IGNORED

Dillards 29 - Teaching Them to Make Piñatas

choralcrusader8613

The churches in my community do far more than the Duggars, including food, shelter, weekend food for kids, etc. You don't have to listen to anyone preach, either.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Add me to the pro-piñata crew. With lots of supervision and an adult available to take the stick away as soon as the piñata breaks, it doesn't seem much more dangerous than just running around outside. I loved them when I was a kid. There was always extra candy somewhere for the kids that didn't manage to grab any.

Jill and Derrick's "mission" is all the more disappointing to me because Jill actually has some level of background in how local economies function. From what they've shown of SOTDRT on 17/8/9KaC, it's a big part of what they discuss and the outings they take. On one of those Central America episodes, Jim Bob had them buy a few $100 worth of cleaning supplies from a local store, and explained how this helps both the store owners and the recipients of that supplies. I'm not a fan of bragging about the good deeds you do, but in that moment, I was really happy that the show touched on something that maybe some viewers hadn't thought about before.

This is sheer speculation, but I'm just floored by what strikes me as Jill's complete inability to synthesize and draw conclusions from her life experiences. Derrick is a whole other type of ridiculous.

26 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

Add me to the pro-piñata crew. With lots of supervision and an adult available to take the stick away as soon as the piñata breaks, it doesn't seem much more dangerous than just running around outside. I loved them when I was a kid. There was always extra candy somewhere for the kids that didn't manage to grab any.

Jill and Derrick's "mission" is all the more disappointing to me because Jill actually has some level of background in how local economies function. From what they've shown of SOTDRT on 17/8/9KaC, it's a big part of what they discuss and the outings they take. On one of those Central America episodes, Jim Bob had them buy a few $100 worth of cleaning supplies from a local store, and explained how this helps both the store owners and the recipients of that supplies. I'm not a fan of bragging about the good deeds you do, but in that moment, I was really happy that the show touched on something that maybe some viewers hadn't thought about before.

This is sheer speculation, but I'm just floored by what strikes me as Jill's complete inability to synthesize and draw conclusions from her life experiences. Derrick is a whole other type of ridiculous.

This is what makes me worried about what kind of mental/emotional limbo Jill could be in. She's eager to please and do her best and, to cite a previous discussion, Jill is not stupid; with her previous enthusiasm for mission work, you'd think she'd be trying her best to apply her knowledge and skills to do the best work possible (even if it was still a little misguided). This once-a-week thing suggests she's just going through the motions. I wonder how she would have done if she'd gone with Derrick before they had Israel, or with a small group before she got married.

1 minute ago, Stormy said:

This is what makes me worried about what kind of mental/emotional limbo Jill could be in. She's eager to please and do her best and, to cite a previous discussion, Jill is not stupid; with her previous enthusiasm for mission work, you'd think she'd be trying her best to apply her knowledge and skills to do the best work possible (even if it was still a little misguided). This once-a-week thing suggests she's just going through the motions. I wonder how she would have done if she'd gone with Derrick before they had Israel, or with a small group before she got married.

Yes, I agree.

I really don't mean to insult Jill's intelligence (I don't know anything about that, in reality). There are just a few things regarding her knowledge base that, as a viewer, don't really seem to fit together to me, unless there are some things going on in the background that we don't have any visibility to (mental, emotional, etc).

Jill's not stupid but she is ignorant. There's your difference. 

33 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

Yes, I agree.

I really don't mean to insult Jill's intelligence (I don't know anything about that, in reality). There are just a few things regarding her knowledge base that, as a viewer, don't really seem to fit together to me, unless there are some things going on in the background that we don't have any visibility to (mental, emotional, etc).

Yeah, even though her previous (pre-marriage) experiences "in the field" seemed kind of cushy, it was probably a decent enough introduction to missionary work (especially to a teenager). I'm hoping it's just that she's too busy with Israel or something.

26 minutes ago, Stormy said:

Yeah, even though her previous (pre-marriage) experiences "in the field" seemed kind of cushy, it was probably a decent enough introduction to missionary work (especially to a teenager). I'm hoping it's just that she's too busy with Israel or something.

I honestly don't think it was a good introduction. From what's been mentioned, the trips they did before she married pretty much consisted of handing out candy to kids for a week or two. Maybe I'm missing some information, but that doesn't sound like a decent introduction to me.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I honestly don't think it was a good introduction. From what's been mentioned, the trips they did before she married pretty much consisted of handing out candy to kids for a week or two. Maybe I'm missing some information, but that doesn't sound like a decent introduction to me.

I surmise that Jill THOUGHT that her "heart for missions" would be satisfied by doing what she'd done on so many missioncations before: handing out deflated balls and candy and boxes of junk to kids, painting fingernails, singing songs in English. And it probably was. However, DERRICK'S "heart for missions" seems to include actually living in the country for long periods of time and actually trying to be involved with people. He seems to have done a better job of this in Nepal, although I could be wrong about that . He did seem to know how to get around and interact with people there. 

Jill will never be comfortable more than a couple hundred yards from the TTH, although if her family comes to CA, then she'll be more comfortable there than she is now.

I'd shocked if they actually put candy in the pinatas and not tracts .... 

You know, these two much have some friends or connections to legitimate missionaries - why has nobody ever sat them down and told them how to do this properly? How to be useful? By doing a good job, you get more followers, more donations. They HAVE to be aware that most non-leghumper followers think they're doing a shit job. 

1 minute ago, Mela99 said:

They HAVE to be aware that most non-leghumper followers think they're doing a shit job. 

You are assuming they care what we think. I doubt that. It's all about the money for them.

12 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

You are assuming they care what we think. I doubt that. It's all about the money for them.

Well not *us*, but I mean real missionaries and people who do actual good in other places. Aside from their rabid tv fan base, who could possibly think they're doing ANY good? 

I didn't mean us specifically here at FJ. I meant us as in the rest of the whole wide world. If they can justify their mission in their own little minds, then they are all good. No need to give a thought to anyone else's opinions.

I don't think they care what anyone believes, except maybe JB and TLC.

1 hour ago, Chickenbutt said:

See Jill told me she totally cares about what we think. 

she said it while she was making me learn about THE LORD 

On 4/14/2017 at 11:16 PM, nst said:

See Jill told me she totally cares about what we think. 

she said it while she was making me learn about THE LORD 

If she didn't care about what we thought, they wouldn't be trying to explain themselves or answer criticism all the time! Totally agree with you @nst.

The Dillards have regular access to Internet, yes? I'm surprised we didn't see a #heisrisen Instagram post from them. 

18 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

The Dillards have regular access to Internet, yes? I'm surprised we didn't see a #heisrisen Instagram post from them. 

Their money totals must not have risen. :laughing-rolling:

On 4/14/2017 at 10:11 PM, Mela99 said:

I'd shocked if they actually put candy in the pinatas and not tracts ....

If I were to wail on a piñata and only tracts came out when it broke, we'll, that stick would come in mighty handy for what I'd do next. 

On 4/14/2017 at 5:25 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

Jill. Honey.

1. Teaching people in El Salvador how to make piñatas is a little like going to India and telling them how to make saris. Which the British kind of did. Cut the white savior crap.

2. Do you not see the irony of an extremely sheltered girl-woman whose education doesn't extend far beyond whatever her parents deigned to teach her and shadowing a quack who calls herself a midwife teaching "life skills" to people who experience and deal with more in a day than you've ever had to?

This.  All of it.  

Also, Jilly Muffin, those people you're saving, teaching, or whatever the hell you think you're doing for them, are most likely much more educated than you.  You have nothing to offer El Salvador.  In fact, did it even dawn on you that the fucking country is named "The Savior"?  I'll bet it didn't, even though you're supposedly studying Spanish. It's already a mostly Christian country-so Christian that it's even named after Jesus.  Leave these people alone.  They aren't interested in your bullshit cult or your reality show.  You'd be better off taking some basic English composition classes at your local community college.  

I re-watched the episode of 19KAC where Jill and Derick meet eachother for the first time in Nepal a few days ago, and it is really sad to see how different Jill is these days and seem to have no spark whatsoever left (this is true of Derick also to an extent, but not to the same degree as Jill). 

It got me thinking as to how different Jill's and Derick's views on being missionaries really are, and I'm not so sure that they actually had that different expectations. Obviously Derick had been in Nepal for two (?) years and had more realistic expectations, but I believe the reason why Jill and Derick seem to experience El Salvador so differently partly has to do with the circumstances surrounding them when they moved there the first time, and mostly to do with the fact that they already had Israel.

If Jill and Derick had had the chance to be missionaries before becoming parents, they would've been able to do whatever it is Derick's doing together, and Jill would've had a chance to actually get to know the area and the people living there. Israel was what, 4-6 months old when they went the first time? That in itself meant that Jill was more or less confined to be a SAHM in a country she already believes is extremely dangerous, where she doesn't know anyone and while having almost no grasp of the language. 

Add to that the fact that she had had a very difficult birth with Israel that did not go as expected. From what was shown to us I think it's possible, if not probable, that she had post-partum depression (though I'm no expert in this, so I'll assume she didn't), but in any case it'shighly likely she was at least disappointed that the birth didn't turn out the way she had planned. Her upbringing teaches her that she can't be disappointed about this and must keep sweet, which of course builds up even more distress and neglected emotions.

To top this off, right before they went the whole Josh/molestation scandal erupted, which turned everything on its heel. So they went to a new country, where Jill wouldn't be able to acclimatize, and they went at a time when Jill probably needed her family and safety net at home the most.

If they had not had Izzy so soon after getting married, and had gone at another time, I'm pretty sure Jill would not be as miserable as she is now.

Have the Dullards had any sort of baby update after the extremely weird sex reveal photo? The silence is getting quite worrying.

25 minutes ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Have the Dullards had any sort of baby update after the extremely weird sex reveal photo? The silence is getting quite worrying.

They haven't done any specific pregnancy updates that I've seen, but Jill regularly updated their blog/website with things they've been doing in Sinteral America,  and for events like Israel and Derek's birthday's. There was a photo a few weeks ago of Jill and her bump looking quite big.

1 hour ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

The contrast from her first pregnancy is really striking, I've been worrying a bit too.

2 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Based on discussions on the Jessa thread about how she clearly doesn't love Henry as much and wants to leave him on a hillside to die because she doesn't have 80000 photos of him every day like she did with Spurgeon, I'd hazard that Jill's so busy chasing Israel around to make sure he doesn't tongue-kiss the oscillating fan or interact with brown children that she has little time to do Pinterest-y chalkboard updates for little Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Based on discussions on the Jessa thread about how she clearly doesn't love Henry as much and wants to leave him on a hillside to die because she doesn't have 80000 photos of him every day like she did with Spurgeon, I'd hazard that Jill's so busy chasing Israel around to make sure he doesn't tongue-kiss the oscillating fan or interact with brown children that she has little time to do Pinterest-y chalkboard updates for little Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

I really hope you are right. As much as the Dullards annoy me I would NEVER wish them any complications with their pregnancies. 

Her last pregnancy felt like an eternity. I cannot see them having a third one far away from the comfort of family and a big house in Arkansas so we just might enjoy the silence and take it as a break before blessing number 3 will be all over social media again. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived