IGNORED

FLDS Family in my Neighborhood?

On 4/16/2017 at 3:48 PM, Howl said:

I would think they are designed to accommodate pregnancies without changing to maternity dresses.  Before the Warren Jeffs proclamation limiting sex to seed bearers,  women were pregnant off and on until menopause. 

Here's a gallery of the 1953 Short Creek Raid.  Looks like most women wore simple brands and plain, long, calico shifts. 

The prairie dresses are actually a pretty recent thing - I think they were instituted on a cult-wide basis in the mid to late 90s, from what I've heard. I think it was part of Warren making the culture a lot more separatist and conservative. Before that, they dressed "modestly", but not necessarily like Little House extras.

No idea where the thing about the "perfect oval" face comes from, but I guess every culture has its own weird-ass beauty standards. :pb_confused:

On 4/16/2017 at 9:52 AM, DaisyD said:

I believe that's a picture from after the flash flood. A van full of women and children was swept away.

I think it's from the time when Texas raided the Yearning For Zion ranch. I can't remember the year so the events may have coincided?

The two events were several years apart. The pictures of the women looked very similar, so it could really be from either.

There are actually FLDS and similar groups kind of scattered around the country now, mostly in rural areas where the population is known to be fairly conservative and anti-government involvement. I used to work for a TV station in northern Alabama and we actually did a story on a group of FLDS who came to the area looking for land shortly after the YFZ Ranch raid. The area is famously open to conservative counterculture (there are actual real Confederate colonies there) so I think they were hoping they could fit in quietly and be left alone. Took less than a week for them to end up on TV, and as far as I know they never actually moved there.

On 5/15/2017 at 10:43 AM, NewSeasonOfLife said:

The area is famously open to conservative counterculture (there are actual real Confederate colonies there) so I think they were hoping they could fit in quietly and be left alone. Took less than a week for them to end up on TV, and as far as I know they never actually moved there.

If you have any more information on these confederate colonies, I would love to know more! I had no idea such a thing existed. 

14 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

If you have any more information on these confederate colonies, I would love to know more! I had no idea such a thing existed. 

Not finding anything online about the colonies specifically (shockingly most searches for Confederate stuff bring up the actual Civil War) but here's a page that explains more about the neo-Confederate movement and its associated groups: https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/ideology/neo-confederate

• 3 months later...
On 4/9/2017 at 6:34 PM, meowfundiecatz said:

I've seen them at the gas station and they look just like the ones I've seen online. I've only ever seen 1 man at the home. It's also not a huge house...maybe 3 or 4 bedrooms. They have a camper on the land as well. We have other prairie dress wearers (Mennonites), though they are easily recognizable since they  wear headcoverings. There is also Community of Christ church in my area, so fundie sightings are normal for me.

I drive past this place every day as it is on the same street as my work. They are building a definite self-sufficient homestead type place.

Hi, Im a member of the Community of Christ church and we are the furthest thing from fundamental as you can get. As in: We allow gay and lesbian members to hold the priesthood, ordain women, and do not require a second baptism to become a member to name a few... 

On 9/14/2017 at 2:13 PM, Hufflepuffpride said:

Hi, Im a member of the Community of Christ church and we are the furthest thing from fundamental as you can get. As in: We allow gay and lesbian members to hold the priesthood, ordain women, and do not require a second baptism to become a member to name a few... 

@Hufflepuffpride  You should explain what the Community of Christ is to everyone so they understand the difference. Like who is the founder, beliefs, etc.

9 hours ago, SHERA said:

@Hufflepuffpride  You should explain what the Community of Christ is to everyone so they understand the difference. Like who is the founder, beliefs, etc.

Sure no problem! First here is my church's website: http://www.cofchrist.org/

While it is true we have the same beginnings as the mainstream Mormon churches, we split off from them when Joseph Smith died. Our early history can be found in the website. 

Our beliefs have developed over the years. We use mainly the bible but do recognize the Book of Mormon and have our own Doctorine and Covenants (so we do believe in continuing revelatation). Our mission statement is that we "Proclaim Jesus Christ and promote the communities of love, joy, hope, and Peace."

There is zero polygamy I have ever heard of besides maybe waaàaay back in the day. We can dress however we want, we started to ordain women into the priesthood in the 80s and a few years ago we voted (we vote on all policy) to allow PH members who are LGBTQ to serve in their capacities.

We are currently a very liberal church for the most part (every church has a few more conservative members). 

If you have more specific questions I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

Edited for spelling

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend we stopped at the gas station closest to the "compound" and there were 2 cars full of the ladies. One came into the restroom I was in and I could confirm her hairstyle was in sync with the FLDS. Both cars were newer with Utah plates and VERY tinted windows. One was a very large SUV. It was only women, no men with them. So I assume they were leaving Utah and maybe heading to the "compound" or further East.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Home Depot with my son and daughter in law, there were some flds. My son grabbed my DIL and went through the aisles so he could show them to her. I tried to tell him that really wasn't nice (sigh). Things you see in Utah.

I imagine lots of tourists do that. Not that it makes it any nicer, I'd just guess that they are somewhat used to it. As a kid, I always thought they were some kind of reenactors or something. I'm sure I stared.

Last night at the grocery store I saw a full on FLDS woman. She had the high hair and long dress. I really wanted to stop her and ask her if she was ok.

If anyone is looking for a good way to help people and families in their escape from the FLDS, I'd highly recommend donating (money or clothes or sanitary products!) to Holding Out Help. They do amazing work!

12 hours ago, SHERA said:

Last night at the grocery store I saw a full on FLDS woman. She had the high hair and long dress. I really wanted to stop her and ask her if she was ok.

I always have to resist this urge too.

Archived