IGNORED

FLDS Family in my Neighborhood?

So I think there is an FLDS family in my area. I have to say I am surprised since I don't live in Utah. Does anyone know much about smaller sects or singular families going off on their own?

Are you sure they are flds, of are they some other kind of polygamous family?

I know a few polygamous families here, but none are flds.

That said, I've heard the a significant number of people are fleeing/ being driven out of the flds, so it wouldn't be surprising if the outcasts were spreading out. I'm not sure where you are, but I know there is a sizable population through the western US and parts of central BC, so if they are leaving their traditional towns, it may just be a natural migration to a more mainstream area. Of the ones who move off, i suspect that they would be in flux with a side of culture shock, so it would make sense for there would be a range of religious observance/belief systems in play.

One of my best friends is in a polyamorous relationship.  She and her husband have another live-in partner that he partners with, and she has her "harem" of other men who don't live with them.  If you saw them, you'd see a man and a couple women and might think they're FLDS in a polygamous relationship.  They're diehard militant atheists.

If the family you see isn't hurting you or anyone else and there's no evidence that the people involved are being forced and they aren't inviting the world to comment on them or their lives, then it's not your business.

18 hours ago, meowfundiecatz said:

So I think there is an FLDS family in my area. I have to say I am surprised since I don't live in Utah. Does anyone know much about smaller sects or singular families going off on their own?

Where do you live? If it's anywhere in the mountain states or Texas, there's always a probability. Is there a certain characteristic that makes you think they are FLDS? There are a lot of other polygamist groups that fly under the radar, because they look "normal" if you just see them on the street. 

8 minutes ago, closetcagebaby said:

Where do you live? If it's anywhere in the mountain states or Texas, there's always a probability. Is there a certain characteristic that makes you think they are FLDS? There are a lot of other polygamist groups that fly under the radar, because they look "normal" if you just see them on the street. 

I live in Colorado. There is at least 4 women living near me on a "mini-homestead" type "home." They dress in the prairie dresses and have long braided hair. I've only seen 1 child, a girl.

1 minute ago, meowfundiecatz said:

I live in Colorado. There is at least 4 women living near me on a "mini-homestead" type "home." They dress in the prairie dresses and have long braided hair. I've only seen 1 child, a girl.

Oh yeah, it totally could be flds then! Maaaaybe AUB group but they usually aren't prairie dress wearing. Are you sure the women are all wives? They could just be Run of the mill fundie Christians. 

I've seen them at the gas station and they look just like the ones I've seen online. I've only ever seen 1 man at the home. It's also not a huge house...maybe 3 or 4 bedrooms. They have a camper on the land as well. We have other prairie dress wearers (Mennonites), though they are easily recognizable since they  wear headcoverings. There is also Community of Christ church in my area, so fundie sightings are normal for me.

I drive past this place every day as it is on the same street as my work. They are building a definite self-sufficient homestead type place.

Which part of Colorado? (West Slope vs. Front Range is fine!) I don't imagine many of the very devout FLDS in Denver or Boulder, but I'm sure it's possible. 

1 hour ago, Walking Cat Bed said:

Which part of Colorado? (West Slope vs. Front Range is fine!) I don't imagine many of the very devout FLDS in Denver or Boulder, but I'm sure it's possible. 

Western Slope

There's an FLDS compound between Mancos and Dolores in SW Colorado. There are lots of traditional LDS in western Colorado and I would not be at all surprised to see a mini polygamist offshoot compound on the West Slope.  

What's your take on the age range of the women?  Silly question, but just curious: Are the prairies dresses Little House on the Prairie floral or more like the FLDS dresses in solid pastel colors?

Screenshot 2017-04-11 at 8.56.32 AM.png

Screenshot 2017-04-11 at 8.58.22 AM.png

23 hours ago, gustava said:

I wouldn't assume FLDS, as there are several polygamous offshoots of LDS.

The poster specifically mentions prairie dresses which makes me think FLDS. The AUB, Kingston Clan, etc, tend to dress in "modest" modern clothing from what I understand. 

I'm so curious!  The FLDS have definitely been moving around more, but also many families are getting kicked out/having the fathers excommunicated due to their power struggles.  The prairie dresses are an interesting hint.  

That picture, @Howl, wow.  Those women look so unhappy.  Their distress coupled with the other prairie dress wearers makes for quite the juxtaposition. 

As near as I've been able to tell in recent years (I live very near the Crick, comparatively) they all wear that exact dress. The colors all vary (never red of course) and aren't all pastel by any means (I've seen a number of dark purple and green), but they are all made from the same dress pattern (just like the ones in Howl's first picture). I've often wondered if there's just one set in all the sizes that gets passed around. They can just buy a bolt of fabric and all the women of the house are clothed.

8 hours ago, amandaaries said:

That picture, @Howl, wow.  Those women look so unhappy.

If got my "hair did" like they do, I would have the same expression on my face.  

You can always bake up a couple loaves of banana bread and go welcome them into the neighborhood. If they are polyamorous then you may be in luck. I know a couple families that operate that way and they throw great parties and are very helpful and community oriented. I know I have never met any group of people more serious about consent and communication in relationships.

If they really are FLDS then you'll get the cold shoulder and your question is answered. 

So, to the question of the type/color of dresses, they have so far been only green and purple.

The youngest lady I saw was a girl, who couldn't be more than 11. There are at least 3 younger ladies. 20s/30s? And one much older. Maybe 40s.

They have been working hard on the compound. They tilled a big plot of their land and put up some polls. My husband thinks maybe for beans. They also have planted many more fruit trees. They have it designed that in 10 years or so, you won't be able to see in since they have planted trees.

I think I saw a car go from my job (at a school) to the house, so I will be keeping eyes on that.

I'm seriously not a stalker, but as one interested in fundamentalism and homesteading, this is very interesting.

I'd love to bring them bread or something, but I have been using the phrase "compound" and that kind of describes how they area is set up. To go to the house you have to go up a long driveway and by then you are far on to the property.

Here's hoping they send the little one to school.

They could easily be one wife and 4 children. No one has been allowed to marry since Warren Jeffs has been in prison. Girls in their 20s wouldn't have been old enough for marriage (except to Jeffs, that pervert) before that. There are quite a number of young people in the flds that would have been married with several children by now. Thank goodness for small miracles on that one.

The gap in ages could mean that the children in the middle were all deemed worthy and taken from their parents because their parents weren't worthy.

@DaisyD those hair tutorials bring back memories. Came by them a long time ago. I was like they put on a happy face but my hart went out for the little girl in some of the tutorials. Wonder what was going to happen to her...

On 4/13/2017 at 7:09 PM, DaisyD said:

Have you seen the tutorials? 

What's with the obsession with ovals?  Did I miss the part of the bible where women are ordered to make their heads into ovals?

I have no idea. My guess would be that it was something Rulon Jeffs was into since they've been doing their hair like that for as long as I can remember, but in the pictures from the raid in the 50s they didn't. 

On 4/13/2017 at 9:02 AM, amandaaries said:

That picture, @Howl, wow.  Those women look so unhappy.  Their distress coupled with the other prairie dress wearers makes for quite the juxtaposition. 

I believe that's a picture from after the flash flood. A van full of women and children was swept away.

On 4/13/2017 at 4:05 PM, DaisyD said:

As near as I've been able to tell in recent years (I live very near the Crick, comparatively) they all wear that exact dress. The colors all vary (never red of course) and aren't all pastel by any means (I've seen a number of dark purple and green), but they are all made from the same dress pattern (just like the ones in Howl's first picture). I've often wondered if there's just one set in all the sizes that gets passed around. They can just buy a bolt of fabric and all the women of the house are clothed.

I would think they are designed to accommodate pregnancies without changing to maternity dresses.  Before the Warren Jeffs proclamation limiting sex to seed bearers,  women were pregnant off and on until menopause. 

Here's a gallery of the 1953 Short Creek Raid.  Looks like most women wore simple brands and plain, long, calico shifts. 

lol about calling a brush, comb and scarf etc. "instruments"

thanks for posting these videos again, it's been a while and always puts me into a trance-like state.

Archived