IGNORED

John Shrader Part 11 - God's Grifter Falling Apart

Coconut Flan

28 minutes ago, Howl said:

This comment was left on John's April 1 (!) fb post, Village Ministry in Luangwa District - Final Full Day

Of course, John did not respond.  Of course he didn't.

Screenshot 2017-04-10 at 11.10.53 AM.png

This makes me think that John is being monitored carefully by other missionaries in the area, especially those who are offering medical and other types of assistance.  Previously, John was made aware of another mission that offered air support and John didn't respond to that, either.  
John has mentioned that he has "self pastored" for quite some time.  I'm not a psychiatrist and don't play one on TV, but it seems that at least some narcissists would be prone to a Lone Wolf approach to their endeavors. 

Do you think that other missionaries are trying to draw him into the fold, hoping to influence or contain him?  

I can see John ignoring attempts from other missionaries to get to know him.  On some level he has to know that he's a sham, and would stay away from people who could see that.  And he certainly wouldn't want to share the attention with anyone else.

He probably also wants to keep Esther from anyone who could help her if things go really bad.  Gotta keep her totally dependent on him.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Howl said:

I'm intrigued, so tell us more: Which college and why would he mention it?

John's pretend Bible College AKA the male Bible study group.  The Great and Powerful John made himself some letterhead with something like "Truth Bible College" on it (I can't remember the exact name) and issued them all diplomas.

It's really just like the Wizard of Oz.  To misquote: 

"Why, anybody can have get an education. That's a very mediocre commodity. 

Back where I come from, we have Bible Colleges, where men go to become great pastors. And when they come out, they think deep thoughts and with no more education than you have!

But they have one thing you haven't got - a diploma."

And someone else kicked John's butt on Handia's Facebook:

God sees and knows the pride and sin in your own heart, John. When you insist on people doing things your way instead of seeking God's leadership FIRST, then there are consequences Anyone who has followed your fleshly attempts at pleasing God over the years knows that you lack genuine humility and a love for those you are supposed to be serving. It's all about John Shrader.

No kidding.  

54 minutes ago, Howl said:

John has mentioned that he has "self pastored" for quite some time.  I'm not a psychiatrist and don't play one on TV, but it seems that at least some narcissists would be prone to a Lone Wolf approach to their endeavors.

John's brushed off more experienced missionaries for years - including people cautioning him that the purchase of the land for the church was a possible scam.  I think he rejected Bobby Bonner's caution out-of-hand on that one.  

John has always refused to take advice from anyone, let alone allowing anyone to pastor him.  Valley Baptist told him off but since the great parting of TeamZambia - he's only taken input from Dad.  As Dad seems to think the sun shines out of John's behind it is a very bad combination.

I see this differently.  I think what people are describing as decompensation is just John howling louder and louder.  He is taking pride that he is being persecuted which says to me he thinks he still has the support of his humpers and, in the end, they will save him.  He will never admit he brought this on himself although he may concede that he made some mistakes.  But even after conceding that he will have a excuse. 

Nobody knows how to suffer quite like John.  He is the best sufferer in the world.

Stephen and Isaiah have US passports. Esther already brought them back to the US for a visit last fall.

5 hours ago, formergothardite said:

If you share mutual friends with him you can see his page. A local IFB supports Rea so I have some mutual friends. Rea doesn't seem to accept friend requests from total strangers like John does, which is a wise idea. 

His friends do, though :shifty: 

I am loving this pile-on against John. I'm very glad the converts who have seen through him have a presence on social media...now we're not stuck with John's unique interpretation of everything that's going on.

Spoiler

Me reading this thread :pb_lol:

damn-tyra-wow-sheeit-dayum-dayum-girl-gif.gif.a4dcbf183a7fbbfc3bc9cecf5f2a74e5.gif

Dang, I need some popcorn to watch this sh*tshow!

I just want Esther and the kids to be okay, whatever that will look like-- a nice family in Zambia, somewhere in the US, whatever. Just get those poor innocents away from that lunatic.

I don't think John has ever had to deal with somebody smart and educated like Handia. His world is smaller than it looks. He has been surrounded mainly by people like him, badly educated super religious people. Daddy told him he was special and he believed it. Daddy tells his flock John is special, and they believe it too. John has been told how smart he is, now he is faced by people who really are smart and he doesn't know how to deal with it. 

A little side story, this reminds me of a friend of mine who had a rough childhood. She doted on her young daughter with love and affection and called her princess. Her daughter came home from the first week of Kindergarten upset nobody believed her when she told her classmates she was a princess. We got a good chuckle from it, and she realized she had to encourage her daughter in a different way. 

1 hour ago, Flossie said:

I can see John ignoring attempts from other missionaries to get to know him.  On some level he has to know that he's a sham, and would stay away from people who could see that.  And he certainly wouldn't want to share the attention with anyone else.

He probably also wants to keep Esther from anyone who could help her if things go really bad.  Gotta keep her totally dependent on him.

The Sauders are in Lusaka and have commented quite recently in support.  John Sarro is further away in the Copper Belt but I would guess that he and Bro. Douglas (they are both connected to the Kafulafuto Mission) would help Esther and the kids.

Hmm.  Jolis posted on Facebook on April 8th.

It's not over until God says it 's over!

Sounds like he's not taking John's word for it.

41 minutes ago, Carol said:

I see this differently.  I think what people are describing as decompensation is just John howling louder and louder. 

Nah, not that differently.  I think I was the only person to use that word and it was more along the lines of "if John should decompensate."

Right now, as you say, his mood seems on the upswing.  He is feeding off the supportive comments and prayer he is getting on FB and rejoicing in his "persecution."  His ego is boundless.  

The problem for John is that every time he pulls a satanic attack a few more of his leghumpers drop away.  I don't know whether he has cottoned on to that fact yet.  I do remember that his last dramatic self-abasement got 120+ likes on FB.  This round he's averaging 65.

For those concerned about Esther and the kids - if push actually comes to literal shove and they are stuck there, then the American Consulate will get them home.  Problem is - the Consulate will expect to be refunded the money expended to do so.  I expect they'll work out a repayment schedule with Rick Shrader and the church.

A fair number of us have wondered how long this mission would take to crash and burn. I think we are starting to get an answer to the question. Others have said this is the longest he's stuck with anything. He seemed to leave the states when the grifting reached its heights. How long has this basically pointless mission to save a handful of people lasted now. There doesn't seem to be or have been a definitive time line for how long he intended to stay. We know from past evidence he couldn't support his family in the states. What other mission field is he going to be "called" to next to start the next doomed to fail project?

Where John goes next, what John does next will involve a lot of other people's money.

John will not work at a normal everyday job to feed his kids. EVER.

42 minutes ago, infooverload said:

What other mission field is he going to be "called" to next to start the next doomed to fail project?

I'm not sure what his next venture will be, but after this disaster it will be harder to bring in money.  I'm not sure what else he can go do. I'm pretty sure IBLP doesn't want him. I'm sure he is already coming up with his next grifting scheme, but I have no clue what it will be or how he will pull it off. 

I keep hoping that John will mess up enough and that will become visible enough that not even daddy's church will fund him in any more adventures.

I know this mess involves real people with real pain, but I am fascinated as I watch this megalomaniac's plan crumble like a piece of tragic literature. This is like witnessing a live version of "Poisonwood Bible" and "Heart of Darness" mixed with Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo. 

All three are set in a colonial setting where a presumptuous white male character has a grand plan to control the local people and surroundings for his own gain, and it never ends well.

40 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

I know this mess involves real people with real pain, but I am fascinated as I watch this megalomaniac's plan crumble like a piece of tragic literature. This is like witnessing a live version of "Poisonwood Bible" and "Heart of Darness" mixed with Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo. 

All three are set in a colonial setting where a presumptuous white male character has a grand plan to control the local people and surroundings for his own gain, and it never ends well.

Jeeze, I'd love to see a younger Klaus Kinski play John in the bio-fic: Missionary to Sub-Saharan Africa and Beyond, maybe directed by Wes Anderson.  

And then there's the actual filming of Fitzcarraldo -- with Wener Herzog playing himself as a madman with a grand plan, documented in  Burden of Dreams        No OSHA infractions here: 

Screenshot 2017-04-10 at 4.05.52 PM.png

1 hour ago, usedbicycle said:

This is like witnessing a live version of "Poisonwood Bible" and "Heart of Darness" mixed with Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo. 

Indeed.  I'm afraid we used up Poisonwood Bible as a thread title long ago, but "Heart of Darkness a la Shrader" and "Fitzshradero" have distinct possibilities next time we are stuck.

The only thing that surprises me about all of this is that it has taken so long for John's mission to collapse.  But, damn it, he is still hanging on by the skin of his teeth.

I always hoped Handia would make his escape from Shrader's clutches.  He struck me as way too bright to suffer John for long. I'm so glad he did see the light - and I hope he takes the rest of them with him.

Let's all send lots of positive thoughts for Roderick, Jacqueline and Boyd.  They may be the only three left standing by John's sorry side.  May they soon see John's feet of conniving clay.  

4 hours ago, PopRox said:

I just want Esther and the kids to be okay, whatever that will look like-- a nice family in Zambia, somewhere in the US, whatever. Just get those poor innocents away from that lunatic.

This. I hadn't followed the Zambia Zealot in a long time, so I just emerged from that rabbit hole (extra bedtime treats for the ferrets tonight!) thinking that I sure hope this doesn't turn into another Jonestown. John is clearly steaming in circles, listing heavily, and taking on water right now

I kind of want to PM  Handia and ask him about what happened. I am just curious about whats going on.

It looks like John has opened his FB page for anyone to comment.  I may be mistaken but I thought only his friends could comment.

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

John's pretend Bible College AKA the male Bible study group.  The Great and Powerful John made himself some letterhead with something like "Truth Bible College" on it (I can't remember the exact name) and issued them all diplomas.

Ah, I misunderstood;  I thought it was referring to a Bible college that John himself had attended.  But yes, the Bible College was one of John's schemes.   Can't remember if it predated or postdated the grand chicken scam. Wasn't there also going to be a library with the college?

Currently, John seems to be reveling in persecution on FB; he's positively lying down and rolling around in it.  "Hey, God really DOES love me because he's persecuting me!" 

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

<snip snip> I always hoped Handia would make his escape from Shrader's clutches.  He struck me as way too bright to suffer John for long. I'm so glad he did see the light - and I hope he takes the rest of them with him.

Let's all send lots of positive thoughts for Roderick, Jacqueline and Boyd.  They may be the only three left standing by John's sorry side.  May they soon see John's feet of conniving clay.  

Before today, I didn't spend much time checking out John's local contacts online.  But Handia seems quite clever -- studying nuclear engineering and taking A-levels at Columbia International College? And if he's from Canada, they do have excellent schools there.  Far superior to what John has ever tackled.  I do find it interesting that Handia's time with Shrader's Truth Biblical blah blah blah, he's listed as studying "bibliology," rather than theology. I understand that "bibliology" exists, but studying that under Shrader?  Um...wow.

So glad that Handia's seeing the light and spreading the word.  Much as I feel for Esther and the kids, what John is doing is unconscionable.  Whether or not he can or will admit it to himself, all of his endeavors have been vainglorious attempts to deify himself as God's chosen leader on the path to heaven...and that's not how things work.  

Has Roderick always had a FB which listed a job with data entry?  I remember he passed up a job opportunity to align himself with John's mission, but it'd be wonderful if he'd chosen a better path for himself.  John's only path to prosperity is lined with the love offerings of others, not his own hard work. However, approximately 99% of us need to forge our own paths in life; very few are handed everything (though they certainly exist, sadly & to the detriment of us all.  Worst example ever: the current White House).  But I hope that Roderick noticed John's suspicious description of his grandmother, and that he's been talking with Handia.  He and the missus deserve better lives than whatever John could offer.  

Much as I'd love to watch John realize some hard truths about his life, I agree that he is currently reveling in his status as a persecuted "truth-speaker." Though that might change, as anything is possible. Really curious to see what happens next.  He's a terrible burden to Zambia (and elsewhere) and shouldn't be there.  What he might be qualified to do is beyond my knowledge, but he's certainly not fulfilling God's plan by harassing, berating, and condemning people to hell for not following his narrow & judgmental commandments about earthly living.

Oh he is loving every second! It is Holy Week after all. He's not coming back, nope. I'm sure money is on its way as we speak!

Time to come of your cross John, I bet there are people there who can use the wood and nails to make something useful.

ETA: its fucking Holy Week! This is all playing into his fantasy he is like Christ himself. I wonder what spectacular display he will have for Easter. Miricles and Wonders for sure.

How long has it been since the older children left the US? Passports are only good for 5 years if you are under 18. 

16 minutes ago, KnittingOwl said:

How long has it been since the older children left the US? Passports are only good for 5 years if you are under 18. 

The family landed in Zambia in June/July 2014.

5 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

Not only that, but did they get their immigration ducks in a row before they left and make sure to renew/change visas while in Zambia? Knowing John, I doubt it.

John has been accused of whining.  Some excerpts from his latest wail:

No one but God truly knows what is taking place in our hearts, lives, and ministry right now here in Africa.

So stop criticizing.  Nobody knows the troubles John's seen.

That does not mean we regret that God has called us here, or that we desire to quit or leave. Satan may try to tempt with such, but we giving no place to the Devil.

If we leave it is Satan winning.  

We are not worthy to be Saved, much less serving the Lord here in Sub-Saharan Africa.

True for John.  Perhaps he shouldn't speak for Esther.

Please don't misinterpret or misunderstand the cry of our broken hearts as "whining" or complaining.

Sounds like whining to me.

We are embracing the struggles, pain, and heartbreak as instruments able to be used by our Sovereign God, not necessarily caused by Him, but wonderfully able to be used by Him, to accomplish His Will in our lives.

The surgeon's knife pains when it cuts, but it cuts in order to heal.

We are desiring help and healing from the Great Physician Himself.

Quit the dramatics and go home, John!  You are doing nothing of worth in Africa.

From the comments:

Another missionary rather ignores the Sturm und Drang, sends greetings to Esther and kids, and asks if he is bringing anyone to their next conference.  John says he has no "youth" to bring.

Another pastor (the guy from Singapore who has been critical at times) starts mumbling about the Devil.  John says:

Truth pastor. We know WHO is behind all this. The man we love who is attacking us verbally has a fb page glorifying drug use. Reminds me of Rev. 21:8. The word "sorcerers" there is quite amazing. 

I don't think he means Handia who is in Russia.  I've been checking John's other converts and haven't seen anything about drug use, although most of their pages are private.  The plot thickens.

It is really easy for John to make vague accusations of drug use and sorcery.  His leg-humpers eat them up and will believe everything John says about those unsaved heathen Africans.  

It really pisses me off.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived