everywhere.

My focus was solely on American fundamentalism exclusively...That was my focus.

And to note if I opposed or hated the LGBTQ community ask me why I am friends with them?  At least one of you defended me in that regard. 

So down vote me all you want. All I am saying is I see things from a non American point of view. So kill me.

Not everyone here is American, and some of the Americans have lived in other countries for significant lengths of time. It's not like this is a golden opportunity to learn about what it's like on the outside looking in. Yes, there is a church culture here, but your broad strokes are what irritate me. You go from making huge sweeping statements ("all you have to do is drive across the border"), to saying you're focusing on one specific subsection.

I'm not sure where the LGBTQ thing came from. Maybe I skimmed, but the "I have [insert category here] friends, so I'm clearly an ally" line just screams the opposite of what it intends every time I hear it.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Okay VelociRapture...I'm now catching up after a soccer game (which my stomach can't handle me eating before) and you've also caught me on the last night of Passover. If I catch you making food references one more time tonight, I'm going to have to drive to get bagels, kidnap you, and drive north to the Canadian border to get some maple syrup! 

*belly grumble*

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

I am a product of CPS and was qualified for a highly selective university that I received a scholarship to attend. I was successful there. This was a long time ago, but then, as now, CPS schools varied widely in quality. Then, quality depended a lot on what neighborhood you lived in. Now, there are magnet and charter schools that are not so neighborhood dependent, but they tend to skim off the best students, so poorly performing schools perform even more poorly. Public education in Chicago remains problematic.

I was a member of a Baptist church that was in no way fundamentalist. Canada has FLDS groups, they are pretty conservative by most standards.

I think it's awful to be honest.  If it weren't for college,  I wouldn't be able to do much comprehension wise.  I wish education was actually standardized across Chicago but it isn't. It sucks that the fundies won't have that same opportunity.  

Also,  mmm Mounties... If I could see a shirtless Mountie riding a moose, my life would be complete.  Oh cover him in syrup.  Yum!

1 hour ago, missegeno said:

-snip-

I'm not sure where the LGBTQ thing came from. Maybe I skimmed, but the "I have [insert category here] friends, so I'm clearly an ally" line just screams the opposite of what it intends every time I hear it.

Lol, I don't even know why this four year old SNL skit came to mind when I read your post, but here's the link for anyone who wants to watch it.  The basic highlight is when Kevin Hart says, “You don’t think people can call you racist because Clarence Thomas is your one black friend? Nothing is more racist than having one black friend. Zero black friends is somehow less racist than having one black friend.”

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Look at our beautiful scenery, eat some poutine with nanimo bars for dessert, and watch the majestic mounties. 

Besides all that, you have the hamlet of Three Pines!  Vive Gamache! 

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Are there Scientologists in Canada? Jehovah Witnesses are everywhere except where outlawed, I guess.

I think we have a Scientologist church in a major area - I don't see people there but then I don't go there

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Also Kellie Letich, ignore her. I am. 

I had crab for easter in Victoria and didn't touch one nanimo bar but did see the empress :D 

I don't want to derail the thread but I'm responding to @amandaaries post from the last thread

Generally speaking, churches prefer those in committed relationships, but that seems to be true for both straight and homosexual preachers/pastors (does anyone know about Bi/Trans/Queer+ preachers/pastors?).

David Weekley wrote a book about his experiences as a transgender minister in the United Methodist Church, In from the Wilderness: Sherman: She-r-man

https://www.amazon.com/Wilderness-Sherman-She-r-man-David-Weekley/dp/1608995445

There's a HUGE scientology center in St. Paul, MN (with some sort of cluster of mini buildings across the street from it as well).  I've never seen people around it, but yeah, I ain't walking inside either.  No disrespect to them meant at all, but I'm not a fan of ANY hard sales tactics, either for materialism, or religious purposes.  If a religion, or Hell even a product, is actually good, people will come to you because it can stand on its own without your car salesman attempts.

As for committed relationships for any and all preachers/pastors ~ I don't think it'd personally matter to me, but I guess there's something to it, because in all my 31 years, the only single pastors/preachers/ministers I've met/heard at the pulpits/altars are the Catholic priests.  In my own UU church, our main minister is heterosexual with a wife, and the assistant minister is homosexual with a partner.

8 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Okay VelociRapture...I'm now catching up after a soccer game (which my stomach can't handle me eating before) and you've also caught me on the last night of Passover. If I catch you making food references one more time tonight, I'm going to have to drive to get bagels, kidnap you, and drive north to the Canadian border to get some maple syrup! 

*belly grumble*

.... I also like pizza.... :pb_lol:

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

.... I also like pizza.... :pb_lol:

Okay now that I have gone to my favorite bagel spot down the street and gotten a whole wheat everything bagel with cream cheese, I guess I won't kidnap you. How about we meet half way for a slice of new york pizza instead? Can someone from Canada join and bring the maple syrup please?

I love food :romance-smileyheart:

Dear Canadians,

Is there any way, the rest of the world could partake in the love for mounties? I can't speak for everyone, but I'll take pics. :)

@samurai_sarah, I tried really hard, but I couldn't find a shirtless mountie riding a moose. However, does this count as sharing?

benton-frasier.jpg

Also, because one can never have too much eye candy..

Spoiler

2D99BB9E00000578-3280490-image-a-4_1445427671470.jpg

Spoiler

aatrudeau-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

Just now, treehugger said:

@samurai_sarah, I tried really hard, but I couldn't find a shirtless mountie riding a moose. However, does this count as sharing?

benton-frasier.jpg

Oh, wow. "Due South" ! Please excuse me, while I go squee. :)

5 minutes ago, jerkit said:

I would do unspeakable things with Trudeau. 

Who wouldn't? ;):D

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived