IGNORED

Gay men tortured in prison camps in Chechnya

Rachel333

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/chechnya-gay-men-concentration-camps-torture-detain-nazi-ramzan-kadyrov-chechen-russia-region-a7677901.html

Those who have escaped said they are detained in the same room and people are kept altogether, around 30 or 40. They are tortured with electric currents and heavily beaten, sometimes to death.

The Chechan leader denies the claims on the basis that there are no gay men in Chechnya. “You cannot arrest or repress people who just don’t exist in the republic.”

This is a horrifying story, and I think it's important that people be aware that this is happening.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/chechnya-gay-men-concentration-camps-torture-detain-nazi-ramzan-kadyrov-chechen-russia-region-a7677901.html
Those who have escaped said they are detained in the same room and people are kept altogether, around 30 or 40. They are tortured with electric currents and heavily beaten, sometimes to death.
The Chechan leader denies the claims on the basis that there are no gay men in Chechnya. “You cannot arrest or repress people who just don’t exist in the republic.”
This is a horrifying story, and I think it's important that people be aware that this is happening.

This is very scary stuff - when I read about this I felt immediately that I needed to do something about. Or at least that something needs to be done about it. What kind of strange thinking are they employing there?

But at the same time I'm scared that nothing will be done. For example, every time North Korea comes up (the camps, the survivors, the atrocities) everyone talks about how something should be done. But North Korean citizens are being born in camps and will die in camps and luckier people will only have to pretend to be faithful to a family that is murderous and narcissistic. Nothing will be done for them, and I'm scared that nothing will be done to help the men in Chechnya either.

• 4 weeks later...

Other news:

Three dead. At least 100 have been arrested. 
Captured men have been tortured to out others. Contacts from their phones have been used to find and arrest other gays. 
After releasing, they have been outed to their families, who've been told to do "what they need to do" with them. At least one was killed by his own family. 
Many have said that they fear living in Chechnya, that they fear about their lives and lives of their family members. It also looks like they may be too scared to look for a basic medical help. 
Some have fled to Moscow and elsewhere. 
Russia will do nothing about this, although several countries have asked Putin to. Nothing surprising here. 
At May 1 there was a protest in Saint Petersburg about this. Protesters were arrested. Or maybe they didn't exist either? 
There was a speculation, that Canada may offer asylum for Chechen gay men. I have no idea, if there is a chance of that actually happening. 
The last free newspaper in Russia has been attacked for publishing this information. At least one journalist has left the country. 
According to Putin, Kadyrov & Co, this is all conspiracy theory from West and gays still don't exist in Chechenya. Because it's a religious country. And they raise their "boys to be boys, and girls to be girls". So, no gays. Ever. (Reminds me about Duggars.)

On 4/11/2017 at 4:09 PM, Rachel333 said:

I'm sure Donnie and Mikey P are aware and gleefully encourage it. They're probably just mad that it's a Muslim guy doing it and that it's not couched in nicer terms like "pray the gay away".

• 4 weeks later...

So, Kadyrov just invited Macron to take Merkel and visit Chechenya to "seek the truth". 
I'm sorry, but this guy is a just piece of shit. 

On 14/04/2017 at 3:11 PM, purjolok84 said:

But at the same time I'm scared that nothing will be done. For example, every time North Korea comes up (the camps, the survivors, the atrocities) everyone talks about how something should be done. But North Korean citizens are being born in camps and will die in camps and luckier people will only have to pretend to be faithful to a family that is murderous and narcissistic. Nothing will be done for them, and I'm scared that nothing will be done to help the men in Chechnya either.

Russia isn't closed off to the world the way north Korea is - gay men should and I dearly hope will leave and ask for asylum in another country (persecution on grounds of sexual orientation is a valid reason to seek asylum).

It's our responsibility to us, in the rest of the world, to pressure our democratically elected leaders to make sure that asylum claims are processed in a speedy manner and aren't being denied on spurious grounds.

Archived